Europa League.

DaveC

A lot of talk this morning about leagues re-starting across Europe got me thinking about European competition.

There’s a meeting in a few weeks where they are going to set out a plan for finishing the competitions. A few weeks ago I would have assumed it was pie in the sky stuff but as more and more leagues are playing competitive football again is there a chance it could be pencilled in for July/august in some form? The chances of UEFA scrapping the competition are slim knowing how they work.

Just wondering what our stance will be. Potentially travelling abroad to play a game after not kicking a ball for going on 5 months is nonsense.

We were on an uphill struggle to begin with but if we have to play them with their league in full swing then we're on a hiding to nothing!

We were on an uphill struggle to begin with but if we have to play them with their league in full swing then we're on a hiding to nothing!

One thing that gives me hope is that they look absolutely dugshite. And the fact they might focus on the next seasons league which will be due to start. They'll be aiming for UCL again.

If Polster hadn't cost us a 3rd goal late one I'd have said we still had a chance tbf. Not now though.

we need Kai Havertz to have a unfortunate accident for a start, boy is insane

Reactions: cav
One thing that gives me hope is that they look absolutely dugshite. And the fact they might focus on the next seasons league which will be due to start. They'll be aiming for UCL again.

If Polster hadn't cost us a 3rd goal late one I'd have said we still had a chance tbf. Not now though.
Leverkusen are flying, got a shock result the other day but they’re one of the in form teams in that league. Don’t know what football you’ve been watching

How will the registered squads situation work? Thanks to the scum running Scottish football we no longer have our one that was registered for the Leverkusen tie.

UEFA plan to complete this season's Europa League campaign by playing every round from the quarter-final in one host city.

Getafe president Angel Torres has revealed the plans in an interview with Spanish radio as the Europa League remains postponed at the last 16 stage.

Rangers were beaten 3-1 by Bayer Leverkusen in the first leg at Ibrox on March 12 and no decision has been made on exactly what will happen with the second leg.

Getafe's Europa League clash with Inter Milan was postponed due to the coronavirus crisis with Italy the epicentre of the pandemic at the time.

The Europa League Final was due to be held in Gdansk and the Polish city could be an option for UEFA for the final tournament.

The Champions League is set to go down the same route with the final set for Istanbul in Turkey.

Torres told Cadena COPE: "UEFA's idea is to play the Champions League and Europa League, starting from the quarter-finals, across one match in one venue although nothing has been confirmed yet.

"They will come to a decision on June 17 (when the executive committee meets)."

UEFA said: "A working group has been set up with the participation of representatives from the leagues and clubs to examine calendar solutions and format options that would allow for the completion of the current season.

"A variety of options are being looked at and no decisions have been made at this stage."

As well as the second legs of the Europa League games, four Champions League ties still need to be played while Atletico Madrid, Paris St Germain, Atalanta and RB Leipzig have already booked their places in the last eight.

Europa League fixtures to be played
Getafe vs Inter Milan
Shakhtar Donetsk vs Wolfsburg (2-1 first leg)
Bayer Leverkusen vs Rangers (3-1 first leg)
Wolves vs Olympiacos (1-1 first leg)
Manchester United vs LASK (5-0 first leg)
Basel vs Frankfurt (3-0 first leg)
Roma vs Sevilla
Copenhagen vs Istanbul Basaksehir (1-0 first leg)

Champions League fixtures to be played
Juventus vs Lyon (0-1 first leg)
Man City vs Real Madrid (2-1 first leg)
Bayern vs Chelsea (3-0 first leg)
Barcelona vs Napoli (1-1 first leg)

Comments like that give me the absolute fear about the return of match day threads

What Leverkusen have you been watching?? :oops: :oops:

Look absolutely shocking imo. Especially yesterday. Offered nothing and got a flukey goal. Got shredded a few times too. plus the bad result midweek where again they looked a bit clueless. Might have just been Frieburgs style; very dogged. Plus, of Havertz gets injured they'll have very few quality attacking options.

Leverkusen were serious contenders for winning the thing never mind now with them
More up to speed than opposition. As above they’ve been in good form , shock result the other day against a decent Wolfsburg team. I’m always optimistic though, will be interesting to see the outcome of these meetings regardless.

Look absolutely shocking imo. Especially yesterday. Offered nothing and got a flukey goal. Got shredded a few times too. plus the bad result midweek where again they looked a bit clueless. Might have just been Frieburgs style; very dogged. Plus, of Havertz gets injured they'll have very few quality attacking options.
They pummelled gladbach without breaking sweat from what I seen the other day. Against Wolfsburg they offered nothing atall though.

They pummelled gladbach without breaking sweat from what I seen the other day. Against Wolfsburg they offered nothing atall though.

No doubt; as I say it's the last two games they have been awful. It's gives me a bit of hope. With luck they might still be fighting for a UCL spot and might focus on that rather than the EL.

I was thinking about this the other day.

