EPL Players Reject 30% Paycut

Pathetic stuff, avoiding a pay cut as they are concerned about the loss of tax to the NHS. They take a pay cut, allowing the clubs to top up the 20% to the lower non-playing staff. £200m in taxation in the current climate and expenditure is pennies.

They’ve also calculated that £200m figure on the basis the 30% reduction lasts for 12months - the true figure would likely be about half of that at most. The proposal is for 12 months, but would it really last that long?

It’s just an incredibly misjudged statement by the PFA altogether - they seem completely divorced from the reality of how this is affecting ordinary people, and how they are coming across.

“Our selfless players are are refusing to take a cut in their huge salaries because they want to help the NHS.”

Unreal. And what a pathetic excuse.

They are literally being paid to sit on their arse and do nothing. Their job is completely null and void. There are no alternative markets for them to even threaten to move to.

Only the highest earners do.

I'm no advocate for epl players wages, but when you take into account the smaller teams, the average wage will come out about double the average national wage.

Still more than enough for them to accept a greater reduction than they refused!

What? You think the average salary for an EPL player is double the average wage for a regular worker?

Is that what you are saying?

Have read that at least 12 Premier League Club owners are billionaires.

If they were all to put in a billion each to both help fight Covid 19 and help the clubs and staff out-with the players, that would help enormously rather than players taking a pay cut.

I believe a lot of players are already helping out on the QT by donating.

These Clubs have furloughed their non essential staff and claimed Government money that's just wrong, they want players to take pay cuts to keep the money in their coffers but don't want to pay their staff I hope this turns everyone against them, its been far to detached down South for years now.

Last edited:
The players will know themselves this is the last time they’ll ever be getting these types of wages.

A sea change is coming. The bubble has been pricked and will burst over the next couple of months.

They’ll cling on to their current contacts for as long as they can. Because the uncertainty of this all means many legitimately won’t know when their next pay day will come. If that takes down their clubs, then so be it.

What a mess this is going to be.

What? You think the average salary for an EPL player is double the average wage for a regular worker?

I have read that the average wage is in the low 60k region. If that is correct then yes, it is approximately double the average wage, which I believe is around the 30k mark.

They either take the cut or their clubs go bankrupt and they end up redundant with no money.

Look at Burnley probably one of the better ran clubs in the EPL financially and they are going to go to the wall if the league is not restarted soon. I would imagine 50% of clubs or more are running so close to the line the EPL that 4 months without TV money will mean administration or making player redundant.

I have read that the average wage is in the low 60k region. If that is correct then yes, it is approximately double the average wage, which I believe is around the 30k mark.

Just to put it into perspective for you. The average salary of an EPL player is over 3 million per year. The average Joe is under 30,000.

That is over a factor of 100 times more than the average worker. A wee bit more than double ffs.

If a company (football or not) can afford to pay a lot of their employees large salaries then they should not be claiming any money.

They should not be claiming government money for the cleaners, admin. staff etc.

This isn't about tax as the PFA seem to state , its about doing the right thing by taking a cut in wages to safeguard and subsidise the wages of your ordinary club employees during this time of uncertainty ie cleaners , tea ladies , ticket office staff etc , they may only be small cogs in a football clubs wheel but the wheel wouldn't turn without them . in the real world a 20% drop in these people's wages is a lot of money most of whom will be on minimum wage or not much more. Hope their greed comes back to bite them on the arse big time

Top-flight professionals have been coming under increasing pressure to take a drop in pay, especially with five Premier League clubs - Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich - now placing some non-playing staff on furlough leave under the Government's coronavirus job retention scheme.

Surprised it is not more than that actually.

We're all keen to make something happen," Rose, who is on loan at Newcastle, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I can only speak for myself but I would have no problems whatsoever contributing any of my wages to people who are fighting this on the front line and to people who have been affected by what's happening at the minute."

Earlier, captains of clubs - led by Jordan Henderson - had held talks about possible donations to charity during the pandemic.

"We sort of feel that our backs are against the wall. Conversations were being had before people outside of football were commenting," Rose, who has been loaned to Newcastle by Tottenham, added to the Friday Football Social.

"I've been on the phone to Jordan Henderson and he's working so hard to come up with something.

"It was just not needed for people who are not involved in football to tell footballers what they should do with their money. I found that so bizarre."

As long as they do something otherwise I can see some fans turning against the players.

I've no problem with players receiving their full pay so long as their clubs continue to pay all of their non-playing staff.

Any club furloughing their staff and therefore expecting the tax payer to pay 80% of these employees salaries (whilst still paying tens of thousands per week to the players) is a disgrace.

The players' wages issue seems to have fallen into two competing arguments,

1) The players are paid too much and should take a cut, suffer the pain like the rest of us.
or
2) The clubs are paying the players but taking government money to pay their lowest paid members of staff.

The first argument, I have no real answer to, we all love the 'big signing' and scream to get them on long term contracts to earn off of them when we sell them on.

The second argument, well here is my two penny worth. The PFA have made their arguments about tax, players contracts etc, and taken in isolation (as we all are) they probably make sense to them, however the issue still exists.

So how do you square this circle, well perhaps the players should be approached to set up a trust, where they pay in a percentage of their wages (10-25%?) every week/month, might even be some tax 'advantages' which could be used for donations to the NHS?

The trust fund agrees to give interest free loans to the club in question, for the duration of the crisis, to retain non-playing staff at the club, the loans all having a duration of x months. The money to be used solely for payroll purposes. The contracts for the loans all state that when the loans come due the club will have the option of issuing shares to the value of the loan or paying it back.

