European Club Co-efficients

Superrangers

Was having a browse at Bert Kassies’ and another website and it just goes to show how farcical the system of coefficient points is and how much consistent mediocrity is better rewarded that genuine progress, if you have so much as a single season out.

The likes of PSG and man city who have done pretty much zero at the business end of either European tournaments are sitting ahead of Liverpool, who have made 3 European finals in the last 4 seasons. They had one year out of Europe which has had a huge effect on the coefficient, whereas the others mentioned have obviously gained points by winning matches in largely easy groups, only to them fail when the competition really gets going. Arsenal somehow also seem to be level with Liverpool bizarrely?!

From a Rangers point of view, it demonstrates that every single match counts and that we should be aiming to win both legs of our early ties, as it all has an impact on future draws and progress.

Overall though, the system is broken and needs overhauled.

Can you confirm if last years results are added to co-efficient right away, I always thought they were not added for start of next campaign. I’m probably wrong but I await somebody correcting me.

The thing that annoys me is the English teams who qualify for Europe for the 1st time in a generation waltz straight into the groups or are seeded all the way through the qualifiers as the country seeding comes into play. Basically ensures a closed shop
Yes, the country seeding aspect is not fair, nor is giving the champions of the top six leagues automatic pot 1 status. That’s a joke. It’s just protecting sides, as is the whole aspect of keeping sides from the same nation apart. Should be open draws, whether you are having seeding or not.

Can you confirm if last years results are added to co-efficient right away, I always thought they were not added for start of next campaign. I’m probably wrong but I await somebody correcting me.
Not 100% sure mate. In this day and age, with the technology we have, there is no reason whatsoever to not apply points immediately.

Yes, the country seeding aspect is not fair, nor is giving the champions of the top six leagues automatic pot 1 status. That’s a joke. It’s just protecting sides, as is the whole aspect of keeping sides from the same nation apart. Should be open draws, whether you are having seeding or not.

In my opinion once everybody has qualified it should be an open draw. If Bayern , Liverpool, Madrid and Barca are in one group then so be it.

It’s like the Euros where you are seeded in the qualifiers then seeded again in the tournament . The manipulation of fixtures is tantamount to match fixing

Co-efficient points gained the previous season are added to the clubs ranking the following season.

It's the country Co-efficient points that have the years delay. This is why Scotland fell down the rankings for this season, despite the best campaign (two teams in group stage competiton) in years last season.

From a Rangers point of view, it demonstrates that every single match counts and that we should be aiming to win both legs of our early ties, as it all has an impact on future draws and progress.

Not strictly true.
Co-efficient points in the qualifying rounds of the europa league are awarded by progress through the ties, not individual results of the legs.

At the moment :
Elimination in QR1 : 1 points
Elimination in QR2 : 1.5 points
Elimination in QR3 : 2 points
Elimination in PO : 2.5 points
Group Stage Qualification : 3 points

These aren't cumulitative. So say we get eliminated in the play off round, our accumulation of co-efficient points for the season will be 2.5 points.

It's only once you reach the group stage of the competition where you can earn co-efficent points per match. 2 for a win, and 1 for a draw. With the added cavaet you must earn the 3 co-efficent points automatically allocated by qualifying for the groups first before you earn any additional points.

We earned 5 co-efficent points in the groups last season through this system :

Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid W - 2 points
Spartak D - 1 point
Spartak L - 0 point
Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid L - 0 point

Our currrent co-efficent sits at 5.250. Indicative of being out of europe for 3 of the 5 years and what happened in Luxembourg.
IMO a strong season in europe is required to get our co-efficent up. This time next year hopefully we are sitting in the Champions League qualifiers. We face the very real prospect of being unseeded in every round as things stand.

If it was about real competition then yes it should be but as we all know it's not.

Biggest leagues=biggest populations=biggest tv revenue and sponshorship=more money.

In my opinion once everybody has qualified it should be an open draw. If Bayern , Liverpool, Madrid and Barca are in one group then so be it.

It’s like the Euros where you are seeded in the qualifiers then seeded again in the tournament . The manipulation of fixtures is tantamount to match fixing
Totally agree. Far too scripted. There is very little reward now for progression. Unless you win the Europa League or your domestic league, you can’t get into pot one?! There no way the EL winner should get right into pot 1, that’s a joke. By all means, have a qualifying place, but pot 1?! No chance.

I don’t mind clubs being rewarded for their efforts in previous years’ CL’s, still have an open draw.
Not strictly true.
Co-efficient points in the qualifying rounds of the europa league are awarded by progress through the ties, not individual results of the legs.

At the moment :

These aren't cumulitative. So say we get eliminated in the play off round, our accumulation of co-efficient points for the season will be 2.5 points.

It's only once you reach the group stage of the competition where you can earn co-efficent points per match. 2 for a win, and 1 for a draw. With the added cavaet you must earn the 3 co-efficent points automatically allocated by qualifying for the groups first before you earn any additional points.

Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid W - 2 points
Spartak D - 1 point
Spartak L - 0 point
Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid L - 0 point

Our currrent co-efficent sits at 5.250. Indicative of being out of europe for 3 of the 5 years and what happened in Luxembourg.
IMO a strong season in europe is required to get our co-efficent up. This time next year hopefully we are sitting in the Champions League qualifiers. We face the very real prospect of being unseeded in every round as things stand.
Really, thought every game counted, not only once you got to the groups?

