EPL Players Reject 30% Paycut

My son has had to furlough his staff during this time, as his business can’t function at the moment. He and his wife are taking no salary, but paying their staff the extra 20% to make sure they have a wage. If small businesses are trying, then these greedy footballers need to do their bit too. They aren’t saving lives, ffs

Pretty sure a few players already mentioned this over the last few days. Hardly a shock.
If they take a cut, who does it save money for? Rich owners and clubs getting 100s of millions a year in TV, sponsorship etc

It benefits no one who actually needs the money now.
Furloughed staff for instance is being paid 80% from govt so if any of the clubs can’t afford 20% they should be investigated from top to bottom for FFP etc

If the proposal was take a 30% cut to go directly to NHS etc then I could see the reasoning behind the faux outrage on here. The fascination to get digs at what players make always makes me laugh. It’s jealousy.

This is all going to get seriously ugly.

Good.

The EPL bubble has well and truly burst. It’s going to be entertaining watching this all unfold now.
the football bubble has burst mate. in fact the whole world's economic bubble has burst. OR there is a unprecedented health crisis pandemic effecting every business in the world?!

the EPL bubble can only "burst" when the TV revenue goes down hill due to circumstances other than a world health crisis. completely wrong context. is the SPFL 'bubble' about to burst?

So they would rather see clubs go under. Greedy b@stards
players are annoyed that the cuts will benefit the owner's bank balance and the club's balance sheet, instead of saving the non-playing staff's jobs as they will likely be furloughed by the clubs. the greedy bastards of clubs are already donating money to the NHS and pay millions per year in tax that goes into the NHS.

Club goes under, free move elsewhere, big signing fee, bigger wages

Absolute thundercunts
many of the clubs in the EPL won't go under mate. any wage cut will just benefit billionaire owners. Dubai ruling family, Mike Ashley, Abramovich, the Glaziers, Kroenke, Fenway Sports Group etc etc - that's exactly who this will all benefit.

what people shouldn't also forget is a lot of the tories & their mates - for example Rees Mogg - who are either involved or run hedge funds that are actively betting against the current market volatility - are they taking 30% wage cuts and have they stopped funnelling their profits through the Cayman Islands?

Rooney is out in the Manchester evening news bleating about how its easy to pick on millionaire like him and its shit and people should leave them alone, over privileged ugly cu.nt.

the football bubble has burst mate. in fact the whole world's economic bubble has burst. OR there is a unprecedented health crisis pandemic effecting every business in the world?!

the EPL bubble can only "burst" when the TV revenue goes down hill due to circumstances other than a world health crisis. completely wrong context. is the SPFL 'bubble' about to burst?
If it has the potential to burst, it’s a bubble. It doesn’t matter what pin pricks it. In this case, it’s a pandemic.

Yes the football bubble has burst, as has many unsustainable highly leveraged industries such as airlines. No, the worlds economic bubble hasn’t burst - many companies and industries are making a killing out of this. Supermarkets, food suppliers, delivery companies, pharmaceuticals, video games, the pet industry, home fitness etc.

But elsewhere there very much was a bubble. Over the past decade low interest rates have allowed everyone to over-leverage on cheap debt, meaning a shock event like this can kill off companies in one swoop. That shouldn’t happen in a reasonable environment. Hence, we were in a bubble.

The tide has gone out and the people who were swimming naked are being exposed. Football is one of them.

Rooney is out in the Manchester evening news bleating about how its easy to pick on millionaire like him and its shit and people should leave them alone, over privileged ugly cu.nt.
i seen this so i thought i would google to see what he ACTUALLY said.

Rooney said: "If the government approached me to help support nurses financially or buy ventilators I'd be proud to do so – as long as I knew where the money was going.

"I'm in a position where I could give something up. Not every footballer is in the same position. Yet suddenly the whole profession has been put on the spot with a demand for 30 per cent pay cuts across the board.

"Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?"

"First the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, said that Premier League players should take a pay cut. He was supposed to be giving the nation the latest on the biggest crisis we've faced in our lifetimes.

"Why was the pay of footballers even in his head? Was he desperate to divert attention from his government’s handling of this pandemic?"

