European finals, those of a certain era

It’s to our eternal shame that we were instrumental in the formation of the abomination that is the Champions League.

it was probably inevitable but I just wish we had had no part in it as it has ruined football.

It's not the format itself that's at fault PT, its the cut up the followed that did the damage. A good idea that was exploited for the benefit of a few countries.

Back in the 60s/70s the Daily Record used to print the scorelines on a Thursday morning of all 3 European competitions .
I used to lovee trawling through them all, especially the earlier rounds.
Torpedo Moscow, Slovan Bratislava, Sparta Rotterdam...the romance and mystique conjured up by those names!
Gained more geographical knowledge from that than anything school ever did.

Next days paper took you a day to read all the results in E.C,E.C.W.C,and Inter Cities fair's cup.Aye lad those were better days when it was all in the luck of the draw.

And they slimy bassas certainly benefited from the easiest draw possible

A bit young for the vintage ones. One of the first non-Rangers games I remember watching was the 91 European Cup final between Red Star and Marseille. Nearly put me off football for life.
The Steaua Barca bore draw final was worse.

Next days paper took you a day to read all the results in E.C,E.C.W.C,and Inter Cities fair's cup.Aye lad those were better days when it was all in the luck of the draw.
Luck of the draw is fairer than getting a bye because of the country you come from

What I remember was always thinking there was a chance you'd win which ever tournament you were in. The down side once you were out was the worry that the Bheggars (and in the 80s Aberdeen or Dundee United) might win something.

There were basically two sorts of teams - cannon fodder and teams that had a chance. There wasn't much between the teams within a tier. Also, once teams got further east than the East German border you had no idea which tier any team you met would fall in to, as they were just complete unknowns, and sometimes you'd run into a Dukla Prague shaped buzzsaw.

With no seeding, inconsistent pitches and few massive transfers between countries the game was totally different. All the successful English teams were full of Scots and they didn't look much better/ different than the Scottish teams who were loaded with the same calibre of player.

Back in the 60s/70s the Daily Record used to print the scorelines on a Thursday morning of all 3 European competitions .
I used to lovee trawling through them all, especially the earlier rounds.
Torpedo Moscow, Slovan Bratislava, Sparta Rotterdam...the romance and mystique conjured up by those names!
Gained more geographical knowledge from that than anything school ever did.

I agree, I use to get the atlas out and learned my Bucharest from Budapest.
The old European Cup was a great set up, but money means we won't see the like again.

I was 12 when Aberdeen won the CWC and I was desperate for them to lose, I'd never forgiven them for the previous 2 cup final defeats, the 4 - 1 in particular, that hatred has intensified over the years.
I’m the same mate, was absolutely gutted when the sheep won it, couldn’t stand them even back then, strangely I had no problem with Dundee United back in the day & remember watching the Gothenburg game in Midas in the town with my mates & we all wanted them to win, now I really hope they die.

True what you say there. If it's not Real it'll be Barça or Bayern. Remember as a brat in 79 watching Trevor Francis scoring the winner for Forest against Malmo!!!!! Don't think that'll ever happen again.
P.S With regards to Malmo I'm sure our own Robert Prytz was playing that day for them. Maybe!!

Our own Robert Prytz did indeed play in the final that our own Trevor Francis scored the winner in, alongside our own Kenny Burns. Never see 3 Rangers players in a EC Final again I suggest.

Watching a programme about Nottingham Forest and their European Cup triumphs .
Takes me back to those European finals. They were magical at the time.
My earliest memory was Leeds playing Bayern Munich in Paris, 1975. Leeds were robbed that night.
Then we had Liverpool, Forest and Aston Villa in the years to come. Younger guys nowadays probably can't appreciate but we had limited live football on TV, no internet. Our fix was Sportsnight, that Saturday lunchtime highlights programme and the Shoot magazine.
Up until the Champions League started i used to love those tournaments. Other than Man Utd and them i was always supporting the British teams and that included the so called new firm at the time.
Anyone else got any memories of these great footballing days?
Totally agree. Midweek football, particularly European football, on TV was a rare treat. Particularly accompanied by a Vesta curry! Finals didn't have all the razzmatazz before kick off or around the trophy presentation that they have nowadays, but there was a real sense of occasion and excitement. Used to love international football then too. As you say, maybe because live football was very limited, but the pre-corporate age, when it was all just about the game, was a great era to grow up watching football.

Back