EPL Players Reject 30% Paycut

It was always going to take one crisis for the over inflated football bubble to burst and this seems to be the way its going

When you think that NHS workers, carers, retail workers, transport workers and every other person working with the public putting their lives at risk (and some paying the ultimate price) these shameless bastards need to have a good long hard at themselves.

The people will not forget.
i'm not so sure, thousands will flock back when it restarts,
the greed shown by the footballers could be looked at like this,
big player, probably non british, (majority) talking to his agent/lawyer,
if they don't pay me my aGREED contract, can I walk away?
''if club goes under, i'll be free or sold cheaper by admin''.
I've got so much I wont need to anyway, but theres always somewhere.
££££$$$$

Am I reading the right, they are trying to position it that they are doing the government/nhs etc a favour by not taking a pay cut due to the tax paid on it

Last edited:
We undoubtedly will - ultimately most clubs
will, the point I’m making is that there is a lot of abuse towards epl players on this thread for not taking a pay cut, it’s surely rank hypocrisy not to criticise our own players for not doing similar.

Not really. The paycut only helps the club.

The problem is that the EPL clubs and the tims are using taxpayers money to pay their non playing staff but the players aren't taking a cut.

It's disgusting but not unexpected. I'm hoping that some or somebody will break from the ranks and show leadership. The disconnection from players to supporters is obvious to us all. Their lack of awareness in this crisis shows them up for the narcissists they are.

Am I reading the right, they are trying to position it that they are doing the government/nhs etc a favour but not taking a pay cut due to the tax paid on it
Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. The players are truly that stupid that they think the public will accept this as a valid reason. Never mind the collective tens of millions of tax they avoid deliberately through image rights paid to a company based outside of the UK. Fucking arseholes.

Players not really getting the mood of the nation.
Most of the Country sitting at home on 80% wages, worrying if they'll have a job to go back to and they do this.
I'm sitting at home on 0% my work are asking me to come in. I don't think we are key workers. So I am taking the advice of Boris and staying home. This situation is showing the real character of people. From stock piling big fucking rolls to looking after number 1 to companies dropping employees like wet smelly jobbies. All those will know who they are when it's all over. Let's hope we have long memories.

Have to admit the media’s fascination with football money is creepy. The only job where wages are stated in weekly terms.

Think how much football brings in in terms of tax revenue and the number of jobs, even indirectly.

You don’t get the same with high ranking Tory businesspeople. You don’t get the same with those involved in tv and movies.

Demonisation of working class entertainment to take people’s mind off the real problems.

Reactions: WBD
The players who won't take a pay cut are not harming the economy. They are harming the club the are contracted to. End of story. I simple terms if they take a wage when there is no income. The club goes to the wall. They are free to go to another club. Dependant on the length of thier contract it may or may not suit them.

Pathetic stuff, avoiding a pay cut as they are concerned about the loss of tax to the NHS. They take a pay cut, allowing the clubs to top up the 20% to the lower non-playing staff. £200m in taxation in the current climate and expenditure is pennies.

Maybe they should speak with the Tim Tax Experts over at Parkhead??
They seemed to know how it all worked when it was Rangers having tax problems.

they make more in a week than what an average man makes in a year!!!! Just crazy

In what way is it crazy? These guys are at the top of the profession in a multi billion pound industry which is responsible for tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of jobs.

Why don’t movie actors wages get micro analysed in the same way?

Probably because only one of the above is typically the working class who didn’t go to school with those in charge of media narrative

This is all going to get seriously ugly.

Good.

The EPL bubble has well and truly burst. It’s going to be entertaining watching this all unfold now.

Spot on. Almost the whole working population have suffer 20% pay cut whilst the country fights this virus and the vastly overpaid prima donna's that make up the majority of EPL believe they should not suffer at all, giving some spurious reason of less tax going to help NHS.

The one thing that can be said during only the first 2 weeks of lockdown is that football, on both sides of the border, has down nothing to stop this impression that it believes it should not play by the same rules as the rest of us. I have to be honest I could see the game far enough right now.

Last edited:
Earn more in a year than most earn in their lifetimes!
Only the highest earners do.

I'm no advocate for epl players wages, but when you take into account the smaller teams, the average wage will come out about double the average national wage.

Still more than enough for them to accept a greater reduction than they refused!

I would love to see a United front from the EPL clubs.
Furlough every last one of them.

People earning 80% of their wages and not knowing if there's jobs to go back to while these pricks refuse to drop from 60k a week?
Can you imagine if they got furloughed !
Would be HILLARIOUS.
Football is changing, im done with the premier League and if the tramps get handed the title without a fight then in all honesty id seriously think about handing in my ST.

