English Premiership ban on shirt betting sponsorship

I can't remember when it was banned - early 90s maybe.
Did it have much impact on public smoking, I wonder?

I didn't mention woke.
I remember hearing a fact that the ban on advertising tobacco products didn’t affect the companies sales at all but did save them millions in advertising costs thus increasing profits.

Was much later than that, mid 2000s.

That was a much bigger deal for F1 than football.

And there it did make smoking seem glamorous, to me, personally. Brightly coloured liveries of Galloises and Benson and Hedges.

Of course gambling shouldn’t be viewed in the same prism as smoking. It’s not in itself a dangerous activity
Worked on me! I only smoked 2 weeks a year - whilst on a lads holiday. And the fags of choice were Camel or Lucky Strike.

I remember hearing a fact that the ban on advertising tobacco products didn’t affect the companies sales at all but did save them millions in advertising costs thus increasing profits.

And the success of all these bans? Well the proof is in the pudding, or in this case the statistics, with the rate of smokers in April 2019 standing at just 14% of the population, compared to 45% back in 1974.

Be surprised if it’s 10% now mind.

I'd be far happier if they banned the betting adverts on Sky sports , during a game 2 out of every 3 adverts seems like its a betting site, they have even added in an extra ad break before the 2nd half kicks off just to squeeze in even more adverts.

Surely an in-play ad at half time must have a greater impact than players running about with a betting site plastered on their chest, I barely notice who the sponsors are, I don't think any major UK high street bookies sponsor any teams anyway.

Gambling and alcohol sponsors should be banned in all football
Why? Because we have 32 Red doesn’t make me gamble I’ve actually never been in a bookmakers in my life (60+) I played football but it never interested me. If they want to pay money for their name on our shirt that’s fine by me. I’d prefer some better known business say Ford or VW or Kia.

smokers in April 2019 standing at just 14% of the population, compared to 45% back in 1974.
I'd imagine the steep price increase has had the biggest impact on people taking/giving up smoking.

Buying cigarettes was easy enough to afford when I was at high school (90s). A packet would cost most of a kid's pocket money these days.

Why? Because we have 32 Red doesn’t make me gamble I’ve actually never been in a bookmakers in my life (60+) I played football but it never interested me. If they want to pay money for their name on our shirt that’s fine by me. I’d prefer some better known business say Ford or VW or Kia.
For what its worth i dont know anyone who uses 32red for anything hahaha

And the success of all these bans? Well the proof is in the pudding, or in this case the statistics, with the rate of smokers in April 2019 standing at just 14% of the population, compared to 45% back in 1974.

Be surprised if it’s 10% now mind.
Happy to stand corrected on this one (I think my source for that fact was QI so I can blame Stephen Fry). The banning of 10 decks has probably contributed to the decline also and that’s no bad thing.
betting has become far too convenient and should probably be sensibly regulated further to prevent it harming those who are at risk of addiction.

I'd imagine the steep price increase has had the biggest impact on people taking/giving up smoking.

Buying cigarettes was easy enough to afford when I was at high school (90s). A packet would cost most of a kid's pocket money these days.

I dare say it has but at a small guess not seeing it glamourised on tele etc and seeing the images on fag packets now I would imagine has also had an impact.

You also don’t see the arm wrestle of getting paid out by some betting firms either when you see the advertising on shirts or tele etc… Again I say that as someone with a hell of a lot of experience on both sides of the fence.

Happy to stand corrected on this one (I think my source for that fact was QI so I can blame Stephen Fry). The banning of 10 decks has probably contributed to the decline also and that’s no bad thing.
betting has become far too convenient and should probably be sensibly regulated further to prevent it harming those who are at risk of addiction.
A lot needs sorted out in Gambling to be honest from free bets to advertising to bet rules.

I was walking down the street in Wigan last week and a new arcade had opened, 2 young dolly birds stood outside handing out free bets to get folk in. 18 year old lads would probably bail in there for a laugh, god knows how it could end for some.

Aye you are right.

It has happened abroad on a small scale. Freddie Kanoute made a stand regarding Sevilla being sponsored by 888 about 15 year ago, think he maybe played without it on his shirt. Can remember when Bayern won league one year and it came out that the beer being thrown over each other was actually alcohol free as Ribery had beliefs that were anti alcohol.
Not entirely the same but Idrissa Gueye refused to promote PSGs Pride campaign this season.