The idealistic side of me would see the players writing this money off as gone, so when they shares drop into the trust at the end of the period they would 'give' them to the fans, or at the least they could assign the voting rights.

The club gain some income back, the tax man gets his money, the non-playing staff are retained, the players gain a PR win, the PFA preserve their contracts and just maybe the fans get a little more influence in the club or the players become even more powerful, but perhaps a little more loyal?

And now Rooney is adding his 2p. Saying basically it's so unfair on footballers and how come other sports stars who live abroad aren't getting the same criticism.

Talk about deflection. If they live abroad they aren't subject to UK tax you Muppet! The players apparently were having private discussions . Ummmm. maybe they were but how long were they going to take?

Funny how the players are going on about the billionaire owners and how they should continue to pay the players but when the owners spend more on transfers than the club earns they whinge about it not being a level playing field.

An utter cesspit, that's all the EPL is. All of them. The owners. The players and the pundits.

Gary lineker now saying that footballers are getting picked on. Just f.uck off you jug eared prick
And also how bankers will get their bonuses. No they won't, the FCA made that very clear earlier last week about dividends and bonuses.

Thinking about it, maybe Gary should cut his obscene salary so the BBC is paying out as much?

I've no problem with players receiving their full pay so long as their clubs continue to pay all of their non-playing staff.

Any club furloughing their staff and therefore expecting the tax payer to pay 80% of these employees salaries (whilst still paying tens of thousands per week to the players) is a disgrace.

My views too, if a club can still afford to pay all wages to all staff I have no issues.

Going to be awkward when football resumes and the furloughed staff see the prima Donna's for the first time.

I really don't get this fascination of what players earn. Supply and demand affects all of our salaries.

It's not the fault of the players if their clubs are abusing the furlough scheme to pay non-playing staff.

is it not 104 times? I'm sure that I read that before the premier league a 1st division player in England earned 7x the median UK salary.

And now Rooney is adding his 2p. Saying basically it's so unfair on footballers and how come other sports stars who live abroad aren't getting the same criticism.

Talk about deflection. If they live abroad they aren't subject to UK tax you Muppet! The players apparently were having private discussions . Ummmm. maybe they were but how long were they going to take?

Funny how the players are going on about the billionaire owners and how they should continue to pay the players but when the owners spend more on transfers than the club earns they whinge about it not being a level playing field.

An utter cesspit, that's all the EPL is. All of them. The owners. The players and the pundits.

if wayne rooney's doing your talking its fair to say you don't have a fucking clue

You’ve got to look at it from their point of view though. If some of these players drop their wages they might not be able to afford the biggest private jet and may have to settle for the slightly smaller one instead.

Repulsive, self centred prima donna cûnts

Gary lineker now saying that footballers are getting picked on. Just f.uck off you jug eared prick
In a sense they are
what about all these extremely high paid MP’s, businessmen, execs etc

Thats not to say the footballers should be highlighted but so should plenty of others

Glad they want to help. Time for Rishi to announce an emergency 70% tax rate on all employees earning over £1m per year who’s employer has taken advantage of the furlough scheme for lower paid staff.
I'd make that over 250k, 80% over 500k, they'd still be far wealthier than us, we'll be lucky to be paying less than 60% tax after all this and they will be sitting pretty

I wonder if people/supporters might stop giving them their hard earned. Loads of people in the states prefer the college leagues due to the over paid self entitlement showed by the pro leagues

There’s an easy way to sort all of this - just introduce an additional covid tax for anyone earning over 20k a week this would cover the majority of people who can afford to help. Could also windfall tax the sneaky bastards who try to hide their wealth which would cover the owners as well as some other blights in society eg Philip Green

To be honest I agree with the players on this.

What is taking a wage cut going to actually do? If it's going to protect the jobs of lower paid non-playing members of staff then fair enough, but i've not seen any evidence that it would.

So what's it going to achieve? It's probably going to save their billionaire owners a few quid and none of the money will go to contributing towards the current situation. The only thing it actually does is reduce tax income by a fair bit.

Footballers have very short careers, and only a handful at the peak of the game will actually be able to live out the rest of their life without having to take another job.

They are in a privileged position and i'm sure many (like Alfie) will be doing all they can - but singling them out without a shred of evidence that cutting their salary will do a blind bit of good is complete bull.

MPs and MSPs continue to draw a full salary when they're not doing their job properly just now. Company chief execs the same. So why just single out footballers.

To be honest I agree with the players on this.

What is taking a wage cut going to actually do? If it's going to protect the jobs of lower paid non-playing members of staff then fair enough, but i've not seen any evidence that it would.

So what's it going to achieve? It's probably going to save their billionaire owners a few quid and none of the money will go to contributing towards the current situation. The only thing it actually does is reduce tax income by a fair bit.

Footballers have very short careers, and only a handful at the peak of the game will actually be able to live out the rest of their life without having to take another job.

They are in a privileged position and i'm sure many (like Alfie) will be doing all they can - but singling them out without a shred of evidence that cutting their salary will do a blind bit of good is complete bull.

MPs and MSPs continue to draw a full salary when they're not doing their job properly just now. Company chief execs the same. So why just single out footballers.

I agree with you, there's a strange fascination with football players wages.

If they agreed to the 30% wage cut was there confirmation that the money saved would have been used not to furlough non playing staff?

Back