Entry requirements for overseas players post Brexit (England)

If we are working to the same points criteria as the Premier League then it will be difficult to sign players from abroad.

Hopefully the SPFL are on the case... lol

If we are working to the same points criteria as the Premier League then it will be difficult to sign players from abroad.

Hopefully the SPFL are on the case... lol
Guess it will benefit our own homegrown talent more than anyone. Definitely be interesting to see how it changes the face of UK football.

Sounds like they have made something up to make it look like they have done something for the sake of doing something and there will be ways around it no matter what.

basically unless u haven’t played football u can’t come is what I gather from it

I don't see this working and there will be an insane amount of complaints. the value of any half decent UK player will fly through the roof and could have a massive negative impact on clubs like ourselves. Surely a squad based system where you can sign 10-15 non UK citizens, is better.

The Irish players are screwed, can't sign to the UK and it's going to be very hard for them to get European moves.

I don't see this working and there will be an insane amount of complaints. the value of any half decent UK player will fly through the roof and could have a massive negative impact on clubs like ourselves. Surely a squad based system where you can sign 10-15 non UK citizens, is better.

The Irish players are screwed, can't sign to the UK and it's going to be very hard for them to get European moves.
Ireland are in the common travel area with the uk

Could this be what drives down the value of the EPL?

It would force more focus on home grown talent

No mention of any exception for the other UK countries. Wonder if discussions have even taken place.
The other UK countries presumably wouldn’t be classed as ‘overseas’ players. In fact the FA statement talks of players who do t ‘have the right to work in the UK’. Obviously home nations players have the right to work in the UK.

Post Brexit, clubs will not be able to sign players freely from the EU. Players from EU countries who want to play in the Premier League or EFL will be required to gain a GBE, like all other overseas players without the right to work in the UK.

It was at that moment, they realised, they fu.kd up
I really don't know.what your waffling on about. But keep on moaning about something that's happening wether you moan about it or not. If it's a shit show you can get to do what you're itching to do anyway . Tell everyone you told us so.

Won't make wholesale differences reading that.
Clubs will need to temper the stockpiling of teenagers from overseas, but they'll still be bringing in who they want for the 1st team. Work permits are a piece of piss, as we've shown up here (Pena, Herrera, Kouassi etc).

Last edited:
I really don't know.what your waffling on about. But keep on moaning about something that's happening wether you moan about it or not. If it's a shit show you can get to do what you're itching to do anyway . Tell everyone you told us so.
I’m Sure u dont.

& I’m not moaning, I just foreseen this kinda sh1t happening pre brexit. I was told I was talking nonsense at the time

The other UK countries presumably wouldn’t be classed as ‘overseas’ players. In fact the FA statement talks of players who do t ‘have the right to work in the UK’. Obviously home nations players have the right to work in the UK.

Post Brexit, clubs will not be able to sign players freely from the EU. Players from EU countries who want to play in the Premier League or EFL will be required to gain a GBE, like all other overseas players without the right to work in the UK.
Sorry, maybe didn’t make it clear, I was meaning would other UK countries be in the same position as England in not being able to sign under 18s from Europe. The announcement seems to refer only to EPL and EFL clubs, with no indication of any involvement of the other UK football governing bodies.

They've actually made it easier to sign players from South America aged over 18 - the Libertadores is weighted the same as playing in the Champions League.

Sorry, maybe didn’t make it clear, I was meaning would other UK countries be in the same position as England in not being able to sign under 18s from Europe. The announcement seems to refer only to EPL and EFL clubs, with no indication of any involvement of the other UK football governing bodies.
Got you now mate. This is the (English) FAs pronouncement on the matter. Up to the other home Associations to make their own announcements which, you would expect, will be broadly similar if not identical.

This is what happens when you allow people with tattoos on their faces to vote.
No this is what happens when you tell people they're racist scum for years when they've seen their community change beyond all recognition. Seen the job market flooded with people driving down wages. Their public services going to shit because it can't cope with the demand the influx of people caused. If they ever queried this they were called racist scum. So it wasn't really a surprise to anyone with a brain those same "scum" voted to leave the EU. I'd say this is what happens when you put all the problems of a policy on to 1 type of community while other more affluent communities get all the benefits from it.

