End of celtic financial dominance

This season is massive.

In terms of Champions League money, we can really hammer our advantage home by winning the title.

If they win, we'll likely have to sell a couple of our top players before we can buy. Whereas if we win the league we'll be able to add to the current squad.

Imperative we maintain our lead over Celtic up until the Old Firm at New Year.

The guarantee of £35 million for winning the title this year is massive.
Will raise one team to a new level and seriously hurt the other.
Could impact for years.
It's so important we win this.
Thats why I'm so glad Sunday and last night weren't SPL fixtures. Both games were high risk, 1 with no gaffer 1 was gios first ... A bit of time for Gio to bed and start a winning streak in league games from sunday

IMO the only reason Celtic have still been able to trade the way they have is simply down to money laundering. Nothing adds up in that place and in line with other goings-on there, there is little chance of the SMSM shining a light on them.

We have to accept that they have signed some players with pedigrees beyond ours-they also paid big cash for some total duds. Kidding ourselves the Daily Record is actually inflating their player's prices is plain daft.
We have a few players that should attract decent fees but it is dependent on a number of factors-we argued for months Alfie was better than Edouard the reality is he wasn't.

All about opinions I suppose but I'd disagree with you on Alfie.

Regarding OP and a level playing field with celtic. Am I right in saying their average season ticket price is a good few quid higher than ours and they sell more of them?

Not sure how that impacts the difference in income though.

It has always irked me how they get good money for their players that shone in a one team league and never did anything in Europe. There is something going on there.

We will only have ourselves to blame if we don’t win the title this year.

We had stability (until Gerrard left at least), they lost half a team in the summer. We haven’t started a campaign as such clear favourites since Mcleish was in charge.

It’s frustrating that we’re only 4 points clear given they lost their first 3 away games - an unprecedentedly bad start for an old firm manager.

But now we can turn a new page with Gio. Imperative he delivers the title this year - I was far from confident Gerrard was going to
Agree with everything, except last bit
I really think gio has them in better shape (albeit too early to really tell)
Over gerrard gio has more experience
Both have great contacts, but cause gerrard comes from EPL they all blow their own trumpets and make gerrard sound like the second coming..
Gio comes from a more reserved place.

Gio already doing some wee tweets I like
Alfie back up front
Patterson and tav on
Says he'll play 4 3 3, then goes 4 3 2 1 - leaves opposition guessing (gerrard a little more predictable)

Apart from that bang on the money

Not when they have a top Oirish money launderer at their disposal. Allegedly.

I’m surprised the rest of us aren’t much much further behind tbh.

They are not as cash rich as some on here think they are,
Been listening to fairytales like this for 2 decades. The reality is their board won't accept massive losses.

Their player trading model makes them money most seasons.

I'm not advocating mimicking them but until we put a marker down and sell a player for a big fee, we'll be seen as soft touches.

As long as our directors have deep pockets and are willing to fund and cover shortfalls then we are equal to them financially. They are a plc, directors will not put their own cash into it.

All about opinions I suppose but I'd disagree with you on Alfie.

Regarding OP and a level playing field with celtic. Am I right in saying their average season ticket price is a good few quid higher than ours and they sell more of them?

Not sure how that impacts the difference in income though.

It has always irked me how they get good money for their players that shone in a one team league and never did anything in Europe. There is something going on there.

So what's going on? Sounds like paranoia to me ultimately their player had a higher pedigree than Alfie and they spent 9x the amount on him.......

Obviously getting the champions League money is massive for us. Our team was good enough last year and tbh with a fresh start thanks to Gio I think we will do it this year..

I notice they have higher average home attendances than us due to having more seats , so that's giving them an advantage, so surely longer term we should be looking to build bigger!

Obviously getting the champions League money is massive for us. Our team was good enough last year and tbh with a fresh start thanks to Gio I think we will do it this year..

I notice they have higher average home attendances than us due to having more seats , so that's giving them an advantage, so surely longer term we should be looking to build bigger!
It’s only an advantage if the attendances are what they say they are. I’m not sure if they’re still hiding them or not now but while we were in the lower leagues they were definitely giving false numbers.

The guarantee of £35 million for winning the title this year is massive.
Will raise one team to a new level and seriously hurt the other.
Could impact for years.
It's so important we win this.
I don’t actually agree that it’s as important as it may seem at least to the paedos.

For us yeah it’s massive because of our financial model over the last five years.

