English Premiership ban on shirt betting sponsorship

Rangerista

The English Premiership looking to be rid of it by 2024-25 season.

What does our FF community think of this?

Although it obviously has no bearing on Scottish football, personally I'd welcome Rangers to be rid of gambling or drink sponsorship, though I've no illusions that we'd be having Tesla or Ford as our sponsors.

Although it obviously has no bearing on Scottish football, personally I'd welcome Rangers to be rid of gambling or drink sponsorship, though I've no illusions that we'd be having Tesla or Ford as our sponsors.
It’s going to happen here pretty soon.
I’m sure our board are aware too.

A good move in my opinion

Hopefully this spreads to the rest of football, us included

I’m actually surprised that the issue hasn’t arisen with gambling firms or alcohol sponsors on shirts when it come to Muslim players.
Aye you are right.

It has happened abroad on a small scale. Freddie Kanoute made a stand regarding Sevilla being sponsored by 888 about 15 year ago, think he maybe played without it on his shirt. Can remember when Bayern won league one year and it came out that the beer being thrown over each other was actually alcohol free as Ribery had beliefs that were anti alcohol.

I suppose when you are getting £100M+ a year in TV rights and have a wide choice of sponsorship deals, then being able to say no to gambling sponsors is an easy task. It won't happen up here as gambling companies being the bottom feeders that they are in their element in Scottish football.

Sacrificing the shirt sponsorship to keep the pitch side adverts then.

White paper out next week so clearly they know what's coming.

Good news is we can milk the gambling companies until 2025 at least.

A good move in my opinion

Hopefully this spreads to the rest of football, us included

I’m actually surprised that the issue hasn’t arisen with gambling firms or alcohol sponsors on shirts when it come to Muslim players.

Agree mate.

Just to drop the Papa John's, Glen's Vodka and the Bet Fred League Cup.

Similar to when Jeremy Kyle was sponsored by Foxy Bingo, the powers at be can preach all they want but cash is king to them.

Aye you are right.

It has happened abroad on a small scale. Freddie Kanoute made a stand regarding Sevilla being sponsored by 888 about 15 year ago, think he maybe played without it on his shirt. Can remember when Bayern won league one year and it came out that the beer being thrown over each other was actually alcohol free as Ribery had beliefs that were anti alcohol.
They are both Muslim.

I doubt many gamblers or would-be gambler's habits will be altered because of the ban.

One of these 'be seen to be doing the right thing whilst not really fixing a problem' things that's very fashionable in modern football.
What year was advertising tobacco banned? I know some people are very eager for things to be blamed on everything being "woke" but actually banning the advertisement of harmful things is not that new. And it will continue to happen.

I am sure there will be much more general ban in the promotion of gambling within the next 10 years. And even surer that there is a strong lobby fighting against it right now.

Betting firms will be replaced by crypto firms which will lead to more problems.

I’d say this is good news for us. Can finally get a decent healthy sponsor like Pepsi or Orange or similar. Sick of gambling and alcohol

Will simply be replaced by a bunch of fly by night crypto companies who will go bust at the drop of a hat and be similarly dangerous to folk’s hard earned money.

I can't remember when it was banned - early 90s maybe.
Did it have much impact on public smoking, I wonder?

I didn't mention woke.

Was much later than that, mid 2000s.

That was a much bigger deal for F1 than football.

And there it did make smoking seem glamorous, to me, personally. Brightly coloured liveries of Galloises and Benson and Hedges.

Of course gambling shouldn’t be viewed in the same prism as smoking. It’s not in itself a dangerous activity

I can't remember when it was banned - early 90s maybe.
Did it have much impact on public smoking, I wonder?

I didn't mention woke.
I know you didn't and wasn't directly that particularly at you, apologies, but there are a few comments bemoaning things like this which are ultimately a good thing.

It is unquestionable that over the last few decades smoking rates have dropped and like any behavioural change it is often a variety of things that contribute to that.

Ban sports betting, if they really want to make an impact.

It’ll put us in an even more difficult position.

I doubt many gamblers or would-be gambler's habits will be altered because of the ban.

One of these 'be seen to be doing the right thing whilst not really fixing a problem' things that's very fashionable in modern football.
They would like. It’s really played a big part in creating a huge issue. Speaking as someone still in the industry and have worked in it for 20 years around Europe from shop boy to risk manager to vip/elite account manager. I could write a mini series on it but I’d probably end up at the bottom of The Thames.

Confusing when the logo is still very similar to sky.
Just the same as Virgin Bet, sod all to do with Virgin those who run it. DAZN are coming in soon as well with DAZN Bet, just using the name basically. Been loads over the years.

Personally I can only think the reason SkyBet are so popular is people trust the brand name as the site is awful and prices even worse.

And the SKY football pundit team are heavily involved in promoting Skybet.
It was never started by Sky either, was bought off Surrey Sports - be 20 years ago.

Have a look who else Flutter own.

I've always been an advocate for no sponsor kits tbh. Just look cleaner and smoother. Granted, I know probably not happen here due to the money for a sponsorship deal, just saying.

It's never sat right with me. Online bookies are properly shady and Scottish football doesn't provide enough support to those in the game that get mixed up in gambling.
Brian Rice having to walk into the a William Hill stand at Hampden for admitting having a gambling addiction and walking out with a 10 game ban was a bad look for Scottish football.

And if you can't put a sponsors name on your kid's kit, you've got the wrong sponsor

I’m fairly libertarian when it comes to most things, but I have to admit that alcohol and gambling sponsorship has always been something that doesn’t sit right with me.

Back