Euro 2020 Euro 2020 thread

Schools should let the kids away at 2:45, they are watching the first half in class and the letting them away at that time would let them see all the second half.

Wee brothers buzzing for it.
Don't know if they would do it now, but my dad said when Scotland played Italy in 65 to get into the World Cup the match was during the day so the schools and factories put it on the radio over the tannoy otherwise people wouldn't have turned up.

Scotland v Brazil '98 kicked off at 3.30 if I remember correctly.

We also had a game away at Parma in 98 that kicked off early and I got caught dogging it to watch it.
Only place in NY to watch that was in some small Italian cafe without a liquor license and the match kicked off at like 8am or something. My dad and a few of the guys went planning to turn up to their work a little bit late. None of the Italians there spoke any English, but there wasn't a problem with any of them. At some point the guy behind the counter brought out some grappa and needless to say no one made it to work that day. At least that is what I have been informed by my dad as I was barely 2 at the time.

The official euro song will have the beasts from the east up in arms again Haha.
Bono and the Edge with a song called WE ARE THE PEOPLE.
Couldn't make it up! :))
What a year!

The official euro song will have the beasts from the east up in arms again Haha.
Bono and the Edge with a song called WE ARE THE PEOPLE.
Couldn't make it up! :))
What a year!

The song's alright.

But - and I know this sounds really cheesy - there's nothing quite like a big football tournament to unite people. Folks all over Europe and the World will be tuning in to cheer on their team.

Crazy seeing Highlights of Euro 2004 and how big a star Ronaldo was even then.

I can’t think of anyone else from 2004 who will be playing in this tournament

Scotland v Brazil '98 kicked off at 3.30 if I remember correctly.

We also had a game away at Parma in 98 that kicked off early and I got caught dogging it to watch it.
that game brings back memories, I arrived late after lunch for school because I watched the first 30 minutes of the game and big Jorg scored so we were leading. No phones or anything in those days so I was hoping we'd hold on to the lead and get through. Came home, put the teletext on and my heart sunk, 3 goals for Parma and a sending off for Porrini :(

I think the other Parma game (the away leg) was on Ch5 at 8pm or later wasn't it? the one we won 2-1 on aggregate after THAT game at Ibrox

Put me in the 'complete nutter' category, but I think France could go out in the first round.

Here's my completely flawed prediction, that doesn't hold up well to any scrutiny, logic or any sort of common sense.
  • France's first game is away at the Allianz in Bavaria against Germany. The German national team have stumbled, almost by complete accident, on a really effective formation for the players they have - A 3-4-1-2. Rudiger, Hummels and Ginter controlling the defence, Kroos and Gundogan/Goretzka controlling the midfield like Chelsea in the Champions League final, Kimmich and Gosens controlling the wide areas, Muller in the hole and a combination of Havertz & Gnabry/Werner/Sane stretching the team.
  • France's second game is away in Budapest against Hungary. With a crowd behind them and a recent record that shows that they are incredibly hard to beat on home turf, they are going to be a banana skin against one of the teams in the 'Group of Death'. I get the feeling that it's this fixture where they shithouse their way to a draw.
  • France's final game is a repeat of the 2016 final in what could be a do-or-die game. There really isn't much between the Portuguese and French squads. However, I think Portugal at this point will have enough in the bank to only need a draw whilst France need a win. Pressure buckles them, Portugal sit in and hit France on the counter and nick a draw.
France get two points and go out.

Bedlam.

Late to this thread

France v Italy final, France win
England wont get to the Semis
Benzema top scorer
Scotland to make history and get out of the group

Croatia will be knocked out early, Ukraine, Turkey and the Scandinavian teams will all put on a decent showing, surprising a few.

Put me in the 'complete nutter' category, but I think France could go out in the first round.

Here's my completely flawed prediction, that doesn't hold up well to any scrutiny, logic or any sort of common sense.
  • France's first game is away at the Allianz in Bavaria against Germany. The German national team have stumbled, almost by complete accident, on a really effective formation for the players they have - A 3-4-1-2. Rudiger, Hummels and Ginter controlling the defence, Kroos and Gundogan/Goretzka controlling the midfield like Chelsea in the Champions League final, Kimmich and Gosens controlling the wide areas, Muller in the hole and a combination of Havertz & Gnabry/Werner/Sane stretching the team.
  • France's second game is away in Budapest against Hungary. With a crowd behind them and a recent record that shows that they are incredibly hard to beat on home turf, they are going to be a banana skin against one of the teams in the 'Group of Death'. I get the feeling that it's this fixture where they shithouse their way to a draw.
  • France's final game is a repeat of the 2016 final in what could be a do-or-die game. There really isn't much between the Portuguese and French squads. However, I think Portugal at this point will have enough in the bank to only need a draw whilst France need a win. Pressure buckles them, Portugal sit in and hit France on the counter and nick a draw.

