Escape to Victory:. The Ipswich players who made a cult classic

imagine a club manager, especially a top club which Ipswich were at the time, saying to their players that they were free to go and film a football game, these days!

I have a Toffs Escape to Victory shirt signed by Pele waiting for me at my Mum's in the UK if I can ever get back to frame it and bring it back in the car with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch it every time it’s on.on a bit of rangers related trivia.i read that in one of the bigger pow camps they had a football competition with teams split into British club teams and Rangers won the competition
Never heard that tale before, brilliant!.

Good read, thanks!

My father was in Stalag 9c Bad Sulza & for some strange reason they were not allowed to play football there. I have a pictures of playing in a hockey/shinty team tho. Strange they allowed sticks but not a ball!

I met John Wark in the now gone Bay Horse in Bath Street.
His cousins were locals in the pub.
Honestly such a nice unassuming guy who was loving being in the company of his family.

I remember reading the story in the article of Stallone trying his best to ruin it by insisting he scored the winning goal!

When he was persuaded that it was a ridiculous suggestion since he was the goalie he was allowed to save the penalty instead, to feed his ego.

And one of the head Nazi’s went on to play Ming the merciless in Flash Gordon.
That’s me out of pointless trivia on that classic movie :))

On ITV4 at 6.40pm today.
I remember reading the story in the article of Stallone trying his best to ruin it by insisting he scored the winning goal!

When he was persuaded that it was a ridiculous suggestion since he was the goalie he was allowed to save the penalty instead, to feed his ego.

And one of the head Nazi’s went on to play Ming the merciless in Flash Gordon.
That’s me out of pointless trivia on that classic movie :))
Max Von Sydow.

I got Kevin O'Callaghan as a pointless answer when Escape To Victory cast was one of the categories for the jackpot round. He was the goalkeeper who has his arm broken so Stallone can play in the match.

Good read.

If you are a certain age born in the early 70s or so, like me, this film is ingrained in your social psyche with mates. Cheesy, but all good clean fun.

One of those films that when you flick on the TV and it's on, you don't turn off. Love it.

4-1 down at half time, the escape tunnel is ready for them to go through and escape from being POWs and then the immortal line “but we can win this” - utter toss!

And of course, Pele with the amazing overhead kick, but Stallone had to be the star, so they add in a penalty save.

Back