European Super League - boo!

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
I will start by saying I hope these c***s are NOT allowed to keep one foot in the official UEFA fold and have to take their chances...however UEFA will do what they're told in reality. There was briefly hope of the 'rump' clubs being able to re-establish genuine competition, less random seedings, and an element of surprise....but it will be watered down CL with les money.

What are the thoughts? I would never even consider paying for it and have no interest in it....what about you guys and gals?

I will start by saying I hope these c***s are NOT allowed to keep one foot in the official UEFA fold and have to take their chances...however UEFA will do what they're told in reality. There was briefly hope of the 'rump' clubs being able to re-establish genuine competition, less random seedings, and an element of surprise....but it will be watered down CL with les money.

What are the thoughts? I would never even consider paying for it and have no interest in it....what about you guys and gals?

I've lost all interest in CL tbh so not for me. My hope is that bigger clubs from smaller leagues get together and start our own competition through domestic league positions in our own countries. They don't want us anyway let's go ourselves and leave them to it

I hope it happens.

Money has taken football to a horrible place. A place where teams would rather survive in the EPL than be relegated but win the FA Cup. Teams in England are going bust. Wages are unsustainable. The working man is priced out of football and television is dictating what our kids grow up demanding of football.

We need to press the reset button. We need clubs to be sustainable, be bigger parts of their community and to get people going to football matches when the pandemic is over. We need to start valuing our game at all levels rather that writing off anything that isnt on TV as being rubbish. The European league can't come quick enough for me. I have little interest in it other than as an occasional curio. If fans of the biggest sides in Europe want it and their clubs push hard enough for it then wire in. Let the rest of us go back to enjoying fitba before it became the absolute mess that it is in the modern age.

The writer of the article still doesn't get it when he mentions promotion/relegation...

Let them go instead of allowing them to continually blackmail and manipulate the current set-up. They can continue with domestic participation, albeit they'll have to work their European League around the domestic calendar.

I suspect a couple of the English teams will regret joining a Euro Super League in the years to come.

My fear IAATPIES is that they won't leave us alone but will linger with one foot in the UEFA camp - scared to leave in case it doesn't work and therefore still distorting various competitions they actively disdain. Most fans here (not Asia or Africa - their new market) won't give a sh** about them and won't miss them.

If it does go ahead and you have 4/5 times from the English league joining could that open the door for ranger and Celtic joining the premiership ?

It’s pretty much the same clubs reaching the latter stages of euro competition each season, it’s boring. Very rarely does an outsider do anything, tge whole system is set up do this is the case, the big 5 countries get 20 odd places in the CL. that’s ridiculous, how are the smaller countries supposed to compete?
I very rarely watch it now, I certainly wouldn’t pay for it.

If it does go ahead and you have 4/5 times from the English league joining could that open the door for ranger and Celtic joining the premiership ?

Some guy from FA was on saying there might be an EPL 1 and 2 and a widening of the pyramid. That might be interesting.

My fear IAATPIES is that they won't leave us alone but will linger with one foot in the UEFA camp - scared to leave in case it doesn't work and therefore still distorting various competitions they actively disdain. Most fans here (not Asia or Africa - their new market) won't give a sh** about them and won't miss them.
I see it more as a NFL style competition. Completely closed shop. Big money from sponsorship, taking away a lot of the money that would otherwise have gone to UEFA for the Champions League and the EPL for the Premier League. I reckon that what would be left would essentially be football surviving on smaller TV and sponsorship deals, more reliance on match day income and a transformed economy with players earning far less. The breakaway teams wouldn't need a champions league because they'd essentially be playing in a closed shop elite league anyway.

The only area I'd see there being real problems would be international football. Would players playing in the breakaway league be able to play in UEFA or FIFA international tournaments?

If we could get back to the situation where players were earning more modest sums, where clubs weren't trapped in a cycle of debt and where we were getting thousands through the gates on a Saturday afternoon at historic clubs across the country then I think football would be in a far better position.

Some guy from FA was on saying there might be an EPL 1 and 2 and a widening of the pyramid. That might be interesting.
Fair to say that Rangers and Celtic have outgrown the Scottish league, could only benefit the premier league as well having a huge derby like that in their league. Would be beneficial for other Scottish clubs as well as there would be more competition in Scottish football

I'm not really arsed if they leave or not but if they do then the rest of the clubs in Europe need to show solidarity with one another and tell them if they leave to form this 'super league', there will be no involvement in either UEFA or domestic competitions and if they wish to re-enter the domestic set-up at some point they'll be starting at the bottom tier. Bored of the 'elite' clubs threatening this every time they need leverage in negotiating something with UEFA or their domestic leagues, and with the current coronavirus crisis it reeks of opportunism. Tell them to put up or shut up IMO.

It depresses me it really does.

They could invert the seeding system so all the big clubs get bunched together in one group and same with smaller clubs. That alone would generate more interest as we’d see clubs get further in the competition that don’t get normally get far.

