Encourage the League to play attractive football

Probably not call them jobber teams would be a start and a larger share of TV money to allow them to buy better players.

As frustrating as it is they do exactly to us what we do to better teams than us in Europe, and the reason we do that is because it works. I've seen us park the bus on umpteen occasions in Europe, including on our way to a European final. We will go to Portugal next week and come away delighted if we get a 0-0 draw

Is there anything we could do as a league to encourage the jobber teams to abandon their 10 men behind the ball pish and actually try to play progressive expansive football? I am thinking extra points for a certain amount of goals scored etc.

Jobber teams play the way they do as the players they have are limited & it gets them results.

Probably not call them jobber teams would be a start and a larger share of TV money to allow them to buy better players.

As frustrating as it is they do exactly to us what we do to better teams than us in Europe, and the reason we do that is because it works. I've seen us park the bus on umpteen occasions in Europe, including on our way to a European final. We will go to Portugal next week and come away delighted if we get a 0-0 draw

In Europe we don’t launch high balls to a solitary striker with the other 10 camped out at our penalty box.

Football is about getting points on the board, how you get those points is irrelevant at the end of the season.

Reactions: GF7
Most of the league dont have the talent or wage bill to play expansive football. Theres 2 sides to the game. Why would teams open up and get destroyed just to make us feel better?

If you want the spfl to play better football give it SKYs premier league money
Maybe my question is wrong and it should have been - How
Football is about getting points on the board, how you get those points is irrelevant at the end of the season.
Its a spectator sport too - would nice to watch a good brand of football is all I am saying.

Its only when the others play us or them that they do it and tbh its frustrating as f##k but you can't blame them for doing so. It's up to us to find a way of smashing these "low block" teams consistently and then maybe they may think twice about adopting new tactics.

Maybe my question is wrong and it should have been - How

Its a spectator sport too - would nice to watch a good brand of football is all I am saying.
The spectator part is about winning, if Livingston won the league this year their whole fanbase of 5 people would be delighted.

granted it’s a bit different when it comes to us but nobody complained when we got to the final of the europa by playing negative football, there were maybe guys moaning after the game but that soon disappeared.

Its only when the others play us or them that they do it and tbh its frustrating as f##k but you can't blame them for doing so. It's up to us to find a way of smashing these "low block" teams consistently and then maybe they may think twice about adopting new tactics.
Totally agree. I remember us playing Barcelona at home and I don't think I have ever seen such a defensive performance. In fact we were so defensive that their centre half Carlos Puyol played most of the game on their right wing!

Why did we play Barca that way at home? It was because we knew that the difference in resources and therefore standard of players available was so great that we'd probably get tanked if we tried to play them at "football" . I'd suggest that in terms of resources there is a bigger gap between us and Livingston than between us and Barca, therefore we cannot and should not be surprised when the Livingstons of the league adopt such tactics against us.

Ultimately it is up to us to use our superior players to create the openings and be a bit more clinical when the chances occur.

For that philosophy to take hold relegation would have to be scrapped for 5 years and more money injected into the game .... so basically a non starter while financial penalties exist for dropping out a division

League recontruction while counter intuitive to them in the short term(This has for years been the real issue - short termism) would create a closer gap/more competetion between 3rd and the European slots and the prize money that comes with it.

League quality improves = attracts better sponsors/TV deals =better revenue for everyone, but no they all want their 2 home gates against the Glasgow teams.

16 teams 2 up/down 2 play off places. Play once home/away ,your welcome.

Last edited:
I dont mean necessarily to come out against us, but as a league is there any way we can encourage teams to play a better, more exciting brand of football.
More teams in the league. As has been stated earlier in the thread. A sense of security that it becomes a freebie rather than the point that might keep you up.

Back