Europa League Squad and Rules

Disco Deejay

A number of people have been asking about Europa League Squad Rules, spread over several threads, a lot of which isn’t accurate. so I thought I would spend a bit of time researching and listing the Rules, for ease of reference.

I’ll add in how UEFA distribute Europa League money in a subsequent post.

Champions/Europa League squad rules

According to UEFA.com, every club must submit two lists of players to the SFA by an official UEFA deadline, whether they are in the Champions League or Europa League. (I’ve listed deadline dates further down).

The lists, which include squad numbers, will be verified, validated and forwarded on to UEFA by the SFA before each club’s European squad is published. When submitting the lists, they will be sent to the SFA named ‘List A’ and ‘List B’.

What is a ‘List A’ player?

According to UEFA, a maximum of 25 players including a minimum of two goalkeepers can be registered to this list. Eight places on the list are reserved for ‘Locally Trained Players’.
If a club cannot count on the services of at least two goalkeepers registered on List A because of long-term injury or illness then they can select a temporary replacement.
UEFA say that if a club has fewer than eight locally-trained players in their squad, then the maximum number of players on List A is reduced accordingly.

A ‘Locally Trained Player’ falls into two categories:

1. A Club Trained Player - This is a player who has been on the club’s book for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

2. Association Trained Players - This is for players who were on the books of another club, in the same Association, for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

No club can have more than four association-trained players among their eight nominees on List A.

So, what is a ‘List B’ player?

UEFA say that a player can be registered as List B if he is born on, or after, January 1 1996 and has been eligible to play for the club concerned for an uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday.
A player who is aged 16 may be registered, even if for the previous two years they were registered with other clubs.
Clubs are entitled to register an unlimited number of players on List B during the season, but the list must be submitted before a deadline on the day before a matchday.

Can clubs change their squads again this season?

If a club gets through to the knock-out stages, they will be able to make changes to their squad ahead of the round of 16.
A club will be able to register a maximum of three new players before the deadline, but the limit will remain at 25 players.

Any limitations on who is added?

UEFA say that players can be added if they have played in qualifying for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League, but only one of the potential three new players can have played in the UEFA Europa League group stage.
Players cannot represent two clubs in the UEFA Champions League from the group stage onwards.

List A – Non Locally Trained Players

13. Wesley FODERINGHAM – GK
25. Jak ALNWICK – GK
2. James TAVERNIER
6. Connor GOLDSON
14. Lee HODSON
15. Jon FLANAGAN
19. Nikola KATIC
3. Declan JOHN
10. Ovie EJARIA
11. Josh WINDASS
18. Jordan ROSSITER
21. Daniel CANDEIAS
20. Alfredo MORELOS
40. Glenn MIDDLETON

List A – Locally Trained Players

1. Allan McGREGOR – GK – Club Trained
4. Graham DORRANS – Assoc Trained
8. Ryan JACK – Assoc Trained
16. Andy HALLIDAY – Assoc Trained
37. Scott ARFIELD – Assoc Trained
22. Greg DOCHERTY – Assoc Trained
7. Jamie MURPHY – Assoc Trained

*** Unfortunately, only 4 of the above Association Trained Players count towards the 8 Locally Trained players permitted. As we only have 1 Club Trained Player, we lose out on 3 spaces and are only permitted to have 22 players in our squad, rather than 25. We currently have 21 players in the squad, so if we add Sadiq and Coulibaly, someone will have to be removed. The same goes for any additional signings, unless we transfer anyone out. Interesting to note that even though we currently have 1 space free in our List ‘A’, neither Lee Wallace, Harry Forrester, Fabio Cordoso nor Eduardo Herrera have been listed.

List B players

28. Robby McCRORIE – GK
43. Kieran WRIGHT – GK
55. Brian KINNEAR – GK
60. Nicky HOGARTH – GK
17. Ross McCRORIE
24. Aidan WILSON
30. Kyle BRADLEY
46. Rhys BREEN
47. Jack THOMPSON
48. Scott GRAY
49. Jordan HOUSTON
51. Lewis MAYO
56. Daniel FINLAYSON
61. Jay MACK
65. Nathan PATTERSON
68. Murray MILLER
69. Kyle McCLELLAND
27. Stephen KELLY
29. Zak RUDDEN
33. Jamie BARJONAS
39. Liam BURT
53. Cameron PALMER
57. Zac BUTTERWORTH
58. Kieran McKECHNIE
63. Ben WILLIAMSON
64. Josh McPAKE
44. Andrew DALLAS
54. Matthew SHIELS
62. Adedapo AWOKOYA-MEBUDE

List A has to be submitted online by the following fixed deadlines:

21 June 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the preliminary round;
6 July 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the first qualifying round;
20 July 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the second qualifying round;
3 August 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the third qualifying round;
17 August 2018 (24.00CET) for all matches in the play-offs;
3 September 2018 (24.00CET) for all further matches from the first match in the group stage up to and including the final.

