Enzo Maresca their first choice for new manager

I look forward to their loan signing of the next Aaron Nemane :shh:

Like Dick Advocaat and Wim Jansen?

I agree it would be a big risk recruiting this guy and it would seem they are trying to emulate what we did. Their problem is the mhanky hoards will not be patient and allow time for their new manager to build. If there is no immediate success the sharks will be back.

1536808120.0457-smiley.gif

Advocaat and Jansen were both vastly experienced managers.

Unless I’m missing something, this guy has %^*& all first team managerial experience.

And this difference between him and us appointing Steven Gerrard is...well, Steven Gerrard.

If this Maresca phoned you up wanting you to sign you’d say “who?” And put the phone down.

Advocaat and Jansen were both vastly experienced managers.

Unless I’m missing something, this guy has %^*& all first team managerial experience.

And this difference between him and us appointing Steven Gerrard is...well, Steven Gerrard.

If this Maresca phoned you up wanting you to sign you’d say “who?” And put the phone down.
Aye I know they were experienced but the point made was that it takes "foreign" coaches years to adjust to our game which is false.

I agree with you on the Gerrard part, I just said they were trying to emulate what we did i.e. young coach with potential.

They can't afford an established coach so they have to take a risk on an unproven one. It was a big risk when we did it and it would be a big risk for them.

Similar CV to the Italian boy killie had - I hope for a similar outcome.

Regardless of if this works at all it shows that they are not going balls deep in trying to source someone who’s proven. It’s a riskier appointment and it’s almost a copy of what we have done. Remember how it was ridiculed and questions - DoF no place in Scottish football etc. Where’s the article on this now??

They are putting a lot of stock in this guys success with the Man City U23s, completely failing to realise that the system and training methods used are dictated by by Guardiola.

To be honest I despaired at Gerrard's appointment. Top class players seldom make really successful managers. Having listened to his press conferences and interviews there is clearly a sharp intelligence there. Allied to his breadth of experience at the top level and will to win then his success was assured. He adopted a style to suit the purpose, that style is that of the great Liverpool teams of 60s 70s and 80s. Shankly "if the opposition don't have the ball they can't score". I've no idea who Maresca is, but I doubt he has the attributes that SG has, there will be few who do.

Seems like a big risk for them, ok we took a similar approach with Gerrard but it worked out because

A. He is a born winner that has been able to implement the same mentality with his players.
B. He brought absolutely top quality backing staff with him which was vital.
C. He was given time by the fans and board to build success.
D. He has been backed by a quality DOF and recruitment system which again has been vital.

That lot will have none of those things so would be better just getting a proven manager

He has top league experience even if only an assistant and has done well with their U23 squad. Our manager had less experience but his problem will arise when he has to add to and get big earners away from that club, it will be something he hasn’t dealt with. Also he will have little time unless he comes in now before CL qualifying starts he could well be up against it within weeks they are not exactly a patient bunch , entitled fûcks.

The guy probably has a ability as a coach with great young players, but managing either OF club requires a lot more than that

Also, if I were, god forbid, a crash barrier, I would be slightly concerned at relying solely on the expertise and limited connections of Peter Lawwell's son. They aren't exactly casting the net very wide for the best possible candidate, are they?
the mentally challengeds dont want another yes man but here they are going down the route of someone who wont upset desmond.

According to an Italian journalist would probably be a sensible appointment for them given what he's done with the Man City reserves but they will no doubt be getting their handouts for loan deals from them and obviously it'll come down to how much he's given to spend in the summer if he goes their thoughts?
If it’s Man City’s U23’s then I suspect with their money & quality any half decent coach should expect results. If he was doing it at say WBA then that’s different (in my opinion)

Has their actually been a successful Italiian manager in Scotland? Only one I can think of is Killie's failed Italian.

This one doesn’t seem to be going away, which is hugely encouraging from our perspective.

It’s a really bizarre choice of manager that could suggest significant downsizing is on the cards.

