Europa league draw - Home v Galatasaray or Split

I think it's a decent draw yes the 2 games will be tricky but I make Rangers just favourites in both ties. We are very decent in Europe.
I'd agree if the playoff tie was in front of 50k in Glasgow, I might agree that our chances improve but no chance are we favourites. Galatasary have a budget that hugely dwarves ours and have ex Barca player Turan, ex Liverpool and Dutch International Ryan Babel, not to mention a certain Radamel Falcao.
We are clear underdogs and rightly so, be another massive scalp.
We should be hoping Hadjuk sneak a result.

Turks never travel well.

Having said that, it's still Galatasaray (assuming both ties to the way we expect them too)

It'll be a tough game
I will always think back to the game v Fenerbahce at Ibrox when Rustu had one of our players (Mols?) sent off, when their player committed a bad foul.

Tough draw and possibly the hardest of all potential teams to be faced by any Scottish club I'd reckon in that round. At least we got the home draw..

I'd agree if the playoff tie was in front of 50k in Glasgow, I might agree that our chances improve but no chance are we favourites. Galatasary have a budget that hugely dwarves ours and have ex Barca player Turan, ex Liverpool and Dutch International Ryan Babel, not to mention a certain Radamel Falcao.
We are clear underdogs and rightly so, be another massive scalp.
We should be hoping Hadjuk sneak a result.

These players are all in their mid 30s and on the downward trajectory of their careers.
Galatasaray finished 6th in the Turkish league and their recent european record is very poor in recent seasons.

We aren't "clear underdogs" in this tie at all. They are still the toughest side we've faced at this stage under Gerrard don't get me wrong, but let's not give them too much respect shall we?

Looking at the draw holistically from a Scottish perspective, Aberdeen and Motherwell will likely go out but they’ve both done well to get to the 3rd round. Realistically, that’s probably their level and they’ve helped add points to the coefficient

Celtic have got a piss easy draw so will definitely be in the group stages. From our perspective, it’s a difficult 3rd/4th round draw for us but if you’d told us at the start that was our path to the group stages I think most would’ve been happy.

If us and Celtic manage to get to the groups, when you add Aberdeen/Motherwell points into the mix, it’ll be a good return for the Scottish coefficient

Looking at the draw holistically from a Scottish perspective, Aberdeen and Motherwell will likely go out but they’ve both done well to get to the 3rd round. Realistically, that’s probably their level and they’ve helped add points to the coefficient

Celtic have got a piss easy draw so will definitely be in the group stages. From our perspective, it’s a difficult 3rd/4th round draw for us but if you’d told us at the start that was our path to the group stages I think most would’ve been happy.

If us and Celtic manage to get to the groups, when you add Aberdeen/Motherwell points into the mix, it’ll be a good return for the Scottish coefficient

They want us out, We want them out.

It's been that way since I was a youngster.

These players are all in their mid 30s and on the downward trajectory of their careers.
Galatasaray finished 6th in the Turkish league and their recent european record is very poor in recent seasons.

We aren't "clear underdogs" in this tie at all. They are still the toughest side we've faced at this stage under Gerrard don't get me wrong, but let's not give them too much respect shall we?
Madrid and PSG hammered them away from home but only snuck 1-0 wins in Instanbul, that strikes me as a fairly decent side mate

Madrid and PSG hammered them away from home but only snuck 1-0 wins in Instanbul, that strikes me as a fairly decent side mate

We won't be playing them in Istanbul though.
Lets have a quick run through of Galatasaray in europe over the past few season.

2017/18 - Europa League - Eliminated in 2nd Qualifier to Osterlunds of Sweden. 1D 1L

2018/19 - Champions League - Finished 3rd in group, W1 D1 L4 GF 5 GA 8
Europa League - Eliminated L32 v Benfica D1 L1

2019/20 - Champions Leaue - Finished 4th in group W0 D1 L5 GF 1 GA 14

2020/21 - Europa League - Beat Neftci 3-1 in 2QL in Azerbaijan

That's 2 wins in 17 games. I'll grant you most of them were in the Champions League but they performed as you'd expect. Interestingly they were beaten by Porto home and away the season before last, and we know how our games against Porto went.

If we zone in on their away performances :

Lost v Osterlunds 2-0
Lost v Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0
Lost v Schalke 2-0
Lost v Porto 1-0
Drew v Benfica 0-0
Lost v PSG 5-0
Lost v Real Madrid 6-0
Drew v Club Brugges 1-1
Won v Neftci 3-1

Given our record under Gerrard at Ibrox, 1 loss in 16, I think we have a right to be confident against a team that notoriously doesn't travel well.

Of course this is all assuming we both come through the third round qualifiers.

Lets have a quick run through of Galatasaray in europe over the past few season.

2017/18 - Europa League - Eliminated in 2nd Qualifier to Osterlunds of Sweden. 1D 1L

That's 2 wins in 17 games. I'll grant you most of them were in the Champions League but they performed as you'd expect. Interestingly they were beaten by Porto home and away the season before last, and we know how our games against Porto went.

Lost v Osterlunds 2-0
Lost v Schalke 2-0
Lost v Porto 1-0
Drew v Benfica 0-0
Lost v PSG 5-0
Lost v Real Madrid 6-0
Drew v Club Brugges 1-1
Won v Neftci 3-1

Given our record under Gerrard at Ibrox, 1 loss in 16, I think we have a right to be confident against a team that notoriously doesn't travel well.

Their Euro record is very scum like and we don't fear them

Lost v Osterlunds 2-0
Lost v Schalke 2-0
Lost v Porto 1-0
Drew v Benfica 0-0
Lost v PSG 5-0
Lost v Real Madrid 6-0
Drew v Club Brugges 1-1
Won v Neftci 3-1

You've sold me!! Don't get me wrong I have confidence and faith we can navigate these next 2 games but it will and rightly so be seen as a scalp if we beat Gala

Willem II will be a test their front 4 Pavlidis, Kolhert, Nunnely and Ndayishime are all dangerous young players we will have to be at our best to keep them at bay

You've sold me!! Don't get me wrong I have confidence and faith we can navigate these next 2 games but it will and rightly so be seen as a scalp if we beat Gala

I agree. It'll be another big name to add to the list since Gerrard arrived. I'm not saying it'll be easy, we could well need extra time or even penalties to get through. I am however confident we wont likely lose to them over 90 minutes.

Back