Europa league draw

Whoever we are drawn against, we need a decent performance in the away leg.
We need to bring it back to a full, rocking Ibrox with a chance if going through. If we are 3-0 down it will be a damp squib.

Zenit
Sevilla
Barca
Sherif
Porto
Leipzig
Dortmund
Villarreal/Atalanta.

I’d be content with Porto, Sherif or Zenit.

However, I think we are away the first leg and are playing Dundee United away that weekend also - not ideal to travel to Sherif or Zenit.

Even the Uber optimistic I am, would be a bit worried about some of those sides. Does the association rule come into here, so Zenit can’t draw Spartak for example?

That also make things a bit more complicated.

This is exactly why I wanted to finish 3rd. We are not at CL level yet so most likely will be out.

I really fancied us to have a run in the conference league and be challenging to win it. We would have made more money this way with a few sell out Ibrox and racked up some more coefficient points along the way

A team like Dortmund would be a real confidence destroyer if they gave us the run around

This is exactly why I wanted to finish 3rd. We are not at CL level yet so most likely will be out.

I really fancied us to have a run in the conference league and be challenging to win it. We would have made more money this way with a few sell out Ibrox and racked up some more coefficient points along the way

A team like Dortmund would be a real confidence destroyer if they gave us the run around.

Truly bizarre. Would you rather finish 3rd in a Champions League group to parachute into the Europa because you might get an easier opponent than you would in the next CL round?

We got bonus points for finishing 2nd. We got 550k prize money. We get 500k appearance fee for the EL knockout round. We get the full share of TV money which is much higher than the conference league. There is every chance we could qualify for the last 16 and bag another 1.2mil prize money and yet more TV money.

You also have the momentum of once again qualifying for the latter stages of the Europa League. This improves the club's profile which will help attract better players and sponsors.

You need to look at the bigger picture. I'd rather make the last 16 of the Europa than as far as the semis of the conference.

Last edited:
The money isn't even that different either, they could end up with a decent cash haul . It's a joke
If we make the last 16, and they make the last 16 of the conference, we will have made 2,250,000 to their 900,000 and that's not including TV money. Nor is it including the prize money we got by winning games resulting in qualifying to their losing games resulting in not qualifying. Do you honestly not think that's a substantial difference?

A team like Dortmund would be a real confidence destroyer if they gave us the run around
Surely you want the club to compete at the highest level possible?

If we make the last 16, and they make the last 16 of the conference, we will have made 2,250,000 to their 900,000 and that's not including TV money. Nor is it including the prize money we got by winning games resulting in qualifying to their losing games resulting in not qualifying. Do you honestly not think that's a substantial difference?
How much do they make if we go out in the next round and they make the quarter finals?

They are owned by a company (Sheriff) that controls all private business in the area of Moldova they are from. Petrol stations, banks, super markets etc. They've been backed quite heavily financially. Still punching well above their weight tho.
A rival for the State Aid FC crown?

Back