But the paedos are evidently DOWNSIZING their costs, including their wage bill. If they win the league they won’t be spending that £30-40m to blow us out the water. The fact that they have secured Welsh, Ralston and Taylor on long term deals tells you all you need to know about the route they are heading.

Sure the money will give them a healthy advantage especially because it will mean we will need to sell more players than we will if we win the league, but it won’t be the disaster some are making out. I’d still be hopeful of winning the next league season if the paedos were to win this one.

Been listening to fairytales like this for 2 decades. The reality is their board won't accept massive losses.

Their player trading model makes them money most seasons.

I'm not advocating mimicking them but until we put a marker down and sell a player for a big fee, we'll be seen as soft touches.
They are the embodiment of new wealth. All shouty and brash. For the first time in their entire history they have a run on us financially and that's only down to circumstance so let's have it right. Rangers are traditionally the business club in this city and will be again.

This season it's related to player trading.

Over the last twenty years it's related to them having ten thousand more seats in their stadium. It gives them a head start every season.

It’s all about this year’s title. We win it and they are on the back foot, they win it and it’ll be a tough few years for us.

They will strengthen in January. It’s imperative we win this title.
This

We need to win the league this season £

This will not be a popular view but financially they are doing well and in a completely different phase of our business plan so are we.
They are not selling to survive and caught in a death spiral of "down sizing". They have restructured and reduced their costs to reflect they won't be qualifying for the champions league every season and built a sustainable player trading model with adequate cash reserves. This is exactly what we are aiming to do ourselves, we will be there in two seasons. After that there won't be much between the teams, they still have slightly higher revenues from season ticket sales and commercial activities but the gap is really narrowing.
I love Dave King he is a Rangers legend but the whole house of cards thing was just naive.

Last edited:
I don’t actually agree that it’s as important as it may seem at least to the paedos.

For us yeah it’s massive because of our financial model over the last five years.

But the paedos are evidently DOWNSIZING their costs, including their wage bill. If they win the league they won’t be spending that £30-40m to blow us out the water. The fact that they have secured Welsh, Ralston and Taylor on long term deals tells you all you need to know about the route they are heading.

Sure the money will give them a healthy advantage especially because it will mean we will need to sell more players than we will if we win the league, but it won’t be the disaster some are making out. I’d still be hopeful of winning the next league season if the paedos were to win this one.
The other point folk seem to overlook is that the team who finish second could still make the CL as well. It'd be ironic but strangely inevitable that after years of Scottish teams fucking up easy paths to the group stages next year would be when they did it from a kunt of a qualifying system

We'll see if they buy big in January but people expected them to do that this year and last and they didn't, so I'm not so sure they have the pots of cash a lot of people think they do ("cash rich" in the words of Walker). We do need to win the league this season though to get us on an even keel earlier than we could have hoped just a few short years ago.
They have spent about £30m in the last 2 summers. Yes, they have balanced by selling but perhaps they will spend in January.

The other point folk seem to overlook is that the team who finish second could still make the CL as well. It'd be ironic but strangely inevitable that after years of Scottish teams fucking up easy paths to the group stages next year would be when they did it from a kunt of a qualifying system
The qualifying for the second team is extremely difficult.

It always annoys me that even now, celtic seem to be able to buy their way out of trouble.
What with all the years rangers were not even around, they still have an unfair advantage.
I know we posted 26m losses, but they posted 12.6m losses (not sure why we were so much higher) (knowledgeable punters info welcome).
But what with their continued poor European form, I really hope rangers winning this years league goes a LONG way to redressing the balance of power.
If they have large wage bills it could finally impact on them...

This could be the year

Thoughts
The part in bold is quite simple. Player sales.

We better buck our ideas up or there will be no end to their financial dominance if they get into the champs league next year. I was quite surprised to see they were nearly beating leverkusen who played us off the park, i dont watch the German league so dont know what they are like now are they as good as when we played them? I was on tiktok earlier and one of the scums goals came up and they looked really fast and decisive on the counter, we need to up our game as they wont be as easy to beat as they have been recently.

