Europa League 2019/20 - to Gdansk, we're on our way!!

I don't think we were lucky at all last year.

A Macedonian side in July in sweltering heat in round 1, a decent enough Croatian side in round 2. Maribor a team with CL experience in R3 and then a 10,000 circa miles round trip to a side from Russia?

All the while where we were settling in a new management team, new players and a turnaround of over 20 players?
At each round and looking at "teams we could have got", I always felt we did very well with the opponents we got. Could have been so much harder.

I am somewhat conflicted, we should easily get through the first two rounds with a couple of full houses at Ibrox and then it's down to the luck of the draw... would going out at that stage, to a European heavyweight offer us the best possible chance at 55 or is it simply a case that the money from Europa League football is absolutely essential, as we can see from this season. I have probably answered my own question...

I don’t imagine our financial plan depended on us getting group stage football in the Europa in Gerrard’s first two years consecutively.

Worst case scenario is that getting into it last year could mean that we wouldn’t be deviating too far from the plan financially if we didn’t make it this year.

Went there for a weekend break couple of years back. Really friendly city and a superb stadium. Took in Lechsia Gdansk v Lech Poznan (0-1) on the Sunday. Great atmosphere generated under the single roof even with only about 15,000 in attendance.
Only snag being that Lechsia play in a horrible Grey and Green hooped shirt !

The stadium in Gdansk is smart, but Gdansk itself is relatively small; I reckon it'll struggle with however many thousand football fans on top on the usual number of tourists they have.

I'm wanting a draw to Estonia / Latvia / Moldova etc in the early rounds, countries I haven't visited yet and relatively easy ties for us to navigate.

Roll on the 19th June to get booked up :cool:

It’s one of those ones where you wonder if the extra 14 games at that point in our development under Gerrard cost us the league.

Obviously though, we need the money.
Undoubtedly cost us the league but getting the club back on the European map will benefit the club in the long run . We'll be better prepared next season.

3 teams, assuming it will be us, Aberdeen and hearts?

Yeah 3 teams

Rangers
Kilmarnock or Aberdeen via League

The remaining one is what happens in the Scottish Cup Final - Hearts win it or Celtic win it then it is however finishes 4th from Kilmarnock or Aberdeen

I'm wanting a draw to Estonia / Latvia / Moldova etc in the early rounds, countries I haven't visited yet and relatively easy ties for us to navigate.

Roll on the 19th June to get booked up :cool:

Can fly direct from Edinburgh to Tallinn and Riga too. Moldova might be a bit harder to get to, mind.

Went there for a weekend break couple of years back. Really friendly city and a superb stadium. Took in Lechsia Gdansk v Lech Poznan (0-1) on the Sunday. Great atmosphere generated under the single roof even with only about 15,000 in attendance.
Only snag being that Lechsia play in a horrible Grey and Green hooped shirt !
A few of us went to see Rangers v Amica Wronki in Poland and got in tow with a few Arka Gdynia fans who had come down from Gdansk to watch us.
They had an Arka flag with UVF and red hand the lot on it! Mental guys!
Think a mate still has the flag, last I saw of it was in Valencia before Villarreal last 16 game!

For what it's worth, out of the Polish cities I've visited (Warsaw x 3, Wroclaw x 2, Poznan x 2, Krakow x 1, Katowice x 1 & Gdansk x 1), Gdansk has been my least favourite. Will still probably go if we get there though!

A Macedonian side in July in sweltering heat in round 1, a decent enough Croatian side in round 2. Maribor a team with CL experience in R3 and then a 10,000 circa miles round trip to a side from Russia?

All the while where we were settling in a new management team, new players and a turnaround of over 20 players?
We were lucky mate. The Maribor draw being the luckiest as they were basically the lowest ranked seeded team we could have got in round 3 who would also be seeded in round 4 so we could steal their seeding. That was the perfect draw and meant we had an easier 4th round. Ufa were also relatively mid-ranking in the 4th round of the unseeded teams. Could have had much harder teams than that.

RANGERS would benefit in the Europa League from Celtic lifting the Scottish Cup at the end of this month.

Gers have already secured their place in the competition after taking second spot from Aberdeen.

Steven Gerrard's side would play their first qualifying match on July 11 as things stand.

However, should rivals Celtic beat Hearts at Hampden, the Ibrox club would then go in at the second qualifying round.

Fourth spot would take the additional Euro place, leaving Gers as the highest ranked Scottish side entering the competition.

This would leave Gerrard's side an extra two weeks to prepare with their first match then taking place on July 25.