-----

all valid points mate? can you point me to quotes where Tory MP's are calling out hedge fund managers, stockbrokers, other sports stars - (F1, Tennis, Rugby) and Billionaire business owners (Branson asking for a bailout of his Virgin Atlantic spin off?!). why don't all MPs give 30% of all profits they make on consulting and their personal business activities?! something you will never see a Tory MP suggest

sorry, valid yes, , but do you not think a multi millionaire whining just a little hypocritical?
he wont have to deal with this like normal people!
i agree that all those in the top earning should maybe put hand in pocket during the crisis, someone has asked where's bono and sir bob pleading to help?

i just thought it more crass when someone with that money whines about it.

Pretty sure a few players already mentioned this over the last few days. Hardly a shock.
If they take a cut, who does it save money for? Rich owners and clubs getting 100s of millions a year in TV, sponsorship etc

It benefits no one who actually needs the money now.
Furloughed staff for instance is being paid 80% from govt so if any of the clubs can’t afford 20% they should be investigated from top to bottom for FFP etc

If the proposal was take a 30% cut to go directly to NHS etc then I could see the reasoning behind the faux outrage on here. The fascination to get digs at what players make always makes me laugh. It’s jealousy.
i agree with your points mate. why should the footballers take a 30% cut and it has to go directly to the NHS? they already pay taxes towards it and probably at a 40% tax rate. why should anyone other than the government and the British citizens on going tax and NI be used to prop up the NHS - this is the job of the government.

as we have seen with the manchester united players, if they want to voluntarily donate 30% of their wages to a fund then that is excellent.

there will be loads of players in the EPL at the lower end of the wage scale who are well entitled to keep all the money they earn in return for their hard work. Arfield was recently an EPL player and he doesn't strike me as some multi-millionaire - he will need his money to help feed his family between the age of 38 - 80 years old once he retires.

sorry, valid yes, , but do you not think a multi millionaire whining just a little hypocritical?
he wont have to deal with this like normal people!
i agree that all those in the top earning should maybe put hand in pocket during the crisis, someone has asked where's bono and sir bob pleading to help?

i just thought it more crass when someone with that money whines about it.
i would normally agree but don't think he is whining, just fighting the corner of footballers. i think it's part of his new weekly column with the times

i agree with your points mate. why should the footballers take a 30% cut and it has to go directly to the NHS? they already pay taxes towards it and probably at a 40% tax rate. why should anyone other than the government and the British citizens on going tax and NI be used to prop up the NHS - this is the job of the government.

as we have seen with the manchester united players, if they want to voluntarily donate 30% of their wages to a fund then that is excellent.

there will be loads of players in the EPL at the lower end of the wage scale who are well entitled to keep all the money they earn in return for their hard work. Arfield was recently an EPL player and he doesn't strike me as some multi-millionaire - he will need his money to help feed his family between the age of 38 - 80 years old once he retires.

Any income they have over £150,000 (say £3,000 per week) is taxed at 45%, 46% in Scotland.

If they donate 30% to a fund it will be after the tax has been paid, so the Government won't lose out on that. If they take a pay cut the Government would lose the tax an NI.

Incredible to think that Man Utd’s wage bill is £6,500,000 a week just for players and they are already £500,000,000 in debt.

A fair few clubs are going to have to seriously downsize or sack players in the EPL. Owners might have been willing to service the debts or cover losses while the money poured in but without it I can’t see a lot of them hanging around if this is long term.

Even billionaires can’t cover millions in losses every single week for 5-6 months.

Any income they have over £150,000 (say £3,000 per week) is taxed at 45%, 46% in Scotland.

If they donate 30% to a fund it will be after the tax has been paid, so the Government won't lose out on that. If they take a pay cut the Government would lose the tax an NI.
i understand that, i'm asking why people all of a sudden want footballers to directly pay into the NHS, an organisation that will get the money it needs to deliver (you'd hope).

i understand that, i'm asking why people all of a sudden want footballers to directly pay into the NHS, an organisation that will get the money it needs to deliver (you'd hope).

