Europa League

Struths Canary

Hi

Is it 3rd place team plays 3rd place CL team dropping down, or 2nd place? And does 3rd place drop into Conference automatically? And if 2nd place loses to CL team do they go to Conference or are they out?

2nd place EL plays 3rd place CL

3rd place EL plays second place Conference

If 2nd place loses the playoff then they're out

Hi

Is it 3rd place team plays 3rd place CL team dropping down, or 2nd place? And does 3rd place drop into Conference automatically? And if 2nd place loses to CL team do they go to Conference or are they out?
Yes you are out if you lose in the knockouts at all.

Basically 1st place teams in Europa and Conference get a pass directly to the last 16.

Then the 2nd place Europa and 3rd place CL play off to make up the rest of the EL last 16.

2nd place Conference and 3rd place EL play off to make up the conference last 16.

As much as I want to beat the racists we might be financially better not getting second and dropping into the conference and navigating a few rounds.

As much as I want to beat the racists we might be financially better not getting second and dropping into the conference and navigating a few rounds.

In gate receipt terms, absolutely. Would need to check the figures but not sure if the shortfall in prize money would be made up with say a couple of rounds in the Conference versus one in the Europa if we were to drop out at the first hurdle.

Tv money will no doubt be significantly less though. Also, I’d back us against pretty much anyone in the ECL but Spurs, Roma and Slavia could be tricky.

I’d rather progress to the next round of EL to be honest.

In gate receipt terms, absolutely. Would need to check the figures but not sure if the shortfall in prize money would be made up with say a couple of rounds in the Conference versus one in the Europa if we were to drop out at the first hurdle.
€200k a difference. Knockout playoff round for Europa is €500,000 Euros (additional €550,000 for 2nd place) compared to €300k for conference league. Last 16 in conference is half the prize money of Europa at €600k.

We aren't going to win the europa anyway and will most likely get put out in the next round or 2

This season is all about getting champions league next season so I wouldn't actually mind a wee run in the conference

Progress through the Conference League is probably more likely for us, but I feel we should be aiming to compete at the highest level we can.

We should be going all out to get the playoff round of the europa league.

Finish second and we play one of in a play-off to go through to the knockouts:

Club Brugge/RB Leipzig
Porto/Athletico Madrid/AC Milan
Sporting CP
Sheriff Tiraspol/Inter Milan
Benfica/Barcelona
Atalanta/Villarreal/Man Utd
Lille/Wolfsburg/Sevilla
Zenit

Finish 3rd and we play one of in a playoff to go through to the conference knockouts:

Maccabi Tel Aviv/LASK
Gent/Partizan
Glimt/Roma/Zorya Luhansk
Jablonec/Randers
Slavia Prague/Maccabi Haifa
FC Copenhagen/Slovan Bratislava/PAOK
Rennes/Spurs/Vitesse
Qarabag/FC Basel

The prize money for advancing further in the knockout stages is VERY similar

Finishing 3rd is better for us financially.

We aren't going to win the europa anyway and will most likely get put out in the next round or 2

This season is all about getting champions league next season so I wouldn't actually mind a wee run in the conference

See my post just now... I reckon we'd be more than likely put out at the playoff against the CL side.

3rd place suits us more, financially.

Club Brugge/RB Leipzig
Sporting CP
Benfica/Barcelona
Lille/Wolfsburg/Sevilla
Zenit

Finish 3rd and we play one of in a playoff to go through to the conference knockouts:

Maccabi Tel Aviv/LASK
Gent/Partizan
Glimt/Roma/Zorya Luhansk
Jablonec/Randers
Rennes/Spurs/Vitesse
Qarabag/FC Basel

€200k less for the knockout playoff round
€600k less for the quarter final
€800k less for the semi final.

Club Brugge/RB Leipzig
Sporting CP
Benfica/Barcelona
Lille/Wolfsburg/Sevilla
Zenit

Maccabi Tel Aviv/LASK
Gent/Partizan
Glimt/Roma/Zorya Luhansk
Jablonec/Randers
Rennes/Spurs/Vitesse
Qarabag/FC Basel

finish 2nd we will be pumped the next round hahah

Out of curiosity, do you know what the difference in TV money would be?. Not disagreeing with, just interested to see if it balances out.

Honestly not sure, not something I'd considered, to be honest!

This is a good overview: https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/

I guess the thing for me is Europa is a smaller chance at bigger money... but Conference is a higher chance at a longer run and thus maybe better overall?

Ticket sales wouldn't be anywhere near as healthy for the Conference League.

They weren't even at their healthiest for the Europa League.

