European Goals Record

Ally said his were mostly scored in Champions League games. Don’t have the stats but he probably scored in more Group games than qualifiers too

Ally was at it when he said most of his were in the CL.

I was trying to find a list of his but couldn't find one. Could only think of 2 CL group stage goals.

Morelos' goals certainly made us more money. Also I'd say in the main, Alfie's goals have been against better opposition, and in crucial matches, also whilst playing up front on his own.

Ally said his were mostly scored in Champions League games. Don’t have the stats but he probably scored in more Group games than qualifiers too
I can't believe he didn't score in any group game in 92/93. His important goals were in the qualifiers. Different tournament back then though.

Ally's goals against Leeds were extremely important. Also his hat-trick away v Anzhi. He never had the greatest record in the Group Stages - it took him a while to get his first goals against Grasshoppers

In the last 3 years, Morelos's goals against Legia Warsaw and in the group stages have been absolutley vital.

Lets call it a draw

UEFA Champions League
Champions League194
UEFA-Cup
UEFA Cup153
European Champion Clubs' Cup
European Cup127
UEFA Champions League Qualifying
Champions League Qualifying67
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Cup Winners' Cup2-
McCoist's European scoring record [21 from 54 games] - liked to score in eastern bloc countries but his goal against DK in 1987 and double vs Leeds in 1992 were the most important.

4 vs Alania Vladikavkaz + 1 vs Bohemians + 1 vs Boavista + 1 vs Dynamo Kiev + 2 vs Gornik Zabrze + 2 vs Grasshoppers + 1 vs Ilves Tampere + 2 vs Leeds Utd + 1 vs RS Belgrade + 1 vs St Bucharest + 2 vs Valleeta + 3 vs Vikingur Gota

McCoist scored 2 Champions league ‘group goals’.Both came in a home win v Grasshoppers in 1996/97.

Tbf to him he only had 3 Champions league group campaigns and apart from the 1992/93 season,it was post leg break,he was well over 30 and we were generally terrible in both campaigns.

from the bbc:

What the stats say​

• Including qualifying rounds, Rangers have lost just one of their last 20 home games in European competitions (W14 D5).
  • Rangers have won their last five matches in European competition, netting 14 goals and conceding just once.
  • Lech Poznan have won just one of their last nine Europa League matches (D2 L6), winning 2-1 at Fiorentina in October 2015.
  • Rangers have won each of their last four matches against Polish opposition in major European competition (excluding qualifiers).
  • Alfredo Morelos has scored more Uefa Cup/Europa League goals than any other Rangers player, scoring his ninth goal in his 16th appearance for the club.

I was trying to find a list of his but couldn't find one. Could only think of 2 CL group stage goals.

@Disco Deejay is your man. He posted the analysis a few weeks ago.

Both lists are similar with Alfie’s slightly better in my opinion, but they both have maybe a half dozen against weaker teams.

Alfie has achieved his in a lot less games of course.

Tbf does it matter? They've both scored goals for The Rangers in Europe. Super against possibly better opposition, Alfie in a shorter space of time.
Big picture?
All gravy for The Rangers!

One good thing about tonight’s win.

I think that may be the first time we’ve ever won 5 European matches in a row in our history.

@rangeral ? You are the expert. Am I right ?

It's not really fair to compare, context needs taken into account, but even with that, Morelos in Europe has being nothing other than phenomenal. I'll say it right now, I started peepin' back in August when he was meant to be leaving. I fucking love him.

Agree, we were an established European side in McCoist day, and not the best at it outside 92, I think it was. But McCost goals almost got us to the CL final so I may even change my mind right here!
Technically not as he only scored two in that campaign, both against Leeds. Pedantic loyal. Now, if he had his shooting boots with him in the group stage then we would have made the final :))

Last edited:

I can't believe he didn't score in any group game in 92/93. His important goals were in the qualifiers. Different tournament back then though.
Despite winning the European Golden Boot two years on the trot, he only scored two goals in the CL group stages, both of them in the same game against Grasshoppers back in ‘96, one of them a penalty.

As great as he was for us, there was a feeling at the time that he wasn’t quite good enough at the very highest level.

Technically not as he only scored two in that campaign, both against Leeds. Pedantic loyal. Now, if he had his shooting boots with him in the group stage then we would have made the final :))
To be fair it was those goals I was thinking of! I’d have been about 10 at the time so taking it as a bit before my time!?!?!?

@Disco Deejay is your man. He posted the analysis a few weeks ago.

Both lists are similar with Alfie’s slightly better in my opinion, but they both have maybe a half dozen against weaker teams.

Alfie has achieved his in a lot less games of course.
My updated post from a few weeks ago....

Full comparison Grigo.....

McCoist - 21 goals (4 pens) in 56 games:
Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Gornik Zabrze x 2 (1 pen)
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 21 goals (1 pen) in 37 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4 (1 pen)
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2
Lech Poznan

It should also be noted that Ally scored 4 pens, compared to Alfie's 1 and without checking, I would imagine that Ally played a full 90 mins a lot more than Alfie, who has been sent off once and substituted fairly often.

Last edited:
My post from a few weeks ago....

Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 20 goals (1 pen) in 33 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4 (1 pen)
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2

Thanks a lot DD.

Hope you are keeping well mate.

My post from a few weeks ago....

Bohemians
Ilves Tampere
Boavista
Dynamo Kiev
Steau Bucharest (pen)
Valletta x 2 (1 pen)
Red Star Belgrade
Leeds Utd x 2
Alania Vladikavkaz x 4
Grasshoppers x 2 (1 pen)
GI Gotu x 3

Morelos – 20 goals (1 pen) in 33 games:
Osijek
Maribor
Rapid Vienna x 2
St Joseph's x 4 (1 pen)
Midtjylland x 3
Legia Warsaw
Young Boys x 2
Porto x 2
Feyenoord x 2
Lincoln Red Imps x 2
Would say only 6 of Alfie’s have been against diddies. I think his is a better record considering our comparative spend of the teams he’s played along with their quality.

Also, that list needs updated :))

The day Morelos scores a more important goal than McCoist's at Elland Road in the CL then you can start talking about comparisons.

Do get a bit pissed off when he compares their careers, let Alfie have his moment and congratulate him.

Yes, a separate issue.

Unquestionably McCoist’s record v Celtic is far superior, but why turn this into something different & compare a young 24yo to our greatest ever goal scorer ?

Dinnae think Ally scored many in the Champions League group games. I'm sure he scored his first group goal against Grasshoppers and that was a monkey off his back. Might be wrong though.

Yes, a separate issue.

Unquestionably McCoist’s record v Celtic is far superior, but why turn this into something different & compare a young 24yo to our greatest ever goal scorer ?
It’s because it’s McCoist but it’s not right, not many post war Rangers strikers would match him, I reckon if it was John MacDonald for instance
Alfie would have got the credit on his own merits, everyone in Britain knows McCoist is a Rangers legend, Gerrard may not even know who MacDonald is.

Back