I wasn't arguing with you.

If anything I was actually reinforcing your point.

People are really touchy on here.

all valid points mate? can you point me to quotes where Tory MP's are calling out hedge fund managers, stockbrokers, other sports stars - (F1, Tennis, Rugby) and Billionaire business owners (Branson asking for a bailout of his Virgin Atlantic spin off?!). why don't all MPs give 30% of all profits they make on consulting and their personal business activities?! something you will never see a Tory MP suggest

The public don't have the same relationship with those you mention; it's a rather different dynamic with football and players. 'It's the people's game' we're told. They 'represent us and are just like us'.

We know the game has changed and moved beyond the supporter (at least in the upper levels). It's hard to give up the nostalgia and sentiment, though.

Many people's lives and memories surround football. It's not a surprise then that players come under more scrutiny.

Players could lead. It's fine if they don't. But I truly hope that we no longer have talk of loyalty and what the fans/club mean etc.

Selfish, greedy bastards.

The deduction could be taken from their Net pay, meaning they would still pay Tax & NI so HMRC would not lose the revenue.

They deserve every bit of bile and venom which will shortly be heading their way. I hope (probably forlornly) that fans remember this when matches resume.

The public don't have the same relationship with those you mention; it's a rather different dynamic with football and players. 'It's the people's game' we're told. They 'represent us and are just like us'.

We know the game has changed and moved beyond the supporter (at least in the upper levels). It's hard to give up the nostalgia and sentiment, though.

Many people's lives and memories surround football. It's not a surprise then that players come under more scrutiny.

Players could lead. It's fine if they don't. But I truly hope that we no longer have talk of loyalty and what the fans/club mean etc.
I agree with your points, however the players arguement is that if they take a paycut, it's not the supporters who will benefit, it is the billionaire owners.

Selfish, greedy bastards.

The deduction could be taken from their Net pay, meaning they would still pay Tax & NI so HMRC would not lose the revenue.

They deserve every bit of bile and venom which will shortly be heading their way. I hope (probably forlornly) that fans remember this when matches resume.
The players want to take a paycut. What they dont want to happen is for them to take a paycut, the club furloughs the non playing staff (therefore take payment from the government) and the owners are the only beneficiaries of the deal. I'm sure if a clubs future depended on it they would take the cut (I think this is what the leeds players have done, including the top executives). Would you take a paycut if you knew it was only going to benefit the personal wealth of the owner?

I agree with your points, however the players arguement is that if they take a paycut, it's not the supporters who will benefit, it is the billionaire owners.

Unless the club is heading towards serious problems, which it appears a few are. Perhaps rather than a blanket pay cut, individual clubs should address it with their playing staff.

When there is such a crisis and significant job losses nationally, I think it brings football into starker focus. We say, wait a minute - these players are earning what!?

The sport can't have it all ways. It can't demand all of the attention for the good and not accept the scrutiny in the hard times.

Unless the club is heading towards serious problems, which it appears a few are. Perhaps rather than a blanket pay cut, individual clubs should address it with their playing staff.

When there is such a crisis and significant job losses nationally, I think it brings football into starker focus. We say, wait a minute - these players are earning what!?

The sport can't have it all ways. It can't demand all of the attention for the good and not accept the scrutiny in the hard times.
It's the market rate, if anything blame sky and the rest of the world for capitalism. It's no different to stockbrokers and bankers in London. Footballers put the work in their whole life and dedicate themselves to the sport week in week out, they deserve any wage they are offered.

Now there’s a surprise... not!

TBH, if they made it players earning over certain amount (say £100,000) it might have gone through. Many of the journeymen are probably worried it could dent their retirement, especially if it’s on going. It’s the top earners that need to take a look at themselves. In fact, they should have had the moral decency to volunteer to take a cut. A 30% loss in wages to them still means they take home more in a week than most of us do in a year.

That’s before you consider they could easily end up putting the club that gave them such riches could go in the toilet if they need to keep paying them. I imagine many clubs have insurance but I don’t know if it will cover this

What a bunch of absolute cunts.

Trying to say they’re doing it for the NHS is absolutely embarrassing as well.

