Enough of the euphoria, where's the negatives?

alex wright

The very nature of the internet means that it tends to swing wildly from one extreme to another no matter what the topic and the middle ground often remains overlooked. It is also true that as football fans we really want to enjoy the moment and revel in the feel good factor of a good win against a team who have, in recent years, given us a few problems.

But I do feel a little uncomfortable that the early results have masked a few deficiencies that better teams will exploit.

Firstly, in a few games this season I've seen a return of a misplaced pass high up the park quickly causing us problems at the back. At times, especially when losing possession, teams have been able to pass through our midfield with relevant ease. It's nowhere near the same level of problem as during the Warbutton era but it was an area that Gerrard had done well to improve.

Secondly, we give away too many goals when the opposition have a little bit of ascendancy. Individually I like Goldson and Katic but our defence isn't as secure as it should be. I can see why Gerrard decided to spend good money in this area as the currenty defensive set up could cost us a shot at the title.

Re misplaced passes in the final third causing problems, is that not just a risk of playing attacking football in the opponents half? Even still I think our midfield get back quickly and are always looking to win the ball back.

The main issue you rightly point out though is that we're losing goals every time the opposition has there 10/15 mins of possession. I don't know if it's lack of concentration, complacency as we've been dominating or what but it isn't ideal. I'm sure SG et al will be doing all they can to rectify this though, and given the elevation in performance everywhere else I'm sure it'll come.

In 11 games including pre season we’ve kept 7 clean sheets and conceded 5 goals.

I don’t think the defence is too much of a problem if I’m honest.

The 2 goals conceded against Midtjylland was just a case of the whole team having a bit of a brain fart for 5/10 mins

And the goal against hibs was just sloppiness giving the ball away. There haven’t been any real defencive calamity’s unlike last season

In 11 games including pre season we’ve kept 7 clean sheets and conceded 5 goals.

I don’t think the defence is too much of a problem if I’m honest.

The 2 goals conceded against Midtjylland was just a case of the whole team having a bit of a brain fart for 5/10 mins

And the goal against hibs was just sloppiness giving the ball away. There haven’t been any real defencive calamity’s unlike last season

Look behind the stats though, in competitive games against decent opposition we've conceded in all three games.

Squad wise, I think we have the best defence, midfield and attack in the league at the present but I do get where you are coming from OP. Our style of play against open attacking teams will see us cut open now and again but we are getting better every game

We're getting badly punished when we switch off. We're only switching off for short spells, but it could really cost us against the better sides.

Just a bit of calm, a bit of stability in these moments would make a world of difference.

Look behind the stats though, in competitive games against decent opposition we've conceded in all three games.
True, but look at the amount we’ve scored against decent opposition. 4 away in Denmark and 6 at home to hibs.

Not comparing us to Real Madrid here in anyway shape or form but back in the day when they had the likes of guti, Raul and van nistelrooy their motto was you score 3 we’ll score 4.

If that’s the way it goes this year then I wouldn’t be too fussed.

When we are attacking I don’t think any team in this league will cope and that’s that mob included

Slack, sloppy defending that's been costly. The goals we lost to Blackburn, Kilmarnock, Midtjylland and Hibs highlight that. I don't think we've defended our box well at times either, especially at crossed balls.

We seem to switch off after scoring and allow the opposition an opening in to the match.

Steven Gerrard talked about clean sheets and not conceding late goals - probably why he's gone and signed an international centre half for £3m (and hopefully looking at a left back).

A lack of creativity, ability to break down the opposition, bang the ball in the net, kill the game - ruthlessness, was lacking last season but it's too soon to talk about. Although, we should have buried the game at home to Progrès, Kilmarnock and Hibs (before they pulled a goal back).

Niko Katic is a dominant centre half but still a bit too error prone for me. I would like to see Helander brought in when he's finally up to speed to help shore us up.

The very nature of the internet means that it tends to swing wildly from one extreme to another no matter what the topic and the middle ground often remains overlooked. It is also true that as football fans we really want to enjoy the moment and revel in the feel good factor of a good win against a team who have, in recent years, given us a few problems.

But I do feel a little uncomfortable that the early results have masked a few deficiencies that better teams will exploit.

Firstly, in a few games this season I've seen a return of a misplaced pass high up the park quickly causing us problems at the back. At times, especially when losing possession, teams have been able to pass through our midfield with relevant ease. It's nowhere near the same level of problem as during the Warbutton era but it was an area that Gerrard had done well to improve.

