Europa League 19/20 - Everything You Need To Know

Beat midgy or az and every chance we could get legia or gent in 4th round
That is true I’ve been thinking about it there’s likely to become a stage where we’d be seeded in this round and be expected to win but unseeded in the play off.

It would just be a different way of doing things. Drawing Midtjylland/AZ would mean tough tie followed by tougher tie. Drawing Legia/Gent would be tough tie followed by potentially easier tie.

As an example we could have Midtjylland/Az followed by Wolves/Feyenoord/PSV/Frankfurt and others

Or you could have Legia/Gent followed by AEK/Molde/Rijeka/Strasbourg/Arsenal Tula/Victoria Guimarães and others.

I know who I’d rather have.

Gent is absolutely the best draw. Just read that they finished 5th in the league last season and are only in the Europa League because domestic the Belgian Cup winners, Mechelen, were done for match fixing
Gent would be my preference actually, easy to get to, 20K stadium isn’t great but think we’d be ok for allocation.

Legia has 31k but have a suspicion it would be less as If I remeber rightly they have a standing section behind the goal.

Wolves 31k

Az - 17k - close enough to Amsterdam.

Midtjylland- 11k (allocation would be around 500-600 I reckon - 3.5 hrs approx from both Hamburg and Copenhagen.

That is true I’ve been thinking about it there’s likely to become a stage where we’d be seeded in this round and be expected to win but unseeded in the play off.

It would just be a different way of doing things. Drawing Midtjylland/AZ would mean tough tie followed by tougher tie. Drawing Legia/Gent would be tough tie followed by potentially easier tie.

As an example we could have Midtjylland/Az followed by Wolves/Feyenoord/PSV/Frankfurt and others

Or you could have Legia/Gent followed by AEK/Molde/Rijeka/Strasbourg/Arsenal Tula/Victoria Guimarães and others.

I know who I’d rather have.

It just shows how fortunate we were, in terms of the draw last season.

Most teams will be looking to avoid us in Mondays draw, it'll be tough but we have a right good chance at this......once we overcome Progres.

If we get through this round when are the next round played and will we be home or away first?
This round as in beat Progres? Draw is Monday with games played 8th/15th August. Depends when you come out the hat, 1st then you’re at home first leg, 2nd then you’re away.

If you mean after the 3rd round then games are 22nd/29th with draw being made on 5th August.

It would be interesting to find out but what was our pairings in this round last year?

Maribor was a very difficult draw but we got the job done at Ibrox which has been a fortress on Euro Nights under Gerrard

It just shows how fortunate we were, in terms of the draw last season.

Most teams will be looking to avoid us in Mondays draw, it'll be tough but we have a right good chance at this......once we overcome Progres.
I mean without a doubt Maribor was an amazing draw. We’re looking at Legia/Wolves or Gent this year to give us a similar route, all of which are better than Maribor IMO.

It’s luck of the draw at the end of the day, I reckon AZ would be a tougher test than Legia but beating Legia would be easier for progression.

Looking at the unseeded teams we’re with we’re the ones everyone wants to avoid IMO.

6 AEK Larnaca FC (CYP) / PFC Levski Sofia (BUL)
7 FC Pyunik (ARM) / FK Jablonec (CZE)
8 FC DAC 1904 Dunajská Streda (SVK) / Atromitos FC (GRE)
9 Rangers FC (SCO) / FC Progrès Niederkorn (LUX)
10 FC Mariupol (UKR)

It would be interesting to find out but what was our pairings in this round last year?

Maribor was a very difficult draw but we got the job done at Ibrox which has been a fortress on Euro Nights under Gerrard
If you're asking who we were grouped with last year it was Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Olympiacos, Maribor and Feyenoord. So we definitely got very lucky.

Good that they add pretty short flights and no Russia and Ukraine. Would take Legia they have been dreadful recently would fancy us to get a result at home against any of them tbh.

I’d take Molde, Rijeka, or Apollon Limisol. A lot of people saying Gent but the Belgian teams have done really well in Europe on the last few years and it is a strong league co efficient wise.

If you're asking who we were grouped with last year it was Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Olympiacos, Maribor and Feyenoord. So we definitely got very lucky.
Yeah definitely. Couldn't remember.

I’d take Molde, Rijeka, or Apollon Limisol. A lot of people saying Gent but the Belgian teams have done really well in Europe on the last few years and it is a strong league co efficient wise.

Gent went crashing out last year in play off last year after entering the round before. And had a very poor season. No reason why we couldn't pump them

We can't get any of those 3 you've just mentioned. People are saying Gent because they're among the easiest of the teams we've actually been grouped with and they would get us seeded for the 4th round.

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (ENG) / Crusaders FC (NIR)
2 Legia Warszawa (POL) / KuPS Kuopio (FIN)
3 KAA Gent (BEL) / FC Viitorul (ROU)
4 FC Midtjylland (DEN)
5 AZ Alkmaar (NED) / BK Häcken (SWE)

All of those sides we can be drawn against are tougher than Maribor last season. The sherp have it a wee bit easier than us I think.

