Entry requirements for overseas players post Brexit (England)

That’s got to be a good thing....no more James McLeans refusing the Poppy!!
I work with a Paddy here in London. UK and the republic have some sort of common agreement before EU which means none of them have to apply for right to remain or any of that. Same for us over there apparently (according to him). I imagine it might mean more Irish footballers if the european supply gets cut off therefore

The EU never worked for millions and millions of normal people. It obviously does for you. The people that don't believe it works for them voted to leave through personal experience on the whole. Nothing to do with too many foreigners. People like yourself and that attitude was 1 of the reasons. Just because your life was fine with it doesn't mean others were. Probably best for the lounge tbh.
The keenest people and the most vocal supporters of the EU were politicians. Normally that should make ordinary people very wary. They can smell a gravy train from further than a pig can smell a truffle.

They've actually made it easier to sign players from South America aged over 18 - the Libertadores is weighted the same as playing in the Champions League.

Thinking about it: If clubs already have a knowledge of the region (not just Argentina and Brazil) then there is a real opportunity to pick up some of the best young players going.

Could this be a good opportunity for us? If the rules for the SPFL are more relaxed than the ones for the EPL, it could be easier to attract young foreign players to develop and sell onto the EPL.

It’s like going back to the days of the 3 foreigners rule when we had 2 teams one for domestic Football and another for European football - if you believe this will affect us as much as down south

I'm not a Europhile. Never even voted in the Brexit referendum.
Well spare me the snide remarks.

Besides, tonight’s Brexit latest, how deluded we are - caring for animal welfare. Fools!

The issue is less the players being able to move freely or work permits. Most E.U players would rather move with their families in toe. Take Alfredo Morelos for example, his wife and newborn can't stay here with him all year round due to work permits/visas stipulations. That will come into a players thinking when deciding to move to either England or Scotland. Means European players will be less inclined to stay in the UK for long spells and will want to make a quick buck then leave.

What often gets completely disregarded by people, is the human aspect of it. Why would an E.U player want to leave the E.U to go play on a long term contract in the UK, when their wives and children won't be guaranteed to move with them? Players will demand bigger wages as a result.

I may be completely wrong and special dispensation will be granted for them, but they don't for South American or African players at present. So it's not a gimme.
Not sure where you've got this from but it is absolute nonsense. Family members (spouse, children under 18) can apply for Tier 2 dependent visas in line with the individual who has been sponsored to work here. Such visas entitle them to live in the UK 365 days a year and also allow them to work here should they choose to do so.

I don't see this working and there will be an insane amount of complaints. the value of any half decent UK player will fly through the roof and could have a massive negative impact on clubs like ourselves. Surely a squad based system where you can sign 10-15 non UK citizens, is better.

The Irish players are screwed, can't sign to the UK and it's going to be very hard for them to get European moves.

We should demand £100m for Kent, Tav and Goldson.

Not sure where you've got this from but it is absolute nonsense. Family members (spouse, children under 18) can apply for Tier 2 dependent visas in line with the individual who has been sponsored to work here. Such visas entitle them to live in the UK 365 days a year and also allow them to work here should they choose to do so.

I've been misinformed then. I'll edit the post.

I work with a Paddy here in London. UK and the republic have some sort of common agreement before EU which means none of them have to apply for right to remain or any of that. Same for us over there apparently (according to him). I imagine it might mean more Irish footballers if the european supply gets cut off therefore
It depends if the FA create a foreigners rule, as this is what we’re speaking of, it’s not immigration laws that’s being referred to.

If the scottish system is less strict more in accordance with our place in world football we should be able to sign players we can develop into sellable assets to the English leagues. If the SFA have their head screwed on we could see some advantage over this.

More likely they will make a hash out of it.

Would Uefa make any eligibility changes or even introduce a maximum non-EU players in squads in response to Brexit ??

The European Union as a trading block was a great idea. A federal state of Europe is an awful idea and unfortunately the latter is where its heading.
it is far worse than that. It is rule by civil servants and technocrats with only a sop to democracy with a Parliament that can not either initiate nor reject legislation.

I can't see these top earning European players not being allowed to stay or being prevented from coming in. Anybody who's going to be pumping £20, 30, 40k to the taxman each week will be welcomed with open arms.

De gea for example is banging in nearly £ 200k per week. The tax man wouldn't miss that for the sake of a work visa.

