ESPN+ acquires Scottish Premiership rights for next 5 years

Probably the way I will go, given the month to month option for RTV Unlimited appears to be gone for good.

When did that change happen? I’ve been in the US for a year and still pay monthly. Either way, if you’re a bear living a broad, this is the best way to keep supporting the club.

Foxtel in Oz already provide an ESPN channel and there are some live games Foxtel via Bein and a highlights program which is pretty shit. Don't think this will add any content over here as it will be select games they will show on ESPN which are already available.
Like some others have said and given many kick off times are at silly o'clock over here RTV is the best option for most of us.

The club have ambitions to grow as large as we can world wide and the only way to achieve this is being shown in as many countries as possible no offence to the supporters clubs all over the world but if we can get on tv in any country for the masses to watch it needs to be done and same for RTV taking a hit from a smaller amount of overseas subscriptions to reach a larger audience will be more beneficial long term just ask the EPL clubs what is possible when you get shown in every country in the world

Not willing to pay $300+ up front during mass unemployment and a pandemic = not a true bear :))
Apparently your financial situation during a pandemic dictates whether you are a 'true bear' or not.
Some folk live in their own wee world.

Good news. That's ESPN+ got German , Swedish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, MLS, Chinese, Australian, Mexican and Scottish leagues all for a $49.99 annual subscription.
How do you sign up?
I’d be going on a short holiday to watch.

Last edited:
RangersTV is the way to go for tomorrow. In fact it’s ALWAYS the way to go for overseas Bears.

More details of the ESPN deal and costs :

Superb.

ssssh.. also I’m thinking the rsc’s you were at were private clubs.. clubs that meet in bars with liquor licences would not be serving at 0600hrs... of which there are many
In addition early starts in clubs require staff to be paid for turning up early. Previously visitors who were not accustomed to the North American custom of tipping bar staff meant that staff were reluctant to turn up for early kick offs. Don't know if that is still the case. You can knock off 7 hours from KO time for clubs on the west coast. Winter driving conditions in provinces like Ontario can have an effect on club attendance.

Bottom line is, if you want to see every Rangers game bar Europa League group stages, then RangersTV is the only way to do it without resorting to illegal streams.

At best, this ESPN+ deal will give you away games in the League and, perhaps, the odd League Cup away game - basically whatever Sky choose to cover.

Bottom line is, if you want to see every Rangers game bar Europa League group stages, then RangersTV is the only way to do it without resorting to illegal streams.

At best, this ESPN+ deal will give you away games in the League and, perhaps, the odd League Cup away game - basically whatever Sky choose to cover.
But its basically the same anywhere worlwide where the SPFL is sold (granted their marketing of the product is pathetic). Games shown on Sky, Premier, etc, are shown here in Croatia and elsewhere in Europe, Middle East through varied subscription service providers (albeit they havent secured a deal here yet!).

Realistically buying a package from a subscription service will get you all away games, 2 OF home games and a couple post split games, and some SC and LC. So you are really paying rtv for 15 home games, plus rtv content. Subscribing to my sports channels here (there are close to 20 now that show almost all Euro leagues and other International leagues, NHL, NBA, F1, MLB, GP, just about everything) costs me £10 a month.

I personally am happy to pay £9.99 a home game rather than fork out £240 for an annual as it stands. So basically £150 a year as I would be subscribing to the other sports regardless.

If anyone has subscribed and set up while on a short holiday from the UK, if you could please share details etc.

Will set this up next week when back from holiday.

Im a bit annoyed at this tbh. This is a league decision that could adversely affect the club. Will the club make more from this than it would PPV?

Im a bit annoyed at this tbh. This is a league decision that could adversely affect the club. Will the club make more from this than it would PPV?
Rangers have no say in it as such. The SPFL have the rights to market the league as they see fit. The wee clubs would never vote to change that. Rangers can only market friendly games and I believe the Europa League qualifiers (which Premier have bought from the Club for the next game).

But its basically the same anywhere worlwide where the SPFL is sold (granted their marketing of the product is pathetic). Games shown on Sky, Premier, etc, are shown here in Croatia and elsewhere in Europe, Middle East through varied subscription service providers (albeit they havent secured a deal here yet!).

Realistically buying a package from a subscription service will get you all away games, 2 OF home games and a couple post split games, and some SC and LC. So you are really paying rtv for 15 home games, plus rtv content. Subscribing to my sports channels here (there are close to 20 now that show almost all Euro leagues and other International leagues, NHL, NBA, F1, MLB, GP, just about everything) costs me £10 a month.

I personally am happy to pay £9.99 a home game rather than fork out £240 for an annual as it stands. So basically £150 a year as I would be subscribing to the other sports regardless.

I think you downplay it, though some would argue only slightly. Depends on progress in cup matches I guess. Hopefully, 4 x EL qualifiers plus any/all League Cup and Scottish Cup matches excluding semis and finals which the subscription channels will screen. Could be another 10 games at best I think. The 'blurb' on the link posted hints the ESPN+ coverage might include League Cup (but isn't certain) and makes no mention of Scottish Cup coverage, which I think is Premier?

