Europa league profile

Southsideblueblood

There has been a debate re how much this tournament might interfere with the league. It does however ignore the profile and spotlight this puts on our talent. The value of our best players increases far more on this stage than in Scotland . Kent, Kamara, Barasic and Morelos become even bigger assets if we do well. And thumping a Dutch team 4 nil away from home makes far bigger headlines with scouts. Crucial to our business plan we continue to do well. Fantastic result tonight.

The money alone from reaching the groups will be massive for the club. Can’t understand folk that would be happy to go out.
I think it's important but it would probably be an easier loss to absorb due to no fans. We lose the rtv income come the group stages if we make it. It certainly won't be anywhere near the 20 million we made last year. At least half most likely but yes not to be sniffed at.

Financially what will it do for us this season ? Serious question.

If we got to same stage as last season it comes to around 10 million or so all in excluding ticket money.

Which is a big deal considering we still had 10 million deficit last time round in the annual report that had to get turned into equity.

Probably funds a lot of our signings because we’ve not really made a profit from a player yet.

The groups got us Kent last year ffs.
I, sort of, understand the argument for ditching it and focusing on the league. But, this year we're playing 3 games to get into the group's rather than 8. Surely that's advantage enough?? 02/03 was the outlier, every other year when we bomb in Europe the same is usually true of the league.

It goes:

League
Europe

Cups

Unfortunately, this team needs a cup to know what winning feels like. That to me, is where the anxiety regards Europe comes from.

As well as the additional cash for reaching group stage, don't forget the importance of extra co-efficient points.

Not that many more points improves our chances of being seeded all the way through qualifying making annual cash generation more likely than not, compared to the battle for qualification in this and recent years.

Our stock has risen immensely in Europe. The Turks will not be confident next week for sure, we will dispatch them of course.
When then Group draw is made every club will look at POT 4 and we will be the team that stands out most and the one they will all want to avoid.

Realistically we are a POT 2 side in the Europa League at the moment.

Our stock has risen immensely in Europe. The Turks will not be confident next week for sure, we will dispatch them of course.
When then Group draw is made every club will look at POT 4 and we will be the team that stands out most and the one they will all want to avoid.

Realistically we are a POT 2 side in the Europa League at the moment.

think if we qualify we will be pot 3 this year

We just need a trophy and this team will run riot. Also agree with your post.

I've said the same, the release it would give the likes of Tav would be immense, the pressure would all be dropped and they could go on and win 4 or 5 in the next few years

The groups got us Kent last year ffs.
I, sort of, understand the argument for ditching it and focusing on the league. But, this year we're playing 3 games to get into the group's rather than 8. Surely that's advantage enough?? 02/03 was the outlier, every other year when we bomb in Europe the same is usually true of the league.

It goes:

League
Europe

Cups

Unfortunately, this team needs a cup to know what winning feels like. That to me, is where the anxiety regards Europe comes from.

When it boils down to it though that's just psychological. What we have achieved in Europe, especially last season, the teams we have beaten, is much harder than winning a cup in Scotland.

So many were not bothered if we got put out,we need to be in the Europa for cash,prestige etc.
It also highlights just how corrupt our officials are when you watch officials from other countries.

I hate getting beat or knocked out at any level; domestic or European.

Obviously we cannot attend matches but I still want to see us up against the likes of AC Milan, Arsenal, Napoli, Roma, Benfica etc.

When it boils down to it though that's just psychological. What we have achieved in Europe, especially last season, the teams we have beaten, is much harder than winning a cup in Scotland.
I agree with the sentiment about Europe being harder. Although European opponents aren't as motivated by their hatred of us to raise their game. They are also less likely to kick us off the park and get away with it. Hence why we haven't won a domestic cup in Gerrard time.

The money alone from reaching the groups will be massive for the club. Can’t understand folk that would be happy to go out.
Prioritise the league. It's the most important thing this season.

Win that and you get a good crack at CL qualification next season (as well as all the other good stuff that come with it).