First lesson: Read through before posting.
Second lesson: Never refer to them as "Celtic":- Scum, Molestic, Bheasts, mentally challengeds, Fhith, Tramps or if you want to be nice Celtc (there's a story behind the last one). Highlighted is the preferred choice.

CL is boring these days, seeding and to a lesser extent country protection has killed it.

IF this was to go ahead then I have no problem with them staying in their respective domestic leagues. However they should forego any chance at UEFA competitions and the money that comes with it. It would mean the CL has a lot of fresh blood, Champions (as implied in the name of the tournament) would actually get into it and it could become the spectacle it once was.

I can't see many willing to part with subscription fee's etc to watch glorified friendlies

I'm not really arsed if they leave or not but if they do then the rest of the clubs in Europe need to show solidarity with one another and tell them if they leave to form this 'super league', there will be no involvement in either UEFA or domestic competitions and if they wish to re-enter the domestic set-up at some point they'll be starting at the bottom tier. Bored of the 'elite' clubs threatening this every time they need leverage in negotiating something with UEFA or their domestic leagues, and with the current coronavirus crisis it reeks of opportunism. Tell them to put up or shut up IMO.
I'd love that. Man U etc in the bottom tier of England when they come grovelling back

Fair to say that Rangers and Celtic have outgrown the Scottish league, could only benefit the premier league as well having a huge derby like that in their league. Would be beneficial for other Scottish clubs as well as there would be more competition in Scottish football
David Moyes was asked about it not so long ago and he said pretty much the same.

When you think of it though EoL, us moving to England is no different than them all wanting to form some "super league" is it?

If the big teams down south were able to form their own breakaway league then there would be no money in England to chase. They'd take the money with them to the European super league.

If the big teams down south were able to form their own breakaway league then there would be no money in England to chase. They'd take the money with them to the European super league.
There's still be vastly more money than what we attract currently though

Wanting to kill 150+ years of domestic competition in the name of senseless greed.

Fûcking scumbags.
This is the worst thing about it.

Wanting to break away from the richest league in the world, for more money.

All that history and tradition, the home of football FFS, and they want to break away for their 30 pieces of silver. Two great clubs as well, the biggest down there. Greedy shareholders stripping back the identity of these clubs.

I hope this league crashes and burns and leaves them in limbo. Plastic league, for plastic fans and plastic clubs.

There's still be vastly more money than what we attract currently though

Vastly is stretching it. The domestic league TV deal would be significantly lower and there would be no real prestige in swapping Celtic and Aberdeen for Burnley and Norwich.

From what I understand they wouldn’t be breaking away from the premiership, however that’s what the papers have made it out to be. Is this not to replace their participation in the Champions League and world club cup? Could be wrong but that’s how I’ve picked it up the last few days

Football's f#@&ed. Revert the champions league back to what it should actually be, champions. Top 16 leagues in the coefficient 4 groups of 4 or 2 groups of 8 into semi final knock out. A European cup below that then Europa below that.

It would be the right thing for football but not the right thing for greedy money men.

When you think of it though EoL, us moving to England is no different than them all wanting to form some "super league" is it?
It is not for me but our fans, and to be fair most fans, in Scotland - as well as the authorities - have no ideas how to reduce the gap, make it more tactical and technical, or get fans back to games. I'd happily look at pooling cash but appetite for that is zero and so I know RFC would jump at any chance like a shot....let's be realistic.

Yes, rather than be angry about a European Super League because you don't like change, it might be worth looking at the reasons it's happening.

I, while domestic leagues are still a thing, very much want us to continue to be part of the Scottish League.

We were all for the CL when it started and were founding members. It suited us as the time when we were at the big table. We can't bitch and moan that we've not found a way to continue to be part of that.

Football is changing and it's changing because of the way people consume it. Nothing will stop that.

We'd be best looking at how to move things along ourselves. We can't moan about an ESL when we'd happily move on from what we've outgrown in Scotland. I'd suggest that the 3rd tier of Euro competition which has been put in motion is the first line in addressing things for the likes of Aberdeen and the likes of Vitessea Arnhem who are as big as they can be domestically but can't get to Euro football.

It's all going to be tiered in the future. It could be of benefit to us just as the likes of something along the lines of an "Atlantic League" would be.

People pretending they're not going to watch Bayern Munich v Real Madrid and then Liverpool v Barca, if that's what the weekly games are, are kidding themselves on I reckon.

Last edited:
Vastly is stretching it. The domestic league TV deal would be significantly lower and there would be no real prestige in swapping Celtic and Aberdeen for Burnley and Norwich.
Unless I'm missing something there'd still be plenty of top teams left in England, just not the "Elite" ones. So Sky and BT's TV deal would still be a lot higher than what we have in Scotland. The Championship in England has a deal running til 2024 worth approx £120m a year.

