European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Yep. And those debts need paid given the pressures of COVID. Banks and Governments can't write of these obscene debts.
And nor should they! These clubs shouldn’t have been allowed to operate the way they have done for years. Dishing out £0.55bn contracts to guys like Messi. They’ve only got themselves to blame and want to sh1t all over everyone else due to their own financial mismanagement and poor governance.

Are you sure that’s the reason ? I thought it was the fact the club the man has loved his entire life is being ripped away from its traditions in the English League and European Cup/Champions League

The proposal is they continue to play in their domestic leagues though. They are just leaving the Champions League to play in their own European Competition as all these Super Clubs want to control their own revenues. That's what it all boils down to.

The income they would earn in comparison to the non ESL clubs would make their domestic leagues uncompetitive but they are all pretty much uncompetitive as it is anyway.

What's the deal here then. Can anyone sum up?

12 teams have agreed to join a breakaway league.

They can only play each other in this league? They cannot play any Uefa competitions and the players of these clubs cannot represent thier countries?

Whats the end game here? It cannot be a 12 game league. The reason why a Barcelona v Manchester United is special is because of the history and the limited times these games come along.

Playing Celtic every week would lose the atmosphere and build up. If "treats" become the norm they are no longer treats.

All these pundits in the media don’t really care about the game or the fans as a whole. It’s all about the English Premier League for them and having as many champions league places as possible at the expense of other countries. The so called best league in the world is under threat and so are the riches that come with it for them all. Hypocrites the lot of them. They had a once great cup completion in the FA Cup and it’s been shat on over the years, the race to finish 4th in the league is more important now. Sky are as guilty as anyone with the Americanisation of football with the transfer deadline day nonsense.

Yes, he comes across as not pasdionate, but very arrogant.

He really doesn’t. Gary Neville is as passionate, honest and straightforward as it comes. He’s speaking for himself and his views reflect the vast majority of football fans, as I see it. I’ve seen no arrogance in his words and tone, just open, honest fear for the future of the game and anger at the selfish actions of the 12 clubs.

If you are looking for arrogance, you need to look at the owners of these 12 clubs. They are arrogance amplified - spoilt bast*rds looking to ring fence their money and keep all other clubs away from potential riches with their anti competitive super league. They think they are above every other club. That’s arrogance.

The proposal is they continue to play in their domestic leagues though. They are just leaving the Champions League to play in their own European Competition as all these Super Clubs want to control their own revenues. That's what it all boils down to.

The income they would earn in comparison to the non ESL clubs would make their domestic leagues uncompetitive but they are all pretty much uncompetitive as it is anyway.
If they go and start their own Super League against the will of the Premier League then they are toast, there’s no way they’ll be allowed to continue playing domestic football. And what would be the point anyway there’s %^*& all at stake for them.

Liverpool have won 6 European Cups and have a proud history with that trophy, that’s all sold down the river aswell

You are correct , the stench of hypocrisy is strong here.
The other 14 Pl teams are happy being in that big rich tent pissing outwards. now, they find there may be an even better tent , with more money and they cannot get into it- toys out the pram.

Also, on the Athletic this morning, they quote clause 6.1.1 of a standard PL player contract, which states that the clubs must adhere to all regulatory rules, be it FIFA, uefa, FA Pl or EL. Clubs cannot do anything to stop a player featuring for their country.
This means , in theory, any club leaving these competitions is in breach of contract- so rangers can scoop up kevin de bruyne for free!!!!!!

That is the legal point I find very interesting and where that corrupt mess that is FIFA might end-up being the unlikely saviour.

FIFA is not beholden to the clubs, they get their wealth and kick-backs elsewhere. The Qatari / PSG link might be telling here.

If FIFA rule that players playing in a non FIFA approved competition are not eligible for international football then in my reading it gives the Premier League the ace-card of giving notice to the six that the contracts they have with players are no longer valid.

