European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Not if their contract is legally binding

Perez is telling everybody he’s saving the world, while Juventus - who are listed on the SE - are saying it may not even get off the ground, or even detail the financials behind it.

Perez is a desperate bully trying to bluff his way through the shit storm he’s helped create.

Thought Klopp was an embarrassment tonight tbh trying to point score against Neville as he thinks thats what Liverpool fans want to here his mask slips yet again thought Nevilles reply was superb.
Klopp went massively down in my estimation. The fact he made his interview about him v Gary Neville was utterly bizarre when you consider the actual issue. Also the stuff coming out with the owners being great guys didn't help at all.

scumbags the lot of them, just read what Perez has said and I honestly can’t believe it, what an absolute tadger, poor Madrid losing money as if there the only team hurt during this pandemic, grade A helmet

Doesn't that back up the fact the government can do something about it?

After all they stopped football altogether for months last year.
Yes they stopped it in this country however Manchester Utd will probably be registered at the tampa bucs stadium and old Trafford will be a ground redundant!

The statements are Bonkers. Perhaps if these kvnts weren’t paying Gareth bale 600k per week or Messi similar they wouldn’t be so skint.

Messi actually brings in more than he earns btw. Just saying.

In general your point stands though.

Guys like Griezmann, Dembele, etc all bought for over £100m and earning £200-300k+ a week.

Same goes for Madrid with Hazard.

Yep. And those debts need paid given the pressures of COVID. Banks and Governments can't write of these obscene debts.

Exactly.

Nearly all of it is external debt.

The whole of Europe is going to be facing major austerity soon, and the banks cannot be seen to be indulging football clubs paying single players nearly £100 million per year.

In many ways I think the English club owners have been fanny dazzled by Real and Barca.

The Spanish clubs need this more.

When the English club owners wake up and realise what this means and feel the strength of passion and opposition from within their own clubs, this thing is falling apart.
I love how youve managed to get the term " fanny dazzled" into an impassioned FF thread on the future of european football.

I don’t pick that up at all! What can anyone do to stop them? No one could stop the revolt in 92? No one can stop this! Well Uefa can if they agree to hand over their bank log in details.

Surprised at Man City as they are close to PSG and want a clean image but obviously they see this as a money spinner that they can’t refuse
The revolt of 92 was backed by FA and UEFA. This isnt

So how does a player work if he can’t play? UEFA have referred to players being banned from all UEFA competitions. If that includes domestic leagues that feed into the CL and EL then that would ban then from playing for all but 15 teams. It’s not clear yet exactly what these bans would look like.

Also most of the players will have contracts already. They can’t just break those and the setting up of the ESL is nothing to do with them so how can you punish them?
When it comes to UEFA club competitions the clubs will be "banned" (or probably a more apt term would be ineligible) by the simple fact that they have relinquished UEFA membership to join the Super League. How can a player then play in the Europa League or CL if his club are not a member of said governing body? They can't. As I said, the term being bandied about is banned but ineligible is probably a better fit.
National games could be a different matter, but I doubt these "scab" players would be flavour of the month, so would their respective FAs select them?

He seems desperate, what baffles me is that the English clubs aren't so desperate and have thrown their lot in with them.

The English club owners are desperate as they only see the guaranteed $$$ signs being flashed at them - they probably didn't reckon on the fallout from it right enough.

The actual fans, managers and players have had absolutely no input but they will ultimately be the ones that call their bluff.

So the 14 other chairmen reading Perez tonight will just have gone up on the Richter scale and I would assume the premier league will want them sanctioned and sanctioned this week.

points deduction, fines and future penalties! Or you kick them out
the other 14 are also crapping themselves about their next tv deal though

He literally took a massive shit on both Manchester clubs during that interview lol

"When Madrid and Barcelona play, the world stops. It's a luxury that we have here. That doesn't happen during a Manchester derby."

And no doubt they will both ask for seconds.