Of course they don’t. Let’s use Vardy for example. The applaud for the NHS, do they go out and clap like every other sensible person? No of course they don’t, they do go out and applaud but they have someone film it and make it about them. F*ck the doctors and nurses putting themselves right in front of the biggest threat to life in50 years so long as they enhance their “brand”.
Well put sir!! it's turned into "look at me" while what they are trousering even after any cut could pay for at least 3 NHS front line staff! as some one has said earlier , C*UNTS!!

To state that this will reduce tax revenue, therefore, impacting the NHS seems ill-judged.

You're comment with the post gets it right. Whatever the players may think, and however aggrieved they may feel, they are prominent in the public eye and its only natural that they are attracting public scrutiny. My only reservation is that football players seem to be the go-to-guys in times like these, whilst the bankers, hedge fund millionaires, questionable businessmen, etc, are not subject to the same degree of public opprobrium.

In what way is it crazy? These guys are at the top of the profession in a multi billion pound industry which is responsible for tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of jobs.

Probably because only one of the above is typically the working class who didn’t go to school with those in charge of media narrative

Because actors dont have staff who are being furloughed and expect the government to pay the wages. These clubs are putting the lowest paid staff, many minimum wage, on the sceheme so the government pays their staff. Why not have the higher paid employees take a temporary cut and then the club could pay everyone? Someone taking a 15k a week cut is a year's wages for the cleaner. Tax payers should d be outraged clubs are abusing the system like that.

And many actors are helping, James MacAvoy gave 275k of his own money to his local NHS after they appealed for help for equipment.

Yes, and it's working class supporters who invest a lot of money and time in their club seeing it potentially being destroyed. Players treat fans with contempt and believe a little bit of badge-kissing will suffice.

The player takes his full salary and walks off to another club. What is left for the supporter?

There is a reason why a lot of footballers end up broke after football. I'm willing to bet that the majority of footballers in England have overly excessive lifestyles funded by their wages, any reduction in wages could see the vast majority of them go bankrupt, which is why they will be resistant to the wage cuts.

Lineker and others have been bleating on about how some players or the ManU squad have donated money, which is all nice. But this proves that for the majority of them it's all about their own money.

Could argue,Less wages means less tax for the pot?
But many of these clubs are furloughing non playing staff thereby taking money out the government pot. As Senora Cuellsr says why don’t the players agree to give up enough of their wages to cover the costs of the non playing staff that have been furloughed? It’s the hypocrisy that stinks more than anything.

Shocking attitude from the players and their union,greedy and a downright kick in the teeth to all essential workers especially the NHS,who are in the frontline in this chaos. And when all this is over,prices will creep up,and guess who will have to pay most of the increases,yes us fans. It's been said before,top players and earners don't live in the real world. They should be ashamed, just look what Ronaldo has offered,yes i know not all players own hotels,but he's at least trying to help.

This will end well.

source.gif

Come on mate....english football is a joke. I’ve no issue with a messi Ronaldo or any truly really good player getting massive cash...biggest game in the world and they’re the best...fine.
But the average guys are getting well over £1m a year....and dont even mention the leach agents.
So for your analogy compare de Niro with messi, but the average guys with the cast of eastenders.
These clubs paying these guys that type of money and claiming this furlough to pay a cleaner is obscene.
Hopefully things will change after this.

Is it too simple to suggest they could have agreed to a pay cut but insist the clubs donate what would have been the tax revenue?
Tax argument is bullsh1t. Some of them are claiming furlough from govt.
Also, if these clubs go bust means their suppliers dont get paid and there’s the big economic effect of that on normal companies and their employees.

When you think that NHS workers, carers, retail workers, transport workers and every other person working with the public putting their lives at risk (and some paying the ultimate price) these shameless bastards need to have a good long hard at themselves.

The people will not forget.
The people will forget all about this as soon the football restarts.

But many of these clubs are furloughing non playing staff thereby taking money out the government pot. As Senora Cuellsr says why don’t the players agree to give up enough of their wages to cover the costs of the non playing staff that have been furloughed? It’s the hypocrisy that stinks more than anything.
Could tax them and they could still make a sizeable donation ?

Oh how my heart bleeds for those poor wee dispossessed footballers, not!! My ex who is a senior scrub (theatre nurse) right at the front end of covid-19 and has to do permanent night shift to make just over two thirds of their average weekly wage in a year.

This woman is the ultimate professional who hasn’t missed a days work over the past six years. She suffers from asthma and still she risks her wellbeing for a relative pittance whilst these overpaid leeches use her and her colleagues as ‘bargaining chips’ to protect their obscene remuneration.

Back