Euro 96

Yes. On ITV now. Or we could’ve scored another one.

Remember at the time we had to win something like 3-0 and England 1-0. No one thought England would pump Holland like that.

Also thought Seaman deliberately let it in.

A 13 year old Braveheart and all that. Shame times have changed so much.

Yes. On ITV now. Or we could’ve scored another one.

Remember at the time we had to win something like 3-0 and England 1-0. No one thought England would pump Holland like that.

Also thought Seaman deliberately let it in.

A 13 year old Braveheart and all that. Shame times have changed so much.
Shearers reply when asked about Scotland was funny. Only seen them at 2 tournaments being 33. I supported at both as you said times change. Couldn't give a fcuk now

Actually watched the England v Holland highlights tonight to see if the Kluivert goal was as bad from Seaman as I remembered. Scotland were going through until Kluivert's goal. I think the Dutch went through on goals scored. Scotland and Holland had 4 points each, -1 goal difference, but Scotland scored 1 goal compared to Holland's 3 (I think)

Actually watched the England v Holland highlights tonight to see if the Kluivert goal was as bad from Seaman as I remembered. Scotland were going through until Kluivert's goal. I think the Dutch went through on goals scored. Scotland and Holland had 4 points each, -1 goal difference, but Scotland scored 1 goal compared to Holland's 3 (I think)
Super ally scored an absolute worldy against Switzerland.

I remember having to leave for work when it was 4-0 (worked night shift in supermarket round the corner). Headed off thinking it was all over and we were through.

Got into work and we were out. Gutted. 10hr night shift, with Scotland failure hanging over us all night.

Back in the days when it seemed to really matter to me, I guess. Hard to say that now.

Seaman let it in because he knew we should have done them at Wembley and didn't want to give us another chance. To think I was giving Gazza pelters after that goal (well disappointed undertones) and now meh!

I was going to Malta on holiday when we were playing Switzerland, and got called to board with the score at 1-0. During the flight the captain announces that Scotland won 2-0 and had qualified for the next stage. On the day of the match for the next stage I'm looking at blackboards outside of pubs advertising Netherlands v France.......thought they must be mistaken and was only when talking to other hotel guests that the truth became known. Could have killed that captain.

Scotland really should have scored at least another goal, we missed a good few decent chances.

Keeper had a couple of wondersaves from Ally in the first 10 minutes.

Scotland were "through" for 16 minutes between England getting the 4th in the 62nd minute and Holland pulling one back in the 78th.

David Seaman didn't deliberately let the Dutch score. Lets put that nonsense to bed.

He was a professional footballer, playing for his country in a home tournament. Hes not letting a goal in with roughly 15 minutes left, and he probably wouldn't know the score in the Scotland game anyway

Was at the Switzerland game ,great goal by Super and we thought we were going through until Kluivert scored .Been gutted many times as a Scotand fan as you become accustomed to it but that was a hard one to take

I was in the Main Stand at Villa Park, Ally McCoist had missed a few chances but I said to a Villa supporter sitting next to me "McCoist will probably score a cracker tonight after that", which he duly did. The Villa lad asked me how I'd known that I simply replied "I watch him every week, he always puts one away"
Was a decent fortnight for me, on a course in Coventry, travel and hotel on expenses, double time for my course and got to nip down to Birmingham for two Scotland games. Was the beginning of the end for me with Scotland after a bit of a verbal altercation in the Aston hotel with a couple of Aberdeen casuals. Oh aye and another one on a bus from the city centre with some tims ( this one was after Id absent mindedly sung "sad 19th Century Terrorist bastard" instead of "sad English bastard" :D )

That was some performance by England that night - absolutely blew the Dutch away.

Euro 96 was a tremendous tournament for me - some great football, lots of iconic moments and goals, great fun having it so close. Just wish I had arranged to go to a match or two.

The group stages were ok.

Knockout stages crap.

Similar to Italia 90 it is remembered fondly but was not a great tournament.

Remember sitting in the Regent shouting at the telly for the Dutch to hurry up and put us out of our misery

They duly obliged

“And the cherry on top was the goal Holland scored near the end, which sent them through and knocked Scotland out on goals scored. It’s not often an Englishman feels sorry for Scotland... and we weren’t going to start that night!”

Seaman on the game, he said he was more interested in revenge for the Holland 2-0 game (USA 94 qualifying, Koeman should have been sent off for pulling back an England player as last man and then went on to score a FK to put England out of it) then anything to do with putting us out, although he obviously didn't care which he shouldn't because Scotland should have put Switzerland away with the chances we missed

I was in the Main Stand at Villa Park, Ally McCoist had missed a few chances but I said to a Villa supporter sitting next to me "McCoist will probably score a cracker tonight after that", which he duly did. The Villa lad asked me how I'd known that I simply replied "I watch him every week, he always puts one away"
Was a decent fortnight for me, on a course in Coventry, travel and hotel on expenses, double time for my course and got to nip down to Birmingham for two Scotland games. Was the beginning of the end for me with Scotland after a bit of a verbal altercation in the Aston hotel with a couple of Aberdeen casuals. Oh aye and another one on a bus from the city centre with some tims ( this one was after Id absent mindedly sung "sad 19th Century Terrorist bastard" instead of "sad English bastard" :D )

I met Benny from 'crossroads' in a pub not far from Villa park before the game.