Doing it for no one other than their own bank balances. Pricks.

The players want to take a paycut. What they dont want to happen is for them to take a paycut, the club furloughs the non playing staff (therefore take payment from the government) and the owners are the only beneficiaries of the deal. I'm sure if a clubs future depended on it they would take the cut (I think this is what the leeds players have done, including the top executives). Would you take a paycut if you knew it was only going to benefit the personal wealth of the owner?
So why don’t they simply authorise the deduction from their pay provided it is held by the club in a fund to be distributed to beneficiaries to be defined by, say, the PFA?

This isn’t difficult. It is being made to look difficult by the greed of players who don’t want to give up a portion of their mind-boggling salaries.

It's the market rate, if anything blame sky and the rest of the world for capitalism. It's no different to stockbrokers and bankers in London. Footballers put the work in their whole life and dedicate themselves to the sport week in week out, they deserve any wage they are offered.

I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm simply noting that the relationship between player and fan is very different to the other examples you're offering. Given that, it's only natural there will be closer scrutiny especially when we often see clubs/players as representatives of the community.

More than a club? Obviously not.

Many have said for years that the bubble will burst down south with the money involved. I never saw this coming although the impact could be huge.

I can't believe most Premier League clubs don't have reserves to get them through a few months without new income. I am fairly certain that the clubs that actually do have reserves will be holding them in some manner that avoids tax. If they are playing player wages, I am presuming that these are taxed and that therefore more tax is going to be collected by clubs continuing to pay wages than any other measures. Which parts of my thinking here are demonstrably wrong?

£200m in tax per the PFA?

Yeah I’d like to see the workings there. Seems a ridiculous number for a temporary cut of that level.

And that is based on a 30% cut. That means the taxes and NICs on the whole wage bill is around £660m. Now, if each player is paying an average of around 45/46% in tax and NICs, then that amounts to a total salary cost of around £1.2 billion.With 20 clubs in the EPL that's an average of £60 million per club. Some will be more, some less. That's an average of around £2/2.5 million per player depending on squad sizes. Again some will be a lot more, some a lot less. Not bad, though!

Makes NHS wages look a bit paltry.

How much work are these guys doing to get 100% of their wages ?
What do they get if their club goes bust?

This was never about money going directly to the NHS or such. I thought the whole point of them being asked to take pay cuts was so that all the non playing staff could be kept on at full wage and therefore prevent the need for any of the clubs to furlough anyone, EPL clubs were getting major stick last week for relying on the govt bail out.

I do agree though that there always seems to be strange desire to attack pro football players as though they're the only people in privileged positions.

From the outside it looks like a shit move from the players but when you see the tax that’s involved, they shouldn’t take if off their wages, and donate a % after tax so the money the nhs is actually due from the tax isn’t affected but their still getting a donation.

Some of these players who have refused the 30% cut on their huge wages, will soon be getting 100% of nothing when their club goes under. As will the remainder of the staff. Shameful, and very poor PR.

This is all going to get seriously ugly.

Good.

The EPL bubble has well and truly burst. It’s going to be entertaining watching this all unfold now.
I've just said exactly the same on another thread. It has been unsustainable at this level for years.

Bunch of entitled (unts.

I work constant nights for the NHS (albeit not frontline thankfully) and I have now worked 50 of the past 58 nights. At the end of the year, I will have earned less than half of the average weekly salary of these out of touch arseholes, and that includes my 37% shift allowance.

Hope they all have a rude awakening coming to them soon.

I think the anger is aimed at the wrong people here. A club placing minimum wage staff on furlough is a fucking disgrace given the fraction of their turnover involved. The clubs have milked the cow for a couple of decades now and completely lost what it is to be a sporting institution. They agree astronomical wages for players, many average players, and are happy to drink from the trough. If they want the golden goose to be there for them, then immediately turn to the lowest paid, taking government cash from you and I to lay them off, they deserve to lose their assets for nothing because they cannot pay them and I have absolutely zero sympathy with any English club that is operating so far above their natural position through the false finance offered by Sky etc if their players demand their full salary and walk if they do not get it.

Back