Europa league pots (as it stands)

Realistically if worst comes to worst on Wednesday we should have no issues finishing 1st in these groups.

As much as not getting CL would be hard to take, I think we could go far again in the EL.

I must admit, there’s something really good about seeing Rangers FC in pot 1
I’d take Malmo, Ferencvaros and USG thank you very much.

Avoid Olympiakos, Betis and Nantes.

Is it true that if we end up in the EL and we finish first we skip the last 32 or the play off as they call it now and go straight into the last 16?

Im obviously desperate for the CL but silver lining is that if we could finish first in the EL and straight into the last 16, that would be very exciting again. A favourable draw or two and before you know it it’s the last 8 or the last 4.
Stop it, I just got goosebumps at the thought we could be a regular later rounds side in Europe

Realistically if worst comes to worst on Wednesday we should have no issues finishing 1st in these groups.

As much as not getting CL would be hard to take, I think we could go far again in the EL.

Typical Scottish football supporter as usual not respecting our opponents in Europe and downplaying the competition like it should be easy for us.

We lost home and away last season to one of the teams from Pot 2 and are not even a month out from losing 2-0 away to one of the teams in Pot 4 and giving ourselves a real battle to get through.

We barely got through the group last season!

"No issues finishing 1st". Completely delusional.

Feyenoord
Ludogorets
Omonoia

Would be my choice if it comes to it

I want the easiest group possible so we can rest players in the EL and concentrate on the SPFL during the group stages.

Best:

Rangers
Qarabag
Ludogorets
Silkeborg

Worst:
Rangers
Monaco
Betis
Sturm Graz maybe?

Fingers crossed for another good run.

Yup, could pick a tough group out of those pots if we were to land there and be unlucky.
This is why I was baffled about people laughing at Celtic for playing in the ECL and saying there's no chance of us being in it in the near future. It's entirely possible, there were some solid groups in the past years.

As much as I want us in the CL, I am not 100% certain we will get the job done next week. Solely based on the amount of players we have in the team that are still gelling.

If we don't manage to get into the CL, id like the easiest group possible that wouldn't have a major impact on our league campaign. I'd like the following:

Rangers
Rennais
Midtjylland
FC Zurich

Typical Scottish football supporter as usual not respecting our opponents in Europe and downplaying the competition like it should be easy for us.

We lost home and away last season to one of the teams from Pot 2 and are not even a month out from losing 2-0 away to one of the teams in Pot 4 and giving ourselves a real battle to get through.

We lost home and away due to being unprepared and being absolutely dung from the start of last season till a new manager came in.

USG gio got his tactics wrong by starting 3 holding mids. If you’re really saying if we had malmo and usg in our groups you wouldn’t be confident of going through?

Nothing to fear but we are in danger of underestimating just how big an achievement it is for us to get out of the EL groups. We've done it three years in a row, regularly overperforming and getting results against teams with higher budgets. I feel that any involvement in European football after Christmas should always be viewed as success.

Saying that, we're definitely winning the Champions League this season.

cant really be arsed with Thursday/Sunday games ……plus the drop in potential revenue

Anything less than the EL final again this year will be considered failure on here.

Nothing surer.
For me, CL qualification means it's a successful European campaign. (As long as we don't get humiliated in the group stages).

If we don't make the CL I'll be looking for at least last 16 of EL, but will be disappointed if we're out before the quarters.

Should definitely finish in at least the conference ;) There isn't a great deal of talent in that competition this year, we'd absolutely win that.

Are you taking bets on Rangers finishing first regardless of the draw given your confidence. How much?

There is no arguing that, under Gerrard, we were extremely poor in qualifying and the early part of the group stages last season. Gio came in and we went on to finish 2nd in the group and reach the final beating far superior teams to those we earlier lost to, which you strangely omitted from your post, playing some of the best football I've ever seen us play. USG away Gio got the team and tactics spectacularly wrong, he corrected it at home and we made history overturning a 2 nil first leg deficit for the first time ever.

There is a very good reason why we are going to either be a Pot1 EL team or the highest ranked Pot4 CL team depending on which one we end up in. We are far better and more consistent than you clearly think we are and the results, coefficient points and being the 33rd highest ranked team in Europe after just 4 seasons back on the European stage support that assessment. Yes, there are some potentially tough teams in the other pots if we get really unlucky with the draw. However, at the very same time those teams will be thinking the exact same about us and wishing the draw had been kinder to them too. If you are Monaco, for example, would they rather draw us from pot1 or Braga, Ludogurets or Olympiakos given the 4 teams recent history in the competition?

cant really be arsed with Thursday/Sunday games ……plus the drop in potential revenue

I'd rather compete in a tournament we had a realistic chance to win if I'm being honest. But I do understand the financial side of things. The CL as much as I want us to qualify next week just isn't our playground anymore. It isn't for any Scottish side.

My concern is the damage getting pummelled into the CL does to future qualifications / our coefficient.

I think we'll beat PSV btw but genuinely id look forward to the Europa if we didn't. I actually prefer the games in the Europa to watch, they're a lot closer. The CL is gonna have the same old teams in the latter stages

And if we finish first we skip a round and go straight to round of 16! Only downside is one less full house of ticket money.

If we had won the Europa league we would of been Pot 1 in the champions league. Imagine that.

To be honest I find that kind of ridiculous, how can you be one saved penalty away from being in the top pot in the top competition to where we are if we do qualify being in pot 4.

For clarity I know it's accurate I just don't agree with the system. Also, it shows the difference in the competitions when we're pot 4 for the CL but pot 1 for the EL, we have a great coefficient now but it's nowhere near the CL regulars.

If we don't make it next week, I would really like to draw Malmo and put that right, I also do believe we would qualify from our EL group, regardless of who we draw, still want to be in that CL draw though.

Back