EPL CEO on fans returning to football.

JW1988

Official Ticketer
EPL CEO Richard masters is quoted on Sky Sports saying there's "optimism that we will see fans back in the stadiums next season" but that crowds are likely to return "on a phased basis"

This was one of my fears for up here, realistically only us and Celtic have a real issue with numbers in the stadium. But if the only option is a phased return, how does that work with the vast majority of our matchday attendance being ST holders. It creates a real headache for the club as I'd assume the majority would be unhappy paying the same price for their ST as someone who gets to attend if they cannot.

Depends on how many would be allowed in,

20000 capacity

How many STH would we have - 46000?

Split STH into 3 groups?

Have a fixed seating plan were you would allocated a seat nor your normal one so that includes social distancing etc

Only way I could think to do it would be 1 week only odd numbered seats then the next even numbers.
Some of the seats in the club deck and main stand feel about 20cm wide, with about 20cm legroom. They'd need to have a few empty seats to give two metres space. Would also mean families couldn't go together etc. It's a real headache, but hopefully the club can find a solution. Also not easy for stewards etc to distance.

EPL CEO Richard masters is quoted on Sky Sports saying there's "optimism that we will see fans back in the stadiums next season" but that crowds are likely to return "on a phased basis"

This was one of my fears for up here, realistically only us and Celtic have a real issue with numbers in the stadium. But if the only option is a phased return, how does that work with the vast majority of our matchday attendance being ST holders. It creates a real headache for the club as I'd assume the majority would be unhappy paying the same price for their ST as someone who gets to attend if they cannot.
I wouldn't worry about it mate. Chief mammy will have all our grounds empty for next season. Got to be seen to be different and her serfs will lap it up.

20000 capacity

Split STH into 3 groups?

Have a fixed seating plan were you would allocated a seat nor your normal one so that includes social distancing etc

Dont go offering viable solutions, FF doesnt like that.

20000 capacity

Split STH into 3 groups?

Seems like a good idea. Even if it was about 17000, with no away fans, it would be better than nothing. Maybe something could be arranged to stream all home games to season ticket holders free of charge too.

Seems like a good idea. Even if it was about 17000, with no away fans, it would be better than nothing. Maybe something could be arranged to stream all home games to season ticket holders free of charge too.

They are looking at ways for that to happen in the short term

People are aware that social distancing will not be in place long term?

Literally less than 40 people in the whole of Scotland tested positive for Covid yesterday and we are in May, will likely be seeing 0 cases this time next month.

It will last probably until end this year

Would be really pointless honestly. Still sitting about a metre away from everyone, and what about when someone needs to nip down for a piss? Don't see how phased crowds make one bit of difference. Would be a total sham. Just get everyone back or no one.
Exactly. One per row would be the only answer

Even at 1.0m it is a bit of a stretch that one seat gap is enough. Even if it did though one occupied seat would have front, back, left and right unoccupied along with diagonals (another 4) so that is 9 seats taken per occupant. The very best that Ibrox could be managed here would be 5,500 (2 games for most ST holders) A two seat gap extends to 17 seats taken per occupant, a crowd of 3,000 (1 game for most ST holders)

!7,000 is a complete pipe dream. Until the social distancing requirement is removed people coming through the gate is going to be insignificant. It is a very real problem that I can't see a satisfactory solution to until there is no SD.

Last edited:
Agree it can be done, just saying taking out every second seat not enough
Would need to be a rota I think. Would need to be a survey to all STH to gauge who wants to go.

Take in to consideration folk that are shielding and unable to attend - they get access on RTV FOC plus a % to be redeemed against next seasons cost

when you’re not there you watch on RTV FOC. Plus I think some sort of credit for next year, just to sweeten folk up, but not as much as the folk sheilding

would probably get to about ⅓ of all games if you’re not sheilding

Even at 1.0m it is a bit of a stretch that one seat gap is enough. Even if it did though one occupied seat would have front, back, left and right unoccupied along with diagonals (another 4) so that is 9 seats taken per occupant. The very best that Ibrox could be managed here would be 5,500. A two seat gap extends to 17 seats taken per occupant, a crowd of 3,000.

!7,000 is a complete pipe dream. Until the social distancing requirement is removed people coming through the gate is going to be insignificant. It is a very real problem that I can't see a satisfactory solution to until there is no SD.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess there would have to be all sorts of rules if they did manage to bring it in as well. However, if you look at other areas like hospital waiting rooms, they have basically taped off two seats at a time and people are still pretty close together. Supermarkets still have communal toilets open. Courts will be open with full size juries, with similar spacing to what we could achieve. Also, it has been said that the virus does not spread as easily outdoors, so there are positives.
Masks would need to be worn at all times, I guess ticket holders would need to be given the option of attending or being refunded. It's extremely complicated, and certainly an issue that the SPFL could not make a decision on for all clubs. Perhaps by the time we look at it there will be solutions found in other countries.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess there would have to be all sorts of rules if they did manage to bring it in as well. However, if you look at other areas like hospital waiting rooms, they have basically taped off two seats at a time and people are still pretty close together. Supermarkets still have communal toilets open. Courts will be open with full size juries, with similar spacing to what we could achieve. Also, it has been said that the virus does not spread as easily outdoors, so there are positives.
Masks would need to be worn at all times, I guess ticket holders would need to be given the option of attending or being refunded. It's extremely complicated, and certainly an issue that the SPFL could not make a decision on for all clubs. Perhaps by the time we look at it there will be solutions found in other countries.