The Athletic published a great article on this yesterday. Outlined how much we might earn, and suggested that a routine of mid-week/weekend fixtures didn't have a negative impact (i.e. we only lost one of our last ten domestic fixtures following Europa League matches - and I think that might have been the filth after we played with 9 men against Ufa). Also made the point that we'd be able to bring in better players if we could offer Group Stage European participation.

So let's bring in a few more quality players and use the squad to fight on both fronts!

I can't get my head around folk being okay with being knocked out.

Players improve playing against better players and in unfamiliar environments.

For fans its great to watch us play in Europe because the games tend to be more open and entertaining. Plus we get two games a week basically.

For the club its raising our profile and reputation and obviously our bank balance.

The Athletic published a great article on this yesterday. Outlined how much we might earn, and suggested that a routine of mid-week/weekend fixtures didn't have a negative impact (i.e. we only lost one of our last ten domestic fixtures following Europa League matches - and I think that might have been the filth after we played with 9 men against Ufa). Also made the point that we'd be able to bring in better players if we could offer Group Stage European participation.

So let's bring in a few more quality players and use the squad to fight on both fronts!

Also lost last season after Legia when Alfredo was inexplicably left out the team after scoring the last minute winner.

In our RSC we were all so confident of victory but as soon as the team was announced there was a collective sigh of doubt. Sadly which proved to be right.

Anyway, back on point, I’m all for Europe and to hang in as long as possible.

For money and prestige.

I can't get my head around folk being okay with being knocked out.

Players improve playing against better players and in unfamiliar environments.

For fans its great to watch us play in Europe because the games tend to be more open and entertaining. Plus we get two games a week basically.

For the club its raising our profile and reputation and obviously our bank balance.
it's a losers mentality bud. we should be aiming to get as far as we can in every tournament we are in. it's what big clubs do.

Are the group stages this year home and away,or is it still just one leg with whoever is drawn first at home?

The club is already losing a good % of income due to Covid. Missing out on the group stages is another chunk of money we would miss out on.

The club is the most important thing.
Not denying that but from a playing perspective it's not a priority, i.e. for the majority of fans it won't matter if we qualify and then we fail to win the league this season. Domestic results will determine SGs future.

Are people honestly still trying to make the ‘it won’t be much different financially if we don’t qualify this year’ argument?

Honestly what planet are these people on

We need to enjoy Europe this year because we will not be allowed to win the league.

Currently we are not good enough to negate all the points lost by dubious refereeing.

Not denying that but from a playing perspective it's not a priority, i.e. for the majority of fans it won't matter if we qualify and then we fail to win the league this season. Domestic results will determine SGs future.
There is no guarantee we'll win the league by not playing Euro games,our form after these games is very good.
It's not the Euro games that damage us it's the cheating officials.

Good results means better coefficient means better seeding means easier the following year. Better coefficient also means possibly 2 CL spots, so the beasts will still get in when we win the league.

Totally agree with the sentiment that one trophy will lead this time on to bigger and better things. It'll also give the fans enough encouragement that it can happen. We'll never play as well as we did in that Final and not win. Things would be different, every draw wouldn't be such a crisis. European Football is a massive plus for us, experience, exposure, money etc...

We need to enjoy Europe this year because we will not be allowed to win the league.

Currently we are not good enough to negate all the points lost by dubious refereeing.

Yes, already there are a few points difference due to officials Steve.

At least in Europe we are treated objectively.

I think it's important but it would probably be an easier loss to absorb due to no fans. We lose the rtv income come the group stages if we make it. It certainly won't be anywhere near the 20 million we made last year. At least half most likely but yes not to be sniffed at.
There must be away around this and it's something UEFA should be looking at as a matter of priority.

How hard can it be to allow clubs to sell tv packages in place of matchday packages in the same numbers as there are season ticket holders? Season ticket holders get first go at watching on RTV then a public sale. Remember those who buy tickets for games would not be watching on BT so wouldn't really affect the viewing figures.

It would not provide the same level of income but would be a welcome addition to the coffers - obviously getting there first is key.

Back