I think you downplay it, though some would argue only slightly. Depends on progress in cup matches I guess. Hopefully, 4 x EL qualifiers plus any/all League Cup and Scottish Cup matches excluding semis and finals which the subscription channels will screen. Could be another 10 games at best I think. The 'blurb' on the link posted hints the ESPN+ coverage might include League Cup (but isn't certain) and makes no mention of Scottish Cup coverage, which I think is Premier?
Hopefully not 4 EL qualifiers as we start in round 2 unless Q4 is two legged, thought that was only CL;)

Last season RTV provided 8 Europa qualifiers, 4 League Cup games and 3 Scottish Cup, as well as pre-season/winter break friendlies. This is in addition to all League games.

It was exceptional value for money. I appreciate the increase for this season may be prohibitive for some, though.

ESPN+ is a great service. $50 for the year is excellent.

Last season RTV provided 8 Europa qualifiers, 4 League Cup games and 3 Scottish Cup, as well as pre-season/winter break friendlies. This is in addition to all League games.

It was exceptional value for money. I appreciate the increase for this season may be prohibitive for some, though.

ESPN+ is a great service. $50 for the year is excellent.

We need the monthly Unlimited option back for any new subscribers. Sadly, I can't see that happening until fans are back at Ibrox (purely guesswork on my part).

If you are paying $5 a month for ESPN+ and also buying 2 home games on PPV at £9.99 each then it comes to around what the monthly Unlimited was costing at £24pm. Most months you'd need to be buying more than 2 home games so RangersTV then becomes the better option.

We need the monthly Unlimited option back for any new subscribers. Sadly, I can't see that happening until fans are back at Ibrox (purely guesswork on my part).

I understand the marketing reasons but there should be monthly option for overseas subscribers. Do you recall the price previously? Now it would have to be at least $25-30 per month.

I understand the marketing reasons but there should be monthly option for overseas subscribers. Do you recall the price previously? Now it would have to be at least $25-30 per month.

Our posts crossed mate. Used to be (and still is for Legacy subscribers) £17.25pm. For new subscribers since February that went up to £24pm. Now the monthly option isn't available at all. Call it $32 per month if it was available. The cost of ESPN+ and then PPV for two games takes you to that figure so the RangersTV subscription becomes more attractive.

Maybe this news will prompt them to offer it again. I hope so.

It costs me $20 Cdn to watch RTV each week. As a pensioner, that is a lot so, ESPN sounds good to me from a financial point of view. I will contribute to The Rangers in another way.

Depends if there any geographical restrictions i.e blocked in the USA

If not then it won't make much difference

Without the agreement from the SPFL and Scottish FA then showing games to overseas wouldn't be possible to begin with on Rangers TV

Last edited:
Our posts crossed mate. Used to be (and still is for Legacy subscribers) £17.25pm. For new subscribers since February that went up to £24pm. Now the monthly option isn't available at all. Call it $32 per month if it was available. The cost of ESPN+ and then PPV for two games takes you to that figure so the RangersTV subscription becomes more attractive.

Maybe this news will prompt them to offer it again. I hope so.

We have 6 Leagues games scheduled in December and 5 in January. Several will be on ESPN but not all. It'll be pricey buying individually.

The more options, the better. Hope to see it return.

This is for outside the UK, I assume? ESPN here is tangled with BT, not sure I can stomach Sutton and Craigan’s punditry again

Is ESPN+ available in Canada?
Only with a VPN seemingly. I use a satellite so don't have the cable channel it is on. I can get a VPN for the US at a cost of 8.50 a month Cdn + the cost of ESPN which is about $5 so, $13.50 a month as compared to $20. and I can get all the rest of espn +UK with the VPN. Now all I have to do is convert the time difference to Fahrenheit in new money and I am away.

Only with a VPN seemingly. I use a satellite so don't have the cable channel it is on. I can get a VPN for the US at a cost of 8.50 a month Cdn + the cost of ESPN which is about $5 so, $13.50 a month as compared to $20. and I can get all the rest of espn +UK with the VPN. Now all I have to do is convert the time difference to Fahrenheit in new money and I am away.
Bear in mind it’s only the games that are on Sky. 1-2 Rangers games a Month typically.

RTV doesn’t have the EL group stages? Welp.

Scottish Premier League has finally turned up on ESPN+, yesterday's game is there On Demand so guess it was live.

Nothing listed for next week yet, but the upcoming games list only goes up to next saturday night.

Paid the tenner to watch it on RTV only for my neighbor to then tell me he was watching on ESPN+!
I checked on Friday and it wasn’t listed. Rather annoying but at least the cash went straight to the club.

Paid the tenner to watch it on RTV only for my neighbor to then tell me he was watching on ESPN+!
I checked on Friday and it wasn’t listed. Rather annoying but at least the cash went straight to the club.

Same for me. Wasnt til last night I was flicking about ESPN+ and thought "wonder if SPL has turned up yet?"

Still nothing listed for next weekend, but guessing their game will turn up since it's on sky.

Back