Euro Squad - who drops out for Hellander?

Rambo

Assuming Candeias misses out again due to the links with Turkey & Flanagan is still out that just leaves Hellander to come in. But who would we drop from the current 22? Bit of a headache for the gaffer it would seem.

Technically only need to submit 2 keepers so dropping Firth could be an option, but always a bit of an unnecessary risk going into it if you do that. Drop Halliday or Polster and we wont have any cover at fullback. Also think these early rounds are good for giving guys like Hastie some experience so wouldn't be too keen to drop him either just now.

McGregor
Foderingham
Firth

Tavernier
Edmundson
Goldson
Katic
Polster
Barisic

Jack
Davis
Ojo
Halliday
Kamara
Docherty
Stewart
Aribo

Arfield
Defoe
Morelos
Jones
Hastie

wont be hastie he counts towards home grown players

We only need the 4 home grown players developed by Academies other than our own - and we have way in excess of that.

Easier to look at it from the other angle - we can only have 17 foreigners so pick your best 17 foreigners (or 15 if thats all we have) then add 4 players from other Scottish Academies plus our only product from our own Academy who is over 20 (McGregor) and then look at who you have left to axe from the squad.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we may sell a centre half if we got a good offer and that would create a space for him.
I could be totally wrong but if a decent bid came in for Katic I wonder if we would be tempted to sell.

Assuming Candeias misses out again due to the links with Turkey & Flanagan is still out that just leaves Hellander to come in. But who would we drop from the current 22? Bit of a headache for the gaffer it would seem.

Technically only need to submit 2 keepers so dropping Firth could be an option, but always a bit of an unnecessary risk going into it if you do that. Drop Halliday or Polster and we wont have any cover at fullback. Also think these early rounds are good for giving guys like Hastie some experience so wouldn't be too keen to drop him either just now.

McGregor
Foderingham
Firth

Tavernier
Edmundson
Goldson
Katic
Polster
Barisic

Jack
Davis
Ojo
Halliday
Kamara
Docherty
Stewart
Aribo

Arfield
Defoe
Morelos
Jones
Hastie

Not sure Helander will make the squad, judging what Gerrard said about his fitness levels.

No need to rush him for this.

Killie and 3rd round Europa will be his targets.

It’s a difficult one, I don’t see us playing Helander based on Gerrards comments last week but we can only make limited changes each round so we probably want him added to the squad because we will need our full strength team available in the third round.

For example if Morelos did leave we would probably bring in a couple of players that would also need added.

I’m guessing edmundson might drop out which is quite harsh

He'll play against Blackburn and Derby, he won't feature against Progres IMO. Hopefully can come in for QR3 providing we're there.

I have a feeling we may sell a centre half if we got a good offer and that would create a space for him.
I could be totally wrong but if a decent bid came in for Katic I wonder if we would be tempted to sell.

There's no chance we're selling a centre half and leaving us with only 3 centre halves to start a new league campaign with.

If Katic or any other centre half was sold, we'd bring in a replacement.

Can't see it happening though.

So your saying we will sell Goldson or Katic? Have a real hard think about that one son.

And leave us with 3 centre half’s for the season????

I seriously think some folk on here have no idea how football works.
Mate I've went to football for a long long time.We are a selling club and if we made a profit we would replace him with a cheaper option.Thats the way we work now

There's no chance we're selling a centre half and leaving us with only 3 centre halves to start a new league campaign with.

If Katic or any other centre half was sold, we'd bring in a replacement.

Can't see it happening though.
I reckon we would bring the likes of Bridgewater or someone like that to replace him.

So your saying we will sell Goldson or Katic? Have a real hard think about that one son.
Son? I'm nearly 50 for fucks sake.Im not saying we will I'm saying he could make us a profit and is replaceable.
Have a think about that dad

I'd imagine Edmundson has been impressing Gerrard.

Right foot, left foot, never wastes a pass, on the go - short/long. Aerial very commanding, decent pace, good movement, positioning and very talkative. Also, when a team mate is fouled, he's one of the first on the scene.

