Euro 92. Scotland v Netherlands

ekbear

On the BBC Shortbread channel just now. Gough absolutely bossing Van Basten.

My memory was of Scotland playing really well in this game, losing a late goal to Bergkamp.

Rare sight of Duncan Ferguson in an international top. Jock Brown just said that was his first competitive international.

I'm sure this was the tournament where the SFA thought it was a good idea to number the players based on the amount of caps they won. I'm sure McCoist wore number five.

I'm sure this was the tournament where the SFA thought it was a good idea to number the players based on the amount of caps they won. I'm sure McCoist wore number five.

McStay 3

McKimmie 9

Last tournament also with the old pass back law where the keeper could pick the ball up. Changed to the current rule that summer.

If I recall, we played well against the Germans and were the better side in the opening 30 minutes - big Dave McPherson missing a great chance.

Can’t remember Big McPherson’s chance but from memory we started well and then Riedle scored roundabout the half hour. I think their second was a fluke. Effenberg hit a cross, Maurice Malpas stuck a leg out and the ball looped over Goram and that seemed to knock the stuffing out us. Also remember Gough having a nasty clash of heads with Guido Buchwald when we were trying to get back in it.

Can’t remember Big McPherson’s chance but from memory we started well and then Riedle scored roundabout the half hour. I think their second was a fluke. Effenberg hit a cross, Maurice Malpas stuck a leg out and the ball looped over Goram and that seemed to knock the stuffing out us. Also remember Gough having a nasty clash of heads with Guido Buchwald when we were trying to get back in it.

Brief highlights:

All very Scotland.

Was a great achievement just to qualify for the tournament as it was only 8 teams , 2 groups of 4 If I remember right ? I remember having a sense of pride in the national team giving a good account of themselves in Euro 92. Couldn’t give a toss now right enough.

England drew their opening two games 0-0 against Denmark and France, then lost 2-1 v Sweden. Turnip Taylor was in charge.

England drew their opening two games 0-0 against Denmark and France, then lost 2-1 v Sweden. Turnip Taylor was in charge.

"Brolin.....Dahlin.....Brolin" :D

remember that appearing on one of those football gaff videos you'd get at Christmas saying that Barry Davies was starting to sing a Dolly Parton song with the goal, obviously that would be "Jolene"

Seem to remember an incident between Stuart Pearce and Basile Boli.

Think Boli stuck the nut on him? It was the only highlight in an absolute bore fest between England and France.

EDIT: He did.:D

Back