I adjusted my post above to reflect the fact that most ST holders (assuming we sold the full 45,000) would get 1 or 2 games a season depending on the SD. It's scary stuff with huge consequences.

As many as possible buying STs as possibles will be the most important thing IMO.

The 2 meter thing is not going to be possible long term, people need to just accept that eventually thats not going to be the case anymore.

Already talk of dropping it to 1 meter.
1 metre is the WHO guidance. France do 1.5, USA 6ft. We will reduce to allow sport, restaurants etc to become viable imo

I adjusted my post above to reflect the fact that most ST holders (assuming we sold the full 45,000) would get 1 or 2 games a season depending on the SD. It's scary stuff with huge consequences.

As many as possible buying STs as possibles will be the most important thing IMO.
I suppose a lot depends on a vaccine and other factors over which we have no control. It's a huge ask for people to pay full price for a season ticket with so few games to attend. Maybe the club would be able to provide other benefits to those who purchase to make it worth while. People will still want to buy their season tickets to keep their seats in future. I just can't wait to get back to normal.

Whatever we decide it’s going to upset people, the club are in a bit of a no win situation here, same goes for the Shettlestons, Hearts and maybe Aberdeen.

But if we have any chance of a solution then we have to take it, 10k is better than nobody.

But at the rate this is coming down we could be in a situation with zero new cases and still no fans allowed.

Could easily be split in 2...1 half 1 week the other have next but the issue will be fans wanting season book cash back for giving up a few games.

There will be no fans at Ibrox in 2020
Is that based on any knowledge or just a guess?
Will there will be no vaccine and immune status will not be considered this year. You're probably right to be fair, I'm just curious to hear the evidence you've considered to make such a bold statement.

What about buses and underground getting there - and getting home again?

The turnstile queue to get in?

The queue for the toilets?

The queue for the food/drink outlets?

Getting to your seat may necessitate squeezing past people in the same row as you who arrived earlier.

What about those who, inevitably, need to go for a piss during the match squeezing past you?

What about the mass exodus at full time (or indeed at 80 minutes for the Subway Loyal) and the queues on the stairwells to get out?

You'd, presumably, need the two seats to the left of you free, and the same two seats to the right of you free. Plus the row behind and the row in front. That might facilitate getting in/out and going to the toilet, of course.

What about those from the same household who could, presumably, sit together. Will the Stewards come down and check you are actually from the same household? If that restriction is still in place, obviously.

What about the crowds gathering outside for, lets say, an OF match with just 10-15k inside the Stadium?

I'm sure many of those can be overcome but the queues to get out of and into the Stadium may not be so easily overcome I fear.

Is that based on any knowledge or just a guess?
Will there will be no vaccine and immune status will not be considered this year. You're probably right to be fair, I'm just curious to hear the evidence you've considered to make such a bold statement.
It came from someone I trust, Rangers don’t expect any fans before the start of the new year.

Would be really pointless honestly. Still sitting about a metre away from everyone, and what about when someone needs to nip down for a piss? Don't see how phased crowds make one bit of difference. Would be a total sham. Just get everyone back or no one.
Correct. People in and out of rows. Turnstyle queues. Then there's getting there. Social distancing on the underground? Supporters buses? Would it even be viable to run buses less than half full? It really needs to be all or nothing I think.

The 2 meter thing is not going to be possible long term, people need to just accept that eventually thats not going to be the case anymore.

Exactly this, it simply won't work, it's barely working the now as it is, I work FT in an office and at times it's just not possible.

it has been calculated that to meet the social distancing guidelines a stadium such as Ibrox can have roughly 15% of the capacity in it, if it uses single seating with spaces in between.

That can go up to around 20% if you use double seats together rather than singles, as you need to have less space (two seats together do not require to use up additional space).

However that does not allow for access, egress, using the toilets, getting to and from the stadium etc.

If there is talk about social distancing being reduced from 2m to 1m I haven't heard it. It also makes no sense to me, have droplets suddenly lost their ability to move through the air.

Expediency and economics will dictate it gets ditched in due course. However, only yesterday:

Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government Sir Patrick Vallance told the Downing Street press conference on Thursday that staying two metres away from others was generally safer than a one-metre gap.
"It's not an absolute (that) beyond two metres is safe and slightly less is not safe, there's a graduation across that, and so roughly at a metre it's somewhere between 10 and 30 times more risky than at two metres," he said.

Expediency and economics will dictate it gets ditched in due course. However, only yesterday:

Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government Sir Patrick Vallance told the Downing Street press conference on Thursday that staying two metres away from others was generally safer than a one-metre gap.
"It's not an absolute (that) beyond two metres is safe and slightly less is not safe, there's a graduation across that, and so roughly at a metre it's somewhere between 10 and 30 times more risky than at two metres," he said.

We are 1 of only 3 countries on the planet using 2 meter, the rest are less than that.

Back