Secondly, we give away too many goals when the opposition have a little bit of ascendancy. Individually I like Goldson and Katic but our defence isn't as secure as it should be. I can see why Gerrard decided to spend good money in this area as the currenty defensive set up could cost us a shot at the title.

Good thread all this positivity is giving me the heeby jeebys.

If im harsh both the Danes and hibs got into good positions between our midfield and defence on a few ocassions when we weren't pressing the ball. Allan's "wonder" pass he had too much time to pick out. Davis isnt a natural DM, neither is Kamara. This is where we could come a cropper against better teams.

All good and well dismissing the OP's point when we are winning but should it cost us the same people will be in uproar.

When we take a breather we must be looking to hold on to the ball and when the opposition have their "spell" we have to be switched on and disciplined. We won't be free scoring every game and it already nearly cost us against Kilmarnock.

As SAF said "attack wins you games, defence wins you titles."

I will admit, at times can be Mr Negative, however in over sixty years of following RFC, it’s the most complete and entertaining games that’s right up there with the best. The second goal from the start is a thing of beauty.

1. Fans are already dismissing Scum and assuming 55 is in the bag...dangerous way to think.
2. We need goals from midfield and wide to assist the strikers.
3. When not being aggressive team we need to control game better: 4 goals lost in 3 games when we 'took a breather'.

Was going to post this.
Last season we had some great results quickly followed by some absolute horrors.
You would think we, as a fan base, would be a bit more cautious in our optimism.

1. Fans are already dismissing Scum and assuming 55 is in the bag...dangerous way to think.
2. We need goals from midfield and wide to assist the strikers.
3. When not being aggressive team we need to control game better: 4 goals lost in 3 games when we 'took a breather'.

I still think as it stands they have better depth to their squad and are favourites for a reason. Would love to see no neck or MacGregor leave as thats their 'core' championship wiining squad being split up. Regardless of how much money they spend (well within reason) they wont necessarilly replace that.

Everyone is assuming Lemon is going to implode or what not but he's a safe pair of hands for them. Would rather they had some foreign coach with zero experience of scottish football. They have barely got out of 2nd gear and scored 12 goals conceding only 2. We need to remain focused and still feel we need Kent at least for me.

I remember last season everyone creaming their pants at Coulibally and look how crap he was by the end. The real test of this team will be how they handle defeat. If we lose the first scum game at home I worry how much damage it could do to some of our players. It's only 1 game but having flashbacks to the 2-3 game on here a couple of seasons ago where every post was saying how much they were shiting it etc while the reality was we were still miles short and anyone that understood football could see it.

Thats not the case now but lets not kid ourselves that we are just there quite yest. The LB situation has to be addressed. Either BB is going to step up or we need to get rid. Halliday and Flannagan will do as back up but lets not pretend better teams wont be targetting that area.

A new LB along with Kent and a decent back up striker I will be more than happy.

A troubling lack of interest by Gerrard in changing the game against Killie and Hibs, though we were bailed out in both occasions by a late goal and a red card.

He won't always get away with that.

It's FF, so negatives are just around the corner. Let's see how things develop. I think we're better suited for Europe, let's see how we do at home. A couple of years ago, you knew the subs wouldn't change the game, now we know they can. Stewart and Morelos brought us guile (Stewart ) and power (Morelos ).

Seriously, you think a red card bailed us out on Sunday?

No - we were always winning the game, but it certainly helped us win the 3 points. There was a lot of huffing and puffing without it, and even then we only scored the decisive goal what, twenty minutes after it? It was the result of eventually just breaking them down.

Without a doubt, even this early, it is evident that we have improved in various facets of our game. I fear though that our achilles heel could be the same one as we had last season. Namely failing to break down inferior opposition when they play banks of 4/5 or 5/4. It remains to be seen if we have enough craft in the last third of the park to combat that this season.
Our last two games have yielded ten goals for us in games where both teams have played open expansive football. They both tried to break our stride in these games by overtly physical tactics also, but we faced it down and that's a good omen for the season going forward. Jones in particular shone with the games being stretched, allowing plenty of space behind the full back. It remains to be seen if he can produce enough trickery to open packed defences on the left flank in the same way Tav does on the right.
The big plus for me in tackling the packed defence problem is ironically another of our defenders. Namely Niko Katic. Too often last season when the chips were down our set pieces (corners especially) were frankly dismal. As other posters have pointed out he sometimes gets turned on the deck too easily but I think that is negated by what he gives us up front. He is attacking everything with his head with gusto and anything that gets in his road too. Just ask Joe Aribo after the first minute in Denmark. He is terrorising defenders in their own box as was shown at Kilmarnock. It might have been Connor Goldson who headed in the winner but the space he found himself in was created by several Killie markers worrying about Niko.
I fancy us to beat anyone in a fair stand up toe to toe, blow for blow fight in Scotland this season. It's the ones that don't come out to fight that may be our problem.