TIAR was the holy grail for them. Now that it’s gone I suppose you could look at it that rebuilding from the ground up is actually the sensible and opportune thing to do.

However, will their fans have the patience to allow the rebuild to reach fruition over time?

All historical evidence suggests not.

For a start, who is this guy? Nobody’s heard of him. He’s a well respected youth coach and sometime assistant manager, but unlike Gerrard he has no stature in the game and is going to be asked to go toe to toe with our man while the green and grey hordes jitter and fret anxiously over his shoulder ready to pounce at the first sign of fallibility.

It won’t be his coaching credentials that will determine whether he succeeds or not, it’ll be his ability to manage the expectations of a notoriously fickle and unforgiving support at one of British football’s biggest clubs.

Warburton lasted just eight or nine months after our return to the top flight, Pedro even less.

Chances are this guy, if indeed it’s to be him, will be gone before the end of next season if he fails to make a serious fist of it from the get go.

Here’s hoping!

Always difficult to predict how managerial appointments will turn out - but safe to say an unproven reserve coach with no Scottish experience, taking over a club in need of a total rebuild, is almost certainly good news for us.

I don’t know who they will get as a coach but what I will say is we shouldn’t stand still when the summer comes. What I mean by this is we where told “they are light years ahead of us” but complacency and our desire to win allowed us to overtake them and steam roll the league. I want us to go out this summer make the right moves and regardless of who they bring in we shall not be moved !

also who the F*** this guy !!!

Seems like a big risk for them, ok we took a similar approach with Gerrard but it worked out because

A. He is a born winner that has been able to implement the same mentality with his players.
B. He brought absolutely top quality backing staff with him which was vital.
C. He was given time by the fans and board to build success.
D. He has been backed by a quality DOF and recruitment system which again has been vital.

That lot will have none of those things so would be better just getting a proven manager
You never hear of any media mentioning the mentally challengeds are copying what we done plus it also may not work, they talk about the new DoF role and manager as though thats the problem solved, what if it goes pear shaped?

While we steadily grew over the years we still had to replace mark allen. I hope whoever they bring in fail.

Always difficult to predict how managerial appointments will turn out - but safe to say an unproven reserve coach with no Scottish experience, taking over a club in need of a total rebuild, is almost certainly good news for us.
That’s what the tims thought when SG took over. You just never know what they might bring to the table. The real blessing this season is they have to navigate through a tough non champs route in the CL, not too long after the euros are finished. If we make it through and they don’t, we’re really in the driving seat to create sustained success.

I think celtic are ready to write off next season's title and build over time. might be sensible with 2 champions league places likely. they have blown their load chasing 10 and now have a deficit

They are copying us and going down the youth manager from a top English side route...How original!

In theory its the same as us taking Gerrard when we did but lighting wont strike twice and with Gerrard I believe we have a special manager and a special talent.

That’s what the tims thought when SG took over. You just never know what they might bring to the table. The real blessing this season is they have to navigate through a tough non champs route in the CL, not too long after the euros are finished. If we make it through and they don’t, we’re really in the driving seat to create sustained success.
Decent (reserve) coach or not, he's not Steven Gerrard.

As I say, on balance it's good news for us.

I worried if the press will say that U23 Coach Maresca looks quietly terrified of the job in front of him. Or question his ability from day one to because he is an U23 coach???

Foreign managers coming to SPL rarely ever work out. Especially ones who have no background or understanding of the league or demands from fans.

Man City’s previous three under 23 managers didn’t set the heather on fire, Paul Harsley, released and unemployed, Simon Davies, the same, Patrick Viera, flopped at Nice, now unemployed, this guy seems to have a bit more about him, but I doubt if he would havd the know how to build a squad from scratch, or would get the time he would need.

His budget will be enough to buy 3 flumps, 2 bubblies, 5 flying saucers and 3 black jacks

The scum want lan players from a City.

Don’t know if it’s possible, if they can get the loan rules relaxed, watch pig eyes try it before his SPFL term is up.

