Europa League 2019/20 - to Gdansk, we're on our way!!

We will have a stronger, more settled squad at our disposal this coming season.
I expect to see us go all out to qualify for the group stages again.
Talk of weakened teams for Europe would not be entertained by the coaching staff.
If anything it gives the squad more impetus as there are more opportunities for fringe players to get game time as the squad is rotated.

Last edited:
People saying we got lucky with the draw this season.

Maribor are no mugs, we did well to put them out.
Osijek have a recent history of upsets and caused us problems at Ibrox.

Only lucky draw was Ufa.

We'll get through the first two rounds then just need to hope for a beatable seeded team so that we get a good 4th round draw again.

Cant wait!

Brann are absolutely shit, we will have no problems if we get them.

But Gdansk would be magic. Not just because we would be in the final, it is an absolutely stunning city. Been there a few times in the last couple of years, it has been massively re-generated, cheap as chips and caters for every whim. Fantastic place to spend 3 or 4 days :))

Errr... What type of 'whims'?

Amazed that so many are writing us off. I said similar last year but should we make it Past the first two ties, we will be the unseeded team that everyone else will want to avoid.

I’d be happy to bet on us reaching the Group Stages again. Anything after that, is a bonus (not that I’d expect the management to have that mindset of course)

After this season performances in the qualifying rounds I have no fear of who we meet.
Rangers regardless of seeding are stronger than most of the sides with a higher coef, this is a fact.
Take Villarreal for example who we played at the group stage, the results if it had been the qualifiers would have been enough to see us through, same with Rapid Vienna and if you factor in we will be stronger and more ready this year then Group qualification should be a dawdle.

Ever the optimist, and as always will be very disappointed if we don't do it again.

We take it on the chin and move on with #55 obviously foremost in our thoughts.

Really want another punt at making that knock-out stage right enough! :mad:

It's been proven that we can go away from home, play compact and disciplined and get a draw. Nothing to fear in those early rounds.

It might not be next season but I suspect we'll get beyond the Group Stages under this management team.

2018-19

1st seeded
2nd unseeded
3rd unseeded taking Osijek who also unseeded
4th 'seeded' taking Maribor

2019-20

1st seeded
2nd seeded?
3rd unseeded
4th will depend on how high the 3rd round seeded team coefficient is

wasnt Maribor the 3rd round and Ufa the 4th?

Will be really tough to get there again, who was the team that Ejaria scored against? That was one nervy game, they were a good side.

Saying we got lucky isn't undermining the achievement.

Teams we could have drawn included Sevilla, Atalanta, Feyenoord, Burnley, RB Leipzig, Olympiakos, Bordeaux, Zenit, Besiktas, Braga.

We absolutely got good fortune with the draw. Doesn't mean it was easy, but it could have been a whole lot worse. We need some good fortune again this season to make the groups.

wasnt Maribor the 3rd round and Ufa the 4th?

Yea, but by beating them we stole Maribor’s seeding for the 4th round which is the point of the post.

It’s because the draws take place before the prior round has concluded - the highest ranking is applied to both teams.. So in our route 52 teams are in round 3 and 26 make round 4 with 13 places up for grabs.

It would be an advantage in round 3 as an unseeded team to draw the 13th ranked team, as although on paper it’s a tougher tie than a 14th-26th ranked team, it guarantees you won’t draw a top ranked team (1st to 12th) in round 4.

Last year we had that luck in the draw - although the teams were still tough we could have had Zenit or Seville had we not taken Maribor’s seeding.

I’m confident we can make it - but if we get to round 4 and draw the likes of Valencia, Manchester Utd, Inter or Eintracht we would be up against it.

Russian side Ufa
Who are heading for the relegation playoffs this season haha.

Thought both they and Spartak were eminently winnable ties and wouldn't be too disappointed in drawing Russian teams in the future.

The domestic quality here is pretty weak and they play a laboured style of football which our pressing would show up well against.

Who are heading for the relegation playoffs this season haha.

Thought both they and Spartak were eminently winnable ties and wouldn't be too disappointed in drawing Russian teams in the future.

The domestic quality here is pretty weak and they play a laboured style of football which our pressing would show up well against.

No surprise there but there only in it due to the actual Russian Cup Winners not applying for a licence

No surprise there but there only in it due to the actual Russian Cup Winners not applying for a licence
Tosno were said cup winners. Won the cup whilst having their one and only season in the top flight then promptly went into extinction thereafter.

The Russian Gretna.

Cant wait for the European adventure next season. Im not getting my hopes up too high yet because a lot of good teams could be drawn against us in qualifying. However nobody in that list in round 1 r 2 should be troubling us to be honest.

I don't think we were lucky at all last year.