Why would Porto be invited and not Benfica a club of higher standing in history. Porto have bigger debts?
If they cared about history then a lot of the clubs involved would be getting replaced by clubs who the likes of Perez sneer at

i.e us, ajax, psv, feyenoord, the tims, red star, olympiacos and many others

He literally took a massive shit on both Manchester clubs during that interview lol

"When Madrid and Barcelona play, the world stops. It's a luxury that we have here. That doesn't happen during a Manchester derby."

And no doubt they will both ask for seconds.
Its also exceedingly arrogant. El Clasico is a novelty for 99% of the people watching it, and the idea that the world stops for it is hilarious. Id put a hefty wager on that an Old Firm derby exhibits far more of that type of passion and interest from its (smaller pool of) viewers than El Clasico does. Can you imagine Madrid fans being like us on the morning of an Old Firm? Fucking no chance.

So 15 teams are guaranteed playing every year.

What happens if 2/3 of the ‘lucky’ qualifiers make the play offs or even win it? Do they just go back out the next year for the next 5 qualifiers??

Absolute farce.

Also a joke that they have spent 6 months on this and can’t even tell us how teams can qualify. With this mob it will probably be who has the nicest stadium or most Twitter followers ffs.

I wonder what the chairmen and owners of the other breakaway clubs will be thinking when they read Perez's insane ramblings tonight. Twitchy arseholes all round?

The Italian trio in particular seen fairly non-committal judging by their statement, yet here's old man Perez saying theres no backing out and prepared to go full nuclear with regards to FIFA / UEFA - and that's before you even take into account the patronising nonsense about beinh the saviours of football, shorter games etc.

And reading between the lines, you can't help but get the impression that this has all been cooked up with the main aim all along being to save Madrid and Barca from the utter financial mess they have created for themselves - they certainly appear to be the deepest in the mire and have the most to gain.

As another poster put it so eloquently, the other clubs may well have been "fanny dazzled" by his promises and the numbers involved, but grossly underestimated the universal negative response and potential punishments to the whole thing. I get that these owners are all cold, hard businessmen at the end of the day but will any of them blink in the war of words that will only ramp up further in the coming days? Time will tell. I think it's a 50/50 shot at this moment on time whether it goes all the way or not.

Literally sounds like the Spanish clubs are ducked financially and are panicking and need this

Liverpool and Man U owners love the American style
Chelsea and Man City weren’t for it but changed mind fear they would be left behind and Arsenal and Spurs were just happy for the invite

Its also exceedingly arrogant. El Clasico is a novelty for 99% of the people watching it, and the idea that the world stops for it is hilarious. Id put a hefty wager on that an Old Firm derby exhibits far more of that type of passion and interest from its (smaller pool of) viewers than El Clasico does. Can you imagine Madrid fans being like us on the morning of an Old Firm? Fucking no chance.
What half cut before breakfast news is on? No can’t see it. :)):))

So 15 teams are guaranteed playing every year.

What happens if 2/3 of the ‘lucky’ qualifiers make the play offs or even win it? Do they just go back out the next year for the next 5 qualifiers??

Absolute farce.

Also a joke that they have spent 6 months on this and can’t even tell us how teams can qualify. With this mob it will probably be who has the nicest stadium or most Twitter followers ffs.

looks like it
and i think qualifying is a loose term - how would a team qualify?
it will be invitational
sounds like you could have invited Team X finishing 4th but as their viewing figures & money generating levels are no good - bye bye

Spent the last couple of hours reading up on this and it seems that the vast majority are (rightly in my opinion) very strongly opposed to the closed shop invitation only set up.

What are the good Bears on FF"s opinions on it if there was a second tier with another 20 clubs including Rangers in it, with promotion and relegation at both ends of the structure?

Personally I hate the provincial hate filled hacking is good bastard abomination of a league that we're stuck in and would love to properly mix it up with the big clubs on a more regular basis.
I want no part of it in the slightest.

Back