A lot needs sorted out in Gambling to be honest from free bets to advertising to bet rules.

I was walking down the street in Wigan last week and a new arcade had opened, 2 young dolly birds stood outside handing out free bets to get folk in. 18 year old lads would probably bail in there for a laugh, god knows how it could end for some.
Some matches in the very early rounds of the FA cup a couple of years ago could only be watched if you had money in your Bet365 account. Remember listening to Talksport who were calling out the contradictions in the FAs statements and actions.

Some matches in the very early rounds of the FA cup a couple of years ago could only be watched if you had money in your Bet365 account. Remember listening to Talksport who were calling out the contradictions in the FAs statements and actions.
Oh aye the double standards are off the scale from many involved.

Mental. Gambling companies will still make ridiculous profits. At least when they were sponsoring sport, they put some money back in. No one gambles because they see a bloody gambling company on a shirt. The people who are problem gamblers are still going to gamble.

Mental. Gambling companies will still make ridiculous profits. At least when they were sponsoring sport, they put some money back in. No one gambles because they see a bloody gambling company on a shirt. The people who are problem gamblers are still going to gamble.

Aye, Football Index were great for the Sport.

Been in the offing for a while.
Personally doesn't bother me, but can see why they wouldn't want it "visible" as such to the next generation.

It is more the next generation I worry for with this, these bloody gambling companies apps should be deleted - too many get into bother with them as it doesn't feel like real money.

Go on. Explain why a ponzi scheme has anything to do with it?
They sponsored a couple of Clubs and were all over the net and social media. Loads of folk got ripped off by them. Gambling Commission failed yet again. Like I’ve already said I still work in the industry after 20 years, have worked in various nations and seen a lot and am a punter as well. Seen all kinds go on in it, lads go in rehab, lads top themselves etc… firms do all kinds not to pay out, to keep folk betting no matter what the consequences are.

Fair dos though if you think all is well and fine with it.

Next it will be soft drinks companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi, or fast food companies like McDonald's and KFC, then the potential sponsorship pool will continue to diminish. Shame adults can no longer be treated like adults and be allowed to think for ourselves. Thankfully we have such giants as Boris & Sturgeon in office, along with others in position of power and they can make all our decisions and keep us all safe!

Government Ban enforced by a non governmental body because the betting companies don’t pay UK tax and therefore are bad because reasons

I wonder how much pressure put on and deals were made to get the EPL and FA to agree to this?

They sponsored a couple of Clubs and were all over the net and social media. Loads of folk got ripped off by them. Gambling Commission failed yet again. Like I’ve already said I still work in the industry after 20 years, have worked in various nations and seen a lot and am a punter as well. Seen all kinds go on in it, lads go in rehab, lads top themselves etc… firms so all kinds not to pay out, to keep folk betting no matter what the consequences are.

Fair dos though if you think all is well and fine with it.

Im aware of how it works. I was a former problem gambler myself. Do you think people gamble because Rangers have Unibet on their jersey? Never once crossed my mind.

My point isnt about the rights and wrongs of gambling. Personally i think some of those companies are the scum of the Earth. My point is that, by not taking money from these companies, they are allowing them to maximise their profits and now they can say, "oh well, we cant reinvest in sport, even though we would love to"

The reality is, lifes vices dont need to advertise. People who want them, will always find them

Im aware of how it works. I was a former problem gambler myself. Do you think people gamble because Rangers have Unibet on their jersey? Never once crossed my mind.

My point isnt about the rights and wrongs of gambling. Personally i think some of those companies are the scum of the Earth. My point is that, by not taking money from these companies, they are allowing them to maximise their profits and now they can say, "oh well, we cant reinvest in sport, even though we would love to"

The reality is, lifes vices dont need to advertise. People who want them, will always find them
Yeah I do - I have seen the increase in accounts from advertising and special offers. Also all the new watts app bookies who don’t subscribe to GamStop are proving dangerous for people, it’s just putting it in peoples heads more and more.

Wholly disagree with your last paragraph and if you’d seen and heard what I have regarding targeting 18 year old lads I would be very surprised if you thought different. That’s from when the FOBTs hit the shops in 2005 and we were told to dish out free £20s to the young lads to being told to keep emailing those identified as issue gamblers with free bets to get them going again - even on a few occasions being told to “lose self exclusion papers”.