A Macedonian side in July in sweltering heat in round 1, a decent enough Croatian side in round 2. Maribor a team with CL experience in R3 and then a 10,000 circa miles round trip to a side from Russia?

All the while where we were settling in a new management team, new players and a turnaround of over 20 players?

We were pretty lucky. There was a lot of quality sides in the qualifiers last year. We definitely werent as lucky as you could be, but still firmly in the lucky side.

I'd prefer for us to get as many UK / Ireland based ties as possible, outside of drawing a Premier League club.

They'll be at a similar level of fitness to us, except the League of Ireland clubs who we should beat regardless.

A new chapter in our illustrious history is upon us, do us proud Rangers, group stages would be awesome. :)

I'd prefer for us to get as many UK / Ireland based ties as possible, outside of drawing a Premier League club.

They'll be at a similar level of fitness to us, except the League of Ireland clubs who we should beat regardless.

We seem to get a more central/eastern grouping -

Below are our possible opponents for the 1st round in the two seasons.

2017/18 - Red Imps (Gibraltar), UE Sant Julia (Andorra), FC Progres Niederkorn (Luxembourg), FC Zaria Balti (Moldova), S.S. Folgore Falciano Calcio (San Marino)

2018/2019- Progrès Niederkorn (Luxembourg), Široki Brijeg (Bosnia), Shkupi (Macedonia), Stumbras (Lithuania), Dunajská Streda (Slovakia)

We seem to get a more central/eastern grouping -

Below are our possible opponents for the 1st round in the two seasons.

2017/18 - Red Imps (Gibraltar), UE Sant Julia (Andorra), FC Progres Niederkorn (Luxembourg), FC Zaria Balti (Moldova), S.S. Folgore Falciano Calcio (San Marino)

2018/2019- Progrès Niederkorn (Luxembourg), Široki Brijeg (Bosnia), Shkupi (Macedonia), Stumbras (Lithuania), Dunajská Streda (Slovakia)
Think those groups are pretty much down to chance aren't they?

There was talk about UEFA regionalising the EL qualifying draw - I believe they did it for a few years before we entered but then decided to bin it for whatever reason.

Equally if we draw some haddies from Gibraltar or San Marino in the first round I won't be too worried either. Crusaders in the second round would be decent.

Think those groups are pretty much down to chance aren't they?

There was talk about UEFA regionalising the EL qualifying draw - I believe they did it for a few years before we entered but then decided to bin it for whatever reason.

Equally if we draw some haddies from Gibraltar or San Marino in the first round I won't be too worried either. Crusaders in the second round would be decent.
To be honest I've no idea nor do I think its common knowledge how these groups are determined.

Couldn't tell you if they were randomly picked by a computer or by nations or seedings.

Maybe @rangeral knows more?

To be honest I've no idea nor do I think its common knowledge how these groups are determined.

Couldn't tell you if they were randomly picked by a computer or by nations or seedings.

Maybe @rangeral knows more?

The groups the are done on the strength of the seeding location doesn't matter since it not really done on a regional basis, they try and balance as fair as possible as they can

There isn't any set rules

We were lucky with the draw and very lucky with the group we got and SHOULD have qualified from.

But you make your luck and beating Maribor meant we deserved to be seeded.

Gdańsk was previously known by the Germanic name Danzig. “To Danzig, we’re on our way” fits in better and we’d get bonus points for knowing about some of the origins of the Second World War!

We enter in the 1st qualifying round along with the two other Scottish representatives. The draw for both the 1st and 2nd rounds is either on June 18 or 19 and:
  • 1st round ties will be played on July 11 and July 18
  • 2nd round ties on July 25 and August 1
We will be seeded in the 1st round and are likely to be seeded in the 2nd round.

The draw for round 3 takes place on July 22 with ties played on August 8 and August 15, with the 4th round draw on August 5 and ties played on August 22 and August 29.

If we make it that far we won't be seeded in round 3 or 4, but we could 'steal' a seeding for the 4th round by beating a seeded team in round 3 (as we did with Maribor last year).

