Enter the Dragan - Dragan Mladenovic signed 15 years ago this summer

mdingwall

Administrator
FROM WIKI -
Mladenović joined Rangers from Serbian champions Red Star Belgrade for £1.1m in August 2004.[1] He made his Rangers debut in a UEFA Champions League qualifier against CSKA Moscow. However, he failed to settle at Ibrox and was subsequently loaned out to Real Sociedad in January 2005.[2] He was released by Rangers on August 30, despite having three years left on his contract, and re-joined Red Star Belgrade on a free transfer.[3] This time he wasn't so successful. In 2006, Mladenović joined South Korean side Incheon United, where he continued playing until the 2009/10 season, after which he retired from professional football. Today he lives in Belgrade, Serbia, and currently is director of Red Star Belgrade youth academy.

Mladenović played 17 games for his country. He scored his only international goal in his country's 1–0 win against Wales on 20 August 2003.

FROM WIKI -
Mladenović joined Rangers from Serbian champions Red Star Belgrade for £1.1m in August 2004.[1] He made his Rangers debut in a UEFA Champions League qualifier against CSKA Moscow. However, he failed to settle at Ibrox and was subsequently loaned out to Real Sociedad in January 2005.[2] He was released by Rangers on August 30, despite having three years left on his contract, and re-joined Red Star Belgrade on a free transfer.[3] This time he wasn't so successful. In 2006, Mladenović joined South Korean side Incheon United, where he continued playing until the 2009/10 season, after which he retired from professional football. Today he lives in Belgrade, Serbia, and currently is director of Red Star Belgrade youth academy.

Mladenović played 17 games for his country. He scored his only international goal in his country's 1–0 win against Wales on 20 August 2003.

One good game against Wales and labelled the Serbian Zidane.

Can remember him being totally out his depth in a game at Parkhead.

My main memory of him is celebrating a goal with Prso at pittodrie. Big Dado ran over to the bench to celebrate his goal. Seem to remember the press talking about improved relationships between Serbs and Croats off the back of their embrace. :))

Really didn’t want to be reminded of this :eek:

I thought he was going to be class. Just shows how stupid i am!

Away game v Maritimo in 2004 his performance was the worst I have ever seen from a Rangers player,you would have been as well with me playing that night.

One of the few occassions I got it right straight away
I'm normally all for giving players a chance to settle - but I was unimpressed immediately & if anything he got worse with each of the few times he played for us
He really was a phoney

Was Hearts away his only start? It's the only one I can recall, and I think he got the hook after the first half.

FROM WIKI -

f...k he should have been a basketball player,remember watching him

Was Hearts away his only start? It's the only one I can recall, and I think he got the hook after the first half.
I seem to remember watching him play in a game on a dodgy feed from a training camp friendly in Austria - he actually looked the part TBH.

Perhaps he wasn't as good when he wasn't up against under 15's though.

while he was here his wife was preggers, she couldnt attend her ante natal classes as the dragan was to miserable to pay for a taxi for her (he was away with us in europe)

Rumours at the time suggested we passed up Tim Cahill at the time for this boton.

He came into my office in Dubai a couple of years ago, rotten footballer but real nice guy, spoke very highly about both Big Eck and the Rangers.
Cool story eh.......

I can recall being at Tynecastle one Sunday and Mladenovic was amongst the subs. At half-time said subs came on to go through the motions during the interval. One of their drills was keepy uppy in a circle to one another. The Serbian Zidane could hardly keep the ball up and was the worst out of the group (who were all pretty shocking at it). I knew there and then that he wouldn't last and neither he did.

The money we have pissed away on duds in the last twenty years would bring a tear to a glass eye, and Eck, for all that I like him as a Ranger, was pretty culpable on that score for signing more than his fair share. Saw right through Michael Stewart right enough (see GS's trolling thread).

Edit. It might've been the warm up rather than half-time. Regardless, he looked distinctly ordinary and that's being charitable.

Last edited:
He came into my office in Dubai a couple of years ago, rotten footballer but real nice guy, spoke very highly about both Big Eck and the Rangers.
Cool story eh.......

He spoke in the papers a few years after he left us.

We were playing Red Star in the CL and he said he was torn and couldn’ t decide who he wanted to win, which was surprising

angus_og_9153.jpg

He was fûcking shite.

I swear there were some games he didn’t step out of the centre circle. Even our resident happy clappers would have struggled to pretend about this signing,

I hope to %^*& that whatever Barry Horne is doing these days that he's not employed as a scout somewhere. Fucking hell, Stevie Wonder would likely offer a better appraisal of a player...

We had more good news that year;

IMG-20190620-181740.jpg

IMG-20190620-181748.jpg

To think that in the space of 6 months we went from Emerson being our saviour in an old firm, to having French Croatian and Danish internationals at the euros.

Looking back at Big Eck’s time he had what i would call successful signings Prso,Andrews,Novo,Arteta,Boumsong who we sold for a large profit.

BUT for every one good signing you could count 2/3 god awful ones Eggen,Mladenovic,Emerson,Jeffers, Vanoli the list goes on

Looking back at Big Eck’s time he had what i would call successful signings Prso,Andrews,Novo,Arteta,Boumsong who we sold for a large profit.

BUT for every one good signing you could count 2/3 god awful ones Eggen,Mladenovic,Emerson,Jeffers, Vanoli the list goes on
Harsh on Vanoli. He scored a horrendous og but did a job otherwise. Plus he wasn't a walking crock like ball.

I remember buying the Rangers magazine when he signed, thinking he would be the next big thing. How I was wrong.

Genuinely can't remember anything about him as a player. Did he get a winners medal that season?

I'm sure he did something amazing in his debut, was a flick over the defence that led to a chance iirc.

Then did nothing else.

Back