Whisper it but if both us and the filth drop into the conference then we both have to be considered very credible contenders for going deep. Imagine drawing them in a two header where the winner goes to the final of a European trophy. Mental. Would be like River v Boca all over again o_O:))

I’m not so sure. We get to the last 8 of the conference I think an awful lot of the euro snobs turning their nose up at this competition will realise actually we can win this fucking thing so let’s go try win it and get our name on the trophy. We have no idea how this tournament will be viewed in 10-20 years.

The same blind arrogance and looking down your nose at it is why the home nations didn’t romp the early World Cups. What would scotland fans give to go back and change their decision to play in 1920-30s? I’d imagine most lament the decision taken then.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the difference in TV money would be?. Not disagreeing with, just interested to see if it balances out.
The split of the TV money depends on what countries teams reach what stage so will not be known until after the event.
I think it is likely that the EL will be considerably higher, more so than the prize money difference.
However I must say I am not entirely comfortable with the view of "better off in the lower competition".

Whisper it but if both us and the filth drop into the conference then we both have to be considered very credible contenders for going deep. Imagine drawing them in a two header where the winner goes to the final of a European trophy. Mental. Would be like River v Boca all over again o_O:))

Agree mate. Spurs and Roma are the only 2 big names there right now. Roma might not even get out of their group and the contenders for dropping down from Europa are:

Sparta Prague/Rangers
Real Sociedad/PSV Eindhoven
Legia Warsaw/Leicester
Olympiacos/Fenerbahce
Lazio/Marseille
Red Star Belgrade/Midtjylland
Real Betis/Celtic
Dinamo Zagreb/Genk

It's very winnable for any of the teams that drop down from Europa.

The split of the TV money depends on what countries teams reach what stage so will not be known until after the event.
I think it is likely that the EL will be considerably higher, more so than the prize money difference.
However I must say I am not entirely comfortable with the view of "better off in the lower competition".
Yeah I agree with all that, my point was essentially that financially I think it would be more beneficial to remain in the EL.

finish 2nd we will be pumped the next round hahah
Not necessarily. If we recapture the form of last season and get a favourable draw we have every chance. A number of those teams would put out a second string should they drop down.

No I do agree. Feels weird to be thinking it.

Long term though, coefficient and money trumps all... so if we can do better in those by being in the conference and not going out at the next hurdle for the EL... why not?

All if's and buts.

Doing pretty well in ticket sales for Europa League considering how expensive the tickets are. Bought my Prague ticket last week and could only see a few seats available in two sections of the Broomloan Rear. None available anywhere else in the ground at that time.

€200k less for the knockout playoff round
€600k less for the quarter final
€800k less for the semi final.

Had a look at the different possibilities and the way I see it it is:

Finish 2nd in group:
€1,180,000

Reach EL Round of 16:
€1,680,000

Finish 3rd in group:
€210,000

Reach EC Round of 16:
€510,000

Reach EC QF
€1,110,000

Reach EC SF
€2,110,000

So basically, if we lose the playoff against a CL side, i's €1.18m... if we finish third, win the playoff and then the next round, reaching the QFs... it's €1.11m

This is all on top of money we've already gained.

I would say we're unlikely to reach EL Round of 16 but more likely to get to EC QF?

@rangeral any idea how the coefficient would compare in those two scenarios?

Club Brugge/RB Leipzig
Sporting CP
Benfica/Barcelona
Lille/Wolfsburg/Sevilla
Zenit

Maccabi Tel Aviv/LASK
Gent/Partizan
Glimt/Roma/Zorya Luhansk
Jablonec/Randers
Rennes/Spurs/Vitesse
Qarabag/FC Basel

a wee trip to Portugal or Spain sounds great

2nd place EL plays 3rd place CL

3rd place EL plays second place Conference

If 2nd place loses the playoff then they're out
Iront being, if we want to progress in Europe beyond the next round after the groups, realistically we actually want to finish 3rd. I'll take as many wins as we can get of course, but with 1st out of the question, I'm happy either way so long as we avoid 4th!

I get the benefits of dropping out and progressing further in the ECL but I think as a club we should always have the mentality of finishing as high as possible and staying in the highest competition possible. Our players need tested against the best.

Also could you imagine the buzz of playing a Barcelona or Milan at Ibrox?

Had a look at the different possibilities and the way I see it it is:

Finish 2nd in group:
€1,180,000

Reach EL Round of 16:
€1,680,000

Finish 3rd in group:
€210,000

Reach EC Round of 16:
€510,000

Reach EC QF
€1,110,000

Reach EC SF
€2,110,000

So basically, if we lose the playoff against a CL side, i's €1.18m... if we finish third, win the playoff and then the next round, reaching the QFs... it's €1.11m

This is all on top of money we've already gained.

I would say we're unlikely to reach EL Round of 16 but more likely to get to EC QF?

@rangeral any idea how the coefficient would compare in those two scenarios?
Always depends on the draws though. We could get far in ECL but also a risk we get a snider of a draw and papped out.

Would love this to happen.

Back