Euro Results: Larne 2-1 Aarhus, Linfield 4-0 Borac Banja Luka, Abergreen 5-1 Hacken, HIVs 3-0 Santa Coloma

Aberdeen have looked a lot better at times since Glass took over at least they go out to knock the ball around and play football, seems hes made some decent signings too... with fans back that will be a tough fixture again which isnt such a bad thing for the league/competition, too many clubs offer nothing.

People will say opposition was poor but there wasnt much in it with the bookies odds and that team had won 4 in a row.

Not exactly a cert but ok odds on Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd and Aberdeen 3rd at 5/2.

Agree about the co-commentator he was maniac Aberdeens answer to Davy Provan of sky sports and the many many Celtic radio shows.

Aberdeen have looked a lot better at times since Glass took over at least they go out to knock the ball around and play football, seems hes made some decent signings too... with fans back that will be a tough fixture again which isnt such a bad thing for the league/competition, too many clubs offer nothing.

People will say opposition was poor but there wasnt much in it with the bookies odds and that team had won 4 in a row.

Not exactly a cert but ok odds on Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd and Aberdeen 3rd at 5/2.

Agree about the co-commentator he was maniac Aberdeens answer to Davy Provan of sky sports and the many many Celtic radio shows.

In all honesty mate id prefer they were shite

For anyone worried about Malmo, Hacken finished 3rd in the Swedish league, just 11 points off Malmo.

The Swedish league is utter dogshit and we'll thump them comfortably.
I wouldnt have a clue mate and im not worried but when the draw was made people that do follow the league said it would be quite tough.

They seemed to know a lot of their players which i dont, i wouldnt rule any sides out or write them off cos Aberdeen hammered one of their rivals. Aberdeen played really well they look a completely different side from previous seasons.

I honestly think Aberdeen will be a tricky opponent to beat next season

McCrorie Gallagher Considine
Ferguson Brown

Players like Hayes/McLennan are good SPL level players

If those 5 are playing, the spine of their team will be solid. Obviously not on our level over the course of a season but one off games they’ll

Agreed, but you just know they'll provide them with their customary collapse when they meet. Meanwhile it'll be the usual play until they need oxygen tents when we get them.
A good point made on here, particularly as I wanted all Scottish teams pumped regardless of coefficient points, was that a Euro group run may suddenly mean an upcoming Rangers game might no longer be their life or death cup final IF there is a winnable euro game 3 days earlier. Bigger prize money, bonus for players, pressure from board room level all the way down that Thursday night is your cup final and might influence Glass and his selections. Might be fantasy stuff but I found it an interesting perspective

I honestly think Aberdeen will be a tricky opponent to beat next season

McCrorie Gallagher Considine
Ferguson Brown

Players like Hayes/McLennan are good SPL level players

If those 5 are playing, the spine of their team will be solid. Obviously not on our level over the course of a season but one off games they’ll
Thomas and Rameriz... they played a passing game with speed/movement in attack but also fired plenty of dangerous crosses in that the opposition couldnt deal with.

I dont know where Glass went, USA possibly, but he does seem to have picked up some nice habits and done the coaching courses. Better option for them than most of the usual faces in scottish football.

Likes that 4-4-2 system no one uses anymore.

Are we not above tit for tat with fans of the lesser clubs?

For me, there is no tangible downside to these clubs progressing in Europe. Of course we all don’t want Celtic to progress and earn more money…but hoping Hibs or whoever lose just because they dislike us?

No, I’m afraid we ought to be above that. If any of them can chip in by progressing a few rounds. It’s a good thing
I won't mind if Celtc get in to a group stage that is not the Champions League. It would help the co-efficient which assists us but the main point being, their squad (as it stands) will not cope with the number of games.

With the rest, it would be good for the co-efficient if they get a few victories and made group stages, however unlikely that may be for St Johnstone especially. Conversely, they would struggle with the number of games and would be less likely to take points from Them.

As long we get to the CL group then I won't really care to be honest but anything they do in Europe that can ultimately assist us is fine - as long as they are not too successful!

I won't mind if Celtc get in to a group stage that is not the Champions League. It would help the co-efficient which assists us but the main point being, their squad (as it stands) will not cope with the number of games.