Makes sense but may depend who we draw in QR3. I suspect we will keep the 4 centre-backs and I see the likes of Polster, Hastie and Docherty as being amongst those most likely to drop out. Subject to no transfer movement.
Hastie and Doc make up part of our association home grown players along with the likes of Stewart, Halliday and Jack. If any of those guys drop out they would need to be replaced by another Scottish trained player.

Hastie and Doc make up part of our association home grown players along with the likes of Stewart, Halliday and Jack. If any of those guys drop out they would need to be replaced by another Scottish trained player.

No mate you are misinterpreting it. We are supposed to have 4 players from our own Academy and 4 players from other Academies within our home association (Scotland). We have more than 4 from other Academies so that’s not a problem, we can lose 1 or more of them and it’s not an issue so long as we have 4. Any more than that and we can replace them with foreigners provided we don’t go over the 17 foreigners. We only have 1 from our own Academy (McGregor) and that’s why we were cut from a squad of 25 to a squad of 22. It’s the own product figure that’s the issue.

The youths under 20 are in the B squad and so don’t count as part of the A squad.

Last edited:

No they wouldn't as the maximum amount of spaces for Scottish trained players is 4. Any more than that just count towards the regular 17 players.

Polster and Hastie are the likeliest to fall out.

Agree. Polster will probably drop out for Flanagan. Can see Hastie dropping out for Helander when he's ready.

If we sign any more then it becomes a real tough call for the gaffer.

Mate I've went to football for a long long time.We are a selling club and if we made a profit we would replace him with a cheaper option.Thats the way we work now

You just stated that we’d sell one of our 3 current CBs to make space for Helander. Not to replace the one sold.

I really hope you are drunk.

No mate you are misinterpreting it. We are supposed to have 4 players from our own Academy and 4 players from other Academies within our home association (Scotland). We have more than 4 from other Academies so that’s not a problem, we can lose 1 or more of them and it’s not an issue so long as we have 4. Any more than that and we can replace them with foreigners provided we don’t go over the 17 foreigners. We only have 1 from our own Academy (McGregor) and that’s why we were cut from a squad of 25 to a squad of 22. It’s the own product figure that’s the issue.

The youths under 20 are in the B squad and so t count as part of the A squad.
Fair enough mate looking into it some more looks like you’re right. I was trying to remember the rules based on playing football manager about 10 years ago!

The youths under 20 are in the B squad and so t count as part of the A squad.

Is McPake not from our own academy?

Not sure he’ll be ready.
For sure, he’d better not be needed!

Yeah. I took from Gerrard’s comments earlier in the week that he wouldn’t feature this round. Gerrard said something like he was on Day 3 of his preseason and not ready for conpetitive matches. He’d get some miles on the legs in friendlies soon but would be introduced to competitive games slowly when he was ready. Given the phrase ‘friendl*ies* and that there is only 1 before the next game, I don’t see him being in the squad unless it’s like Arfield - included in the hope of being 8-0 up in the last half hour away and put on when it’s already game over.

I think we won’t see him till the next round at the earliest.

You just stated that we’d sell one of our 3 current CBs to make space for Helander. Not to replace the one sold.

I really hope you are drunk.
No I'm saying we might cash in on a young player who is not a first team regular that we might make a profit on which might allow us to free up a bit of wages for someone else.
For %^*& sake it was only a thought I had so grab a diazepam and relax

I'd imagine Edmundson has been impressing Gerrard.

Right foot, left foot, never wastes a pass, on the go - short/long. Aerial very commanding, decent pace, good movement, positioning and very talkative. Also, when a team mate is fouled, he's one of the first on the scene.
Has looked great! Seems like we are spoilt for choice at CB this season :)

No I'm saying we might cash in on a young player who is not a first team regular that we might make a profit on which might allow us to free up a bit of wages for someone else.
For %^*& sake it was only a thought I had so grab a diazepam and relax

I'm glad you're not in charge of our transfers.

Back