Enzo Maresca their first choice for new manager

The main takeaway from that appointment for me is it seems likely if he's their choice their DOF will indeed be one of the City employees linked. Going down this road would to me indicate they're going for a pretty substantial restructure and rebuild - an untried manager yet seemingly some cohesion between the appointments for the two positions probably looking to the long-term.

Impossible to say right now either at this juncture, but it might also be indicative of their financial power going forward. Given the links they've already had with City the past few years with multiple players going on loan to them, a move like this might indicate a pivot from splashing out on big fees like they have with Jullien and Edouard and marquee loans like Duffy and Elyonoussi, to relying on young players on loan or with substantial sell-on's from City on maybe more favourable terms. Some of that is obviously true given they patently won't have the financial muscle of years gone past, but it will be interesting to see if they completely abandon their previous strategy in favour of essentially being a farming ground for Man City. I might be stretching that a bit far, but if they are going all-in on City appointments I'll be amazed if that doesn't involve closer links between the teams, which they might be banking on to compensate for their diminishing financial advantage.

All that said, regardless of his supposed coaching credentials if I had to pick a person who I wanted to take that job it would be someone with a CV like that. Inexperienced and foreign, and will definitely need time to get used to Scottish football and have to rebuild that squad with far less financial backing than his predecessors. Wouldn't be unhappy with this appointment at all, bring it on.
You articulated it better than me, but that’s what I meant when I said ‘I hope so” :)

Doesn't matter who they get.

Their new chief executive knows f*ck all about football. Their best players are leaving for buttons as they have a year left.

They won't make the champions league through tougher route and will have to replace a full squad on the cheap.

They are done for a year or two atleast imo.

Honestly thought the day after Rangers won the league they'd maybe try and leak that some imaginary big name manager was in talks to the papers.

If this is the best they can come up with it's safe to say they are pretty much skint and downsizing drastically in the summer.

One thing is for sure their manky horde fans won't be giving any incoming manager any time.
A shaky start next season and they'll be back outside Celtic Park throwing fences around.

Which will be nice.
A right good hard draw and knocked out of CL qualifying would be lovely...

I assume this means Patrick Roberts will be returning as their 3rd time lucky marquee loanee signing then? :shh: B-D

They are so proper fukt, they may need to release a periwinkle blue strip.B-)B-)B-)B-)B-)

FBS

His budget will be enough to buy 3 flumps, 2 bubblies, 5 flying saucers and 3 black jacks
That’s about a score these days B-D

Man City u23 are great for over2.5 goals bets. As much down to the choice of players they have no doubt. different story from building a team on a relative shoestring and having to win every game under immense pressure of shark attacks if you don’t.

There has been enough in the media up here softening the scum fans up to what is really going to happen. It will be Collins as sporting director and Kennedy as head coach. :D

You think they will give him 3 years to get it right with a full squad overhaul? The sharks will be flying!!!

Poisoned chalice.

The irony in Celtic wanting an under 23 coach who’s never actually managed a team is quite something.

Can’t wait to watch the mental gymnastics from their fans who laughed at us doing similar with Gerrard.
I wonder if he’ll be.....
A. Quietly terrified
B. Brilliantly astute appointment

Their Man City links make them look like a feeder club.

I would hate having such a parasitical relationship with a ‘bigger’ richer club.

I can’t see this going down too well with the deluded hordes who are simultaneously asking for season ticket refunds and expecting the likes of Benitez to be bankrolled.

They are basically building themselves up to take a chance on a pile of ex Man City youngsters in the hope of selling them on. So much so they are even bringing in the coach.

Trying the Stevie G experiment to see if that works for them.
It won’t work the same, because;

A) he’s not a household name, although a handy player in his time he’s not got the wow factor.
B) he wasn’t a leader in the same mould as Gerrard. I’m not doubting his credentials as a coach, but he will absolutely not be in the same mould as Gerrard.
C) he’s not Irish, he certainly isn’t downtrodden or has a chip on his shoulder and won’t understand why his clubs fans are so manky and horrible.
D) he won’t get long at all in that job because his clubs fans simply won’t allow a first season failure. Simple as that.