For the qualifying phase and the play-offs, a club may register a maximum of two new eligible players on List A after the above-mentioned deadlines, provided the quota of locally trained players is respected. Such registration must be completed by 24.00CET on the day before the relevant first-leg match and the club’s association must confirm in writing that the new player is eligible to play at domestic level at this time. ***(I'm assuming that since we only have 1 Club Trained Player in our 'List 'A', we haven't met the 'Locally Trained Players' quota and this has prevented us from adding Sadiq and Coulibaly to the squad after the initial deadline date).

If the registration of such a new player causes the number of players on List A to exceed 25, the club must remove a currently registered player to reduce the squad to 25 players again.

We still have a massive squad and need to trim it significantly , hopefully before the window shuts big Herrera , Cardoso , Forrester , Wallace, Halliday , can be transferred out free up wages and get some money in .

Obviously it will depend on how far we progress, but if we can make the Group Stages (or beyond) the number of Euros received mounts up considerably.

Share for clubs participating in UEFA Europa League (group stage onwards)

Forecast amounts (total €560m)

The net amount available to participating clubs will be split into four different pillars:
• 25% will be allocated to the starting fees (€140m).
• 30% will be allocated to the performance-related fixed amounts (€168m).
• 15% will be distributed on the basis of ten-year performance-based coefficient rankings (€84m).
• 30% will be allocated to variable amounts (market pool) (€168m).

Starting fees (€140m)
Each of the 48 clubs that qualify for the group stage can expect to receive a group stage allocation of €2.92m.

Fixed amounts (€168m)
Group stage performance bonuses will be paid for each match: €570,000 per win and €190,000 per draw. Undistributed amounts (€190,000 per draw) will be pooled and redistributed among the clubs playing in the group stage in amounts proportionate to their number of wins.

The group winners can expect to receive a qualification bonus of €1m each and the runners-up €500,000 each.

The clubs that qualify for the knockout stage can expect to pick up the following amounts:
• qualification for the round of 32; €500,000 each
• qualification for the round of 16: €1.1m each
• qualification for the quarter-finals: €1.5m each
• qualification for the semi-finals: €2.4m each
• qualification for the final: €4.5m each
• The UEFA Europa League winners can expect to collect an additional €4m.

The two clubs that qualify for the 2018 UEFA Super Cup can each expect to receive €3.5m, with the winners receiving an additional €1m.

Coefficient ranking (€84m)
On the basis of the new ten-year ranking, a ranking table has been established and the total amount of €84m has been divided into 'coefficient shares', each worth €71,430. The lowest-ranked team will receive one share (€71,430). One share will be added to every rank and so the highest-ranked team will receive 48 shares (€3.42m).

This ranking can be found on UEFA.com

Market pool (€168m)
The estimated available amount of €168m will be distributed according to the proportional value of each TV market represented by the clubs taking part in the UEFA Europa League (group stage onwards). The different market shares will be split among the clubs participating from a given association.

The various amounts distributed from the market pool on a club-by-club basis depend on five factors:

1) the actual final amount in the market pool
2) the composition of the field of clubs participating in the 2018/19 UEFA Europa League
3) the number of clubs from any given association competing in the 2018/19 UEFA Europa League
4) the results of each competing club in the previous season's domestic competitions
5) the performance of each club in the 2018/19 UEFA Europa League

Solidarity payments

Solidarity payments for the qualifying phase of the UEFA club competitions

Under the new distribution system, €107.5m will be distributed to the clubs as follows:

UEFA Europa League – champions and main paths
Each club participating in the qualifying rounds will receive the following amounts per round played:
• preliminary round – €220,000
• first qualifying round – €240,000
• second qualifying round – €260,000
• third qualifying round – €280,000
• play-offs – €300,000 (eliminated clubs only). No solidarity payment will be made to the winners of this round. However, they will retain the payments received for the preliminary, first, second and third qualifying rounds, as applicable.

