European countries locking down, will football keep going?

Tagsbear

France and Germany announcing national lockdowns, Belgium in a bit of a mess.

Really hoping football isn’t effected because of the testing regimes in place as it’s the only thing keeping lots of us sane!

I suppose if work is continuing for the rest of us, then the same should apply to football?

In terms of Germany my understanding is that Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga & 3. Liga games will be behind closed doors and all football below that level won't be played at all (think it's only confirmed for Nov too).

Ridiculous if they stop it. Not just football, but it’s utterly bizarre how we are continuing to politically react to this virus. Lockdown on this scale just doesn’t work.

If hospitals are being overrun like they are in Belgium, where they are having to ask other countries to take patients, I’m not sure what else they can do to stop it spreading.

Actually I wish I hadn’t started this thread as it will become a mess, I was hoping it would just be about football rather than what works or doesn’t.

Be awful if it’s all stopped, April was terrible - keep hearing people saying how bad Football is behind closed doors but jesus life was awful in April with nothing to watch and then the Bundesliga being back on filled the weekends up. That was with good weather as well.

Same for lots of other Sports, can’t imagine Xmas without the Darts for example.

SKY/BT, advertisers and sponsors will dictate that elite football continues as long as possible.

They operate in fairly safe, clinical environments/bubbles.

That said, European and international football could/should be stopped.

It would be a total pisser for us if European football was stopped! I’m all for banning internationals though, and not just during the pandemic!

If hospitals are being overrun like they are in Belgium, where they are having to ask other countries to take patients, I’m not sure what else they can do to stop it spreading.

Actually I wish I hadn’t started this thread as it will become a mess, I was hoping it would just be about football rather than what works or doesn’t.
Yeah let’s not get into this, it’s exactly why Oxford and the others said the continuing strategy wouldn’t work but ehh yeah football no reason to lock it down.

I think domestic football will continue but European and international will stop. Difficult for any kind of control when players are flying all over the place.
Like you said it’s the only think keeping us going right now!

It's basically a "lockdown" on hospitality is it not? Think you'd know the answer already if the football was banned.

Most of us here have been expecting this for a while. It's "lockdown light", the same as last time. Bars and restaurants are shut, but that's not really a big deal — people with common sense have been drinking/eating outside over the past month or so, and with the temperatures beginning to drop it's no longer possible to do that anyway. The gym closing again is a bit of a pisser.

No chance will the Bundesliga be stopped, to answer the OP's question.

Its less likely for the players to pick up covid if the rest of the country is shut, so should be no reason for stopping it.

France and Germany announcing national lockdowns, Belgium in a bit of a mess.

Really hoping football isn’t effected because of the testing regimes in place as it’s the only thing keeping lots of us sane!

I suppose if work is continuing for the rest of us, then the same should apply to football?
I would absolutely despair but for football.

Winters in this country are miserable, depressing and never-ending. That’s why I would hate summer football.

I pray to god we can get a handle on his fuucking virus and that in the meantime, football can help get us all through it.

Most of us here have been expecting this for a while. It's "lockdown light", the same as last time. Bars and restaurants are shut, but that's not really a big deal — people with common sense have been drinking/eating outside over the past month or so, and with the temperatures beginning to drop it's no longer possible to do that anyway. The gym closing again is a bit of a pisser.

No chance will the Bundesliga be stopped, to answer the OP's question.
So has NordOst Regionaliga been suspended from November 2nd? Seemed to have been ticking along quite well with fans allowed at a fair few Clubs, did notice a few matches were being postponed this last week and see a few have been this weekend. Bit crap for Rostock this as MV seems to be the safest Bundesland for this.

There’s no reason whatsoever for football to get canned, I just can’t see it. Testing is now well in place, and the players are largely in their bubbles with just a few outbreaks.

It’s looking like more wider public lockdowns are on their way, and with it coming into winter I’d say having lots of football on tv is absolutely essential given we won’t have much else to do if lockdowns become stricter.

In my humble opinion there’s no way they will stop football.

No reason to stop football. The virus is ineffective in terms of being a danger to health of healthy young men. So the only concern would be the spread. Seeing as a "bubble" system already exists then appropriate mitigation already exists.

Sport is one of the few things that can help provide mental stimulation and relief to the masses, during these unprecedented times. I dont think governments would be in a hurry to shut it down for a sustained period.

There’s no reason whatsoever for football to get canned, I just can’t see it. Testing is now well in place, and the players are largely in their bubbles with just a few outbreaks.

It’s looking like more wider public lockdowns are on their way, and with it coming into winter I’d say having lots of football on tv is absolutely essential given we won’t have much else to do if lockdowns become stricter.

In my humble opinion there’s no way they will stop football.

Hope so bud, it’s genuinely the only thing that feels normal just now, and it’s not even normal in itself!

When you think about it, large parts of Scotland are already in lockdown anyway, they don’t call it lockdown but nothing is open bar shops so hopefully football remains unaffected.

Football would only be stopped if a large number of people were testing positive/ending up in hospital because of it. I'm sure the Government must be aware that it's also one of the only things bringing people any enjoyment right now.

Nothing would surprise me with Sturgeon though. She could stop it as a punishment for cases continuing to rise like she's doing with the pubs.

SKY/BT, advertisers and sponsors will dictate that elite football continues as long as possible.