Round 1 potential opponents confirmed to date include:
  • DAC Dunajska Streda Svk 3.125
  • EL3 Svk 3.125
  • B36 Torshavn Far 3.000
  • Chikhura Sachkhere Geo 3.000
  • Torpedo Kutaisi Geo 2.750
  • Milsami Orhei Mol 2.750
  • Flora Tallinn Est 2.500
  • FK Liepaja Lat 2.500
  • Cliftonville *p Nir 2.500
  • Hibernians FC Mlt 2.500
  • KR Reykjavik Isl 2.500
  • Shamrock Rovers Irl 2.250
  • Siroki Brijeg Bos 2.250
  • EL2 Hun 2.100 - 3.000
  • EL3 Hun 2.100 - 2.500
  • Europa FC *p Gib 2.000
  • Connah's Quay Wal 1.750
  • NSI Runavik *p Far 1.750
  • St. Patrick's Athletic Irl 1.750
  • CW Mac 1.600
  • CW Mol 1.550 - 2.000
  • Petrocub Hîncesti Mol 1.550
  • EL2 Alb 1.500 - 2.250
  • EL3 Alb 1.500
  • Inter Turku Fin 1.455
  • RoPS Rovaniemi Fin 1.455
  • KuPS Kuopio Fin 1.455
  • Breidablik Isl 1.450
  • Stumbras Kaunas Lit 1.350
  • RFS Riga Lat 1.125
  • EL12 Lux 1.100 - 1.250
  • EL3 Arm 1.050 - 1.750
  • CW/EL3 Mlt 1.025 - 2.250
  • Gzira United Mlt 1.025
  • Trans Narva Est 1.000
  • EL2 Mon 0.825 - 3.000
  • EL3 Mon 0.825

Assuming we're seeded in the 2nd round, potential opponents include:
  • FC Vitebsk * Bls 4.375
  • Shakhtior Saligorsk * Bls 4.375
  • Crusaders Belfast * Nir 4.250
  • FK Ventspils * Lat 4.250
  • Stjarnan FC * Isl 4.250
  • CW Swe 4.180
  • IFK Norrköping * Swe 4.180
  • SK Brann Bergen * Nor 4.040
  • FK Haugesund * Nor 4.040
  • FC Vaduz * Lie 4.000
  • CS Fola Esch * Lux 4.000
  • Tobol Kustanai * Kaz 3.850
  • Ordabasy Shymkent * Kaz 3.850
  • Neftchi Baku * Azb 3.800
  • Sabail FK * Azb 3.800
  • Cork City * Irl 3.750
  • CW Bul 3.500

Once you get to round 3 all the 'big' countries start coming in to the equation so really goes down to luck of the draw.

Many thanks for that mate...July 11th...can’t wait...a friend of a friend had booked a flight to Baku at the beginning of the season just in case...might be a good idea to start looking at Gdańsk!

We are on the up and I think we should be able to reach the group stages again.

However another long season is a worry especially league wise, but we need the money!

Fully expect other Scottish teams to crash and burn at the first hurdle

Yea, but by beating them we stole Maribor’s seeding for the 4th round which is the point of the post.

It’s because the draws take place before the prior round has concluded - the highest ranking is applied to both teams.. So in our route 52 teams are in round 3 and 26 make round 4 with 13 places up for grabs.

It would be an advantage in round 3 as an unseeded team to draw the 13th ranked team, as although on paper it’s a tougher tie than a 14th-26th ranked team, it guarantees you won’t draw a top ranked team (1st to 12th) in round 4.

Last year we had that luck in the draw - although the teams were still tough we could have had Zenit or Seville had we not taken Maribor’s seeding.

I’m confident we can make it - but if we get to round 4 and draw the likes of Valencia, Manchester Utd, Inter or Eintracht we would be up against it.

Had we not taken maribors seeding we'd have been out because they would have beaten us, not exactly luck

Had we not taken maribors seeding we'd have been out because they would have beaten us, not exactly luck

If the draw was done after each round then beating Maribor we would use our own coefficient as normal meant we would be unseeded

The little bit of luck is the draw done after the 1st leg in QR2 & QR3 meaning we use the higher coefficient

Drawing Maribor was better for us as it meant we are classed as seeded
Drawing Ufa in QR3 would have meant been uniseeded on QR4 as their coefficient was lower

We enter in the 1st qualifying round along with the two other Scottish representatives. The draw for both the 1st and 2nd rounds is either on June 18 or 19 and:
  • 1st round ties will be played on July 11 and July 18
  • 2nd round ties on July 25 and August 1
We will be seeded in the 1st round, and it's touch and go whether we will in the second.

The draw for round 3 takes place on July 22 with ties played on August 8 and August 15, with the 4th round draw on August 5 and ties played on August 22 and August 29.

If we make it that far we won't be seeded in round 3 or 4, but we could 'steal' a seeding for the 4th round by beating a seeded team in round 3 (as we did with Maribor last year).

