England Women 6-0 up after 30 minutes

He's not saying it's in the grand scheme of life. We're talking within a football context, and he's right. Why did you have to be so wanky there?
Because tadgers like him try to be so right on they complain about women’s sport in general being criticised , even when it’s clear there’s issues in that sport .

People like him also probably have no issue with trans men competing in women’s only sport either .

It’s people like him who would rather pretend everythings okay and not risk offending anyone rather than tackle the issues head on and make improvements .

These attitudes actually harm some s sport rather than improve it

The goal kick by the Latvian keeper at the end summed them up! It was one of those rare occasions when you could actually lose count of the score, funny in many ways that game although what do you say to your team after that if you're the Latvia manager? Maybe a "we'll, at least it wasn't 21"!

This score has frustrated the hell out of me this morning.

Firstly, and in general, the BBC going completely over the top about it.

Secondly, and I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4, Gary Richardson, the man who allegedly is the real life inspiration for Alan Partridge, leads his sports report with England Ladies totally pointless victory over an opposition who shouldn't have shared a pitch with them to start with. The real football, he relegates to second billing, giving just a cursory mention to the results of the games played last night. Seriously, these are deemed less important than an absolute farce in Doncaster.

Woman's football has it's place, of course it has, but it needs to learn it's place and it ain't before REAL football.

Still, I did get one laugh out of Gary Partridge. At 06:30 he gave his racing tips, one of which, for the 12:40 at Haydock, Seymour Sox, he announced as "Seymour Cocks".

Good old Gary!
:))

Some amount of turd polishing from the BBC on this.

Men’s teams beat weak opposition 5/6/7 nil and we’re told that it’s a pointless exercise, while we’ve got a 20-0 game that they were genuinely talking up.

It does the women’s game no favours, alongside the 11-0, 8-0 and 7-0 scores coming in last night.

It's a farce let's be honest. Watched the Spain goals against Scotland this morning. The level is an utter joke. A decent u14s boys team would hammer both teams.

You see this in sports where the disparity is so big in resources between nations. A country like Latvia is hardly flush in resources for the men’s game let alone the women’s game.

It’s getting a little better in Rugby but there used to be huge mismatches between nations at times. I remember Australia beating Namibia 142-0 in a game once in the actual World Cup group matches.

Some amount of turd polishing from the BBC on this.

Men’s teams beat weak opposition 5/6/7 nil and we’re told that it’s a pointless exercise, while we’ve got a 20-0 game that they were genuinely talking up.

It does the women’s game no favours, alongside the 11-0, 8-0 and 7-0 scores coming in last night.

For years on here and other places the complaint is the arrogance of the commentators and pundits when it comes to England, as if they are entitled to be in finals for tournaments and teams are beneath them because of 1966.

Let the women take their glee.

I genuinely believe you could get 11 guys from FF to play the best women's team in the world and we'd beat them comfortably.

My sister played football at a decent level. She absolutely loved it and rightly so, when I played amateur stuff on a Saturday morning I couldn't wait to the weekend. When you're involved in it its totally consuming.

However, I knew I was rotten at football and the team I played in was crap. When I said that even my crap amateur Saturday morning team could easily compete, and I believe likely beat, even the best female football team in Britain we'd have constant debates about it.

I feel like a w*nk saying this but female football shouldn't be getting the coverage it does. Its a horrendous standard and is advertised the same as men's football on Sky Sports and the likes when it really shouldn't, sounds very unfair saying that but its the truth.

No one seems allowed to say how bad it is though without getting slaughtered for saying it.

My sister played football at a decent level. She absolutely loved it and rightly so, when I played amateur stuff on a Saturday morning I couldn't wait to the weekend. When you're involved in it its totally consuming.

However, I knew I was rotten at football and the team I played in was crap. When I said that even my crap amateur Saturday morning team could easily compete, and I believe likely beat, even the best female football team in Britain we'd have constant debates about it.