With the rest, it would be good for the co-efficient if they get a few victories and made group stages, however unlikely that may be for St Johnstone especially. Conversely, they would struggle with the number of games and would be less likely to take points from Them.

As long we get to the CL group then I won't really care to be honest but anything they do in Europe that can ultimately assist us is fine - as long as they are not too successful!
conference league ideally

conference league ideally
Precisely. Good opportunity for them to add to the coefficient points whilst having the distraction of Thursday/Sunday/Wednesday/Saturday every 14 days until christmas

A complete hindrance to them that’ll benefit us domestically too. Don’t think there’s too much difference in the £ they make in it compared to europa but more chance of them improving Scotland’s coefficient

We’re probably one more good season away from having 2 teams directly into the CL if my understanding is correct. The £ and prestige that brings to Scottish football on the whole but us specifically will be immense

Thomas and Rameriz... they played a passing game with speed/movement in attack but also fired plenty of dangerous crosses in that the opposition couldnt deal with.

I dont know where Glass went, USA possibly, but he does seem to have picked up some nice habits and done the coaching courses. Better option for them than most of the usual faces in scottish football.

Likes that 4-4-2 system no one uses anymore.

was manager of the Atlanta second team and also took over the senior team as a caretaker when Frank de Boer left.

the sheeps business this summer has been pretty decent tbf, will be a very tricky team to beat up there

was manager of the Atlanta second team and also took over the senior team as a caretaker when Frank de Boer left.

the sheeps business this summer has been pretty decent tbf, will be a very tricky team to beat up there

I think the league could be as strong as it's been in a while this season. Hibs were fairly solid last year and look to have made a few decent signings, sheep look like a different team under Glass and have made some signings as well, Hearts & Dundee United back in the league, St Johnstone very well coached under Davidson & even guys like Martindale and Goodwin are decent coaches I think.

Hopefully a lot of these teams manage to take points off the scum and we canter to the title again.

Cant disagree with that.

Unlike others I’m not that arsed whether it’s the Europa league or conference league they’re in. Sure the former will be a bit more lucrative but that won’t matter if we’re in with the big boys.

The coefficient this year could take a hammering for a number of reasons:

1. All points accumulated are divided by five, not four.
2. Teams are starting later in the QR’s. By this stage two years ago we already had 3 victories and a draw accumulated
3. Also by starting later teams are facing quality opposition earlier, St Johnstone’s first game is against Galatasaray.
4. Success for us would be qualifying for the Champions League but it would, realistically, mean less wins relative to Europa, and therefore, less coefficient points.

That’s why winning the league this year is massive, we may only get one opportunity at automatic access to the Champions League.

2. Teams are starting later in the QR’s. By this stage two years ago we already had 3 victories and a draw accumulated
3. Also by starting later teams are facing quality opposition earlier, St Johnstone’s first game is against Galatasaray.
4. Success for us would be qualifying for the Champions League but it would, realistically, mean less wins relative to Europa, and therefore, less coefficient points.

That’s why winning the league this year is massive, we may only get one opportunity at automatic access to the Champions League.
That’s one way to look at it, the other is that 2 teams are guaranteed group football and I’d fancy us and Celtic to go deep in the conference league if we were unfortunate enough to be there

Also, with Aberdeen/Hibs virtually through, they have 4 games between them to pick up points to add to the total

St Johnstone will get mauled but the other 2 have a small chance in the next round too

All good points, but I'm sure if you reach the CL group you automatically get 8 coefficient points (you don't get that for reaching any other group) so chances are we can pick up more points in a CL group than a Europa one.

We have increased the co-efficient to what it is on our own.

Hope they get pumped.

We will see to the co-effiicent ourselves thank you very much.

Saw a table some fella who works out the coefficient on Twitter did, and if the coefficient was solely down to Rangers, they'd be ranked 32nd as opposed to 14th where we currently are.

Clearly no-one wants to see Celtic in the CL groups, but if four clubs go out in the qualifiers, even a strong European run from Rangers isn't going to keep us high in the coefficient for long.

Ideal situation is Celtic fall into the Europa or even the Conference league groups, at least one of Aberdeen/Hibs make the conference groups, and St Johnstone just don't embarrass themselves against Galatasary.

