England and Scotland are on different planets right now

England has at least ten times Scotland's population and a huge young/recent immigrant population where talented footballers tend to be drawn from. They're obviously going to be on a different level from Scotland.

The obvious question is why though. At academy level rangers recent results have shown they are on a par with English teams and other top teams around Europe so what happens? How often do players come through and really shine? Englands academy system looks like it's really starting to pay off

Because academy level doesn't mean shit. Most of the kids in our team who won that irrelevant tournament a few months ago will struggle to make it as professional footballers. Same as most of the kids in all the other teams involved.

Elite youth football is about the best 2% or 3% of kids involved who have a legitimate shot at making it at a lower level. The rest are there to fill jerseys around them

I'm loving every fùcking minute of it.
The bitter tartan trannies deserve everything that's happening to them thanks to their small minded, bigoted hatred of us and their jealous, chip on their shoulder attitude towards England and their setup.
The SNP have also created an us and them attitude amongst their supporters rather than admiration for another home nation, englands success is met with spite at every turn

Scotland is a republican shithole that quite happily destroyed it's own football setup and I for one am loving it.

Would it be too far to put on my 3 lions shirt and go for a walk around the forge market....would it fùck, I'm delighted to rub their twisted, sturgeon, inbred faces in it. :cool:

Not always, mate. Did you know at one time Scotland were miles ahead of England in head to head wins? Something like nine wins ahead of them... This was about 1960 ish, so we weren't always useless c#nts.
Take your point mate, should have qualified it by adding in more recent times.

That said ,there was also a time when the whole country would get right behind our nation and Hampden was an absolute cauldron for the English .

Have watched many a better side than us on paper fold before the game kicked off, even Wembley was taken over by 80% Scots fans .

The gap now though is by far the biggest in my memory and I'm not sure I see how it closes..

would say I support England more than Scotland nowadays and I grew up in a family who loved watching England losing in major championships

it's not a football rivarly any more with the SNP in charge, it's pure hatred and that's not on for me. Don't have a problem when it's something like a sport but when it's in every normal waking minute of the day then every England success that makes them rage is great :cool:

would say I support England more than Scotland nowadays and I grew up in a family who loved watching England losing in major championships

it's not a football rivarly any more with the SNP in charge, it's pure hatred and that's not on for me. Don't have a problem when it's something like a sport but when it's in every normal waking minute of the day then every England success that makes them rage is great :cool:
Yip, now been taken over and followed by Mel Gibson disciples.

The rivalry between Scotland and England was what made it the spectacle it once was but , as you say, apart from the real lunatics it was a sporting rivalry and no more.

Been hijacked by self loathers and hate filled nationalists, much like Scotland in general.

Am I the only person not surprised that Scotland lost ? I would have taken Kazakhstan to win this any day of the week, in their own ground. Celtic played there twice and didn't win.

Scotland has to get it's role in world football into perspective. We are way down there with the diddy teams.

Guy in the pub last night said to me that Roberson and Tierney are the only "world class" Scottish players. That shows the depth of our problem Media and fans have no clue as to how bad we are, when they think good players are "world class".

Get it in perspective Scotland and start from there. A draw in Kazakhstan would have been a good result.

England will get found out when they play one of the good footballing nations, like France, Germany etc

Last edited:
Because academy level doesn't mean shit. Most of the kids in our team who won that irrelevant tournament a few months ago will struggle to make it as professional footballers. Same as most of the kids in all the other teams involved.

Elite youth football is about the best 2% or 3% of kids involved who have a legitimate shot at making it at a lower level. The rest are there to fill jerseys around them

Don’t really get this to be honest. 99% of pros across the world come through the academy system so it does mean something. When you look at countries the same size as us they produce a much better standard of player, why is that?

It's too sweeping to say it's just about academies. We produced Barrie McKay who technically was an excellent player but he has too passive an attitude to ever play at the top level - you can't bottle that and give it to players.

Journalists in this country praise teams like Kilmarnock and Aberdeen who just launch the ball up in the air, run, kick, grunt, waste time and feign injury and then scratch their collective heads when the national team has it's arse handed to them when they play any side with a decent level of technical ability with a ref that applies the rules properly.

It's not really a surprise when you have clubs owned by billionaires who have ploughed funds into their youth systems. This is also supplemented by the vast sums from TV rights. Not exactly rocket science to make a connection between that & quality/number of home grown players.

In saying that, England are overrated. They had the easiest run possible at the world cup & lost the first game that presented a real tough challenge.