We will face a good few years of very tough draws I fear, having been out for so long. Makes my blood boil when I think of the scum who tried to run us into the ground.

FIFA/UEFA are corrupt and they want to make it harder and harder for clubs from smaller nations to do well.

Van Der Sar's comments about Ajax were spot on. They won a domestic double and got to the semi finals of the Champions League - yet they still need to play qualifiers to reach the group stages. Absolute joke.

Didn't someone from FIFA (Platini maybe?) admit that back in World Cup 98 they rigged it so that France & Brazil couldn't meet before the final?

No, I know but it doesn’t make it right. It’s a disgrace that sides from the same country cannot meet until the QF stage.

No it’s a disgrace that clubs finishing 4th in their league get a CL place before National Champions. These clubs should have to do the qualifying rounds.

No it’s a disgrace that clubs finishing 4th in their league get a CL place before National Champions. These clubs should have to do the qualifying rounds.

Sadly it's how it is these days. TV audience and money is king. We all know the CL is edging ever closer to being a closed shop for the big countries.

Sadly it's how it is these days. TV audience and money is king. We all know the CL is edging ever closer to being a closed shop for the big countries.
I’m aware, but they will still get TV audience as they progress through the qualifiers.
It’s not right that a team plays 4 ties before earning 3pts when a rich club gets that for being vice winners in their national league.

TBH, I think UEFA’s end game with the CL is to have their equivalent of the NFL. No promotion, no relegation and the same teams involved year in, year out. That’s why the co-efficient points are skewed towards rewarding consistency rather than excellence, the addition of nation co-efficients to keep out the smaller nations and the extravagant financial rewards for just making it to CL group stages, which in turn makes it easier for those teams to out-spend their domestic rivals and be almost certain of qualifying again, and repeat.

Sadly you are correct, but if viewing figures fell dramatically then the system would be reviewed.
This would have to be in conjunction with member associations fighting back and getting more recognition for their clubs. Too many officials with money being put into their pockets!!!!
As fans we can at least start the fight by not watching games (obviously we would watch our on club) TV viewings figures go down advertisers take note

Whole thing is a fuckin farce.
The fact you can't watch a top flight domestic match and are forced to watch some utter shite cl game instead says it all.
Moneys ruined it.

Not strictly true.

At the moment :

Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid W - 2 points
Spartak D - 1 point
Spartak L - 0 point
Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid L - 0 point

so in essence you only get points from the qualifying rounds if you get humped rotten in the group?

so in essence you only get points from the qualifying rounds if you get humped rotten in the group?

If you make the group stage, you are guaranteed at least 3 co-efficient points. This is the "reward" for making the group stages.

In the group stage, once you have gained a win and a draw, or three draws (3 co-efficent points), any further wins or draws gain more points (2 for a win, 1 for a draw).

I know it's been said a million times, but you know it's a joke when the "Champions league" can include the teams that came 3rd or 4th in their league.

Last year's Semi Finalists Ajax need to play 2 qualifying rounds to make the groups, but Inter Milan, Atlanta, Lyon and Bayer Leverkusen who all finished 21 points behind their league winners are in automatically.

It's a farce.

I know it's been said a million times, but you know it's a joke when the "Champions league" can include the teams that came 3rd or 4th in their league.

Last year's Semi Finalists Ajax need to play 2 qualifying rounds to make the groups, but Inter Milan, Atlanta, Lyon and Bayer Leverkusen who all finished 21 points behind their league winners are in automatically.

It's a farce.

Let's be honest, Champions League is just the brand, "Champions" not meant to be taken literally.

Non champions have been qualifying for it since 1997.

Let's be honest, Champions League is just the brand, "Champions" not meant to be taken literally.

Non champions have been qualifying for it since 1997.

I do get that, and I know it's gone on a long time, but it's still embarrassing how "lesser nations" are treated.

Totally agree. Far too scripted. There is very little reward now for progression. Unless you win the Europa League or your domestic league, you can’t get into pot one?! There no way the EL winner should get right into pot 1, that’s a joke. By all means, have a qualifying place, but pot 1?! No chance.

I don’t mind clubs being rewarded for their efforts in previous years’ CL’s, still have an open draw.

Really, thought every game counted, not only once you got to the groups?

We will face a good few years of very tough draws I fear, having been out for so long. Makes my blood boil when I think of the scum who tried to run us into the ground.

Every game counts towards the country coefficient. It's why we need Aberdeen and Killie to at least get a few wins in matches before being put out.

The club one works as posted earlier.

Every game counts towards the country coefficient. It's why we need Aberdeen and Killie to at least get a few wins in matches before being put out.

The club one works as posted earlier.
%^*& that mate, Killie maybe now Clarke’s gone but I don’t want Dolly to win any game

%^*& that mate, Killie maybe now Clarke’s gone but I don’t want Dolly to win any game

That's your choice.

But I'd prefer a stronger position for Scottish football in Europe, and that needs some wins from those teams. Hibs getting a few last season made a difference.

Not strictly true.

At the moment :

Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid W - 2 points
Spartak D - 1 point
Spartak L - 0 point
Villarreal D - 1 point
Rapid L - 0 point

Very informative post thank you for sharing.

Back