EPL CEO on fans returning to football.

Valley Bluenose

What about buses and underground getting there - and getting home again?

The turnstile queue to get in?

The queue for the toilets?

The queue for the food/drink outlets?

Getting to your seat may necessitate squeezing past people in the same row as you who arrived earlier.

What about those who, inevitably, need to go for a piss during the match squeezing past you?

What about the mass exodus at full time (or indeed at 80 minutes for the Subway Loyal) and the queues on the stairwells to get out?

You'd, presumably, need the two seats to the left of you free, and the same two seats to the right of you free. Plus the row behind and the row in front. That might facilitate getting in/out and going to the toilet, of course.

What about those from the same household who could, presumably, sit together. Will the Stewards come down and check you are actually from the same household? If that restriction is still in place, obviously.

What about the crowds gathering outside for, lets say, an OF match with just 10-15k inside the Stadium?

I'm sure many of those can be overcome but the queues to get out of and into the Stadium may not be so easily overcome I fear.

GimmeShelter

Official Ticketer
Is that based on any knowledge or just a guess?
Will there will be no vaccine and immune status will not be considered this year. You're probably right to be fair, I'm just curious to hear the evidence you've considered to make such a bold statement.
It came from someone I trust, Rangers don’t expect any fans before the start of the new year.

Big D

Would be really pointless honestly. Still sitting about a metre away from everyone, and what about when someone needs to nip down for a piss? Don't see how phased crowds make one bit of difference. Would be a total sham. Just get everyone back or no one.
Correct. People in and out of rows. Turnstyle queues. Then there's getting there. Social distancing on the underground? Supporters buses? Would it even be viable to run buses less than half full? It really needs to be all or nothing I think.

top_cat

The 2 meter thing is not going to be possible long term, people need to just accept that eventually thats not going to be the case anymore.

Already talk of dropping it to 1 meter.
Exactly this, it simply won't work, it's barely working the now as it is, I work FT in an office and at times it's just not possible.

Greebo

it has been calculated that to meet the social distancing guidelines a stadium such as Ibrox can have roughly 15% of the capacity in it, if it uses single seating with spaces in between.

That can go up to around 20% if you use double seats together rather than singles, as you need to have less space (two seats together do not require to use up additional space).

However that does not allow for access, egress, using the toilets, getting to and from the stadium etc.

If there is talk about social distancing being reduced from 2m to 1m I haven't heard it. It also makes no sense to me, have droplets suddenly lost their ability to move through the air.

Valley Bluenose

The 2 meter thing is not going to be possible long term, people need to just accept that eventually thats not going to be the case anymore.

Expediency and economics will dictate it gets ditched in due course. However, only yesterday:

Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government Sir Patrick Vallance told the Downing Street press conference on Thursday that staying two metres away from others was generally safer than a one-metre gap.
"It's not an absolute (that) beyond two metres is safe and slightly less is not safe, there's a graduation across that, and so roughly at a metre it's somewhere between 10 and 30 times more risky than at two metres," he said.

EndOfDays

Expediency and economics will dictate it gets ditched in due course. However, only yesterday:

Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government Sir Patrick Vallance told the Downing Street press conference on Thursday that staying two metres away from others was generally safer than a one-metre gap.
"It's not an absolute (that) beyond two metres is safe and slightly less is not safe, there's a graduation across that, and so roughly at a metre it's somewhere between 10 and 30 times more risky than at two metres," he said.
We are 1 of only 3 countries on the planet using 2 meter, the rest are less than that.

Blaew

Some of the seats in the club deck and main stand feel about 20cm wide, with about 20cm legroom. They'd need to have a few empty seats to give two metres space. Would also mean families couldn't go together etc. It's a real headache, but hopefully the club can find a solution. Also not easy for stewards etc to distance.
Like that all round the ground tbh. Only the enclosures have decent leg room.

Valley Bluenose

We are 1 of only 3 countries on the planet using 2 meter, the rest are less than that.
I'm not a scientist. Maybe you are. Simply reporting what he said in response to the question yesterday.

As I've said, expediency will see it reduced. That does not, however, mean what he said was wrong.

Nevertheless, be it 1m or 2m makes no difference to, for example, a queue of folk on the stairwells waiting to get out the Stadium at full time. If you think that they are all going to hold back then you are nuts, quite honestly.