The Scum were dismissed and 55 was in the bag after a few friendly wins and the scudding of a pub team from Gibraltar.

Then after a goalless draw against the Luxemburgers and a last gasp victory against hoof ball merchants Kilmarnock we were back to being way short of what's required.

Now after dismantling Hibs the Scum are an irrelevance once more and the title party plans for May have begun in earnest yet again.

You can see how this is going to go, can't you?

There was me thinking we were quite good, think I'll have a wee lie down and hope we improve next season.

A troubling lack of interest by Gerrard in changing the game against Killie and Hibs, though we were bailed out in both occasions by a late goal and a red card.

He won't always get away with that.

What would you have changed on Sunday? It was the same XI that eventually got the 3rd goal - and as we sought it, we were creating opportunities and stretching the Hibs defence.

What I’ve learned following the famous is make the most of & enjoy the good times cause there will be dark days as we have all had to suffer of late. Our time is coming 55 is coming the people are coming

What would you have changed on Sunday? It was the same XI that eventually got the 3rd goal - and as we sought it, we were creating opportunities and stretching the Hibs defence.

Not entirely sure what I'd have done - I'm not getting paid the big bucks after all! - but an unwillingness to introduce subs or change the positioning of the players already on the park was a characteristic of Gerrard's management last year that seems to have followed him into this season.

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Sunday but last week against Killie it was obvious that they were coming into the game bit by bit and he didn't do a damn thing until it was too late.

Luckily we got away with that one - but it won't happen again so often.

Nice avatar, BTW!

You don't have to look too hard mate, it's not hard to find on here let alone start a thread. I agree we look spooked after conceding against the Danes and the Spoons but our game management second half at the weekend and 5 mins after being pegged back to 2-3 Thursday was exemplary.

No - we were always winning the game, but it certainly helped us win the 3 points. There was a lot of huffing and puffing without it, and even then we only scored the decisive goal what, twenty minutes after it? It was the result of eventually just breaking them down.

The hand ball was a through ball which would have been a goal

No red card, no hand ball = goal

We should never get complacent and always strive for improvement.

I'm delighted we've came through the first 2 league games against tricky teams unscathed but there are bigger tests to come.

We've conceded a lot of cheap goals in recent weeks, that's definitely something we can improve on going forward. Looking forward to Helander being introduced.

We have and I'm very happy with our progress under Gerrard. But, we'll have to beat better teams to win trophies and giving away goals when not in control of games will cost us.

By better teams you mean to win trophies in Scotland we will have to beat teams better than us?
So who is better than us currently?

Same as last year ,although its still early we tend to make our substitutions a tad late for me .The other day Airfield was obviously toiling and we had a very good fit player on the bench who did come on but should have been on ten minutes earlier . Yes I know Airfield scored but everyone could see he was blowing out his ass ,we got away with it but why wait so long to bring him off.
McGregor love the guy but has not been as solid as he normally is .Plays at his best when he's moaning about everything and anyone but at the moment seems a bit down .

Not entirely sure what I'd have done - I'm not getting paid the big bucks after all! - but an unwillingness to introduce subs or change the positioning of the players already on the park was a characteristic of Gerrard's management last year that seems to have followed him into this season.

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Sunday but last week against Killie it was obvious that they were coming into the game bit by bit and he didn't do a damn thing until it was too late.

Luckily we got away with that one - but it won't happen again so often.

Nice avatar, BTW!
I agree i think sometimes we are crying out for a change especially when teams tire but ive felt he has been leaving it very late but what do i know im not getting paid for that just my opinion

We have dominated games against Progres, kilmarnock and Hibs-at 2-1- and yet failed to kill them off. At times during those games we went though a 10-15 minute period where we struggled and were opened up.
We need to get ruthless and kill games early leaving no room for a comeback.
Still think the manager needs to work on his substitutions better.
We are much improved from last season, get ruthless!

Nae bloody contactless in the concourse!!

Nae orange training gear on sale for like another 6 weeks

Back