All these pundits in the media don’t really care about the game or the fans as a whole. It’s all about the English Premier League for them and having as many champions league places as possible at the expense of other countries. The so called best league in the world is under threat and so are the riches that come with it for them all. Hypocrites the lot of them. They had a once great cup completion in the FA Cup and it’s been shat on over the years, the race to finish 4th in the league is more important now. Sky are as guilty as anyone with the Americanisation of football with the transfer deadline day nonsense.
I disagree, guys like Neville and Carragher are fans.

They care about football, you can attribute your comments to the owners and to a lesser extent Sky (not that I agree) but it’s harsh to club real football men in with those charlatans.

They can only play each other in this league? They cannot play any Uefa competitions and the players of these clubs cannot represent thier countries?

Whats the end game here? It cannot be a 12 game league. The reason why a Barcelona v Manchester United is special is because of the history and the limited times these games come along.

Playing Celtic every week would lose the atmosphere and build up. If "treats" become the norm they are no longer treats.

they want a 2 groups of 10 Super league
15 teams permanent fouding members & 5 invited
unclear if the invited ones stay or leave each year - technically one could win it and not be invited back

UEFA want to stop it by banning players of those clubs playing international football
EPL already has a rule in place that teams cannot play in an unapproved match - so they would be in breach and their EPL places are in peril

I think we will eventually see the two groups of ten teams being based in China and America on a rotation. Host cities offering mega money to have a team play in their city. The playoffs and final going to quatar or dubai for billions.

If they go and start their own Super League against the will of the Premier League then they are toast, there’s no way they’ll be allowed to continue playing domestic football. And what would be the point anyway there’s %^*& all at stake for them.

Liverpool have won 6 European Cups and have a proud history with that trophy, that’s all sold down the river aswell

And in that scenario, it's a win / win situation for clubs like ourselves who have been huge clubs historically but have been left behind due to the TV money that has been ploughed into the big leagues over the last two decades.

Football will reset and become far more competitive if these super clubs all just f*ck off and play in their franchise league.

Im not so sure the players will be against it. Murray ran us into the ground stealing/borrowing from others and many of our ex players and managers still don't criticise the man as they got their cash and some medals.

For many now football is just about making as much money as possible and this will be the place to earn it.

And in that scenario, it's a win / win situation for clubs like ourselves who have been huge clubs historically but have been left behind due to the TV money that has been ploughed into the big leagues over the last two decades.

Football will reset and become far more competitive if these super clubs all just f*ck off and play in their franchise league.
My fear is though that the leagues will give in and allow them to remain in their domestic leagues with all the extra billions they'll earn.

As for Corden: Yeah he's a massive lady's front bottom, but he's also an actual football fan so he knows what's at stake.

Ban these clubs from all Euro competitions for x number of years and relegate them to the lowest league within their country. Pity the fans will suffer.

I read yesterday that the agreement for super league runs for 23 years.

So, ban them from domestic and UEFA competition for 23 years. Don’t let them come crawling back in 3 years pleading for reentry. And if they do want back in 23 years, start them at the bottom of the pyramid.

It’s a massive mistake and would soon become extremely boring,

That’s exactly why they want the ‘have your cake and eat it’ approach of continuing to play in domestic leagues imo.

Have this Harlem Globetrotters Franchise competition for a few years to plug the massive gaps in finance, when people start to get bored of it and the numbers drop off jettison the whole thing and go back to focusing on domestic leagues and/or UEFA competitions like nothing happened.

Perez’s interview last night basically admitted as much, it’s a solution to the financial problems these clubs have had as a result of COVID. While I can sympathise to an extent that some of that is beyond their control everybody else is in the same boat.

My fear is though that the leagues will give in and allow them to remain in their domestic leagues with all the extra billions they'll earn.

As for Corden: Yeah he's a massive lady's front bottom, but he's also an actual football fan so he knows what's at stake.

I can see them crumbling as well. Maybe accepting a redistribution of the wealth from these ESL clubs but if they do that, they're just as bad as the clubs trying to break away as they are allowing themselves to be bought.