I feel like a w*nk saying this but female football shouldn't be getting the coverage it does. Its a horrendous standard and advertised the same as men's football on Sky Sports and the likes when it really shouldn't, sounds very unfair saying that but its the truth.

No one seems allowed to say how bad it is though without getting slaughtered for saying it.

I used to play 7s with a group of lads and sometimes they'd bring a lassie along who plays with Ireland and has also played with the likes of Celtic, Glasgow City and Arsenal women teams.

Decent enough player in terms of being able to hold her own to an extent, but still the worst player there.

Annoys me how it is being forced on us. You go to sports pages and a women's team who are lucky to get a few hundred people watching them are alongside Chelsea or something.

I am surprised that the likes of SKY don't realise it's crap as they must lose loads of money from it.

I used to play 7s with a group of lads and sometimes they'd bring a lassie along who plays with Ireland and has also played with the likes of Celtic, Glasgow City and Arsenal women teams.

Decent enough player in terms of being able to hold her own to an extent, but still the worst player there.

Exact same happened with us. We had a game on a Thursday and the standard was very good, even some ex-pros used to come along and play as they would coach with some of the boys that played with us.

One week they brought along 2 girls from I think Glasgow City or something like that. First 5 mins everyone was standing off the girls that were playing as it was a bit odd, Eventually though they got treated as the men did and it was a total liberty watching them struggle. I felt rotten but at least I wasn't the worst player there for a change B-D

Funnily enough I was just reading some quotes from the Leeds chief exec on the future of the game.

A more equal distribution of wealth amongst the pyramid is shot down and described as “Maoist” and yet also says “there should absolutely be renewed focus on the women’s game”.

Come on. I’m not one to belittle them but the coverage is already excessive. You can check the sports web pages these days and it’s Women this, Women that. The proportion of coverage to the level of public interest is ridiculous

The coverage point is spot on. Nothing more annoying than seeing a random football headline, thinking wtf, clicking on it, to find out its woman's football rather than men's.

To be clear, I've nothing against it & I'm sure it's improving in terms of quality & level of interest. However there is such a gulf in quality that its a completely different game vs the mens sport.

They could advance it significantly by making the goals smaller & probably the pitches as well to suit the differing physical attributes. They won't though.

I really don’t understand women’s football at all. I remember when Sonia O’Neill was with us she would regularly post up freestyling tricks and skills with the ball on her IG stories and it was clear that she had ability on the ball that was significantly better than the average non-professional male footballer.

But then she barely got a game for Rangers. So you’d think the standard of the women’s game is decent but then you actually watch it and the actual matches are terrible.

Either way I have a little baby daughter and will encourage her at every opportunity to play football and follow Rangers more importantly.

I have two reconstructed ACLs, haven't kicked a ball in 3 years due to that and am overweight and I think I'd walk in to any women's team on the planet, if I were allowed to. PARTICULARLY as a defender. The standard of defending and goalkeeping is very, very poor. Score some great goals but they have all the time on the world on the ball.

Just watched the 20 (cannae beliee am typing that ) goals. At lease 15 of them would never have been had even a young lad, say U16s been in goal. Absolute joke.
i am all for them playing the game, but that was just ridiculous

Annoys me how it is being forced on us. You go to sports pages and a women's team who are lucky to get a few hundred people watching them are alongside Chelsea or something.

I am surprised that the likes of SKY don't realise it's crap as they must lose loads of money from it.
They've got to do something to give all those ex-players a job after playing.

I respect that women want to play football and that they should have their own leagues etc but can the media please stop giving it the same level of importance as the men's game? It's like equating schools football with the professional game. The standard is pitifully bad.

I respect that women want to play football and that they should have their own leagues etc but can the media please stop giving it the same level of importance as the men's game? It's like equating schools football with the professional game. The standard is pitifully bad.
Smaller pitches, smaller goals.

Your average professional female isn’t even approaching the same physical traits held by your average male professional, so why they’re asked to play on the same size of pitch is beyond me.