Rangers are currently ranked 206th in Uefa's coefficient rankings with a points tally of 5.25 after picking up 5.00 this season.

Meanwhile, ex-Ibrox star Ronald de Boer reckons his former team-mate Giovanni Van Bronckhorst will return to the club to replace Steven Gerrard as boss.

"But at some stage he is going to have the ambition to take another step elsewhere.

"I think Gio would be a great fit in Scotland with Rangers."

This is from the Sun so I have no idea how true it is.

Not true

Scotland for 2018-19 were 23rd in the coefficient table

Champions - CL QR1
Scottish Cup Winners - EL QR2
2nd place - EL QR1
3rd place - EL QR1

With Celtic winning both the League and Scottish Cup it meant Aberdeen moved from QR1 to QR2 and 4th place Hibs entered EL QR1

Scotland for 2019/20 are 26th in the coefficient table

Champions - CL QR1
Scottish Cup Winners - EL QR1
2nd place - EL QR1
3rd place - EL QR1

Scotland for 2020-21 are 20th in the coefficient table

Same entry points as 2018-19 season

No one in round 3 will be wanting to draw us

We have a whole year of experience playing together under our belts this year

It won't be easy, but we should have as good a chance as any

Looking forward to smashing the Mhanks in Europe after they get pumped out the CL qualifiers...

Agree with this. It's a bit of a popular myth for me that we were lucky. I wasn't convinced we'd get past Osijek or Maribor. Both of them would've comfortably beat the squad we had just a couple of months before IMO.

Caught a bit of the Cliftonville/Glentoran Europa lge play off on bbc Northern Ireland on Saturday their & they were a very poor side

First game is 11 July - I reckon the players will get a bit longer off. Probably best part of a month with most back on Monday 17th June (guess) and a foreign training camp (i'd guess Spain again) starting sometime between Monday 24th June and Monday 1st July.

The likes of Morelos who'll be in the Copa America which runs from 15 June till 7 July will be given a much longer break. Only others who could be in the position are Barisic and Katic (Croatia); Arfield (Canada); Grezda (Albania) and Davis + the other NI boys. Possibly Jack if selected for Scotland.

Will be tough again, and I hope we get to the groups again, but at the end of the day, having a clear run at the league this year would also sorta suit us.

Gdansk will be a great city to host it, I've been multiple times and I'm never disappointed. Cheap beer, good weather and a beautiful city.

In all likelihood we are going to be missing Arfield for the first couple of qualifiers due to the Gold Cup so it will be interesting to see if Jamie Murphy can come straight back in and perform that role or do we switch it up a bit with Hastie.

RANGERS would benefit in the Europa League from Celtic lifting the Scottish Cup at the end of this month.

Gers have already secured their place in the competition after taking second spot from Aberdeen.

Steven Gerrard's side would play their first qualifying match on July 11 as things stand.

However, should rivals Celtic beat Hearts at Hampden, the Ibrox club would then go in at the second qualifying round.

Fourth spot would take the additional Euro place, leaving Gers as the highest ranked Scottish side entering the competition.

This would leave Gerrard's side an extra two weeks to prepare with their first match then taking place on July 25.

Rangers are currently ranked 206th in Uefa's coefficient rankings with a points tally of 5.25 after picking up 5.00 this season.

Meanwhile, ex-Ibrox star Ronald de Boer reckons his former team-mate Giovanni Van Bronckhorst will return to the club to replace Steven Gerrard as boss.

"But at some stage he is going to have the ambition to take another step elsewhere.

"I think Gio would be a great fit in Scotland with Rangers."

Would rather go in at the first. Can treat the first round like a warm up game.

Not true

Scotland for 2018-19 were 23rd in the coefficient table

Champions - CL QR1
Scottish Cup Winners - EL QR2
2nd place - EL QR1
3rd place - EL QR1

With Celtic winning both the League and Scottish Cup it meant Aberdeen moved from QR1 to QR2 and 4th place Hibs entered EL QR1

Scotland for 2019/20 are 26th in the coefficient table

Champions - CL QR1
Scottish Cup Winners - EL QR1
2nd place - EL QR1
3rd place - EL QR1

Scotland for 2020-21 are 20th in the coefficient table

Same entry points as 2018-19 season

Both the Sun and that Football Scotland site (a cover for the Record) reporting we enter at QR2 if the Dhims win the Cup.

Its not true.

@rangeral is correct - its QR1 regardless of who wins the Scottish Cup.

Tallinn would be splendid easy to get to and won’t need visas and 100 different flights.

Back