If we were to win a little Europa Cup mini-tournament.... bringing a European title* to Scotland, improving the UEFA country co-efficient and getting automatic access to the group stages of next seasons Champions League........

What percentage of the staff running the SPFL and SFA would be absolutely gutted?

Leverkusen are flying, got a shock result the other day but they’re one of the in form teams in that league. Don’t know what football you’ve been watching

A shock result? Here's me thinking you only got L / D / W.

This super dooper mighty team didn't by anychance get thumped 4-1 did they? And if so, it wasn't by a gash as anything, mid table side where 6th-15th are separated by a couple points?

As you said Herbie "Don’t know what football you’ve been watching."

No doubt; as I say it's the last two games they have been awful. It's gives me a bit of hope. With luck they might still be fighting for a UCL spot and might focus on that rather than the EL.
Alternatively they may think realistically they are 5 games from a European trophy which guarantees champions league qualification so I think they’ll be going strong on both fronts tbh.

And what do the squad do on returning to 14 days quarantine? You think krankie is waving that for us? ( I know it’s a UK thing but you think they bastards won’t get involved? )

Have you ever seen an organisation so desperate for the tv money.

All this is a complete nonsence as far as I'm concerned. What should have really happened at the start of all this was void all competitions or award places on whatever rules. No, they have sat back and watched countries doing their own thing.

This has now degenerated into farce. At the beginning somebody posted that the germans were all for finishing the leagues calling them void and finishing on positions. This I agreed with, but obviously tv companies have had there say and now we have this mess.

Until crowds are allowed it's a false game as far as I'm concerned.

Granted they haven’t been great the past two games but they were brilliant before and had won like 14 games on the bounce. They are a very good team

What’s the policy if we need to go to Germany. If our leagues started will we get time off from domestic fixtures if the 14 day quarantine is in place.

Oh dear

Thought they were going to have a knock out mini league in the same city over a week??

I was thinking about this the other day.

If we were to win a little Europa Cup mini-tournament.... bringing a European title* to Scotland, improving the UEFA country co-efficient and getting automatic access to the group stages of next seasons Champions League........

What percentage of the staff running the SPFL and SFA would be absolutely gutted?

Rangers surely hold the record for the club with the longest European run in history?

46 weeks & 4 days thus far.
Apart from the fact we aren't because of the first one taking a couple of years, you could argue that Real Madrid would hold that accolade having not exited Europe for the best part of 6 seasons (at a guess)

These countries that rightly dont want to admit UK citizens/residents while Corona is still so prevalent here gonna make exceptions for footballers?

A shock result? Here's me thinking you only got L / D / W.

This super dooper mighty team didn't by anychance get thumped 4-1 did they? And if so, it wasn't by a gash as anything, mid table side where 6th-15th are separated by a couple points?

As you said Herbie "Don’t know what football you’ve been watching."
So by that logic, Hamilton beating us 1-0 at Ibrox wasn’t a shock because “here’s me thinking you only got L / D / W”

Talking some amount of shite. A team who have scored 11 goals in their last 4 away games in the most contested league in Europe are shite.. you’ve had a bit too much sun by the looks of it

So by that logic, Hamilton beating us 1-0 at Ibrox wasn’t a shock because “here’s me thinking you only got L / D / W”

Talking some amount of shite. A team who have scored 11 goals in their last 4 away games in the most contested league in Europe are shite.. you’ve had a bit too much sun by the looks of it

You said that Leverkusen were flying. You insinuated we've no chance.

They got beat 4-1 by one of the average teams in the league, Wolfsburg. Flying are they aye?

No need for tacky insults because I'm correct.

You said that Leverkusen were flying. You insinuated we've no chance.

They got beat 4-1 by one of the average teams in the league, Wolfsburg. Flying are they aye?

No need for tacky insults because I'm correct.
Insinuated we’ve no chance? By correcting someone who acted as though they are a team to be taken lightly? They had a bad result against Wolfsburg who by all accounts are under performing this season - similarly when we were beaten by Hearts, so to use your logic again, because bottom of the table hearts beat us we’re shite?

Leverkusen are flying this season, here’s an example, in the last 12 games Leverkusen are second in the league, in form, behind Bayern and ahead of Dortmund (who are title challengers) and because they’ve had 2 dodgy results they’re shite? As I said, don’t know what football you’ve been watching, if any at all

You’ve had an absolute howler here

Can't possibly be fair that we've to play a team who are still playing league football while we are not even allowed to train. They can't just kick off the remaining ties when possible because some teams will have huge advantages over others. More practical solution needed perhaps a new format mini tournament with remaining teams. All the first leg ties should be scrapped for a start.

It's being reported today that the most likely scenario is that the Europa League and Champions League will be completed in a "blitz" of games over two weeks in Lisbon in August. We'll see.

It's a free hit. Stranger things have happened in football, especially as the pressure is off.

Can only hope they rest players to try and get the top 4 spot in bundesliga to confirm CL spot

Back