Solidarity payments to clubs that do not qualify for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League

The solidarity payments to non-participating clubs via their national associations and/or leagues will represent 4% of the overall gross revenues of the two competitions.

A forecast total of €130m will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues for their clubs.

In terms of how the squad is constructed can I get you to clarify for me @Disco Deejay .

Firstly, your List A squad is a maximum of 25, and should include up to 4 club-trained players and 4 Association-trained players. If you can’t meet those targets you are penalised accordingly. As we only have McGregor as a club-trained option that means our maximum squad size is reduced to 22 (we are 3 short in other words). Our younger club-trained players, such as the McCrories are on our List B and we can use as many of them as we choose, so don’t need to include them in our List A. Am I correct so far?

Secondly, since for the qualifying rounds we can change the makeup of our List A squad round-by-round I see little point in including medium to long term injured players in it, e.g. Rossiter and Dorrans, who are unlikely to play against Osijek.

I don’t see it as a problem for this round, therefore, and we should - if we choose - be able to include some of the later signings. For example, the following list is only 21 players, so room to add 1 more and be within our 22 man limit due to the lack of club-trained players. There are even some you could leave out to free up further slots, for example Foderingham, Hodson and even Docherty who don’t look like they will be used. Bear in mind we can use the u21 players, such as both McCrorie’s, who don’t need to be included in this list. Given some of the new lads may not be up to speed yet I don’t think our problem is who we leave out of our List A - it’s finding enough quality to include to see us through the tie.

Seeing the names listed does highlight our lack of quality in depth, particularly middle to front.:(

McGregor (club)
Alnwick
Foderingham

Tavernier
Hodson
Goldson
Katic
Flanagan
John

Candeias
Jack (Assoc)
Halliday (Assoc)
Arfield (Assoc)
Docherty (Assoc)
Coulibaly
Ejaria

Windass
Kent
Morelos
Sadiq
Middleton
Murphy (Assoc)

In terms of how the squad is constructed can I get you to clarify for me @Disco Deejay .

Firstly, your List A squad is a maximum of 25, and should include up to 4 club-trained players and 4 Association-trained players. If you can’t meet those targets you are penalised accordingly. As we only have McGregor as a club-trained option that means our maximum squad size is reduced to 22 (we are 3 short in other words). Our younger club-trained players, such as the McCrories are on our List B and we can use as many of them as we choose, so don’t need to include them in our List A. Am I correct so far?

Secondly, since for the qualifying rounds we can change the makeup of our List A squad round-by-round I see little point in including medium to long term injured players in it, e.g. Rossiter and Dorrans, who are unlikely to play against Osijek.

I don’t see it as a problem for this round, therefore, and we should - if we choose - be able to include some of the later signings. For example, the following list is only 21 players, so room to add 1 more and be within our 22 man limit due to the lack of club-trained players. There are even some you could leave out to free up further slots, for example Foderingham, Hodson and even Docherty who don’t look like they will be used. Bear in mind we can use the u21 players, such as both McCrorie’s, who don’t need to be included in this list. Given some of the new lads may not be up to speed yet I don’t think our problem is who we leave out of our List A - it’s finding enough quality to include to see us through the tie.

Seeing the names listed does highlight our lack of quality in depth, particularly middle to front.:(

McGregor (club)
Alnwick
Foderingham

Tavernier
Hodson
Goldson
Katic
Flanagan
John

Candeias
Jack (Assoc)
Halliday (Assoc)
Arfield (Assoc)
Docherty (Assoc)
Coulibaly
Ejaria

Windass
Kent
Morelos
Sadiq
Middleton
Murphy (Assoc)

Correct. The maximum for 'A' List is 25, but must include 8 Locally Trained. At least 4 of the 8 must be Club Trained and the other 4 can include more Club Trained or Association Trained. If we don't have 8 Locally Trained Players, our Squad is reduced accordingly. (At the moment, by my calculations, we have 6 Association Trained Players but can only include 4 of them, plus 1 Club Trained player, which leaves us 3 short of the required quota, so our maximum List 'A' Squad can only be 22 players (25-3).

There would appear to be no maximum number of 'B' List Players.

Our last List 'A' Squad was only 21 players, so if we add Sadiq and Coulibaly, 1 player will have to be removed.