I think it won't effect footballers much. Should be very easy to get a visa.
Having fewer mediocre players from the continent, I don't see how that's a bad thing anyway. Bringing through our own is surely the way to go?

And my 90yr old grandad, who's an expat living in Spain the last 30 years, now has no choice but to move back to the UK as he won't get healthcare over there now. And he won't be the only one. Fund our NHS they said...
The money that has been wasted on this destructive process could have been huge for the nhs.

You also notice the brexiteers don’t admit to the huge impetus their stupidity has handed the snp.

Well spare me the snide remarks.

Besides, tonight’s Brexit latest, how deluded we are - caring for animal welfare. Fools!

My concern is Rangers and the impact anything has on us. I'm not here to discuss other aspects of Brexit, that is for the lounge. The idea though that we could face restrictions on transfers, along with the rest of the UK, and that this would somehow be a good thing is delusional.

The money that has been wasted on this destructive process could have been huge for the nhs.

You also notice the brexiteers don’t admit to the huge impetus their stupidity has handed the snp.

The same SNP who voted to leave the EU in 2014?

How did he get free health care over there mate? I had an operation on my ankle over there and if I never had travel insurance I was getting a massive bill.
As an EU citizen you would’ve had the same rights the locals have. It’s it’s free for them it’s free for you, if they pay you pay.

Yes, that’s why I voted remain in both referendums. ‘Better together’ wasn’t just a catchy sound bite, it was something I believed in. The brexiters now sound exactly like the Scottish nats.

The SNP only aligned themselves with the anti Brexit campaign as they saw a potential opportunity to reignite the independence debate and call for another referendum.

Having been told that remaining in the UK was Scotland's best chance of remaining in Europe, which it was, the Nats are now portraying that as a lie and moaning about being dragged out of Europe against our wishes to boost their calls for Indy 2.

Fact is there was a 50/50 chance of remaining in Europe if we stayed with the UK (probably 60/40 at the time the statement was made) against a very slim chance that an Independent Scotland would be admitted/able to continue its membership.

Screaming about Europe and claiming the want to remain while, at the same time, aligning themselves with the Catalans and alienating Spain who have the right to veto.

This, however, is way off from the OP and probably more suited to the lounge.

Putting the brexit debate to the side for a minute...

This is an excellent opportunity for special measures to be put in place for football work permit applications. Its reasonable - in my opinion - to give clubs special dispensation to bring in footballers from all over the world, instead of Europe. Surely no good argument would exist in a reasonable society, to prevent teams bringing in a talented player from Brazil or Nigeria for example. Since they will be paying PAYE at substantial amounts, and their labour improves the country.

It seems a no brainer, and the definition of an intelligent immigration policy.
I agree, it would do wonders for my football manager teams

Wow, maybe someone should have warned voters that the whole thing was a con.

I can't see this being a benefit for us whatsoever, but hey, sovrunty right?

Haven't read the link but I'm just short of certain that the government will do their utmost to accommodate the EPL, and by extension, British club football. The EPL is such a cash cow for the UK state that the govt will not want to threaten it.

Our current transfer model is to buy young players on the cusp of breaking through - develop then sell on for profit. This cuts off a huge number of players to us from Europe if they haven’t played international football as yet or not known enough to get a work permit. The same reason we don’t snap up young Brazilian or Argentines.

Regardless of views on Brexit, this will not be a good thing for us or the paedos or Scottish football generally.

Like all these types of schemes, money talks. Are the UK government really going to knock back the tax value of some unheard of Spanish singing for Man City on 300k per week?

There will be loopholes a plenty. The clubs will continue to get their players and the UK Gov will continue to rake in their tax

Probably going forward, but I would say short term it may benefit us. I imagine the market would settle down after a while.
The short term would be very short though. We need to think more than a couple of years ahead. If the English leagues do end up being restricted in anyway then the market will continue to price us out of players that are currently achievable for us, both in transfer fees and wages. English players have been over-priced for many years now and that will also impact players at lower levels if this comes to pass.

The short term would be very short though. We need to think more than a couple of years ahead. If the English leagues do end up being restricted in anyway then the market will continue to price us out of players that are currently achievable for us, both in transfer fees and wages. English players have been over-priced for many years now and that will also impact players at lower levels if this comes to pass.

Fortunately we can have faith that we will be able to bring in players for good value and bring through some of our own youngsters and sell on in the future. All teams will be looking at the implications though.

Back