European Nations League

ChrisWoods

This is the ultimate in laziness on my part but can someone give me a brief overview on how it works? I saw something on ESPN last night about it when I was getting a hair cut but the sound was down.

I have such little interest in it to be honest.

Which is really is a sad inditment of how I feel about the national team at the moment.
Overpaid, overhyped, serial bottle merchants.

I couldn't even tell you who Scotland are playing during this break can't be arsed with international football. The o my good to come out of this break is the rest our places where needing and Alfie hopefully coming back as a Colombian national player.

I've not really looked into it, so I'm going to give what I think it is as fact, even though I've really very little clue.

So, the biggest teams play each other. And so on right through to the shitest teams.
Divided into groups.
The winner of all these groups get in, so even a shite team gets in, as well as great, good and so on.

Then when that's done, the rest get another shot at qualifying.

A big help for the small teams who get a place you may think.

But actually, they are letting 2 or 3 teams that wouldn't normally get in and opening up far more places anyway.

So, when the real groups start, the big teams should find it easier to run away with their group as the dark horses already have their place!

Is that close?

Basically some tiering across UEFA countries to get them to play a mini tourney every year with similiar level teams for a chance at the Euro 2020 (presume future) playoffs for the best teams. Promotions and Relegations afterwards. So attempts by UEFA to make some more cash between Euro's basically.

Four divisions - England in top, Wales, Norn Iron and Republic in second, Scotland in third. In each division there are groups. Win your group in the division and you go up to the next one. Come bottom and you go down.

Scotland in with Albania and Israel. If they're top after the four games (end November) then they go up to the second division or tier. If they produce the normal crap they go down to join the San Marinos and Faroes of the world. It should be achievable for Scotland to move up on the first attempt but they've proved us wrong before. Hopefully it goes in the right direction for Big Eck though.

It's also a means of qualifying for Euro 2020, For each division there is (I think) 1 qualifying place up for grabs.

The teams top of each group in the division will get to playoff for the place. If they have already qualified via the conventional qualifiers then the place will pass to the next team in the group.

It really is incredibly simple. No wonder football fans get a reputation of being stupid.

It's just like when radio or t.v. pundits start hammimg it up telling us how baffled they are at league table permutations near the end of the season. They actually understand it perfectly but are treating all football with contempt because stuff like this perpetuates the belief that we are unable to comprehend really simple things.

its about time club sides did something about players risking injury playing meaningless internationals .

Think it's also meant to be a means of phasing out pointless friendlies for something slightly more competitive which UEFA are hoping will stop countless players dropping out of squads.

Just seems even more boring to me though. As if Israel and Albania weren't boring enough fixtures as it is, now the trannies are having to play each of them twice.

It really is incredibly simple. No wonder football fans get a reputation of being stupid.

It's just like when radio or t.v. pundits start hammimg it up telling us how baffled they are at league table permutations near the end of the season. They actually understand it perfectly but are treating all football with contempt because stuff like this perpetuates the belief that we are unable to comprehend really simple things.

If this is aimed at me, I didn't say I didn't understand it, I was basically saying I couldn't be arsed looking into it. Thankfully some kind bears on this thread have explained it, I'm with the majority though, it seems like a pile of shite.

I looked into this last night and here's how best I can explain it.

There are 4 leagues. League A through to D. Scotland are in League C. Each league contains 12-15 countries.

Within these leagues, groups of 3-4 countries are formed. In Scotlands case, we are in Group 1. There are 4 groups within our league.

Lets say Scotland win group 1 and for talking sake, Romania, Hungary & Slovenia win group 2, 3 & 4.

This is shelved for the moment as we all go through the traditional qualifying process. 10 games played in double headers in March, June, September, October and November 2019. Top 2 in each group qualify automatically which amounts to 20 places.

Say Scotland, Romania, Hungary & Slovenia don't qualify through the traditional process. All four play a one off semi final and final. Winner qualifies for the Euros.

If Scotland qualify automatically through the traditional process, then our place in the play-off goes to the runner up in our Nations League group, which would either be Albania or Israel.

Hope this clears things up o_O

It's really not that hard to understand. And it gives the shitier countries like Georgia, Latvia and Kosovo a real chance of qualifying for the European Championships instead of just being fodder for big countries in a qualifying campaign (which will take place in 2019)

There are 4 leagues. League A through to D. Scotland are in League C. Each league contains 12-15 countries.