He's not really a big daft c.unt. :))

One thing I always remember of that tournament apart from the England and Scotland games was that a lot of the games had really crap attendances at them with rows of empty seats, for some reason that sticks in my head

"Always a bridge too far for Scotland," said Clive. Never a truer word of commentary spoken.

I got lifted on the day of the England game, bit too much alcohol, and spewed all over my mate's bed when I eventually got in. Happy days.

After Scotland got put out I was rooting for England because of Gazza. Was gutted when he never connected with that cross in the semis that would have put them into the final

we were at villa park that night, my mate got tickets through his work, the last Scotland game i attended, found out holland had scored when we were leaving the ground, headed back to a wee pub on the outskirts of the city centre we had been in during the day , and got a lock in until well into the next morning, was a decent couple of days we had down there ,

From what I remember, Goram was at his brilliant best against the Dutch - that game was 0-0 going on 8-0
It wasn’t, Goram made a couple of good saves and there was some last ditch defending but Scotland had good chances too and a draw wasn’t an unfair result.

The best save of the game was made by John Collins.

That England team was brilliant, if only it had got to the Final.
As good as they were, they weren't quite good enough to reach the final.

This man saw to that.

BOAVidw.jpg

Nah. Euro 2000 was a far better tournament.
It had goals so yeah, an improvement on Euro 96. I get the nostalgia for mid 90s but can't get my head round folk saying they enjoyed the football at the tournament. The knockout rounds were brutal

There was a feature in the Rangers News that year with an interview with a Switzerland and Grasshopper's player on Super Ally because he had scored the goals against them that year. It may have been Johann Vogel.

Scotland blew it. They should have been beaten by Holland, VAR would have awarded a penalty when Collins punched the ball off the line, then winked at the camera.
They should have had something from England, McAllister hitting Seaman with the penalty, it was never a save.
They should have scored more against Switzerland. I listened to that game on the radio, as I was going to the airport, and remember DJ saying that.

One thing I always remember of that tournament apart from the England and Scotland games was that a lot of the games had really crap attendances at them with rows of empty seats, for some reason that sticks in my head

Overpriced tickets, me and a pal paid £60 each, face value, for the France Czech semi at Old Trafford.

I was lucky enough to be at Denmark v Portugal at Hillsborough, Brian Laudrup scored in a 1 - 1.

Seaman let it in because he knew we should have done them at Wembley and didn't want to give us another chance. To think I was giving Gazza pelters after that goal (well disappointed undertones) and now meh!
Absolute nonsense, like all keepers he was always looking to keep a clean sheet. You sound like the always cheated never defeated at the east end hovel.

Can’t believe that was 25 years ago. I’ll probably not be about in another 25 years, hope to 75 though.

Scotland really should have scored at least another goal, we missed a good few decent chances.
My thoughts…..with the team we had and what was at stake we should’ve had our progress in our own hands…..Switzerland were quite handy too mind!

I was 16 years old and gutted after the England game. To get some fresh air and some chips, I went for a walk with the dog, in my Rangers top, to the local chippy in Sheffield.
To get to there I had to walk by a local pub called The Vine. It was was a haunt for Sheffield Utd casuals, The BBC.
They must have seen the top walking by the window and spilled out giving me pelters walking by and some of their younger lads, a few whom I knew from school, followed me up the hill. I was feeling a bit threatened but managed to talk my way out of any trouble. Told them Rangers would be the highest scorers in the tournament with Gazza, Laudrup and McCoist etc. and one guy I was later friendly with said it would be Newcastle as Shearer was immense, think he was right.
My Mum met God and got my brother and I signed programs whilst working at Hillsborough for the Denmark games.

Overpriced tickets, me and a pal paid £60 each, face value, for the France Czech semi at Old Trafford.

I was lucky enough to be at Denmark v Portugal at Hillsborough, Brian Laudrup scored in a 1 - 1.

My ticket for the Scotland game at Wembley. Vodafone area was £65.00
England stand area with a few Scotland fans including our seven.
Stayed in the Strand Palace Hotel just off Trafalgar Square.
Taken by taxi to the Wembley Hilton next to the stadium first thing Saturday morning.
Surrounded by Legends, Walter, Archie, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man u players.
The prick Rod Stewart appeared and disappeared again like a poof of smoke back to his room.
After the game back to the Hilton and back to our hotel.
What a day.
Finished our night in Soho.
Got work off of a good company from Hamilton back in those days and a great guy who had a tv shop in Larkhall who would look after you.
Told this story before on here.

Back