Anyway I know what I’ve seen and it will never sit right with me. Why I ain’t worked for a UK Bookie for over a decade now.

We cant have cars either. They pollute the air and can kill people when used incorrectly

Yeah I do - I have seen the increase in accounts from advertising and special offers. Also all the new watts app bookies who don’t subscribe to GamStop are proving dangerous for people, it’s just putting it in peoples heads more and more.

Wholly disagree with your last paragraph and if you’d seen and heard what I have regarding targeting 18 year old lads I would be very surprised if you thought different. That’s from when the FOBTs hit the shops in 2005 and we were told to dish out free £20s to the young lads to being told to keep emailing those identified as issue gamblers with free bets to get them going again - even on a few occasions being told to “lose self exclusion papers”.

Anyway I know what I’ve seen and it will never sit right with me. Why I ain’t worked for a UK Bookie for over a decade now.

Agree to disagree mate, but ive never known more people taking cocaine or drinking excessively in all my life, and ones never been advertised in its existence and the other is heavily restricted in how its advertised.

More selective political correctness. So Bet 365 will be banned from shirt advertising but Burger King would be ok? Who decides what we need protected from?

All the same people allow rich Arabs who care nothing for football or human rights to gain respectability by throwing a few quid at football?

The English Premiership looking to be rid of it by 2024-25 season.

What does our FF community think of this?

Although it obviously has no bearing on Scottish football, personally I'd welcome Rangers to be rid of gambling or drink sponsorship, though I've no illusions that we'd be having Tesla or Ford as our sponsors.
That's all well and good for English clubs, but we need to make every penny count up here. If we could get a non alcohol/gambling sponsor that would pay the same amount then i'd be happy...otherwise i'm happy with the status quo.

Agree to disagree mate, but ive never known more people taking cocaine or drinking excessively in all my life, and ones never been advertised in its existence and the other is heavily restricted in how its advertised.

Both would rocket in use if legal and advertised in the way gambling is. Especially if freebies were dealt out to people from the age of 18. Mate of mine runs a Wetherspoons and says drinking in young people is rapidly declining.

The other issue with Gambling firms is not all deliver what they say. Like I say getting paid out can be horrendous at times and as the Football Index situation shows the protection for the customer from the Gambling Commission is pretty much non existent.

Last edited:
I'd be far happier if they banned the betting adverts on Sky sports , during a game 2 out of every 3 adverts seems like its a betting site, they have even added in an extra ad break before the 2nd half kicks off just to squeeze in even more adverts.
that^^^

Getting rid of in play adverts would have a greater impact. They shouldn’t be allowed

Shirt sponsorship in England is a fraction of the money coming in. Percentage wise up here it could affect teams a hell of a lot more.

Hopefully it means next time we or the league/scottish cups are due a new sponsorship agreement, the gambling companies will be more interested to get their name out since they won't be able to sponsor teams down south, and this could drive up the sums involvded.

Good move, however these companies generally pay over the odds for the sponsorship and fans will need to become more realistic to club finances if it does happen.

Need to bring tobacco advertising back

I'm not even a smoker but it's pretty clear the the decline of society has a direct correlation with the decline in smoking

Would be interesting to see the difference of influence in shirt sponsorship vs pre and in game betting adverts. Can’t see this having a major impact as societal issues needs to be looked at too.

Can't happen quickly enough. Gambling is a scourge on sports and the normalisation of it through sponsorship and advertising that has managed to associate having a bet with most sports events is appalling. It's glamorised an industry that gives nothing to society.
For a select few that know more than the odds maker it gives them the ability to make money. For the vast majority its enjoyment and a bit of recreation hoping to be right about something. Some you get right some you don’t.

Just because a further small subset have lost the ability to control themselves it would appear its now viewed as a scourge, blanket ban. Nanny state.

To be replaced with crypto junk or plus500 where its exactly the same thing and in contrast nobody actually knows hee haw about what they are punting, compared to the sport theyve spent their life watching and understanding, players they can look at and know they are about to get booked subbed or score.

* If someone wishes to ban cartoon racing and preprogrammed slots and get back to proper bookmaking it would be better for all. They’ve pushed it too far and something that most of society enjoys is now under threat.

Back