I have pointed out in my OP, the rule that allows you to add up to 2 'Wild Card' signings after your initial List 'A' Squad has been submitted, but you can only do this "provided the quota of locally trained players is respected."

I'm wondering if a way around this is to transfer 3 youngsters (who have been with us for 3 years) from the 'B' List to the 'A' List, in order to fill our quota of Club Trained Players and increase our 'A' List to the maximum 25 players. We have 3 spaces in the 'A' List anyway, so it won't make a difference, but would allow us to use the 2 'Wild-Cards' option, as we would now be respecting the quota of Locally Trained Players.

Hope that makes sense.

Given the above, is there maybe mileage in the idea behind Charlie Adam?

Clearly missing a few home grown, club trained players.

Correct. The maximum for 'A' List is 25, but must include 8 Locally Trained. At least 4 of the 8 must be Club Trained and the other 4 can include more Club Trained or Association Trained. If we don't have 8 Locally Trained Players, our Squad is reduced accordingly. (At the moment, by my calculations, we have 6 Association Trained Players but can only include 4 of them, plus 1 Club Trained player, which leaves us 3 short of the required quota, so our maximum List 'A' Squad can only be 22 players (25-3).

Our last List 'A' Squad was only 21 players, so if we add Sadiq and Coulibaly, 1 player will have to be removed.

I have pointed out in my OP, the rule that allows you to add up to 2 'Wild Card' signings after your initial List 'A' Squad has been submitted, but you can only do this "provided the quota of locally trained players is respected."

I'm wondering if a way around this is to transfer 3 youngsters (who have been with us for 3 years) from the 'B' List to the 'A' List, in order to fill our quota of Club Trained Players and increase our 'A' List to the maximum 25 players. We have 3 spaces in the 'A' List anyway, so it won't make a difference, but would allow us to use the 2 'Wild-Cards' option, as we would now be respecting the quota of Locally Trained Players.

Hope that makes sense.

I think that is easily ‘doable’. Especially as your list included the likes of Dorrans and Rossiter who won’t feature against Osijek. Similarly Foderingham could easily be left out for McCrorie or even Hodson omitted.

Hope that makes sense.

We are respecting the locally trained quota by leaving the three spaces in our squad. We can add our wild card players as long as we leave 3 empty spaces in our squad for the home grown players.

We are respecting the locally trained quota by leaving the three spaces in our squad. We can add our wild card players as long as we leave 3 empty spaces in our squad for the home grown players.
That is my interpretation of that wording too. It doesn’t mean we can’t use wildcards if we don’t have 4 association trained players.

It is just trying to say that you are not allowed to swap one of the four for a non-association trained wildcard.

Hadn't thought of it that way, you could well be correct.

Like so many of these Rules, they are open to interpretation.

Still some reasonable money to be had if we can make it through a few rounds, especially factoring in tv and gate money.
Essentially, assuming I’ve read it correctly, make the playoffs and that’s just over 1m euro in prize money. Add in four home games and that’s probably another say £3m. Even going out in the third round we’d probably be taking down around £3m all in. A decent Bosman’s wages for 3 years.

Squad has been updated now.

Coulibaly and Sadiq IN, Hodson OUT

Ejaria, Coulibaly and Sadiq all in. Link to updated squad:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/clubs/club=50121/squad/

A List is:

McGregor
Foderingham
Alnwick

Tavernier
Goldson
Flanagan
Katic
John

Dorrans
Jack
Ejaria
Windass
Halliday
Rossiter
Candeias
Docherty
Coulibaly
Arfield

Murphy
Sadiq
Morelos
Middleton

Only 22 because we only have 1 club-trained player instead of 4. At least 2 of those will be unfit to feature - Dorrans and Rossiter, plus maybe Arfield. Docherty and Foderingham unlikely to feature due to speculation about their future. So its actually a squad of 17/18 - supplemented by youngsters, including Ross McCrorie, for example. I'd guess Robbie McCrorie will be third choice goalkeeper. Leaves us quite 'thin'.

All u21s are on the B List, including the McCrories. who may both be starting/on the bench.

Last edited:
That can’t be true? We entered about 6 last round

He means 2 'wildcards' per round. Can do what you like with the rest of the squad - provided they are registered before last Friday. Kent was signed too late for that.

@Ter I was only highlighting Ejaria to make it clear to folks we had three of the 'new' players in the squad.

Back