That’s exactly why they want the ‘have your cake and eat it’ approach of continuing to play in domestic leagues imo.

Have this Harlem Globetrotters Franchise competition for a few years to plug the massive gaps in finance, when people start to get bored of it and the numbers drop off jettison the whole thing and go back to focusing on domestic leagues and/or UEFA competitions like nothing happened.

Perez’s interview last night basically admitted as much, it’s a solution to the financial problems these clubs have had as a result of COVID. While I can sympathise to an extent that some of that is beyond their control everybody else is in the same boat.

''The legacy'' fans would lose interest. Would the new fans of the future though in all these untapped markets? That's the gamble they are taking.

Football is becoming bigger in The US with every passing year and it's f*cking massive in Asia.

IF Uefa had any balls they would ditch the seeding/coefficient system and make the Champions League for league champions only.
It will never happen of course but if they really want to make the competition as fair as it can be then that is what they should do.
They should also re-introduce the Cup-winners cup and limit the national entries to the Uefa cup to 2 or 3 places based on the size of the domestic league.
Trial this format for 3 years and see if it affects the precious TV audiences as much as they undoubtedly fear it will.

Im not so sure the players will be against it. Murray ran us into the ground stealing/borrowing from others and many of our ex players and managers still don't criticise the man as they got their cash and some medals.

For many now football is just about making as much money as possible and this will be the place to earn it.

the Talksport drive show considered this
its down to what would happen to players that take part in it

if they're banned from playing for their countries - they might reconsider
and you'd end up with it being a place for money grabber jobbers & players past their international best

This is a cop out, and actually hilarious from him - proper spit your coffee on your laptop stuff, he adopted a policy of signing players for inflated fees 20 years ago.

It was always going to catch up with him.

He should have been curtailed out of Madrid in chains years ago.

If that's how it's gonna, let them fck off. It's hard to understand what it means for us, do we get bigger, do we lose out, how do proper teams react?

Must say, we'll played the Germans who appear to be having none of it.

I think we will eventually see the two groups of ten teams being based in China and America on a rotation. Host cities offering mega money to have a team play in their city. The playoffs and final going to quatar or dubai for billions.
Franchise football like the NFL.
Liverpool Shanghai v L.A Madrid.

As for the 5 invite teams what happens at the end of the season would they be accepted back into domestic leagues or face football exile for ever

You are correct , the stench of hypocrisy is strong here.
The other 14 Pl teams are happy being in that big rich tent pissing outwards. now, they find there may be an even better tent , with more money and they cannot get into it- toys out the pram.

Also, on the Athletic this morning, they quote clause 6.1.1 of a standard PL player contract, which states that the clubs must adhere to all regulatory rules, be it FIFA, uefa, FA Pl or EL. Clubs cannot do anything to stop a player featuring for their country.
This means , in theory, any club leaving these competitions is in breach of contract- so rangers can scoop up kevin de bruyne for free!!!!!!

I’m not getting the stench of hypocrisy. The point is they can piss outwards and if you can get past the piss then you are in the tent. What the Super league is doing is zipping up the tent so nobody gets in

There is a chance that 2 of the 4 Champions league places in the EPL will go to non Big 6. Every year there is promotion and relegation and every year smaller teams get the chance to be promoted and fight to stay up.

I'm just listening to Carra and Neville recap last night from MNF.

Carragher just said something along the lines of we've had big changes in football before, like the CL and EPL 20 years ago and ''personally I think these changes have been fantastic for football''.

It's hard to take him serious with nonsense and hypocrisy like that.

Ask fans of massive clubs from leagues outside the wee elite bubble if they think those changes have been great for the game.

Other than for monetary reasons - do the likes of Spurs and Arsenal really think people would always tune in to their games when they finish bottom of this 'league' every season?

