Europa - how far?

Will say quarter finals, could have easily got there last time given the other squads in with us but got an unlucky draw with Leverkusen

I’d take getting out the group again which it looks very likely we will now. Anything beyond that for me is a bonus. If we go out in the last 32 then I certainly won’t be classing it as a failure. Every round we progress beyond the group will be just another adventure.

Leverkusen have been by far the strongest team we've faced in Europe and they got beat in the quarters, so last 16/32 is probably as far as we can hope, I reckon.

Depends on the draw but last 16 with a sneaky chance of getting to the quarter final would be an amazing achievement.

Didn’t realise this. So is there an advantage finishing first over second?
Yeah Finish first and we are seeded so we will either play one of the 12 runners up in the europa league , or one the 4 worst third placed finishers in the champions league.

Second place we aren’t seeded and will face a europa league group winner or one of the 4 best placed third finishers in the champions league.

Yeah Finish first and we are seeded so we will either play one of the 12 runners up in the europa league , or one the 4 worst third placed finishers in the champions league.

Second place we aren’t seeded and will face a europa league group winner or one of the 4 best placed third finishers in the champions league.
Right, so these Benfica games could well be crucial (an extra round maybe, with the associated £££ and coefficient points).

Reckon we can get to the same round as last year, draw dependant on getting further than that. We got handed a hard draw last year when there were some easier ties around.

People need to settle down a wee bit. Personally I can’t see us getting any further than the final, how that goes is anyone’s guess.
I’ve got Alfie down for a hat trick and Roofe,Kent and Arfield to score as well. I think we will also put a few away in the second half.
Shagger with another clean sheet.

Last 32 minimum expectation.
Last 16 match last season, got to be pleased with that.
Quarter Final upwards performing well above expectations.

Yeah would be happy with this.

Would be nice to go further than last year but I want us to at least get to last 16 on a regular basis.

The question for me is, have we improved enough to be able to see off a Leverkusen or a team of their quality over 2 legs. I think we could if everything went our way in terms of COVID, fans back, confidence, and VAR calls

Right gents, based on what we’ve seen to this point, how far do we go? Give some reasoning if you can.

Im genuinely all in, Saying this is the year we get to the final!
The team spirit and workrate is enough to see us compete with the best of Europe, out with the very elite.

I think we’ll get through one KO round but no further. The quality of team will be too high after that and we’ll likely fall short which there is no shame in.

We are over performing when you consider our recent history and financial situation. We have rebuilt our European reputation and earned a lot of respect over the last few campaigns.

For me it depends who we draw. If we get a favourable draw then we should beat everyone. If we get a tough draw we could go out last 32.

that’s it we go through !

If it was just the europa league teams I'd fancy our chancies to progress to the quarters and maybe semis but once the 3rd place CL teams come into the equation it makes it all a lot harder again. Hopefully, the ko draws are kind to us and we can go far.

I think our official ranking has gone up to 63 but that includes two seasons BSG (before Steven Gerrard) within the context of European competition we are probably a top 30 side these days. So how far can a top 30 team go in the EL? Assuming there is a 50% chance we win our group I would say last 16. If we win the group maybe last 8 but 16 is still the most likely.
We have come a long way, if we get some champions league money and hang on to SG as manager then we will continue to develop as a European force and become seriously competitive in the later stages of the EL.

Depends on the draw.

However, I can't see us beyond the last 8.

Our defending in Europe is a long way off Walter-naccio though.

With a bit of fortune the last 8 but then the quality of competition I think will be too much. I'd be very proud to go that far, given the amount of qualifying we have to do in the first place.

Group stages is always the baseline, minimum expectation.

With a favourable draw there’s no reason we shouldn’t be looking to match last seasons run

No reason we shouldn't be aiming for the last 8 this time round (draw dependent of course) We'll be unlucky to draw anyone as good as Benfica in the last 32/16.

With a kind draw, anything is possible. We've seen plenty unfancied teams make the final in both European competitions.

It's doable. We scaled the mountain once before with a team not as good as this one on the European stage.

Right gents, based on what we’ve seen to this point, how far do we go? Give some reasoning if you can.

Im genuinely all in, Saying this is the year we get to the final!
The team spirit and workrate is enough to see us compete with the best of Europe, out with the very elite.
We should make the last 32 but then it’s draw dependent. We really should have won the group and had an easier draw in the knockout rounds. It may well cost us dear at that stage.
Benfica are a class act they threatened to score all night... in the end i would... like the rest of the Bears i am sure would have been gutted if they had won...obviously we should have had a pen but 2-2 on the night wasn’t a disaster and our players gave there all including 2 great goals i’m happy with that...looking over the whole 90 mins

All about the luck of the draw.

If we'd won the group last season we'd have been knocked out by Leverkusen a round earlier. Still don't see us beating a team of that calibre over 2 legs so just need to avoid them for as long as possible.

Depends on the draw.

I'm actually disappointed with both our results against Benfica purely based on how the games went. Losing a 2 goal lead both times is disappointing.

In saying that, they're probably one of the better sides we'll face.

If we could avoid the likes of Roma, Leverkusen and Spurs we'll do alright in the next round.
Here's hoping

I think our minimum expectation will be to get to the groups so the accomplishment is already there and we're likely to qualify with a game to spare so surpassing expectations.

Luck of the draw from here on in if we can go through. I really do fancy us up against anyone. Still think we're underrated in Europe but we've shown we can hold our shape very well and can be clinical on the counter.

We'll be the team that others want to avoid.

Who knows, could get to the semis.
If we hadnt went to sleep , then we would have at maximum points.
So if the defence can concentrate for the lay 20 minutes then we could go far.

Dependant on champions league next season , if that doesnt happen then i would be looking for group stages of the europa and qualify from that to.

Don't think the defence is good enough against the better teams and the quality increases dramatically when the champions league teams drop in.

Theres to many "big clubs" try to win the europa now, due to the chamo league place.
Leverkusen game is an indication of how far away we are.

Quarters if we get a decent draw in the knockouts. There are only a handful of teams that are so much better than us that we wouldn’t have a chance

All comes down to the luck of the draw, we could draw Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Leverkusen, Napoli, or Milan.

I genuinely believe we would be capable of getting to the final if no other teams were to come into the competition, the biggest problem for us is when the CL teams drop out. A lot of them are simply a step up from the quality already in the competition.

Over two legs against anyone in the tournament currently though we would have a chance. I think Benfica are probably one of the best teams in the whole tournament at the moment.

With some luck of the draw, we could maybe reach last 16 / last 8 at an absolute push imo. Anything beyond the last 16 would be an incredible achievement.

Latest posts

Back