First lesson: Read through before posting.
Second lesson: Never refer to them as "Celtic":- Scum, Molestic, Bheasts, mentally challengeds, Fhith, Tramps or if you want to be nice Celtc (there's a story behind the last one). Highlighted is the preferred choice.
Agreed.

And ALWAYS use a capital R at the start of Rangers.
Always.
(and including the 's' at the end tends to help as well - ranger isn't acceptable when discussing our teams name).

Remember, when the SFL demoted us to the bottom division, the non-Rangers fans in Scotland supported this, (Ignoring that they hate us) as it would supposedly create better competition and allow their teams the possibility of earning higher prize money etc. Is there a single team in the top division who now have a larger support than they had then? Are the clubs wealthier than they were then? Did they win more competitions? Answer to all is NO. All they did was ensure the success of Celtic (and with the increased wealth from the Champions League, which just kept on widening the financial gulf between them and the remaining clubs). Strip out the top English teams who will now play in this European Super League and interest in the EPL will begin to diminish as well. If you remove say Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, your top matches are Leicester v Everton for example. Don't think that would get your average Chinese supporter to reach for the remote.

If all these big teams want to move then there is nothing UEFA can do about it UEFA need these big teams to add credibility to their competitions im sure if these big teams created their own european league then the money and sponsorship will surely follow them ,clubs hold all the cards

Unless I'm missing something there'd still be plenty of top teams left in England, just not the "Elite" ones. So Sky and BT's TV deal would still be a lot higher than what we have in Scotland. The Championship in England has a deal running til 2024 worth approx £120m a year.

If you were to take out Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea then TV interest reduces significantly. Nobody is really interested in Burnley v Newcastle. If you were selling Man Utd v Real Madrid or Liverpool v Barcelona in a European super league then TV would throw money at it.

IMO is they should be allowed to set their own league but they must quit all over FIFA, UEFA and FA competition and leave all us decent clubs to play in our leagues and European competitions.

If you were to take out Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea then TV interest reduces significantly. Nobody is really interested in Burnley v Newcastle. If you were selling Man Utd v Real Madrid or Liverpool v Barcelona in a European super league then TV would throw money at it.
Suppose it all really falls down to what clubs would still be left, But I reckon a league of Newcastle's and Burnley's still brings in more money than a league of Aberdeen's and Ross County's

This is the worst thing about it.

Wanting to break away from the richest league in the world, for more money.

All that history and tradition, the home of football FFS, and they want to break away for their 30 pieces of silver. Two great clubs as well, the biggest down there. Greedy shareholders stripping back the identity of these clubs.

I hope this league crashes and burns and leaves them in limbo. Plastic league, for plastic fans and plastic clubs.

No coincidence that both clubs are run by yanks.

They come from a nation where it is normal for a sporting franchise to uproot and move to another city for more money.

This Euro league will be very much the same as sport in North America. Soulless exhibition style stuff with obscene amounts of money involved.

A closed shop with no promotion or relegation sounds crap. Ive no interest.

I fully expect it'll be a massive success however. It's the completed Americanisation of football, though I suspect they'll drop the draft. I'd say our best hope would be a second or third tier but why would they want to risk getting relegated?

If it doesn't happen then you wonder would the owners of the likes of PSG and City keep throwing money at them.All they need to do is finish in the top 3 or 4 and they are guaranteed a fortune anyway.

No coincidence that both clubs are run by yanks.

They come from a nation where it is normal for a sporting franchise to uproot and move to another city for more money.

This Euro league will be very much the same as sport in North America. Soulless exhibition style stuff with obscene amounts of money involved.

Not all American sports are soulless. There are teams with fantastic histories that have been part of their city since their formation. Sure that also includes expansion teams, but the whole thing about moving teams is often overplayed by European sports fans.

European Super League will just mean glorified glamour friendlies amongst the elite. Real fans will soon tire of it and crave the excitement of a league race. I don't suppose there will be relegation from this super league. I would suppose they will want to take it around the world as well to make more money. Real Madrid v Man United in Beijing. What an awful thought.

I would like to hear from Everton - after all, unlike MU/Liverpool etc they have never experienced relegation and have only ever known top flight football.

From what I understand they wouldn’t be breaking away from the premiership, however that’s what the papers have made it out to be. Is this not to replace their participation in the Champions League and world club cup? Could be wrong but that’s how I’ve picked it up the last few days

This is also my understanding. The vast majority of posts on this thread are assuming the clubs leave their domestic league. That as you say is not the case, this league would replace CL not domestic.

This is also my understanding. The vast majority of posts on this thread are assuming the clubs leave their domestic league. That as you say is not the case, this league would replace CL not domestic.
They shouldn't be given that choice though is the general tone of the thread....if you ant to f*** off then please do so.

Let all the fake teams likè man city and psg f**k off and have their wee closed shop. None of them would be missed.

Back