They operate in fairly safe, clinical environments/bubbles.

That said, European and international football could/should be stopped.
Disagree with the clinical bubbles mate, yes at the training ground maybe but many will be going home to a wife and kids. They could catch it shopping or at school.

The players are some of the most tested people in the country.

There are no crowds at matches.

They players travel in “bubbles” to European and domestic away matches.

There’s no reason why it should be stopped but with the corruption in Scotland you never know.

For me football is important in an emotional sense for everyone. It gives us some to look forward to and gets the blood pumping. I would be gutted if there was no football again.

If anything, political leaders will be keen to keep professional football going as long as possible. It’s a way to keep populations entertained at a time when they’re completely restricted in what they can do. The last thing politicians want in the middle of a severe economic recession is people also bored with nothing to entertain them.

If anything, political leaders will be keen to keep professional football going as long as possible. It’s a way to keep populations entertained at a time when they’re completely restricted in what they can do. The last thing politicians want in the middle of a severe economic recession is people also bored with nothing to entertain them.
Makes the £15 PPV carry on in the Premier League seem even more poor.

With no fans allowed in to watch games, i see no reason for the games to be cancelled. Football gives the public a escape from the restrictions that is in place throughout europe and the uk.

Makes the £15 PPV carry on in the Premier League seem even more poor.

yeah, that’s a great point. The Government should be demanding as much football on the TV as possible given the lack of other entertainment options at the moment.

yeah, that’s a great point. The Government should be demanding as much football on the TV as possible given the lack of other entertainment options at the moment.
Can’t actually believe Burnley Chelsea is one at 3pm Saturday this weekend!

As long as it’s still about 99.8 percent survival rate football and indeed footballers will be fine. There for it Should continue as normal.

No It doesn't

It does, albeit as a short-term strategy.

To answer the OP, I'd expect domestic football to continue if clubs can demonstrate that their bubbles are safe. European football is inherently more risky but again can be done safely if protocols are observed.

Fans staying at home in their bubble to watch football on tv.

Fans with no football to watch, getting bored and heading out breaking guidelines

IMO the 1st option is easier to control and reduce spread, vaccines will be only chance to curtail this virus

Football keeps fans at home at the weekend. Especially, if they run games back to back.
They need to sort that stupid PPV though...

The irony is the hospitality industry isn’t where the cases are occurring

But it's where people traditionally 'mix'. The test and protect data shows an increasing trend of those being exposed to the virus are being exposed through hospitality settings.

There's no magic bullet here, but limiting the mixing of a wide range of individuals is the only viable approach at this stage - and hospitality (pubs, restaurants etc) is where that happens.

Anyway, guilty of taking the thread off course. Apologies.

Ridiculous if they stop it. Not just football, but it’s utterly bizarre how we are continuing to politically react to this virus. Lockdown on this scale just doesn’t work.
What do you suggest?

The purpose of lockdown is simply to suppress the virus so that the NHS is not overwhelmed with Covid patients.
That is exactly what it did, the infection rate, cases and fatalities reduced by more that 75%. (or thereabouts)
The easing of lockdown has caused the infection rate and fatalities to soar again.
Everyone who is going to get Covid, will still get it eventually.
Lockdown just allows the situation to be managed, until a vaccine is developed.
There is simply no alternative to lockdown, unless we are willing so accept 1000s of deaths daily.
How this is paid for is an altogether different matter.

It's basically a "lockdown" on hospitality is it not? Think you'd know the answer already if the football was banned.
No. France are making them stay indoors - 1 hour exercise and you can’t go more than 1km from your house.

Police given power to stop and question you and return you to your property.

Proper 1984 stuff from the French, no fucking about with your civil liberties, they’re simply just taking them.

Since football returned there has been a fair few cases of footballers getting infected but with BCD operating I haven’t seen any evidence that there is any big effect on Joe Public.

At this juncture I wouldn’t expect them to halt domestic matches but I can seen them restricting foreign travel and I also think this will extend the time until we get fans back into the stadiums.

I think the UK infection count went up 100k yesterday. It’s a scary situation.

I dont believe football will stop. At least not in the top leagues in most European nations.

Schools are staying open across Europe so governments are realising the importance to soldier through for the long term benefit. I think they will have the same thinking behind sports. There is too much money in football for it to stop again. Mental health will always soar during any pandemic so i reckon most governments would appreciate the outlet and escape that football would provide the communities being able to watch on TV. The same for applies to players.

MIght seem daft saying that to people who dont fully understand the impact that mental health has. But trust me, an escapism does do wonders for people struggling.

Football shouldn't stop. Footballers and staff are tested regularly and have bubbles. Plus it'll keep people sane having football to watch. How bad was it without it a few months ago.

No. France are making them stay indoors - 1 hour exercise and you can’t go more than 1km from your house.

Police given power to stop and question you and return you to your property.

Proper 1984 stuff from the French, no fucking about with your civil liberties, they’re simply just taking them.

Cheers mate, disgraceful stuff really.

With the testing protocols and other controls in place I see it continuing if we lockdown further. I think the general public need it heading into winter. The difference will be if a sportsperson becomes seriously ill with it.

Domestic football shouldn't be a problem, as players are already bubbled. The issue with football is the European and International football, more international where you have multiple bubbles all mixing.

Back