Eric Cantona

Pvt. Hudson

Was he really as good as people made him out to be?

Personally I thought he wasn’t that great a player. He scored some amazing goals while he was at Man U and one that comes to mind was the chip over the Sheffield Utd keeper then the turn round celebration. That always annoyed me as I hated Man U.

He had a screw loose and nobody will ever forget that night at Selhurst Park when he kungfoo’d that guy. What the feck was the seagulls chasing the trawlers crap all about?

One thing for sure is that John Brown had him in his pocket that night at Elland Road and let him out briefly for their goal.

He wasn’t that good was he?

Personally I thought he wasn’t that great a player. He scored some amazing goals while he was at Man U and one that comes to mind was the chip over the Sheffield Utd keeper then the turn round celebration. That always annoyed me as I hated Man U.

He had a screw loose and nobody will ever forget that night at Selhurst Park when he kungfoo’d that guy. What the feck was the seagulls chasing the trawlers crap all about?

One thing for sure is that John Brown had him in his pocket that night at Elland Road and let him out briefly for their goal.

I share your opinion of Cantona which is based on the games he played against us in which he was not very successful. I would say, however, that he did seem to make an enormous difference to Man U after he signed from Leeds and their supporters genuinely idolised him.

Is his record in England not like, won the league every season except the season he got suspended for fly kick against palace

He was a superb footballer. Yes we had the Sky live games back then when at Utd but it wasn't like now when you get to see many more games per season meaning you were more reliant on MOTD highlights which I recall was sometimes only a few EPL matches in the early days of the league (as it is now) as Sportscene was also on the Saturday night.

The letter SAF sent him on retiring shows you how much he regarded him as a great player.

Don’t think you can say Bomber had him in his pocket, if not for Goram he would have hit a hat-trick that night.

To be fair we could have afforded Cantona at that time
You may have a point. Though with the English sides back in Europe the tide stsrted turning against us slowly at first and now its fucked up completely.

The only chance of a world star now is discovering them before they really make it huge.

Such a shame what money has done to football but it is what it is.

Cantona was great. Sent off at Ibrox i believe too :D

Yes, Cantona was an outstanding player and unlike many overseas players, he was a guy who played for the jersey at his clubs.

You may have a point. Though with the English sides back in Europe the tide stsrted turning against us slowly at first and now its fucked up completely.

The only chance of a world star now is discovering them before they really make it huge.

Such a shame what money has done to football but it is what it is.

Cantona was great. Sent off at Ibrox i believe too :D
He sure was.I may be wrong but I think it was an incident with Steven Pressley but my memory isn't as good as it once was.

Wonderful player, a combination of skill and self belief that gave him an air of arrogance that was totally justified. The 90s Souness for me. Loved watching him play the game.

The impact of Cantona at Man U wasn't just his performances on the park but the turning of heads towards the extra training and practising. Basically the class of 92 watched him and were totally inspired, watch the documentary.

I genuinely believe Stevie G and his staff could have a similar impact on our young players.

I think the Le Tissier comparison is slightly doing him an injustice, would have him more in the Bergkamp category myself

An incredible footballer - skilful, strong, absolutely mental and a soldier for his team.

The way that he inspired the youngsters at Manchester United to train & practice harder and longer as well, and they inspired a generation... He influenced a complete change in mentality in English/British football.

He was a great player but a young Steven Pressley had him in his hip pocket in a Makita Cup game at Ibrox, so much so that Cantona was sent off after coming on as sub.
Coincidentally, I was staying in the Moat House that night and the fire alarm went off at 4am and Cantona ended up standing beside me in the car park.

He wasn't the full shilling but by %^*& he was some player. He had skill and the gaul to pull of the amazing. Very good.

He had that good bit of nutter that it made it interesting to watch.

Also, how he's out of football he is still cool as %^*&.

2nd best player I've ever seen live after Zidane. I was at Brammall Lane when he scored that chip against Sheffield United in 1995, I'd never seen anything like it. He had the swagger, the skills, the charisma, unbelievable player.

Eric Cantona was shite at football.

I might not have read a more stupid post on this forum.....and that's saying something

He was the sort of footballer who made his teammates better. Incredible technique and wonderful vision for movement.

Ferguson got him and tolerated the 'uniqueness' because he knew that Cantona was the key to lifting that team to the next level.

Is his record in England not like, won the league every season except the season he got suspended for fly kick against palace

Correct - 5 titles in 6 years with the exception of the ‘king-fu’ season.

What’s impressive is that United were languishing well off the pace before he arrived his first season and having signed in November, he didn’t make his debut until December. When he came back in October 1995, after 8 months out, he had struggled for form and United ended up at least 10 points behind Newcastle. I think many had doubted SAF’s decision to persevere with him. But as the great manager he was, he knew a fully fit Cantona could raise the level of this young team. The decision was vindicated.

Shame he retired at 30.

Incredible to think how young he was when he retired. Think he'd just had enough by then. What a cracking player though. One of THE very best and the missing piece for that Man Utd team at the time. He had his demons of course and did so long before he went to Leeds. That's probably what made him the genius he undoubtedly was. S.A.F. obviously managed him completely differently from any of his other players because he knew he was the key to everything. I'm sure Cantona was never on the receiving end of the hair dryer let's put it that way .

Back