MCMLXXXI

Social distancing won't be a thing anymore in 6 months. Do you really think society is going to function like that long term?
No but long term isn't 6 months.

I don't see anyone allowed in this year & then (somehow) a phased basis after that.

basil1

With people losing jobs and others wary of public places it will take a while for attendances to consistently reach previous levels imo

sw26

From a completely non-scientific basis I still think looking too far into the future on this thing is a fool’s errand.

It’s not going to disappear overnight, but when you consider the changes in even the past month who knows what the situation might be in another 3-4 months time.

EndOfDays

What qualifies you to make that assumption?
5,000,000+ people in Scotland and yesterday less than 40 of them tested positive.

We are nearly through this crisis, its obvious but there is this really strange thing on here where people are determined that its going to last for years and years.

Morelos20

5,000,000+ people in Scotland and yesterday less than 40 of them tested positive.

We are nearly through this crisis, its obvious but there is this really strange thing on here where people are determined that its going to last for years and years.
Don't think anyone is saying that.

40 confirmed cases, how many people have we tested of those 5 million?

People seem to be forgetting that the virus hasn't changed its only people's attitudes getting lax.

Would you have risked your own or anyone else's life to go to Ibrox before if that was the option last season?

Covid has turned into the cold for a lot of folk.

Personally would rather wait until safety is guaranteed and I think that's the general consensus not "let's not play for years".

gerz1873

You are 15 times more likely to get Covid at a metre away than 2 metres away. I'd say that's a good reason to say to 2 metres

Barrymoped

You are 15 times more likely to get Covid at a metre away than 2 metres away. I'd say that's a good reason to say to 2 metres
The thing that gets me is, I’m in no way arguing with the boffins science on this.

However in other countries with 1.5m or even 1M distancing, they are continuing to see cases fall.

Valley Bluenose

The thing that gets me is, I’m in no way arguing with the boffins science on this.

However in other countries with 1.5m or even 1M distancing, they are continuing to see cases fall.
Not always the case. South Korea and Japan, lauded as handling things well, are seeing an increase in cases again and are imposing some local lockdowns again.

Jed jed1

Instead of keeping everyone in the dark why don't the FAs just say there will be no supporters in football grounds till at earliest January 2021? then they will review the situation, at least then people have clarification

GovanFront4

So, Rangers v Celtic few games in to the season. Only 20k allowed in with 40k season ticket holders. Can you imagine the thread on FF for those that missed out?

AndythephotoDr

I think what will happen will be the distance that it’s safe wearing a mask will be cut down and fans will be allowed to attend a seat apart with a mask/face covering on. No food or drink in the stadium

Valley Bluenose

I think what will happen will be the distance that it’s safe wearing a mask will be cut down and fans will be allowed to attend a seat apart with a mask/face covering on. No food or drink in the stadium
And when the final whistle goes and they all head for the staircases/exits? It’s the getting in and out that will be the bigger issue.

Greenisland Bear

Poland allowing 25% capacity stadiums from Mid June and Chat of the Swiss league allowing max capacity of seated fans (Excludes standing), so if there's cases, they can be detected as per ticket number etc.

we seemed to be a million miles behind frustratingly.

meldo53

Poland allowing 25% capacity stadiums from Mid June and Chat of the Swiss league allowing max capacity of seated fans (Excludes standing), so if there's cases, they can be detected as per ticket number etc.

we seemed to be a million miles behind frustratingly.
Are Poland allowing free travel without quarantine? It seems daft that I could get a flight to krakow and go to a game and then come back here with possibly having the virus

sw26

Don't think anyone is saying that.

40 confirmed cases, how many people have we tested of those 5 million?

People seem to be forgetting that the virus hasn't changed its only people's attitudes getting lax.

Would you have risked your own or anyone else's life to go to Ibrox before if that was the option last season?

Covid has turned into the cold for a lot of folk.

Personally would rather wait until safety is guaranteed and I think that's the general consensus not "let's not play for years".
There is no such thing as a ‘guarantee‘ of safety.

I could walk outside the house and get run over by a bus, doesn’t mean I won’t live my life. Admittedly that’s a spurious example but too many pinning their hopes on a vaccine which may never arrive.