European football. It will take a lot longer imo

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
When things are relaxed here, when we have things under control, I think it’s going to take a hell of a lot longer for European football to commence.

If it does, it’s almost guaranteed to be without away fans for a good while.

I can see cross border flights taking a hell of a long time to come back in meaningful numbers.

I honestly do not think there will be any football being played until next January at the earliest. It’s going to take quite a few months for any sort of vaccine in place and until then, no one is going to allow any games to take place with or without crowds.

Just looking at Spain and Italy at the moment, and we might not be far behind, it's going to take a lot to get back to any semblance of normality

It goes beyond away fans not being able to travel. There’s a fair chance the teams will be unable to travel until every country reopens their borders.

Until an effective vaccine becomes available this thing looks to become cyclical and any relaxation of the rules will quickly be slapped back in place if it comes around again next Feb/Mar.

A vaccine is the key and they are currently talking 18 months at least for this.

I will be astonished if there is Euro football in 2020.

Domestic is possible but not a given.

When things are relaxed here, when we have things under control, I think it’s going to take a hell of a lot longer for European football to commence.

I can see cross border flights taking a hell of a long time to come back in meaningful numbers.
Agree papa,even when this awful disease virus whatever, stops and is controlled,just can see any countries opening their borders too early not even for tourism,never mind frigging champions /Europa cups,love the game but...my goodness doesn't lives and families come first!

I think this will have changed the future of football forever. I know even if euro football was to recommence again in September I (and most others) simply wouldn’t travel to the like of Milan, Parma, Atalanta etc...

I personally don’t see football in this country the rest of 2020 until a vaccine is in place or the number or deaths / new cases are near zero.

It goes beyond away fans not being able to travel. There’s a fair chance the teams will be unable to travel until every country reopens their borders.

Until an effective vaccine becomes available this thing looks to become cyclical and any relaxation of the rules will quickly be slapped back in place if it comes around again next Feb/Mar.

A vaccine is the key and they are currently talking 18 months at least for this.
We might never find a vaccine , we’ve dealt with flu for decades and there’s no effective vaccine to 100% prevent or cure it.

gn303.png

It's probably too early to know when public gatherings will be allowed again but I would think that once lock downs are relaxed things will move steadily. At the moment the emphasis is on stopping the spread. As the UK is a few weeks behind other countries I assume we will benefit from seeing how things develop after these countries start to relax things.
To help declutter the landscape UEFA should unilaterally declare every national competition cancelled which would at least allow all associations to put some timetable in place for when things do start again.

I think you are right, who knows when any sport will resume this is going to go on a while, and although it may peak and get better the 2nd wave if it turns seasonal could put as right back to this, and it could adapt, nobody knows, they are just learning, watching and waiting... in a way the good thing is the whole worlds top scientists and medical researchers will be on the case to find drugs that will nullify it and working on a vaccine

Last edited:
I agree, I think that domestic football will come back in each country long before European football. When the European football does come back it will likely be without away fans for a long time, at least until every country is declared clear of the virus.

Even when foreign travel does come back, I can see there being restrictions such as providing a test certificate to say that you have had the virus or don't currently have it etc.

I just dont see where the likes of Spain and Italy find the resources and the focus to get football up and running again.

Are we thinking that after the paramedics and the police and other frontline staff have been ran tagged by a deadly pandemic and the health services are stripped down to their bare bones that we will then just expect them to dust themselves off and get up on a Saturday morning for Wednesday Evening for the football shift?

It just doesnt seem realistic that there will be any kind of meaningful football for a long time, especially as by the time a season could potentially start we are then very quickly going to be into winter again.

For football to even be an option you are talking behind closed doors, which again the leads to the question of club feasibility without gate receipts.

It's way way down on my own priorities just now, so I guess that may explain my pessimistic view.

But i just cant see it.

I just dont see where the likes of Spain and Italy find the resources and the focus to get football up and running again.

Are we thinking that after the paramedics and the police and other frontline staff have been ran tagged by a deadly pandemic and the health services are stripped down to their bare bones that we will then just expect them to dust themselves off and get up on a Saturday morning for Wednesday Evening for the football shift?

It just doesnt seem realistic that there will be any kind of meaningful football for a long time, especially as by the time a season could potentially start we are then very quickly going to be into winter again.

For football to even be an option you are talking behind closed doors, which again the leads to the question of club feasibility without gate receipts.

It's way way down on my own priorities just now, so I guess that may explain my pessimistic view.

But i just cant see it.
Let's be honest guys,FIFA eufa premier league ,la Liga,sfa spl,sky BT,premier Adidas Coca-Cola the fn lot of them,should denounce this season closed,and that's the end of it,but. As long as there's a chance,the greedy b......s see a euro or a£ sign they will play this out till the last moment ,they simply do not care about how many lives are lost with this, nobody had the balls to stand up and say it,Jesus that's nearly 10,000 deaths in Italy now,10,000 poor souls dead,and Football association s are still talking about football seasons and trophies,shame on them!

I can see this season's Campions League and Europa League just being scrapped.

Should be scrapped as too much games to catch up with if they do get round to them to finish the season off.
Scrap the whole competitions and start again next season. Is money and titles more important than health?.

Let's be honest guys,FIFA eufa premier league ,la Liga,sfa spl,sky BT,premier Adidas Coca-Cola the fn lot of them,should denounce this season closed,and that's the end of it,but. As long as there's a chance,the greedy b......s see a euro or a£ sign they will play this out till the last moment ,they simply do not care about how many lives are lost with this, nobody had the balls to stand up and say it,Jesus that's nearly 10,000 deaths in Italy now,10,000 poor souls dead,and Football association s are still talking about football seasons and trophies,shame on them!
Fortunately they are not the ones who will make the final decisions when it’s safe for society to return to some semblance of normality.

I honestly do not think there will be any football being played until next January at the earliest. It’s going to take quite a few months for any sort of vaccine in place and until then, no one is going to allow any games to take place with or without crowds.

Correct until they have a vaccine I think most things will be curtailed.

When we eventually start to see light at the end of the tunnel things will be relaxed and opened up gradually - gatherings of thousands at football matches is unlikely to be one of the first things to be given the go ahead.
Once football is up and running again, which is likely to happen at different times across the continent dependant on the impact of the virus in the various countries, it is unlikely to initially include cross border matches.
That being the case it is a real possibility that, if things can't resume in the near future, this season will be voided and next season will start at the earliest possible date but with a reduced schedule (no league cup) and no European football.
This would also mean that you don't need to worry about this seasons placings being required to determine who participates in Europe next season as there will be no European football next season.
Of course UEFA's optimistic view could be correct and we could be up and playing again in a few weeks and have all domestic leagues finished by the end of June - and pigs might fly or Celtic might do the honourable thing. Any honourable thing. Ain't going to happen.

Even though I've only been stuck in this bloody house a few days, I'm already starting to forget what normality was like. There will be no European football before 2021.

European football will need to be shortened

Back