In recent years, they have tended to ghost through qualification against p*sh like the Czechs. Its the real test against the premium teams in competative games that they always fall down

I dont like to have a go at big eck but i think the reason he was given the job was because the national side isnt all that important to the press or the sfa(or celtic if you prefer to call them by their proper name) its a way to say see there you go we do have Rangers men involved. Ofcourse his assistant is ex tim and the other guy tim supporter and team is packed full of tims.

No matter who the manager is hes always under pressure to pick as many of that mob as possible. It means even if you lose the way Scotland did the other night theres still every chance you keep your job. Lose that way with a team full of English based players or even worse from Rangers then press would made sure you didnt get back into the country.

Scotland is a wee extra trip away or a game to watch on telly down the pub our national sport is hating Rangers, causing Rangers as many problems as possible. I mean which league in world football has half a dozen top referees that go out to corrupt (our) games and enjoy seeing our players being injured, while doing the tims favours every time they need one... and no one says a word because a successful Celtic is all that really matters.

Southgate is doing brilliantly. I never thought he'd be so good. Fair play

Im not a huge fan of Henderson and Dier together but worked well enough tonight again

He literally played two good teams at the World Cup and lost to them both.

Am I the only person not surprised that Scotland lost ? I would have taken Kazakhstan to win this any day of the week, in their own ground. Celtic played there twice and didn't win.

Scotland has to get it's role in world football into perspective. We are way down there with the diddy teams.

Guy in the pub last night said to me that Roberson and Tierney are the only "world class" Scottish players. That shows the depth of our problem Media and fans have no clue as to how bad we are, when they think good players are "world class".

Get it in perspective Scotland and start from there. A draw in Kazakhstan would have been a good result.

England will get found out when they play one of the good footballing nations, like France, Germany etc

Agree with all of this, although I myself think that Robertson is world class.

He literally played two good teams at the World Cup and lost to them both.
And is blooding Sancho, the kid from Chelsea and playing attacking football that is light years ahead of shortsighted shortbread SFA.

The guy is doing a better job than anticipated like I initially stated.

My opinion and facts seem to be backing it up.

Ranked 5th I believe. For a novice manager. England are getting it right either by luck or design.

Deal with it.

Germany are not the same team anymore, they’re golden era was a couple of years back. England probably have the best forward line in Europe so to say they would get found out is wrong.

Remember they went to Spain and won 3-2

It's not hard to be on a different planet football wise. Scotland have a destructive group looking after them that have zero interest in Scotland being even remotely successful at football. England want to win things - they want to improve - they want to entertain.

The SFA want to appease a group of people who just hate. Hate so much that failure is so much more important as long as they can continue to hate. The SFA needs to be ruled by people who don't give flying %^*& what Celtic want, or what diddy fans that want hate want. Solely focused on getting better and developing the game. Someone who actually wants to try improve Scottish football.

Can't see that happening and we'll just slip away into a footballing backwater. All the time Celtic fans, staff and management along with their SFA buddies pat themselves on the back for causing the downfall.

Heard all this with the Golden generation of SG, Lamps and Scholes. They will find a way to phuck up. They always do. Impressive tonight though.
Listening to Talksport this week and a few ex players saying that although those were players where individually they were brilliant there were obvious cliques in the team based on what teams they played for and the team spirit wasn't there when needed. What they are seeing with this recent team is a togetherness and it was obvious last night these players are have definitely bought into Southgate's plan. For me I would say it is more likely than before because a few of the bigger international teams aren't as consistent as they were in previous years.

I've noticed that the public and the crowd are far more behind the team than I can remember for a long time, no coincidence that the players seem to enjoy playing for England a lot more these days

Everything about Scottish football (except us) is absolutely awful.

Style. Skill. Refereeing. Governance. Corruption.

Honestly, the whole thing needs ripped up and start again or we are headed into global obscurity, a diddy country.

Of course they are on a different planet - has the OP somehow missed the billions of pounds being pumped into English football in recent seasons whilst we have lived off relative crumbs??

England right now have some of the most exciting young talent on the plant, evident in German teams who have some of the best youth systems on the planet coming in for them.

It’s not only England though, the rest of the UK seem to be producing elite to good EPL players regularly.

Is it the culture or is it something else?
I think it is as basic as their referees apply the laws of the game where as up here they allow tackles that in other leagues would not be tolerated

England have put a lot of money into youth football and it’s bearing fruit.

Scotland really have to scrap everything and start again. The system as is favours big and clunky players rather than trying to develop footballers.