Within these leagues, groups of 3-4 countries are formed. In Scotlands case, we are in Group 1. There are 4 groups within our league.

Lets say Scotland win group 1 and for talking sake, Romania, Hungary & Slovenia win group 2, 3 & 4.

This is shelved for the moment as we all go through the traditional qualifying process. 10 games played in double headers in March, June, September, October and November 2019. Top 2 in each group qualify automatically which amounts to 20 places.

Say Scotland, Romania, Hungary & Slovenia don't qualify through the traditional process. All four play a one off semi final and final. Winner qualifies for the Euros.

If Scotland qualify automatically through the traditional process, then our place in the play-off goes to the runner up in our Nations League group, which would either be Albania or Israel.

Very much so, thanks, has the draw been made for the traditional qualifying process yet?

its about time club sides did something about players risking injury playing meaningless internationals .

These aren't meaningless internationals now though. It's a real chance for countries who normally have no hope of making a tournament (as hard as that sounds seeing as 24 out of 55 teams now make the euros) to get there. For example, one of these countries will be at Euro 2020:

Group D1: Georgia, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Andorra
Group D2: Belarus, Luxembourg, Moldova, San Marino
Group D3: Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Malta, Kosovo
Group D4: FYR Macedonia, Armenia, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar

If this is aimed at me, I didn't say I didn't understand it, I was basically saying I couldn't be arsed looking into it. Thankfully some kind bears on this thread have explained it, I'm with the majority though, it seems like a pile of shite.
No mate aimed at anyone claiming to not understand it. As said it's easy enough to understand. If anyone then goes on to conclude it's a pile of shite then that's fine :D

Think it's also meant to be a means of phasing out pointless friendlies for something slightly more competitive which UEFA are hoping will stop countless players dropping out of squads.

Just seems even more boring to me though. As if Israel and Albania weren't boring enough fixtures as it is, now the trannies are having to play each of them twice.

That's the level they are deemed to be at though.

Personally I think it's a good idea, getting promoted or relegated will effect your seeding for qualification proper, as well as it being a legitimate way to qualify for Euro 2020 in itself.

I think the issue is that now there are 55 countries in UEFA and only 6 or 7 have any box office attraction, the majority of meetings between 2 UEFA countries are unlikely to raise much in the way of interest

It's really not that hard to understand. And it gives the shitier countries like Georgia, Latvia and Kosovo a real chance of qualifying for the European Championships instead of just being fodder for big countries in a qualifying campaign (which will take place in 2019)

So then they can just go to actual Euros tournament to be cannon fodder instead? Who wants to see that?

I don't think the issue for many people is understanding it.

I just don't think many people can believe it really is that convoluted. It's a nonsense structure and a bit ridiculous really.

These aren't meaningless internationals now though. It's a real chance for countries who normally have no hope of making a tournament (as hard as that sounds seeing as 24 out of 55 teams now make the euros) to get there. For example, one of these countries will be at Euro 2020:

I know what's going to happen here.

The Faroes are going to make it, and Scotland aren't.

Four divisions - England in top, Wales, Norn Iron and Republic in second, Scotland in third. In each division there are groups. Win your group in the division and you go up to the next one. Come bottom and you go down.

Scotland in with Albania and Israel. If they're top after the four games (end November) then they go up to the second division or tier. If they produce the normal crap they go down to join the San Marinos and Faroes of the world. It should be achievable for Scotland to move up on the first attempt but they've proved us wrong before. Hopefully it goes in the right direction for Big Eck though.
Simples

It's like tennis Davis Cup tourney

Good Summary mate
.........but is promotion to League B based on these results??.......... or is it totally unrelated and the next time it's played groups are drawn again based on your UEFA ranking ?

My money is on Luxembourg

With that draw, I reckon Scotland have a far better chance of qualifying through the Nations League than another potential Euro qualifying group with Germany, Poland etc... either way, we will find a way of making an arse of it. Nothing surer.

lets call it the canon fodder cup, international football is a joke .

ev7tp0.jpg

Scotland’s best long term plan is to finish last in their current 3 team section - get pumped down to league D - then win the Diddy league D and go straight into the next Euro’s

Wow, I feel like someone has spiked my drink.

Back