ESPN+ acquires Scottish Premiership rights for next 5 years

Not good news for NARSA Clubs they will take a hit on this deal.
Which has always been the paradox. To increase the Rangers brand in North America, there needs to be a wider, cheaper, easier to access exposure. Doing that makes NARSA obsolete. But if commercially the ESPN deal is a flop, what then if NARSA is no more.

Actually if the NARSA club is anything like I’m in whether it’s on TV or on RTV - people still like to socialize with like minded people.

It’s the people who generally only turn up for bigger games this will likely effect. Won’t be the same at every NARSA club but it will be the case for many.

I could easily laze in the morning drinking cheap beer and watching the game at home but it’s just not the same as turning up to a club and disagreeing about tavernier/shooting from distance etc.

It shouldnt affect NARSA too much. When the games were on 20 odd years ago the clubs were still busy.
They might lose out on folk traveling through their based cities.

Exposure could be good BUT this deal could cost the improving Rangers Tv money. These deals fall way outwith groundrules of the domestic sky deal and should be leveraged to include our typical overseas sales. We will be on the majority of the games after all.

Can this be subscribed to as ‘visitor’ online for example ?

Questions arise.
How does this affect RTV?
Do ESPN have exclusive rights, thus meaning Bears in the US will be blocked from RTV live matches?
Will RTV have to ‘buy’ the matches from ESPN?

Do we still have to pay the SPFL for overseas matches shown on RTV?

Actually if the NARSA club is anything like I’m in whether it’s on TV or on RTV - people still like to socialize with like minded people.

It’s the people who generally only turn up for bigger games this will likely effect. Won’t be the same at every NARSA club but it will be the case for many.

I could easily laze in the morning drinking cheap beer and watching the game at home but it’s just not the same as turning up to a club and disagreeing about tavernier/shooting from distance etc.

imo what really hurts NARSA Clubs is when the KO back home is early ie. 1230hrs and the match could be seen on local tv. far easier to flop on the couch and watch (guilty).. also the clubs can’t serve that early in the day...

fantastic news, do we know if it will be up and running for tomorrow?

RangersTV is the way to go for tomorrow. In fact it’s ALWAYS the way to go for overseas Bears.

More details of the ESPN deal and costs :

I’d really like to see us heavily promote RangersTV not just for foreign supporters but also domestic. Maybe we can be a wee bit cheeky announce a VPN sponsor, promoting safe and secure browsing, around the same time as we are running a promotional campaign for RangersTV. :p

imo what really hurts NARSA Clubs is when the KO back home is early ie. 1230hrs and the match could be seen on local tv. far easier to flop on the couch and watch (guilty).. also the clubs can’t serve that early in the day...

Really depends on the province or state for the booze - as you go further west it becomes harder in Canada - the states not so much.

with some members no booze is a benefit

I pay RTV 10$ a month ,I also pay them 10$ to see a game if the weather here is miserable. On top of that I pay my club 300$ a year to watch the games here at our club. Which I prefer to do ,I can watch the games with my Rangers supporting friends, and have a glass of wine while watching. All good.
The numbers are relative not totally accurate.

RangersTV is the way to go for tomorrow. In fact it’s ALWAYS the way to go for overseas Bears.
Are we not staunch if we don't always go that way?
Pay per game = $12/13 for each game.
ESPN+ is $4.99 a month.
I'll watch the Rangers games that are on that, and pay as I go with RTV for the others.

Makes me no less of a supporter Mr Staunch.

as a season ticket holder, i get the home games on rtv. i used to subscribe to the £17 a month option, but i couldn't stomach it over lockdown and then i certainly wasn't reupping it (@£22 a month) when i'm already getting half the games. i'm absolutely not giving sky any money, so this is a genuine godsend. i imagine it'll maybe only be the sky games shown anyway.

Are we not staunch if we don't always go that way?
Pay per game = $12/13 for each game.
ESPN+ is $4.99 a month.
I'll watch the Rangers games that are on that, and pay as I go with RTV for the others.

Makes me no less of a supporter Mr Staunch.

Obviously up to you who you give your money to - and good to see some will go to the Club. If we play 6 games in a month though, it’s likely that only 3 will be on ESPN. So you end up paying your $5 plus another $39 for the other three on PPV. Is that not going to work out more than an Unlimited subscription? At 4 games a month with 2 on ESPN then it’s $5 plus $26 for the PPV. Throw in a few Scottish and League Cup games as well I guess plus Europa qualifiers. Assuming you want to watch all the games that is.

Can‘t be arsed doing the maths over a season but is it going to be noticeably cheaper?

Was there really a need to take the ‘Mr Staunch’ line? Unnecessary IMHO.

Last edited:
Nonsense, Ive been a guest in several RSC's over here and its rare that you cant get a drink, even for the 6am kick offs.
ssssh.. also I’m thinking the rsc’s you were at were private clubs.. clubs that meet in bars with liquor licences would not be serving at 0600hrs... of which there are many

Last edited:
ssssh.. also I’m thinking the rsc’s you were at were private clubs.. clubs that meet in bars with liquor licences would not be serving at 0600hrs... of which there are many
I'm sure its a factor, but it's not accurate to state that as an absolute. I know of several RSCs operating in public bars that will sell alcohol at that time ;)

Obviously up to you who you give your money to - and good to see some will go to the Club. If we play 6 games in a month though, it’s likely that only 3 will be on ESPN. So you end up paying your $5 plus another $39 for the other three on PPV. Is that not going to work out more than an Unlimited subscription? At 4 games a month with 2 on ESPN then it’s $5 plus $26 for the PPV. Throw in a few Scottish and League Cup games as well I guess plus Europa qualifiers. Assuming you want to watch all the games that is.

Can‘t be arsed doing the maths over a season but is it going to be noticeably cheaper?

Was there really a need to take the ‘Mr Staunch’ line? Unnecessary IMHO.
Youve told everyone overseas Bear that they ALWAYS have to buy via RTV. So yeah, staunch away Mr Staunch.

Back