Really, are atlanta not one of the most exciting teams to watch in europe... wont make him a great manager might explain where he got his tactics from last night though.

Looking at the format for EL & Conf league will be played on the Thursday after the CL on the usual days Tuesday & Wednesday.

Perfect scenario would be Hibs and or Aberdeen accompanying the Shettleston's in either of the Thursday competitions where I'd guess we'd be playing Saturday football with a chance to put pressure on them.

We'll get more than one season of automatic access to the CL (assuming we definitely get that this coming season, chances are we will).

The number of points the countries around Scotland will drop over the next two seasons will be far more than Scotland will, so even a poor season won't be too damaging in the short term.

We'll get more than one season of automatic access to the CL (assuming we definitely get that this coming season, chances are we will).

The number of points the countries around Scotland will drop over the next two seasons will be far more than Scotland will, so even a poor season won't be too damaging in the short term.

Apparently Scotland got more points than France last season. Which led to some French footballing head honcho to specifically say that Scotland had earned more points than they did. And suggest they needed to take a look at their game.

Apparently Scotland got more points than France last season. Which led to some French footballing head honcho to specifically say that Scotland had earned more points than they did. And suggest they needed to take a look at their game.

Yeah, 8.5 average for Scotland, 7.916 for France. Yeah, they had 6 teams, but 3 of them were automatically in the CL with 4 bonus points individually so it's not like they all started the same.

Over the next 2 seasons Scotland will drop 10.75 points. The countries around 7th to 11th will drop:

Netherlands - 11.5
Russia - 20.183
Austria - 15.95
Ukraine - 13.6

So to overtake Scotland in that race for 7th the next couple of seasons, they'll all have to outperform us, some by a massive amount, which only Netherlands managed last season and none of them the season before.

We'll drop a little, I'd imagine, but top 10 seems pretty secure for a few seasons yet.

Yeah, 8.5 average for Scotland, 7.916 for France. Yeah, they had 6 teams, but 3 of them were automatically in the CL with 4 bonus points individually so it's not like they all started the same.

Over the next 2 seasons Scotland will drop 10.75 points. The countries around 7th to 11th will drop:

Netherlands - 11.5
Russia - 20.183
Austria - 15.95
Ukraine - 13.6

So to overtake Scotland in that race for 7th the next couple of seasons, they'll all have to outperform us, some by a massive amount, which only Netherlands managed last season and none of them the season before.

We'll drop a little, I'd imagine, but top 10 seems pretty secure for a few seasons yet.
Good research. I was never convinced the introduction of conference league plus 5 teams would completely screw only our national ranking. I expected it to have an impact. But we're not alone in these things.

Thanks for the objective data.

Saw a table some fella who works out the coefficient on Twitter did, and if the coefficient was solely down to Rangers, they'd be ranked 32nd as opposed to 14th where we currently are.

Clearly no-one wants to see Celtic in the CL groups, but if four clubs go out in the qualifiers, even a strong European run from Rangers isn't going to keep us high in the coefficient for long.

Ideal situation is Celtic fall into the Europa or even the Conference league groups, at least one of Aberdeen/Hibs make the conference groups, and St Johnstone just don't embarrass themselves against Galatasary.
The thing is even when St Johnstone get knocked out they drop into the Conference League play off round so they have a chance at getting into the group stages

The thing is even when St Johnstone get knocked out they drop into the Conference League play off round so they have a chance at getting into the group stages
I believe they are going to be drawn against the likes of Spurs, Roma, Anderlecht

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League_qualifying_phase_and_play-off_round#Play-off_round

Netherlands - 11.5
Russia - 20.183
Austria - 15.95
Ukraine - 13.6

If the others can contribute something rather than their usual next to nothing that may make a significant difference. We're not used to non OF clubs contributing.

And obviously a good run in the CL for us would greatly help. If we make the groups I have a feeling we might be a surprise package.

The opinion among many knowledgeable professional pundits appears to be that they think if we make the group stages Gerrard will be going all out to make at least the last 16.

Which is one major reason I suspect there may be some sort of marquee signing if we make those groups.

Back