Bedlam.
I've been saying for days France are due a complete and utter implosion

So what’s going to happen if Ukraine ends up meeting Russia in the quarter finals?

Only place in NY to watch that was in some small Italian cafe without a liquor license and the match kicked off at like 8am or something. My dad and a few of the guys went planning to turn up to their work a little bit late. None of the Italians there spoke any English, but there wasn't a problem with any of them. At some point the guy behind the counter brought out some grappa and needless to say no one made it to work that day. At least that is what I have been informed by my dad as I was barely 2 at the time.
In the first parma trip I stayed in milan and was warned not to touch grappa. Red rag to a bull and I woke up in the hotel next morning with a rapping Santa claus toy.

I can well believe people not making their work.

I was looking in the main sports shop chain here (in Canada) checking out the Euro tops, too old to buy. Almost every was top there apart from Scotland. WTF is that all about? Is that an SFA dealership thing? Maybe Sportcheck Canada can't deal with whoever the SFA deal with?
Haven’t a clue mate, sorry!.

In the first parma trip I stayed in milan and was warned not to touch grappa. Red rag to a bull and I woke up in the hotel next morning with a rapping Santa claus toy.

I can well believe people not making their work.
I don't anything crazy happened but essentially the guy put a few bottles on the counter and said no one leaves until we finish these.

It’s Gvardiol they’re talking about replacing him with.
A few places unfortunately:

He appears to be a bit of a whipping boy tbh, the fact they rely on a 35 year old Luka Modric and absolutely nobody else stands out says it all but it’s all Bornas fault apparently. Really feel for him tbh some of the stuff I’ve seen said about him over the past few days. Hope he gets the nod of course.
He'll ping in a 30 yard free kick and then become one of their best players.

If we're talking favourite memories, one of mine is the Croatia/Turkey game from 2008. I'm probably mixing up times, dates and people but Nihat looked like an absolute world beater for a game or two.

I don't anything crazy happened but essentially the guy put a few bottles on the counter and said no one leaves until we finish these.
I've still got the Santa toy. Sings, jingle rap, jingle rap, jingle all the way. Pair of headphones and shades, even does it in english. They must have seen me coming.

I keep it as a warning about grappa.

Bedlam.
I agree, their task is much more difficult than most people are thinking and ?s remain over the Coach when the going gets going. They also have the individual ego problems which wont help if they get stuck.

Scotland won't be participating taking the knee. Actually didn't expect that from us.
I genuienly wouldnt be surprised Nippy has ordered them to do different than England does.
I also am a bit surprised but agree its highly likely done to simply not be seen as supporting something England are doing. Typical pathetic mentality.

As for the Knee Nonsense itself, it is very sad such a thing continues to be a forced part of Sport and will likely dominate the coverage as people do or dont, boo or not etc . All incredibly boring and pointless.

Also stuck £10 on Immobile top scorer @20/1

Free £3 bet each time he scores

Never really taken his club form to international level but hoping the fact he'll be mostly playing on his clubs pitch will help him.

I also am a bit surprised but agree its highly likely done to simply not be seen as supporting something England are doing. Typical pathetic mentality.

As for the Knee Nonsense itself, it is very sad such a thing continues to be a forced part of Sport and will likely dominate the coverage as people do or dont, boo or not etc . All incredibly boring and pointless.

The constant reporting over who does or doesn't, and who boo's is pathetic. Hungary saying the Republic of Ireland provoked them by doing it was hilarious though. Seems like it will be coming to an end now fans are coming back. If they want to do it one match a year or something I doubt people would mind as much.

You know I’d like to think the players have collectively decided not to take the knee...rather than being ordered not to by Nicola Sturgeon...

Jordan Henderson probably summed it up best when he said something along the lines of “the players are a bit bored of talking about it now”....

Much easier for players to take to the field and just do their job of playing a football match rather than being at the centre of a storm.
I think the vast majority of players in every side in the tournament would prefer it if this gesture just ‘went away’

Back