Aww 100% I agree that if they all %^*& off other clubs will replace them very quickly, the jonny come lately’s who jumped on the Man City bandwagon would quickly jump on a Leeds one if they started winning trophies and had a top side. That’s the flaw in their argument about “legacy fans”, they’re the ones who will stick by a club no matter what. These “future fans” they are on about have no allegiance and simply follow whatever is fashionable, and this ESL would die on its arse faster than they think

So Real Madrid and Barcelona are close to bankruptcy but rather than sell assets and suffer some years of poor performance like all other teams, they want to leave with the ball? Basically admitting that they are breaching FFP.
UEFA, Spanish FA and La Liga should have nipped it in the bud years ago but they were all on the gravy train.

Football bodies from FIFA to the SFA are incompetent and corrupt. I hope the ESL threat brings real change to these shadowy organisations.

It’s a massive mistake and would soon become extremely boring,
Exactly!
Who the %^*& wants to see Spurs v Chelsea 3 or 4 times a season?
I can barely stomach one!

The European Cup/Champions League has become somewhat predicable lately but look who has dumped Juventus out the tournament the last 3 seasons!

Teams earn the right to be there. To compete against the best because they have proved they are the best.
This Super League is an absolute disgrace to football, to competition and its values.
If this happens I am close to chucking it altogether.

The German teams hold the keys to this IMO.
If they hold the line and continue to support the ECL, then there are enough big "brands" left to make it an attractive competition. Obviously not as attractive, but if they decided to go back to free-to-air games in the same time window as the ESL, they could easily win the battle and hoover up the sponsorship. Watching the likes of Borussia/Bayern/PSG/us/them/Leeds/Newcastle/Leicester/Ajax/Feyenoord/Porto/Lazio/Roma for free versus whatever pay model this closed shop will operate may be more attractive to many fans.

I'm against this ESL but the hypocrisy of Sky and UEFA is absolutely mind blowing. The UEFA CL is set-up in such a way that they make sure the "elite" clubs are always there at the end. Clubs like us have to achieve a miracle to get anywhere near that trophy. Win our league at a canter, then have to go through multiple qualifying rounds. If we somehow manage that,UEFA are raging therefore want us out ASAP so we'll be "seeded" bottom of the group in order to get us out quickly.

As for Sky, they've already created their own greed-filled "Super League" in the Premier League. When I see everyone kicking off saying it'll no longer be the working mans game etc I have to chuckle a wee bit. It hasn't been for years.

There's players that play for clubs like Newcastle on like 60k+ a week.

If anything, this ESL might actually benefit clubs like us.

It's still nowhere near the same though is it?

I know Sky have boosted the English clubs' pockets to sickening amounts. But the highest wages in the world are in La Liga and even diddy leagues like the Mexican one pay players ridiculous amounts as well.

Re: the Champions League, aye it's harder for teams from smaller nations to even qualify (which I agree isn't fair), but there's also no guarantee big clubs qualify out of the groups. Man Utd never this year and Real Madrid were one game away from being papped out.

They want to play in this Super League instead of the Champions League but also stay in their domestic leagues.

Basically they'd get far more money than any other clubs who are still in the Champions League making the playing field even more unfair than it already is. All because clubs like Real and Barca are massively in debt.

2MHejBj.jpg

Would we, hand on heart, be against Rangers and the Scum being invited into the Premier League (before all this mention of the European Super League). I guess not.

Fans have to realize that the chase for money starts with them and unless they have any control of a club's direction (and we currently have none either) they will lose control of their clubs identity to the money men or women eventually.

Would we, hand on heart, be against Rangers and the Scum being invited into the Premier League (before all this mention of the European Super League). I guess not.

Fans have to realize that the chase for money starts with them and unless they have any control of a club's direction (and we currently have none either) they will lose control of their clubs identity to the money men or women eventually.
There’s a separate thread on that issue, but I categorically would be.

I would be against it.

Rangers is a Scottish club

Other than for monetary reasons - do the likes of Spurs and Arsenal really think people would always tune in to their games when they finish bottom of this 'league' every season?

Sporting merit or results aren’t a concern for anyone involved in this, so I expect they don’t really care.

Back