All of those sides we can be drawn against are tougher than Maribor last season. The sherp have it a wee bit easier than us I think.

No chance. Frankfurt are probably the best side in at this stage & PSV/Basel are no mugs either. Easiest draw for them would be Vitoria of Portugal or Rijeka who they'd still lose to 9 times out of 10 I'd bet.

We can't get any of those 3 you've just mentioned. People are saying Gent because they're among the easiest of the teams we've actually been grouped with and they would get us seeded for the 4th round.

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (ENG) / Crusaders FC (NIR)
2 Legia Warszawa (POL) / KuPS Kuopio (FIN)
3 KAA Gent (BEL) / FC Viitorul (ROU)
4 FC Midtjylland (DEN)
5 AZ Alkmaar (NED) / BK Häcken (SWE)

Thanks mate never realised the groupings had been made.

I would fancy us to take on anyone there except wolves however i still believe we'd have a good chance against them. Tbh i think the grouping could've been worse

No chance. Frankfurt are probably the best side in at this stage & PSV/Basel are no mugs either. Easiest draw for them would be Vitoria of Portugal or Rijeka who they'd still lose to 9 times out of 10 I'd bet.
Agree, they have the harder top seeds but the easier lower ones.

Frankfurt, Basel/PSV are tougher than Wolves and Legia.

Alkmaar and Midtjylland and tougher than Rijeka and Vitória.

Looked at flights for the potential dates to Warsaw... Looks a nightmate to get to for a decent price

Fly anywhere nearby and get a train. Trains are cheap and great. And not just Poland, trains from neighbouring countries work too.

Come on...

Same as last year and the years before. The draw follows to decide who's at home first and the games follow on in consecutive weeks.

Err thanks? I thought the home team was based on seeding. So if we drew a higher seeded team we are at home first?

This round as in beat Progres? Draw is Monday with games played 8th/15th August. Depends when you come out the hat, 1st then you’re at home first leg, 2nd then you’re away.

If you mean after the 3rd round then games are 22nd/29th with draw being made on 5th August.

3rd round mate cheers. If we’re at home 15th and 22nd I’ll miss both games :confused:

We would give Wolves a game, especially this early in the season when they're not a full pelt. They would be favourites but don't know why everyone is running scared of them.

It's actually a decent grouping overall for us. Easier than this stage last year.

Gent would be my preference actually, easy to get to, 20K stadium isn’t great but think we’d be ok for allocation.

Legia has 31k but have a suspicion it would be less as If I remeber rightly they have a standing section behind the goal.

Wolves 31k

Az - 17k - close enough to Amsterdam.

Midtjylland- 11k (allocation would be around 500-600 I reckon - 3.5 hrs approx from both Hamburg and Copenhagen.
All those ,bar wolves , not great for away travel tickets, and even for wolves , would be a bit of a shit away trip like the Man U games were, still at least it would be a cheap day out by comparison

For the euro destinations, I’m sure will be the old argument again if travel club were to run a flight and how that sits against the independent tickets available / points

I can’t mind how many tickets we had last time for AZ, definitely be reduced number with their new stadium, I just went with travel club day trip last time (I’m sure they had a day & overnight trips? Day in Amsterdam before bus to alkmaar,

The tourist in me would prefer Warsaw or Gent, both look interesting places , have things to see

& If Warsaw, folk really need to keep in mind their ultras love to steal flags / display them upside down at the game, need to be vigilant / keep eyes open over there

Last edited:
Would rather avoid Wolves obviously, but the great unknown with them is how seriously they would take it, which is always the question with English sides.

Quite a few tough games in there certainly.

All those ,bar wolves , not great for away travel tickets, and even for wolves , would be a bit of a shit away trip like the Man U games were, still at least it would be a cheap day out by comparison

For the euro destinations, I’m sure will be the old argument again if travel club were to run a flight and how that sits against the independent tickets available / points

I can’t mind how many tickets we had last time for AZ, definitely be reduced number with their new stadium, I just went with travel club day trip last time (I’m sure they had a day & overnight trips? Day in Amsterdam before bus to alkmaar,

& If Warsaw, folk really need to keep in mind their ultras love to steal flags / display them upside down at the game, need to be vigilant / keep eyes open over there
AZ last time was very tight for tickets,many missed out.The stadium was small only held about 8,500.

Would wolves play a second string do we think? Or are they likely to make a go of it.

Wolves second string treating it like a pre season friendly we should take care of

Would wolves play a second string do we think? Or are they likely to make a go of it.

Wolves second string treating it like a pre season friendly we should take care of
I'd doubt it. They have a strong squad as it is & doubt their manager would want the embarrassment of an early exit.

Gent is the tie we should all want, I actually don’t understand posters saying they’d take Wolves, pre season or not they have the strongest team and i expect them to go far in the europa league

Back