Last edited:
Brexit again. Worst idea we've ever had.
Brexit has cost Britain more in direct costs than we collectively ever gave the EU in all of our time as a member.

That’s before you factor in all the jobs that have gone forever and the devaluation of the pound.

The worst thing that has ever happened to this country in peacetime.

It will also, by the looks of it, be detrimental to football sides in the UK but some are still proud of their decision.

The economic effect is going to be seismic (worse than COVID according to the head of the Bank of England). There will be nothing 'minimal' about it. And for what? So there's less foreigners in the country. Pathetic.
Ano
Canny admit mistakes have been made

The economic effect is going to be seismic (worse than COVID according to the head of the Bank of England). There will be nothing 'minimal' about it. And for what? So there's less foreigners in the country. Pathetic.
The EU never worked for millions and millions of normal people. It obviously does for you. The people that don't believe it works for them voted to leave through personal experience on the whole. Nothing to do with too many foreigners. People like yourself and that attitude was 1 of the reasons. Just because your life was fine with it doesn't mean others were. Probably best for the lounge tbh.

Brexit has cost Britain more in direct costs than we collectively ever gave the EU in all of our time as a member.

That’s before you factor in all the jobs that have gone forever and the devaluation of the pound.

The worst thing that has ever happened to this country in peacetime.

It will also, by the looks of it, be detrimental to football sides in the UK but some are still proud of their decision.
And my 90yr old grandad, who's an expat living in Spain the last 30 years, now has no choice but to move back to the UK as he won't get healthcare over there now. And he won't be the only one. Fund our NHS they said...

Just means that EU nationals have to apply for a Tier 2 visa (same as the likes of Alfie and Zungu will have done). For the amount these players are going to contribute to the UK economy, it's highly unlikely that anyone is going to have their visa turned down. Don't think this will have a massive impact on the UK's football industry overall (maybe on Academies, but that may be no bad thing if that means focussing more on our own talent).

Hardly a stick to beat those in favour of Brexit!

That’s got to be a good thing....no more James McLeans refusing the Poppy!!

Boo-fu(king-hoo.

So what, some extra paperwork and an admin fee for a gimmicky visa for some players. Big deal. Imagine having to be forced into *actually* developing our own talent (like we did very successfully for a hundred odd years).

Boo-fu(king-hoo.

So what, some extra paperwork and an admin fee for a gimmicky visa for some players. Big deal. Imagine having to be forced into *actually* developing our own talent (like we did very successfully for a hundred odd years).
Delusional.

And my 90yr old grandad, who's an expat living in Spain the last 30 years, now has no choice but to move back to the UK as he won't get healthcare over there now. And he won't be the only one. Fund our NHS they said...

How did he get free health care over there mate? I had an operation on my ankle over there and if I never had travel insurance I was getting a massive bill.

It will have implications, however the value of our players will go up in England I would think.
One of the problems is that if English teams have to rely more on UK based players we may struggle in future to bring in players like Goldson or Kent etc due to these inflated values and more competition for them.

Putting the brexit debate to the side for a minute...

This is an excellent opportunity for special measures to be put in place for football work permit applications. Its reasonable - in my opinion - to give clubs special dispensation to bring in footballers from all over the world, instead of Europe. Surely no good argument would exist in a reasonable society, to prevent teams bringing in a talented player from Brazil or Nigeria for example. Since they will be paying PAYE at substantial amounts, and their labour improves the country.

It seems a no brainer, and the definition of an intelligent immigration policy.

Well many were already losing ,but nobody that was pro EU gave 1 shit about their concerns or issues. Juat called them racist like Brown did with that old lady in GE campaign. Maybe they should've listened and it all could've been avoided.

There are a number of benefits to brexit. I hate how the media has turned it into a "dumb brexiteer racist" vs "intelligent benevolent liberal" debate.

The European Union as a trading block was a great idea. A federal state of Europe is an awful idea and unfortunately the latter is where its heading.

Back