Annoying when your attention is drawn to the tv news because they turn to the football and it takes a few seconds before it dawns its the women game

No problem with womens football in general, its a pitiful standard, but if others like watching it then fair enough.

My issue is the same as another few people. The deliberate misleading of people to create artificial interest in the game. During a recent international break in the mens game, bbc sport had Man Utd score live as the headline story. No distinction between mens and womans football so id imagine loads of folk would have clicked the link, wondering what the hell was going on. No doubt the figures from that article will then be utilised to "prove" there is high interest in the womens game. Then more money will be diverted to it, until its better funded than the Scottish Premiership.

Can see it coming a mile away and it does my nut in.

I have two reconstructed ACLs, haven't kicked a ball in 3 years due to that and am overweight and I think I'd walk in to any women's team on the planet, if I were allowed to. PARTICULARLY as a defender. The standard of defending and goalkeeping is very, very poor. Score some great goals but they have all the time on the world on the ball.

You could take any player playing at junior level, put them into women's football and I honestly think they'd be the best player in the world. No doubt about it actually.

As many have stated, I've zero issue with encouraging more women to take up the sport, indeed any sport, however the attempt to give it more coverage than it deserves is beyond tedious. The other week on a Saturday BT Sport gave over a full EIGHT hours to cover a women's Futsal competition. The teams included a mix of sides associated with professional clubs, but also universities. Good grief it was like watching 5's down the local centre on a Saturday morning where everyone was over weight and suffering fro a hangover.

As many have stated, I've zero issue with encouraging more women to take up the sport, indeed any sport, however the attempt to give it more coverage than it deserves is beyond tedious. The other week on a Saturday BT Sport gave over a full EIGHT hours to cover a women's Futsal competition. The teams included a mix of sides associated with professional clubs, but also universities. Good grief it was like watching 5's down the local centre on a Saturday morning where everyone was over weight and suffering fro a hangover.

so you watched it?

I'm all for women to have their game but i'm afraid that shouldn't be anywhere near television. What good does that do any of them ?

I'm all for women to have their game but i'm afraid that shouldn't be anywhere near television. What good does that do any of them ?

I’m sure up and down England the girls who were watching it thought “f.uck that, winning 20-0 looks crap, I’ll stick to sewing and dish washing”

It it only football that’s an issue? Or during the olympics was it “a bloke would do better”?

As a woman:

I currently have little to no interest in watching women's football. From what I have seen; the standard is usually woeful and them banging on about 'equal pay' generally makes me want to punch the telly.

However...

I am more than a little envious of girls growing up today who can dream of becoming professional footballers.

That wasn't true for me growing up in the 80s and 90s. Same goes for lots of sports actually.

The closest I could get to footballing glory was being the first girl to play for my primary school team. Still proud of it!

I played (and beat) boys at pretty much every sport I played but only pursued tennis and swimming at a high'ish level because those had career pathways for girls.

So yeah, women's football is rotten right now but it will improve. Just like women's tennis improved. Could take a generation though.

As a woman:

I currently have little to no interest in watching women's football. From what I have seen; the standard is usually woeful and them banging on about 'equal pay' generally makes me want to punch the telly.

However...

I am more than a little envious of girls growing up today who can dream of becoming professional footballers.

That wasn't true for me growing up in the 80s and 90s. Same goes for lots of sports actually.

The closest I could get to footballing glory was being the first girl to play for my primary school team. Still proud of it!

I played (and beat) boys at pretty much every sport I played but only pursued tennis and swimming at a high'ish level because those had career pathways for girls.

So yeah, women's football is rotten right now but it will improve. Just like women's tennis improved. Could take a generation though.
At primary school girls are generally the same size, weight and strength as boys, often towards the latter years they are in fact bigger, so it's a level playing field. After that though there's generally a significant disparity between adolescent boys and girls and boys will be stronger and bigger.

Back