Scotland being shite has been happening long before our demotion in 2012. Apart from a spell under Walter it’s been abysmal. We must have the worst away record outside the dross in Europe.
We are part of the dross in Europe.

Everything about Scottish football (except us) is absolutely awful.

Style. Skill. Refereeing. Governance. Corruption.

Honestly, the whole thing needs ripped up and start again or we are headed into global obscurity, a diddy country.

This is all true.

The only time we can truly judge the Scottish game is when we play international or european teams.

Something is badly wrong in Scotland and it is getting worse.

Everything is falling into place for England right now, senior players have/are maturing into top quality players and they have young lads coming through that look very good indeed. Another major honour could very well be, Wembley bound.

As for Scotland, the SFA, they are pishing in the wind with their mentally challenged mentality.............

Don’t worry, Henry McLeish is working on sorting out all the ills of Scottish fitba

His findings will be implemented soon
Any report that urges meaningful change (that doesnt benefit the Yahoos or perpetuate the committee/junket culture) will be filed in the same bin as Rinus Michel's 1995 report for Ernie Walkers "think tank".

In all honesty Scotland are on a par with the likes of Malta and Andorra these days. We should have to play in a preliminary qualifying round.

Of course they are on a different planet - has the OP somehow missed the billions of pounds being pumped into English football in recent seasons whilst we have lived off relative crumbs??
Northern Ireland and Wales seem to be progressing and minnows of the past seem to be catching up or overtaking.

The SFA needs cleansed.

England has at least ten times Scotland's population and a huge young/recent immigrant population where talented footballers tend to be drawn from. They're obviously going to be on a different level from Scotland.
I’m watching Wales vs Slovakia and Wales are on a different planet to Scotland now despite having a lesser population and football not even being their No 1 sport.

Wales are playing brilliantly.

Our problem is it’s still the fashionable thing for a Scottish player to be hard as fuk, the heeder ice type, but have absolutely zero technical ability.

The press absolutely powered oduwa to have the audacity to bring skill to the Scottish game. We are a footballing backwater and will continue to be forever due to the hatred within the game. Nothing will change.

And is blooding Sancho, the kid from Chelsea and playing attacking football that is light years ahead of shortsighted shortbread SFA.

The guy is doing a better job than anticipated like I initially stated.

My opinion and facts seem to be backing it up.

Ranked 5th I believe. For a novice manager. England are getting it right either by luck or design.

Deal with it.

Design.

St. Georges Park is an incredible facility and all levels of England's set-up use it. There doesn't seem to be an impenetrable barrier between all age groups and there is joined up thinking from the youth set-up all the way to the national team.

They know what they are doing, they have the best training facilities of any footballing nation, they motivate the youngsters by providing them the tools, advice and pathway to make the first team and the players themselves are technically gifted beyond their years, forced to play in top teams to keep their place due to competition.

Plus, you could build a 4-3-3 team is a genuine contender for the Euro's from those aged 25 or under.

Pickford, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Stones, Chilwell, Winks, Barkley, Alli, Sterling, Kane, Sancho

England and Scotland are on different planets right now.
Having just watched the English demolish the Czech republic and being unfortunate enough to watch much of that debacle yesterday afternoon, the contrast between the two nations could be greater.
England are a team full of young talented energetic footballers managed by a tactically savvy and forward thinking young coach.
As much as I have time for big Eck for what he did for us whoever takes on the Scotland job is going to have to do what Southgate did and involve the young talented players who are winning matches at under 17 and under 19 levels in European tournaments.
It’s time for the media to shut up and stop portraying average Celtic players as European footballing colossuses.
There are good young Scottish players out there but they’re getting nowhere near the intrrnstional set up.

Totally it all about the grass roots expenditure not just throwing a squad together of who’s available ?

Look at the assistants head coaches Grant and McFadden come on what do they have to offer ?

To echo above, you don't need to compare England and Scotland, instead look at how Northern Ireland and Wales go about their business with arguably fewer resources
Watching N.I last night there is a clear game plan , a togetherness and a will to win that just isn't present in the Scotland camp.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark and has been for some time .

Trouble is, it's a complex issue and there are no easy answers , radical change both on and off the park is what's needed .

I'm not sure there is the will nor the intelligence in our game to see what is required and go about setting it right.

I think we should have a think tank, oh thats right we've had about 10 of those by Henry McLeish and it has done nothing to improve our game at a domestic level or international level.

Even Wales and N.I are better than Scotland.

Back