To me this would be a reasonable managerial appointment if they already had the off-pitch infrastructure sorted and a DoF who had been in place for a reasonable amount of time. Not saying it won't work and the guy might be great, but giving an untested manager a huge rebuilding job, with restless natives and no DoF doesn't look like a recipe for success.

It's easier for us to sit back having now clinched the title and look at Gerrard's appointment as a masterstroke, but in reality it was a massive gamble from the board who probably felt that they had no option. If we had been in a stronger position on and off the park I don't think Gerrard would have been in contention. The fact that they feel compelled to try something similar tells you that they can't afford an experienced top level manager with a track record.

From Benitez and Eddie Howe to this guy.

It will probably be Kennedy with Strachan and Brown as his assistants :)

Man City are Pep's team top to bottom, he dictates how all teams play so they can fit seamlessly into any team.
If this coach is any good why have no EPL teams or Series A teams come in for him.
Arteta was no 2 at City, went to Arsenal and made a right horses arse out of it.
Khennedy will be their new manager.

He was the favourite for the Aberdeen job this morning. The bookies don't have a clue who the next manager will be. They've got Mcinnes as 4th favourite ffs

Could be good, could be shite, only time will tell.

However, who ever they get needs to hit the ground running or they will turn on him. 55 has broken them the same way MoJo did and the restless hordes are only ever 2 defeats away from Sharkagedon.

They mentally can’t handle getting bossed by us and Gerrard, the OF games have sent so many over the edge that normal same Celtic fans are turning into snivelling messes. However, what is ready sending them over the edge is that we are repeatedly doing amazing in Europe. The last time they done as well as we have done in Europe is 2004, they know they’ve been taken for a ride by their club, especially when we were in the wilderness and this is destroying them.

If we get past our next tie, and get the winner of Molde/Grenada I genuinely think some of them will combust.

Celtic need rebuilt from top to bottom. They have to go to a modern structure (as opposed to Lawwell picking manager, his backroom staff, chief scout and some players) and get the wage bill down. I suspect they have picked a DoF and manager who will be working in the background lining up Bosmans and Man City prospects.

Celtic need rebuilt from top to bottom. They have to go to a modern structure (as opposed to Lawwell picking manager, his backroom staff, chief scout and some players) and get the wage bill down. I suspect they have picked a DoF and manager who will be working in the background lining up Bosmans and Man City prospects.
they can pick who they like. they have to sign 6 or 7 first team players straight away, get them to gel as a team develop a style of play, tactics, rebuild the entire backroom staff and win games on the pitch. Took Gerrard 3 years will take them at least two. Probably longer. All of that against a reducing wage budget while we did it against an increasing wage budget. Always easier winning while expanding rather than contracting.

One question ... how many loans are you allowed? 4/5?

even with his connections to Man City - it depends on level of loanee they allow - if its patrick roberts / dennayer level then it will help them - if its Daniel Arzani / Aaron Nemane / Myoshino level ... then well crack on :)

I couldn't tell you much about Maresca and his coaching abilities but you would have to think he has something about him coaching at that elite reserve / academy level.

They are putting a lot of stock in this guys success with the Man City U23s, completely failing to realise that the system and training methods used are dictated by by Guardiola.

And that the squad has been filled from them poaching youth talent around the globe. Teams like Man City should have the best youth teams kicking about considering how much £ they spend flooding them.

He'll be coming up here trying to coach someone like Ralston as if he's Kyle Walker.

Reactions: fmp
No way would the Celtic media allow a foreign manager time to settle and he'd need that time. Hopefully some truth in this

I don’t know who they will get as a coach but what I will say is we shouldn’t stand still when the summer comes. What I mean by this is we where told “they are light years ahead of us” but complacency and our desire to win allowed us to overtake them and steam roll the league. I want us to go out this summer make the right moves and regardless of who they bring in we shall not be moved !

also who the F*** this guy !!!

with Gerrard at the helm we will never be caught standing still, the day the board do is the day he will leave

Back