Europa league draw

Fair enough. We'll get a good game, but would rather go deeper in the competition

I think it's just a matter of enjoying what you get. A glamour tie has appeal but the easier draw and progressing is just as good.

I think what we've missed as a support is the big teams (CL level) coming to Ibrox. Even though Leverkusen and a couple of others we've met in the latter stages of the EL have been fantastic sides, they're not the elite megaclubs.

I'd rather lose (if we have to) to Dortmund than Leverkusen for example.

On your original point, I'm past getting too worked up about seedings and the likes. It's not gonna change. We know what it's done for and it's just part of the competition. I don't know that any of the 3rd place CL teams are much harder a prospect than facing most of the EL group winners if that's the other option.

On your original point, I'm past getting too worked up about seedings and the likes. It's not gonna change. We know what it's done for and it's just part of the competition. I don't know that any of the 3rd place CL teams are much harder a prospect than facing most of the EL group winners if that's the other option.
If we get through this playoff round then we will play a group winner. There is also no group protection (only country protection) so we could get through this round then draw Lyon. :D

What's the script there?

Dortmund was still half full on Saturday but Leipzig was totally empty last night against Man City.

Saxony, where Leipzig is, 0 fans are allowed - be amazed if they go full capacity by start of March myself.

Dortmund can have 15,000 max, same all over unless the local authorities choose otherwise. Hamburg play Hansa Rostock at home this weekend, Hansa have 750 tickets (5%) and away end tickets can only be bought direct from HSV. This is one example of the rules:

The 2G regulation and mask requirement applies throughout the stadium for the entire duration of the match.

Easiest tie possible

Sherrif
Porto
Benfica
Zenit

Preferably one of the Portuguese teams or Sherrif, Zenit the worst case due to being an alright side and the travel.

Think we’re away at Tannadice after the first leg.

How the heck are Sheriff so good by the way? Beat Real Madrid, Beat Shaktar 2-0 at home and drew with them away. Beat Dinamo Zagreb 3-0 on aggregate. Beat Red Star Belgrade (who are strong just now). They were more comfortable than Alashkert too. They have performed better than we would have with those fixtures. Can you sign their scouts?

Do people want a glamour tie or the best tie to progress?
For me, I think a glamour tie would be nice but I'm always one for going as far as we can in cup competitions. However the league has to be absolutely the priority so I don't want any cup ties to be to the detriment of the league.

How the heck are Sheriff so good by the way? Beat Real Madrid, Beat Shaktar 2-0 at home and drew with them away. Beat Dinamo Zagreb 3-0 on aggregate. Beat Red Star Belgrade (who are strong just now). They were more comfortable than Alashkert too. They have performed better than we would have with those fixtures. Can you sign their scouts

They are owned by a company (Sheriff) that controls all private business in the area of Moldova they are from. Petrol stations, banks, super markets etc. They've been backed quite heavily financially. Still punching well above their weight tho.

How the heck are Sheriff so good by the way? Beat Real Madrid, Beat Shaktar 2-0 at home and drew with them away. Beat Dinamo Zagreb 3-0 on aggregate. Beat Red Star Belgrade (who are strong just now). They were more comfortable than Alashkert too. They have performed better than we would have with those fixtures. Can you sign their scouts?

In my view Sheriff are better than Porto and Zenit. No idea why folk think they’re the easy tie.

In my view Sheriff are better than Porto and Zenit. No idea why folk think they’re the easy tie.

They certainly aren't an 'easy tie' by any stretch but I don't think they are better than Porto. Zenit are probably a better team too but it's much of a muchness, whoever we draw we will be heavy underdogs.

They certainly aren't an 'easy tie' by any stretch but I don't think they are better than Porto. Zenit are probably a better team too but it's much of a muchness, whoever we draw we will be heavy underdogs.
I would say it’d be about a coin toss v Sheriff. Both around 66/1 in the outright betting. Nobody who drops in to the Europa League will be bigger than that

For Dortmund they would be about 1/6 to win the tie. They are current favs for the comp.

Wait and see anyway but wouldn’t be heavy underdogs v Sheriff.

I would say it’d be about a coin toss v Sheriff. Both around 66/1 in the outright betting. Nobody who drops in to the Europa League will be bigger than that

For Dortmund they would be about 1/6 to win the tie. They are current favs for the comp.

Wait and see anyway but wouldn’t be heavy underdogs v Sheriff.

On last seasons form I recon we'd beat a good few of those teams dropping down but we aren't playing anywhere near that level in Europe this season. I'd take a Portugese team purely for our record against those sides, Sheriff would be some away day mind it's a crazy part of Europe that. They come from a state not recognised officially by anyone but themselves lol. You may be right maybe heavy is the wrong classification but I think Sheriff would be favourites against us.

These threads always make me smile. In every other facet of our support of the Club the mantra ‘the Club comes first’ applies.

Start a thread about who we draw in Europe and the majority are focussed on what’s the best trip for them rather than what tie gives the Club the best chance of progression. Selfish.;):)

Of course Sherif Tiraspol is the best draw as it represents the best chance of progression. Every other club in the draw with us will, like Rangers, be hoping to get Sherif.
The only thing I would say against that, is getting the likes of barcelona, the worst thing?

They may not bother their backsides about the el. Lets face it, they're only interested in the cl and would treat it as a step down. They will probably make sure their league position becomes priority.

The only thing I would say against that, is getting the likes of barcelona, the worst thing?

They may not bother their backsides about the el. Lets face it, they're only interested in the cl and would treat it as a step down. They will probably make sure their league position becomes priority.
Thing is the EL offers them another opportunity to reach the CL.

Maybe so, but I would imagine they have a better chance through their league position.
Well that’s clear, odds on to finish top 4 at minute - be 6/1 area if they end up in Europa League. Don’t think they’d toss it off mind with how they’ve dropped.

Looking likely that Barca will drop into the Europa. I’d prefer to draw sheriff but there is probably not a better time to be drawn against Barca.

Would love a shot at Barca. They'd be favourites but I'd fancy us to make a good contest of it
You better believe we would!
We fear no foe, this is a very different Barca and we are a very different Rangers. I don’t even fear a mauling from Dortmund but do worry about Seville over anyone else for some reason.

Look it’s a free hit! Let’s enjoy it AND cause an upset

The goons will be mainly filtered out with the need for a brain criteria, passport, double vax, COVID passport, PCR test
150th year and a visit to the site of one of the greatest results in our History? Nobody could begrudge us that even with the odd Euro loonball
The amount of goons going to Barcelona would be a shambles. Absolutely do not want them

Back