England Women 6-0 up after 30 minutes

Funnily enough I was just reading some quotes from the Leeds chief exec on the future of the game.

A more equal distribution of wealth amongst the pyramid is shot down and described as “Maoist” and yet also says “there should absolutely be renewed focus on the women’s game”.

Come on. I’m not one to belittle them but the coverage is already excessive. You can check the sports web pages these days and it’s Women this, Women that. The proportion of coverage to the level of public interest is ridiculous

And yet put them in against a decent team of male youths that really went for it, they'd be squeeling from the rooftops.

There are some really talented woman footballers out there it's just the standards are so different from country to country. Oh and the keepers. The keepers are rotten

I'm a big advocate for the women's game (having a daughter who plays does that to you) but some of the scores across the board tonight really should bring about discussion about how it is going to move forward.

The young fans seemed to enjoy it so it can only be good for the game in England. For the sport in general it’s an utter disgrace, surely it should now be down to having professional players and countries with professional leagues only

The goal size isn’t the biggest issue. It’s that the gulf between the top teams and the rest is such a huge chasm that they really have no business playing one another.

It’s not like us playing Stirling Albion and the magic of the cup, it’s like us playing a random bunch pulled from 5 aside pitches.

It should simply be a much smaller affair. Your country should have to reach a certain level of development of the women’s game before they get access to professional tournaments. Because results like this serve no purpose other than to diminish the sport

The goals shouldn't be the same height as the men's game.

And the pitches shouldn't be the same size.

Women need to get off their ego trip and see they need to prioritise changing their version to get eyes on a decent product instead of trying to do everything same as men and demanding it works

I love football and most other sports, but i would never watch women's football because personally i think it is awful (i have tried) but i would put it up with showjumping/syncronised swimming and a few others i would just not watch, this is only my opinion some people may love it.
If they went in front of the Dragons Den panel with that product asking for investment they would come out empty handed.

Funnily enough I was just reading some quotes from the Leeds chief exec on the future of the game.

A more equal distribution of wealth amongst the pyramid is shot down and described as “Maoist” and yet also says “there should absolutely be renewed focus on the women’s game”.

Come on. I’m not one to belittle them but the coverage is already excessive. You can check the sports web pages these days and it’s Women this, Women that. The proportion of coverage to the level of public interest is ridiculous
The worst is when you click on an article to find out about the new Arsenal or Chelsea signing only to discover it’s the women. Im not interested in pretend football.

To be fair, the England manager did come out and say these types of match ups shouldn’t be happening as no one is learning from it. It’s still an emerging sport in many countries and they just shouldn’t be competing at the same level as the likes of the big nations. You see this in rugby and cricket as well, smaller nations getting absolutely pumped by the big guns. Italy haven’t won a game in 30 in the 6 nations ffs.
I’ll always stick up for the women’s game as my daughter loves playing and dreams of being a footballer when she’s older. I can admit tho that lots of changes have to be made to bring it forward and I certainly don’t think they should be on the same money as men, unless they are bringing in more revenue, which is highly unlikely.

Back