It’s an experiment that’s absolutely doomed to failure. It’s a fancy dancy appointment because he works at City with a hell of a lot of money to spend and a world class set up with world class coaches and a world class management set up.

I’d love them to Sign him up, I would be very confident that he won’t be here by the end of next season.

According to an Italian journalist would probably be a sensible appointment for them given what he's done with the Man City reserves but they will no doubt be getting their handouts for loan deals from them and obviously it'll come down to how much he's given to spend in the summer if he goes their thoughts?

We have seen what young loan players from top EPL teams can and can't do.

It doesn't fill me with dread.

Yup sure hes gonna take a pay cut to join them !! Currently working with quality players at City must be chomping at the bit with this world class opportunity !!

A bit like us appointing Steven Gerrard, albeit this guy has more experience in a coaching role. Although we were in a far worse position than what they currently are.

I won’t be writing any one off. We know how quickly things can change within the Old Firm. We’ve just got to focus on ourselves and continue to improve.

Cheap option, not a name that will mean anything to the majority of supporters. Celtic need to go big with the next appointment as their hoard are extremely disillusioned, and a big name would get them back onside, can't see Maresca being that guy, which is absolutely delightful.

It would be a big risk for them.

Do they have the patience to give him time to settle in?

Given that they were rioting outside of their stadium after their first cup defeat in 5 years, I don't think their entitled fans will give him the time he will need.

We have seen what young loan players from top EPL teams can and can't do.

It doesn't fill me with dread.
They soon will be calling them Manchester selik or selik City, the filth are losing there identity with all these loan players they use & this relationship they have with city as all they are becoming is a feeder club for one of the big English hitters , over a third of there first team this year they don't even own , yet the filth support keep telling us that there squad is better than ours , there board are really taking them for mugs , long may it continue .

They soon will be calling them Manchester selik or selik City, the filth are losing there identity with all these loan players they use & this relationship they have with city as all they are becoming is a feeder club for one of the big English hitters , over a third of there first team this year they don't even own , yet the filth support keep telling us that there squad is better than ours , there board are really taking them for mugs , long may it continue .

Loan players have no skin in the game when things get tough.

They may get some technically good players but generally they aren't up for the fight.

Use of the loan market is one of their problems. You can’t build a team around other teams players. Fine the odd one for a season to get you by but four or five won’t ever work. Loan to buy is ok but working tge loan market all you are doing is making another team money.

Like an Aldi Arteta.

He was also an absolute wimp as a player when he was at West Brom.

Would be a terrible choice...for them.

if they get the manager in first then it would suggest they aren't going with a Director of Football.

DoF should be the first in the door.
And should have been in when they identified they needed everything gutted out. I think they said that in January :D

The guy probably has a ability as a coach with great young players, but managing either OF club requires a lot more than that

Also, if I were, god forbid, a crash barrier, I would be slightly concerned at relying solely on the expertise and limited connections of Peter Lawwell's son. They aren't exactly casting the net very wide for the best possible candidate, are they?

Will take any foreign coach years to get to grips with the game up here.

Yes, please.
Like Dick Advocaat and Wim Jansen?

I agree it would be a big risk recruiting this guy and it would seem they are trying to emulate what we did. Their problem is the mhanky hoards will not be patient and allow time for their new manager to build. If there is no immediate success the sharks will be back.

1536808120.0457-smiley.gif

He'll need £50m to catch us
They have a rebuild exercise similar to the one we had when Advocaat came in. That saw 38 million in transfer fees in the first season alone.

Unless they get very lucky with who they sign 50 million is on the low side.

Kilmarnock appointed Italian,Angelo Alessio as manager.
He was assistant manager to Antonio Conte at Juventus for three years.
Alessio lasted 22 games in Scotland and was dumped out the Europa League at the diddy,diddy,diddy round by a part time Welsh team.
Something similar for this guy would be good :)

Back