Round 1 potential opponents confirmed to date include:
  • Levadia Tallinn Est 3.250
  • DAC Dunajska Streda Svk 3.125
  • MFK Ruzomberok Svk 3.125
  • B36 Torshavn Far 3.000
  • Chikhura Sachkhere Geo 3.000
  • EL23 Slo 3.000
  • DVSC Debrecen Hun 3.000
  • Torpedo Kutaisi Geo 2.750
  • Milsami Orhei Mol 2.750
  • Honvéd Budapest Hun 2.500
  • Flora Tallinn Est 2.500
  • FK Liepaja Lat 2.500
  • Cliftonville *p Nir 2.500
  • Hibernians FC Mlt 2.500
  • KR Reykjavik Isl 2.500
  • Balzan FC Mlt 2.250
  • Shamrock Rovers Irl 2.250
  • Siroki Brijeg Bos 2.250
  • Europa FC *p Gib 2.000
  • Connah's Quay Wal 1.750
  • NSI Runavik *p Far 1.750
  • St. Patrick's Athletic Irl 1.750
  • Akademija Pandev Mac 1.600
  • Petrocub Hîncesti Mol 1.550
  • Speranta Nisporeni Mol 1.550
  • EL2 Alb 1.500 - 2.250
  • EL3 Alb 1.500
  • KuPS Kuopio Fin 1.455
  • RoPS Rovaniemi Fin 1.455
  • Inter Turku Fin 1.455
  • Breidablik Isl 1.450
  • Stumbras Kaunas Lit 1.350
  • KI Klaksvik *p Far 1.250
  • RFS Riga Lat 1.125
  • EL12 Lux 1.100
  • EL3 Arm 1.050 - 1.750
  • Gzira United Mlt 1.025
  • Trans Narva Est 1.000
  • EL2 Mon 0.825 - 3.000
  • EL3 Mon 0.825

Assuming we're seeded in the 2nd round, potential opponents include:

• Vardar Skopje * Mac 5.000
  • AEL Limassol Cyp 4.985
  • Alashkert FC * Arm 4.500
  • Radnicki Nis * Srb 4.450
  • Cukaricki Belgrade * Srb 4.450
  • Shakhtior Saligorsk * Bls 4.375
  • FC Vitebsk * Bls 4.375
  • NK Domzale * Slo 4.250
  • Crusaders Belfast * Nir 4.250
  • FK Ventspils * Lat 4.250
  • Stjarnan FC * Isl 4.250
  • CW Swe 4.180
  • IFK Norrköping * Swe 4.180
  • FK Haugesund * Nor 4.040
  • SK Brann Bergen * Nor 4.040
  • FC Vaduz * Lie 4.000
  • CS Fola Esch * Lux 4.000
  • Tobol Kustanai * Kaz 3.850
  • Ordabasy Shymkent * Kaz 3.850
  • Cracovia Kraków * Pol 3.850
  • Lechia Gdansk Pol 3.850
  • Neftchi Baku * Azb 3.800
  • Sabail FK * Azb 3.800
  • Cork City * Irl 3.750
  • Dinamo Tbilisi * Geo 3.750
  • EL3 * Isr 3.725
  • Lokomotiv Plovdiv Bul 3.500

Once you get to round 3 all the 'big' countries start coming in to the equation so really goes down to luck of the draw. The teams entering here that will be seeded are:

• Sporting Braga Por 31.000
  • Legia Warsaw * Pol 24.500
  • Eintracht Frankfurt ** Ger 24.000
  • FCSB * Rom 23.000
  • Feyenoord Ned 22.000
  • Espanyol ** Esp 20.713
  • Malmö FF * Swe 20.000
  • Partizan Belgrade ** Srb 18.000
  • Standard Liège Bel 17.500
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers**Eng 17.092
  • EL2 Rus 16.000 - 48.000
  • EL3 ** Ita 14.945 - 81.000
  • AEK Athens Gre 14.000
  • FC Midtjylland Den 14.000

OP updated.

Not too much to frighten us in first two rounds assuming we're seeded in the second - Lechia Gdansk looking one of the toughest potential opponents.

If we make it to the third round we could draw Wolves, Feyenoord, Espanyol, Eintracht, Feyenoord or Steau Bucharest which would be a bit more tasty!!

ps - re the 2nd round seeding it could come down to whether Hearts can beat Celtic. Aberdeen are ranked slightly higher than us.

Last edited:
I know it's not true however I'm not surprised people are getting confused. It happened last year with Aberdeen going in R2 and Gary McAllister was quoted as saying we'll have an extra two weeks off from what I read here.

People saying to basically chuck Europa League, need to focus everything on the league should remember, A) the financial reward on offer for reaching group stages and B) Highly beneficial for the players and squad playing against tougher opposition and the experiences those bring help massively when back playing domestic games, and C) the need to improve our co-efficient to help us be seeded into more rounds to increase chances of group stage football year in year out.

If worst happens and we don't win the league this forthcoming season we could really be doing with £££ to strengthen again in the summer to sign more quality players to enhance our chances of winning the title the following season. The sort of ££ we would get from Europa League group stage football.

Back