Europa League - 2020/21

Hope Motherwell and Aberdeen win at least a few qualifiers each, if every team contributes a decent amount and we keep playing like we have in Europe we will have an automatic champions league group placing in possibly 2/3 years.
This^. Even if it’s not a group stage entry. A play off round entry for champions league would be better than the 2/3 rounds we would need to do the now.

Also slight thread drift (apologies) what would the co efficient need to be to get champions league group stages auto entry

Also slight thread drift (apologies) what would the co efficient need to be to get champions league group stages auto entry

Need to be 10th for automatic entry

11th place can get it but depends on the title holder having already qualified for Champions League via their own League

The financials at the club won’t agree but I would take getting to the final round then dropping out.

Put all the concentration on the league this year. Playing Saturdays and winning while they play Sundays could have a huge bearing on the title. Especially if we keep racking up wins.

Bearing in mind we probably won't see ticket money I agree completely

11th place can get it but depends on the title holder having already qualified for Champions League via their own League

You’re pretty much guaranteed that almost every year as well though, very rare that champions league winners don’t qualify for it.

Hope Motherwell and Aberdeen win at least a few qualifiers each, if every team contributes a decent amount and we keep playing like we have in Europe we will have an automatic champions league group placing in possibly 2/3 years.

Sensible thinking. It'll never catch on.

Cheers for the info. That’s a long way off for us.
say our co efficient was to progress to 14th 13th ect what does that give us?

While I recognise the importance of the Europa League in terms prestige and certainly finance, it’s a distraction we could be doing without to some extent this season. We need to get back to winning ways on the home front and get back to CL business.

Cheers for the info. That’s a long way off for us.
say our co efficient was to progress to 14th 13th ect what does that give us?

Scotland are currently 14th and that may be confirmed tomorrow night if Basel exit the EL

11th & 12th - Champions Route Play-off round, 2nd place QR2 Non Champions Route
13th & 14th - Champions Route QR3, 2nd place QR2 Non Champions Route
15th - QR2 for both routes

Getting to 10th place or above is achievable but you have factor in the the other countries around Scotland as well

While I recognise the importance of the Europa League in terms prestige and certainly finance, it’s a distraction we could be doing without to some extent this season. We need to get back to winning ways on the home front and get back to CL business.

But how do you expect to win league and qualify for champions league without the funds we get from Europa?

They pretty much cover the expenses for a lot of our transfers.

Also doing well in Europe every season helps us play less qualifiers each year which means better chances of qualifying for champions league group stage when we win the league.

As long as the two of them get at least, but preferably more, than 4.5 points between them then we should match previous years gains. That is assuming that both us and them get to the group stages again.

Scotland are currently 14th and that may be confirmed tomorrow night if Basel exit the EL

11th & 12th - Champions Route Play-off round, 2nd place QR2 Non Champions Route
13th & 14th - Champions Route QR3, 2nd place QR2 Non Champions Route
15th - QR2 for both routes

Getting to 10th place or above is achievable but you have factor in the the other countries around Scotland as well
Cheers again.
11th 12th would be lovely but would need all Scottish teams in Europe doing well

The financials at the club won’t agree but I would take getting to the final round then dropping out.

Put all the concentration on the league this year. Playing Saturdays and winning while they play Sundays could have a huge bearing on the title. Especially if we keep racking up wins.
Most years I would disagree. But we need to win the league, end of. I would like us to concentrate on the league whilst they have euro trips on a Thursday.

Hi. Mr Selfish here...

As long as Rangers remain in European competition I won't be bothered at other Scottish clubs progressing too. I might welcome it even, but I hope popcorn and his crew bite the dust at the first hurdle regardless of what happens.

I don’t think we can afford to just dismiss EL participation. We should have a big enough squad to participate in the group stage. I would agree though, if there is a conflict, the League is the priority.

Most years I would disagree. But we need to win the league, end of. I would like us to concentrate on the league whilst they have euro trips on a Thursday.
Don't think it made too much of a difference. :)

Folks “not bothered” about European participation clearly don’t look at the annual accounts very closely.
Personally, as a Bear in his late 30’s - watching Gerrard’s Rangers dominate games on the European arena with such controlled and assured performances has been an absolute highlight in recent years.
Yep, winning the Europa in May will likely top April’s 55. :)

Don't think it made too much of a difference. :)

The consistency has been fantastic. The improvement in this season’s squad compared with last season’s has been key to keeping players fresh while keeping performance levels high. It also helped only having 3 qualification games in the Europa this season. You wonder with pressure easing on us domestically whether we can really turn it on in Europe now.

Back