Europe v spl

Corkinator

Why are we comfortable in Europe? Is it more space? more time? Confidence?
The squad look so at ease in these games and have done since Gerrard arrived.
I actually feel more comfortable than a regular spl game.

We get refereed properly.

It means our players don't have to think twice about how aggresive they play to win the ball back, etc.

The game also isn't stopped every minute when our player looks at the oppositition to keep the momentum of the match going.

Tactically, as you mention, we get more space, as the opposition actually play to win the match so it allows us to pass through the lines a lot easier and get attacks built quickly.

Europe plays to the squads strengths, we have found it difficult to break teams down who sit 11 behind the ball in the past (with the exception of this season). It just shows how good our players actually are with the right opponents. I would love to see what we could do in a harder league if it were possible...

It means our players don't have to think twice about how aggresive they play to win the ball back, etc.

The game also isn't stopped every minute when our player looks at the oppositition to keep the momentum of the match going.

Tactically, as you mention, we get more space, as the opposition actually play to win the match so it allows us to pass through the lines a lot easier and get attacks built quickly.
Some of the refs in Europe this season and last have been brutal aswell.

Our tactics and system stifle and defeat nearly every team we come up against in Europe. We must be miserable to play against: smothering teams, not allowing them to build from the back and normally winning loads of possession in threatening positions. We do this when teams are trying to win the game and leave players up the pitch.

We do likewise in the SPL but the teams there tend to already be set in their ultra defensive formations. It's notable that we almost never have one on one's with the goalkeeper in domestic games compared to Europe.

In Europe generally all of our opponents try to play the best they can, and try to win.

In Scotland, all of our opponents pretty much are incapable of playing football to a decent level, so resort to trying to stifle our game rather than try and outplay us for a win. Celtic aside, you’d imagine most teams go into games against us looking for a draw as some sort of achievement.

Numerous factors.
European teams try to attack and play football, which is an alien concept to most of the SPFL.
The way the games in Europe are refereed are different, a challenge that would merit a straight red in European competition is not even a lecture in the SPFL.

Yeah I do think referees are much better in Europe.
I genuinely believe this is why the National team has failed for 20 odd years, teams can play due to the hammer throwing that’s allowed in Scotland. If we were reffed to the same standard and consistency in Scotland as European it would make for a far more entertaining game. I do however think we would hammer most teams even more.

We get fairly treated on the park play against players not hammer throwers and get the decisions we are entitled to. None of that would be allowed in our league games.

We get fairly treated on the park play against players not hammer throwers and get the decisions we are entitled to. None of that would be allowed in our league games.
I have noticed a change in Scottish refereeing since around December last year.
They still have the same level of incompetence but this is now shard between both teamss. They even started awarding Rangers penalties after almost a full calendar without one.
Has the fact that Lawwell is leaving allowed them to develop a backbone?

Did you actually watch the first game against antwerp?

I wouldnt say we are more comfortable in Europe, we leak goals for fun there and not so much in league.

Yeah we are playing better teams but it could be a whole lot better

Esp shipping 4 while in front v Benfica and then 5 v Antwerp
Conceded 10 in these 4 games which is 1 more in 30 league games

This is it

We actually see a proper game of football in Europe, whereas in Scotland its like a completely different game .... which is ironic in that Scotland was the country that invented the passing game

EL teams come to play football against us, this in turn allows us to play strong attacking football.

Something we will rarely see in the SPFL unless it's in the last 10 minutes of a game.

I recall an Aberdoom game at Ibrox a couple of years ago where the keeper was time wasting after 18 minutes!! Hellish football!

Different refs and playing against people that can play football, not just there to try and do us over in anyway they can.

It's been mentioned plenty already but I believe the main reason is EL teams come for a go at us.

If SPFL teams come for a go they generally take a doing, so they come for a draw.

I wouldn't say we are more comfortable in Europe you just have to compare the possession stats etc.

In Europe we play against teams that have a go and our defence has been caught out a few times which is not happening domestically.

I think we are far more comfortable domestically.

Referees are a part of it. However the biggest difference is the pressure. Qualification for EL Group Stage is the key, hence the pressure against Legia and previously in Ufa. In the group against high class teams we can be more adventurous in the knowledge that this is a bonus for the club and positive results benefit the club. In the SPFL we are under a greater pressure. We are (or have been in previous years) always looking to match or better another club. We have to win every week, as do they. Also, we are playing teams with little or no ambition to come and play football, and therefore use defensive tactics to stifle better players.

Quality of European opposition is un questionably higher better tactically play a far more open and attacking style plus we are not playing them regularly like we do in SPFL

Much easier to play our style of football against a team that wants to attack. The majority of the spl just want to sit in and maybe hit on the counter sometimes.

We will concede because they're actually trying to attack us and have better players than we are used to. The goals against in the league and in Europe shows this.

Back