Keeping Edouard,Ajer and Christie for the big push for the fabled 10 must have cost them about £15 million in transfer fees add in merch sales easily another £5/10 million but they still managed more than decent player sales to keep them afloat and finance the start of a rebuild
Its pretty easy to see they are downsizing with the knockback from Howe as he wasn't seemingly happy with the transfer policy or having staff forced on him add in the longer term contracts they are handing out which will be lower wages with bigger incentives[seemingly Christies old boy would tell anyone within earshot his basic was£4/5k per week]
Winning the league this year is extremely important for both clubs but as their agm showed us it will be absolutely disastrous for them to lose it and full civil war would follow
If we win the title this season i hope Mike Ashley is keeping an eye on developments as many of their cheerleaders in the media seemed to think he was a good fit for us
Whatever happened to the soft loans from the co-op which were often talked about on here

It always annoys me that even now, celtic seem to be able to buy their way out of trouble.
What with all the years rangers were not even around, they still have an unfair advantage.
I know we posted 26m losses, but they posted 12.6m losses (not sure why we were so much higher) (knowledgeable punters info welcome).
But what with their continued poor European form, I really hope rangers winning this years league goes a LONG way to redressing the balance of power.

This could be the year

Thoughts

Our losses were more as Celtic bring in more cash from retail etc.

To be fair in the fake success years they didnt exactly spend huge amounts of money. The odd big signing but for the most part if was loans or average market transfers really.

It didnt take a lot to stay ahead given we were a shambles and no other club in Scotland has a pot to p!ss in or a window to throw it out.

I suspect the Scottish Media often played up their financial muscle.

This season it's related to player trading.

Over the last twenty years it's related to them having ten thousand more seats in their stadium. It gives them a head start every season.
To be honest this was Fergus McCanns shrewdest move a lot of people at the time sneered when he built a 60k stadium but it gives them a safety net/advantage on us every year

A higher pedigree based on what? What did Edouard do so much better at celtic than Morelos has done at Rangers?
What he means is that they paid £9m for Eduoard he was already established as a good player in a better league. We bought a raw diamond in Alfie and made him a better player.

Needless to say when the time does come to get rid of Bolingoli they will tell us they got £8m for the last 6 months of his contract.
True. It does really fûcking annoy me though, the money they get for their (overrated) players. I know the press inflate their fees but their accounts don’t lie. The fees for Ajer and Edouard were significant and I was hoping they would have just run down their contracts and left for %^*& all.

This could be the year

Thoughts

The difference in losses is them selling Frimpong in Jan for about 12m and us keeping Alfie when we had 16m bid on the table. If we sell, and they don't, they're 24m in the red and we're 10m in the red.

I'm glad we didn't. We needed the title last year. But I think you'll find going forward that we will accept such bids.

The difference in losses is them selling Frimpong in Jan for about 12m and us keeping Alfie when we had 16m bid on the table. If we sell, and they don't, they're 24m in the red and we're 10m in the red.

I'm glad we didn't. We needed the title last year. But I think you'll find going forward that we will accept such bids.
Not sure why people think they got £12m for Pingpong. They announced in their latest books they made £9.4m in player trading of Pingpong, Hendry and Klimala. We know Hendry went for £2.5m and Klimala around £2.5-£3m. So Pingpong was around £4m. Another example of false info to keep there unwashed followers happy and misinformed.

We win this year and we are back on an even keel, with a better squad. Jan is dangerous though, sell the wrong player and it can come back to bite us. The model means we sell at the right price.

True. It does really fûcking annoy me though, the money they get for their (overrated) players. I know the press inflate their fees but their accounts don’t lie. The fees for Ajer and Edouard were significant and I was hoping they would have just run down their contracts and left for %^*& all.
They started the player trading while we were still being raped by the spivs,they were under no pressure to sell until the right bid came in with a guaranteed league win
They built up good contacts down south and in fairness many of their ex players have done well down south
I just find comfort in the fact that they really should be over the hill and far away from us

This could be the year

Thoughts
Winning the league means nothing (financially) if you don’t get into CL.

I would imagine our figures aren’t going to get much bette unless we sell big players gift big money or get into CL.

They have always sold assets for big money which helped them

I’ve said it before once their very own SEVCOs (Separate entity victim compensation orders) come rolling in they’ll be on their knees.

Not sure why people think they got £12m for Pingpong. They announced in their latest books they made £9.4m in player trading of Pingpong, Hendry and Klimala. We know Hendry went for £2.5m and Klimala around £2.5-£3m. So Pingpong was around £4m. Another example of false info to keep there unwashed followers happy and misinformed.
Well spotted. So either those players went for less, or cost more than they made out. Or most likely a bit of both.

Back